28.02.11

Scarlett Johansson In Dolce & Gabbana – 2011 Oscars

Missing MoJo Award
When you think of Scarlett Johansson and Dolce & Gabbana, you are expecting a jaw dropping moment.

At the 2011 Oscars ScarJo wore Dolce, but my jaw is still perfectly intact.

In fact I find this Bordeaux one of a kind Dolce & Gabbana lace gown with an open back quite boring and dated.

Nicole Kidman would have worn this dress back in 1999.

This dress is doing nothing for the Dolce & Gabbana cosmetic and fragrance brand ambassador.

I was hoping this would be the chance she would get to prove she hasn’t lost her mojo, but I think this only confirms it.

What happened to the blonde bombshell we all knew and loved?

Next…

A gold Jimmy Choo ‘Cloud’ clutch completed her look.

Credit: INFEvents

Best Dressed Of The Week - Jessica Alba in Houghton & Osman, Chloe Grace Moretz In Simone Rocha, Damon Wayans Jr. In Dolce & Gabbana & Daniel Radcliffe In Raf Simons

Best Dressed Of The Week – Jessica Alba in Houghton & Osman, Chloe Grace Moretz In Simone Rocha, Damon Wayans Jr. In Dolce & Gabbana & Daniel Radcliffe In Raf Simons

Mandy Moore In Monique Lhuillier - 2011 Oscars

Mandy Moore In Monique Lhuillier – 2011 Oscars

51 Responses to Scarlett Johansson In Dolce & Gabbana – 2011 Oscars

1. Laura February 28, 2011 at 03:03 #

I don’t know. I kinda dig it. The hair is wrong, but the color and lace are kinda cute to me. This isn’t something everyone was wearing, and while it’s not my best dressed, I did like it.

2. Ashley February 28, 2011 at 03:05 #

Ugh is what I thought when I saw this. Worst dressed nominee for me!

3. Jones19 February 28, 2011 at 03:08 #

I like it but don’t love it. The black ruins the lace for me.

4. maria February 28, 2011 at 03:08 #

while i agree that it’s not spectacular i do like it. she has a wonderful body and the raspberry colour is very luscious on her.

5. nichelle February 28, 2011 at 03:09 #

maybe there was supposed to more but dolce and gabbana ran out of time. it seems like there is something missing

6. molly February 28, 2011 at 03:11 #

She looks incredible, but this is not a good look for the Oscars. A movie premiere? Yes. Oscars? No.
    But, I love this color on her and her makeup is perfect.

7. Shaina February 28, 2011 at 03:12 #

Well, at least her makeup looks nice.

8. PamG February 28, 2011 at 03:13 #

The hair and makeup weren’t great – kind of unrefined and messy, and the dress was only OK.

9. Ethne Blist February 28, 2011 at 03:15 #

Michelle Williams lost her Ms. Frump award and bequeathed it to ScarJo.

10. Ariel February 28, 2011 at 03:18 #

I would’ve loved to see another Elie Saab gown on her as she looks fabulous in them. The dress is nothing great but love the color on her & her eye makeup.

11. Alicat February 28, 2011 at 03:20 #

The dress is ok. Her makeup is beautiful. What spoils the look is her hair. It is styled very casually, and does not suit the dress nor the occasion.

12. Mary February 28, 2011 at 03:23 #

You know what Coco Chanel said about taking one thing off before you leave?

Should have been her eyeshadow.

• Fashion Critic February 28, 2011 at 03:38 #

lol… :)

• KateS February 28, 2011 at 03:47 #

definitely lol!

• Emi February 28, 2011 at 09:28 #

LOL for me, too!

13. aiyu February 28, 2011 at 03:23 #

ditto. didn’t love her makeup either

14. Raquel February 28, 2011 at 03:26 #

Post-divorce funk?

• Marvel February 28, 2011 at 12:18 #

My thoughts exactly. I would have thought that after her divorce (and with Sandy Bullock) being there she would have went all ‘Jessica Rabbit’ but she didnt. This just gets a thumbs down from me and her hair is so ‘Blake Lively’ messy.

15. Elisa February 28, 2011 at 03:26 #

Can we have an honorable mention to Camila Alves, Mrs. Matthew McConaughey? She looked like a sexy flamenco dancer in mourning for the husband that she secretly poisoned. I mean that in a good way.

• Raquel February 28, 2011 at 03:45 #

So true!! She looks stunning!

16. Amy Harrison February 28, 2011 at 03:28 #

I actually really loved this dress. The colour is gorgeous and really complimented Scarlett’s skintone. I thought the silhouette was totally figure flattering and the lace was ultra feminine. My absolute fave was the cutout in the back, which added some sex appeal. Have to say though, I hated the hair. Looked like Edward Scissorhands got loose on SJ.

17. robbie February 28, 2011 at 03:30 #

would have looked much nicer if it was black.

18. Laura February 28, 2011 at 03:46 #

This gown could make the sales in purple/ colored lace rise. Even though we’ve been seeing lace all over the runways it is hard to pull off in a gown without looking like colored bridal gown. I doubt this gown will make Dolce & Gabanna’s sales increase. It is cute but it’s not that cute.

19. Fanny February 28, 2011 at 03:55 #

Looked much better on TV.

• L February 28, 2011 at 17:30 #

Agreed!!!

20. anna February 28, 2011 at 04:03 #

The hair is terrible, the eye makeup is worse. And the color is just a tad wrong for her skin tone. Otherwise she looks fab! I mean, there really isn’t a lot wrong but all the wrong just really adds up to ehs-ville

21. The Dame February 28, 2011 at 05:32 #

Best Dressed of the night for me! Loved her hair, loved the colour of the dress, loved the design in the back.

Scarlett, Mila and Natalie were the best for me.

• Jennifer L February 28, 2011 at 13:26 #

FINALLY. I thought she looked amazing!!! That colour is just such a breath of fresh air, I couldn’t stop looking at it all night!! i thot she looked H.O.T. and I’m glad she took the risk. It was one of those looks where I wasn’t thinking “who designed it?” I was just thinking “Damn!!”

22. candice February 28, 2011 at 05:34 #

she is gorgeous hands down.

but the hair was too informal for my taste, and the dress was unflattering and an ugly, muted color.

CC

23. Leti February 28, 2011 at 05:48 #

I completely agree with you, FC! This look is a total let down, especially for the Oscars.

24. karen February 28, 2011 at 06:02 #

I love Scarlett but judging from these photos, I don’t know what to say because I am speechless. And NOT in a good way. I think she looks better as a blonde.

25. Danielle February 28, 2011 at 06:13 #

I agree with FC. Everytime I looked at the gown, I thought Drew Barrymore would have looked better

26. Andreea February 28, 2011 at 08:01 #

What’s with the hair?What’s with the dress?So dissappointed..

27. elena February 28, 2011 at 08:13 #

Worst make up award??
    What’s wrong with her?? she looks terrible. I hate everyting about her!!!! :(

28. nicky February 28, 2011 at 08:50 #

she’s definitely lost the spark she used to have…scarlett doesn’t wear the dress well at all. the plum colour is wrong on her and the lace isn’t flattering. the worst is the hair and make up though…tragic

29. Emi February 28, 2011 at 09:37 #

I don’t think that at the Oscars women must wear huge sparkling fairy gowns, some modern looks are great, for example Natalie’s. Said that, the dress looks like a huge doily, the hair would be right for a premiere, it seems she went out without drying it, the make up is a disaster, the eyeshadow is terrible and I’m gonna write something really unpopular but I’m not the only one who thinks it: this girl is a good actress, but she’s totally overrated, she’s not beautiful at all. If you ask men what they find in her, most of them will say the same thing, which I can’t write here for obvious reasons.

30. SarahV February 28, 2011 at 11:53 #

Are you kidding me?? To the Oscars?!
    Wasn’t she always the most glamorous princess out there? :(

31. elena February 28, 2011 at 12:11 #

According to the most famous spanish newspaper…Scarlett has been chosen has “worst dress, worst make up, worst hair” of the Oscar…
    Wouhaaaa that is a lot of worst!!!!

• Fashion Critic February 28, 2011 at 13:08 #

but all deserved

• Jennifer L February 28, 2011 at 13:29 #

FC a bit harsh don’t u think!! Honestly, Florence Welch’s hair and make-up were way worse than this! And such a frump!! I don’t get why you think Scarlett is frumpier than Florence. And it’s not because this is Florence’s “look” because she has been known to break out the sexy look too!

• elena February 28, 2011 at 14:17 #

Defenetly….. I agree with you FC

32. HAUTESTUFF February 28, 2011 at 13:39 #

Can we at least make her a best hair and make-up nominee? I think she looks smoking hot!

33. Alexandra February 28, 2011 at 14:36 #

could have worked if the makeup and hair were better…

34. StyleSaveur February 28, 2011 at 18:36 #

Nicole Kidman in ’99 is the PERFECT way to sum up this whole look … except Kidman’s hair and makeup would have been better. I understand she wanted to do something differenct and unexpected of her but I was not impressed, not a fan of this look on her at all. She needs a new stylist.

35. Hannah February 28, 2011 at 19:40 #

I honeslty hated this dress. I think frumpy, I hate the conjunctivital makeup, the couldnt be bothered hair. I know she is goign through a divorce but I wish she had done a sandra and looked killer, not frumpy, especially with Dolce and Gabbana.

36. datebiskot February 28, 2011 at 22:34 #

You’re all being really unnecessarily critical. I actually think this is a very nice dress for her. The shape suits her well, and I really like the colour. But I agree with the person who said that maybe her eyeshadow is too much. I don’t think it looks bad, but maybe she could have toned it down a bit.

37. mochababe73 March 1, 2011 at 02:07 #

Scarlett looks as though she’s wearing a black slip underneath the dress.
    I don’t like it because it just looks too casual. More for the Independent Spirits. Not the Oscars.

38. The Bride March 1, 2011 at 02:09 #

This dress should get an award for managing the seemingly impossible feat of making ScarJo look less than hot. Didn’t think that was possible but there you are…

39. pascha March 1, 2011 at 03:03 #

She is usually so gorgeous but this dress was a total WTF fashion moment.

Seeing her walk out on stage in that thing reminded me of that sinking feeling I got when in Pretty in Pink Molly Ringwald stepped out in her DIY prom dress.

That being said Scarlett’s dress with all its crimson lace would probably be best left in the 80′s too. :(

40. Sharon March 1, 2011 at 17:53 #

My mother wore a beautiful cream lace bridal gown. After the wedding, cut off the skirt and dyed the dress purple. If she’d have cut out the back, she’d have had this dress. I didn’t like my mom’s purple dress and I don’t like this one.

41. Katie March 8, 2011 at 15:10 #

I have to agree with everything you said FC…Scarlett is stunning ,but this dress is just blah nothing different about it ,especially for the Oscars…