Nicole Kidman In Christian Dior – 2011 Oscars

My honest immediate reaction to Nicole Kidman’s Christian Dior Spring 2009 Couture gown at the 2011 Oscars was dislike.

After looking at her white bustier column gown with silver embroidered details a few more times, I think it’s growing on me.

I don’t love it, but there is something about it that’s keeping me interested.

Had this gown been in a deep purple colour like Natalie Portman’s gown I think I would’ve been persuaded to love it.

I think the major problem is that Nicole isn’t really selling the look.

The Australian actress continues to have a love affair with Pierre Hardy heels. On this occasion she opted for a coral peep-toe sandal.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Natalie Portman In Rodarte - 2011 Oscars

Natalie Portman In Rodarte – 2011 Oscars

Gwyneth Paltrow In Calvin Klein - 2011 Oscars

Gwyneth Paltrow In Calvin Klein – 2011 Oscars

44 Responses to Nicole Kidman In Christian Dior – 2011 Oscars

1. Jennifer L February 28, 2011 at 01:57 #

Right with ya FC. When I first saw it I thought “Oh, there we have our Worst Dressed of the Night”. It just looked like waaaayy too much fabric, and then creased because of it. But yea, it’s been growing on me since. I love the pictures of her with Gwyneth Paltrow, they both look so happy. But Gwyneth totally outshines her!!

2. Ev February 28, 2011 at 01:58 #

I am not loving the heels and the lack of posing (just look at the model! she is fierce!). The dress is gorgeous though.

3. PamG February 28, 2011 at 02:03 #

I agree with you, FC! It is an interesting look, but I don’t love it even though I want to. Part of the problem is the fit of the dress. Especially on TV, the bodice was poorly tailored and didn’t move with her.

4. Raquel February 28, 2011 at 02:04 #

The choker and the hair KILL it for me. The dress is so structured that I think her hair should be loose and the chest bare. Imagineif she had her natural fab curls there?

5. Rachel February 28, 2011 at 02:04 #

I don’t like it on her. On the model looks great, but on her…oh no!

• Leti February 28, 2011 at 06:04 #

Agreed! Plus, it doesn’t quite look properly fitted to Nicole, it looks a little loose on the waist.

• Marvel February 28, 2011 at 12:11 #

Yep I agree that it looks better on the model but kudos to Nicole for stepping outside the box

• noo February 28, 2011 at 13:18 #

definitely, she stuck to white but she gave us something risky from the designer who gave us the first amazing look from her :D

6. Ariel February 28, 2011 at 02:07 #

I like the silver embroidery on the dress. Silver shoes would’ve been prefered though.

7. maria February 28, 2011 at 02:08 #

this dress photographs well from the front, but looks horrible in motion and from the side. It makes her look really wide. I don’t think she was comfortable in it. She definitely should have worn the Grammy dress tonight.

8. Taylor February 28, 2011 at 02:10 #

At least its not L’Wren Scott!! haha she is at least taking risks again…though nothing can top her Grammy’s gown for me. also did you hear tht John Galliano got fired from Dior? im in shock!

9. Laura February 28, 2011 at 02:11 #

I was shocked anyone wore Dior tonight. And I don’t think Nicole did it well. Way too much going on and Nicole’s not selling it at all. Don’t really love the styling of this. Too cutesy for such a fierce dress. Nicole hasn’t been killing it this awards season, and this gown sums up her awards season pretty well.

10. mol February 28, 2011 at 02:12 #

I’m not a fancy jewelry fan, but I really loved a whole lot her necklace and the way it played off of her starburst bodice – and I think overall I liked this quite alot, the structure of it, loved her hair and the surprise of the shoes – it’s not shouting homerun to me, but I liked quite a bit…..

11. Alicat February 28, 2011 at 02:12 #

It is a gorgeous gown but perhaps in danger of looking bridal due to the choice of colour. I like the detailing and structure around the hips as it gives Nicole a more shapely silhouette. In a more “look at me” colour, this gown would have been ravishing. Purple would be a good choice with Nicole’s colouring. PS I do not understand the choice of coral shoes with this gown.

12. Dirk February 28, 2011 at 02:13 #

I was like ‘disaster!’ when i first saw it, but yeah, it has definitely grown on me.

I don’t know why Nicole just won’t let us love her. lol. There’s always something holding her back. It looks amazing at certain angles, and odd with others. It’s a hard dress to sell, but she’s doing a good job with it. She either goes for easy or super-hard when it comes to picking out and selling it. But hey! at least she’s trying and it’s not L’Wren Scott.

A for effort and for not going home when seeing Cate Blanchett. ;) But i’m extremely biased when it comes to Nicole though. She could be wearing a hula skirt and i’d find something redeeming in her.

hmmm…i think she would’ve looked fantastic in this white dress that Anne Hathaway is currently wearing though.

• Fashion Critic February 28, 2011 at 02:22 #

I feel like that too…she won’t let us love her when we so desperately want to.

• Dirk February 28, 2011 at 03:00 #

Nicole, why won’t you let us love you?

(which totally sounds like something a stalker would totally say. haha)

13. Ashley February 28, 2011 at 02:17 #

Definite dislike. She’s done too many similar white dresses and this is not the best.

14. Marlyn February 28, 2011 at 02:20 #

I really don’t like her hair. I wished the dress was more fitted to have the same silhouette as the model. She needs more attitude for the dress. I’ll give her credit for wearing something other than L’wren Scott

15. aiyu February 28, 2011 at 02:49 #

I love the shoes though

16. KateS February 28, 2011 at 02:51 #

The hair, necklace and pose combine to suck all the life out of this. It’s not terrible, but it’s really not as good as it feels like it should have been.

17. Shaina February 28, 2011 at 02:55 #

I wish she had the confidence to wear this gown because if she did, it would have been perfect.

18. mochababe73 February 28, 2011 at 03:04 #

I wanted to like it, but I just couldn’t. I don’t like it on the model, and it’s even worse on Nicole.
    I don’t even think it’s the dress. It’s the styling-hair, jewelry, shoes…On top of that, Nicole is definitely not working it.

19. Jones19 February 28, 2011 at 03:16 #

I want to love it but I just don’t…sorry Nicole.

20. Ethne Blist February 28, 2011 at 03:21 #

If this was a nice baby blue this would have been DIVINE. I like that she is wearing a pretty fierce dress for her style, and the shoes work with the white, but her hair is 60’s frump.

21. The.Shoe.Freak February 28, 2011 at 03:48 #

I loved it from the minute i saw it. Something completely different and bold, She looks absolutely gorgeous.

and i hated Amy Adams & Penelope Cruz L’Wren Scott’s dresses…thank god she didn’t wear her.

• geisha March 2, 2011 at 09:21 #

exactly! i LOVED it from the first second. love, totally.

22. pipsqueak February 28, 2011 at 05:12 #

I like the gown, but the hair didn’t go well with it. Overall, I agree with you that Nicole wasn’t selling the look. I’m also not loving the shoes.

23. candice February 28, 2011 at 05:37 #

nicole used to be a fashion darling. a red carpet goddess.

what happened??? it is so simple to see how unflattering this dress is around her hips. come on. even if it is dior couture, doesn’t mean u shld choose it!

also, what is with her horrendous choice of shoes??!!!!

CC

24. karen February 28, 2011 at 06:13 #

Nicole used to be so amazing on the red carpet and then just one disappointment after another for the past few years. I wonder why. Is it her or has she changed her stylists? Tonight she looked ordinary, like a clueless newbie going to her first award show.I did not like this dress. Can’t believe it was DIOR. The bustier part of dress with the darts is hideous. The bottom part and shoes just gets worse. And why the ponytail?

25. Danielle February 28, 2011 at 06:19 #

I like it but I don’t love it. Maybe it the shape of the skirt

26. Andreea February 28, 2011 at 08:07 #

I actually like it. The only thing that i dont’t like about her look is her shoes.But for me she looked great.

27. nicky February 28, 2011 at 08:57 #

i actually like this look. its different and daring…something we’re not quite used to seeing nicole do before. i’m really glad that she’s experimenting with fashion but i do agree she had better looks during the awards season. nicole is sophisticated and poised enough to pull off this dramatic look…she doesn’t inject any personality but i think it works on her. i just wished she got rid of that necklace.

28. Emi February 28, 2011 at 10:01 #

Potentially it was a great look, but it was styled quite bad. the hairstyle is so boring, and, most of all, ages her. The choker is useless. The color of the dress is not right for her, it washes her out. She should keep the J.P. Gaultier for the Oscars, everything of that look was perfect. Where is the Nicole of the “old good times”?

29. Kimma February 28, 2011 at 11:16 #

I actually really like this on her. Not my all-time favourite of her looks, but not as bad as the haters are making out.

30. M February 28, 2011 at 11:51 #

i tink she’s taking risks again. some good, some not soo good, some bad. but come on… they are celebs alrite… but they r humans too.. stylists r humans too… sometimes it may b a bad choice… but certain commenta were way too harsh.. on my end.. i kinda liked it… cos its different frm wat everyone was wearing… it may not b her best, but certainly not her worst…

31. Marvel February 28, 2011 at 12:07 #

I like that she didnt go for the predictable look and she is keeping things intrresting but she should have saved her Grammy dress for the Oscar. A nice look but she aint selling it to me.

32. Paulo February 28, 2011 at 14:24 #

I like that in the past few weeks we have seen Nicole wear more of a variety when it comes to her designer choices: Gaultier Couture and Dior Couture. Hopefully she’ll be adding more to this list in the near future.

I like that Nicole has taken a risk of wearing something different than what she’s been sporting lately.

33. Anissa February 28, 2011 at 15:29 #

Honestly I really like it. Yes she’s not working it as much as she could but it’s still a change for her and I don’t feel like the dress is wearing her…oh what a spectacular look it could have been through in a stunning emerald green!

34. Colleen February 28, 2011 at 15:31 #

At first, I was all “What the heck is she wearing?” but than she walked out on to the stage with Hugh Jackman and I fell in love with it. The way she walked in it, the way it moved with her…to me, it was beautiful. The only thing I would have changed was her hair. Something more elegant would have worked better. Overall, I thought she looked beautiful.

35. Camille February 28, 2011 at 18:57 #

The hair just kills this dress. Don’t like the way it is pulled back, and those bangs are horrible. They look lank and dirty even, just not flattering and a total mismatch for this opulent gown.

Also, hate the shoes. While I love a pop of color more than most, this was the wrong color entirely for this gown. Silver or even blush would have worked sooooo much better. The coral is just not a match for this gown, they looked cheap.

36. Hannah February 28, 2011 at 19:49 #

I so hate the pop of colour on this look. I think higher sivler snadals, a much better pose and the dress beign crisper woudl ahve worked a lot better. I like it, but it falls flat in terms of its potential. I think it is lvoely to see ehr tryign to resurrect her fashion icon status again, I was just expecting more.

37. SB March 1, 2011 at 05:21 #

The dress she wore to the Grammys killed all over this. Does nothing for me.

38. Katie March 8, 2011 at 15:12 #

I just don’t like it at all..i think the colour also drains her…