Michelle Williams In Chanel Couture – 2011 Oscars

Most Improved Award
After being universally classed as frumpy at the 2011 Golden Globes Awards Michelle Williams redeems herself at the 2011 Oscars tonight.

Her Chanel Spring 2011 Couture fully beaded gown has been modified from the runway to have a slinkier silhouette, which I’m sure you’ll all agree is a huge improvement.

It wasn’t just the dress I loved, but the whole package.

The hair and make-up were also vastly improved from the Globes.

She took that criticism and turn it into perfection.

Credit: Style.com & Zuma Press

Live Stream: Elie Saab Fall 2014 Couture

Live Stream: Elie Saab Fall 2014 Couture

Scarlett Johansson In Dolce & Gabbana - 2011 Oscars

Scarlett Johansson In Dolce & Gabbana – 2011 Oscars

41 Responses to Michelle Williams In Chanel Couture – 2011 Oscars

1. mm February 28, 2011 at 02:52 #

I love the look but the neckline is getting repetitive

2. Anne February 28, 2011 at 02:52 #

I love this dress on her, but it kind of reminds me of the Jason Wu dress she wore to the Venice Film Festival. But she still looks amazing!

• Rachel February 28, 2011 at 03:10 #

Deja Vu dress! You’re right!

• Kaylie February 28, 2011 at 05:00 #

I thought the exact same thing! Add a little bow on the neckline, and it’s the same dress.

• Marvel February 28, 2011 at 12:19 #

Agreed. The dress is quite similliar but she looks nice here but it couldnt have hurt to smile

• noo February 28, 2011 at 13:03 #

that is because she took a gorgeous flowy chanel and tightened it till it became the same silhouette she wears, she should have stuck with jason wu!!!!!

• Kristen February 28, 2011 at 17:08 #

100% agree! I was going crazy last night that no one was commenting on how similar the two dresses are!

3. Tamia February 28, 2011 at 02:53 #

She looks stunning!!my fav along with hallee steinfield and cate blanchet ( my queen!) my only criticism is that its VERY similar to her venice film festival dress…but when you look this stunning and iconic,who cares?!lol

4. mochababe73 February 28, 2011 at 02:54 #

I like that it’s more form fitting, but I don’t like the sheerness. Just a personal preference. Even with that, Michelle wears it better than the model.

5. Laura February 28, 2011 at 02:54 #

This reminds me of that Jason Wu dress she wore a while ago. I wish she’d bust out a bold color like the Vera Wang she wore. This dress is much the same of what Michelle has been wearing.

6. Alicat February 28, 2011 at 02:55 #

The gown as presented on the runway is awful – more granny’s nightie than anything. The modifications made for Michelle, especially making it more fitting, are an enormous improvement, but I still don’t like it. For such a young woman, she really seems to have a preference for dowdy, frumpy dresses. Remember that golden, yellow gown a number of years back? That was fabulous on her!

7. Raquel February 28, 2011 at 02:56 #

Huhhmm, not sure. She looks much better, but I think the problem with Michelle is that she always looks kind of… uncomfortable, like Kristin Stewart, most of the time, anyway.

You know who would have rocked this dress? Kirsten Dunst.

• Fashion Critic February 28, 2011 at 03:04 #

for sure

8. Elisa February 28, 2011 at 02:57 #

I, for one, think she got lost on the way to bingo night in a fancy cruise ship. YAWN!

9. molly February 28, 2011 at 02:57 #

I love this. Shes so elegant. This is very Audrey Hepburn/ Grace Kelly esque. So lovely!

10. From Russia With Love February 28, 2011 at 02:58 #

Jason Wu deja-vu

• Moxie February 28, 2011 at 03:25 #

“Jason Wu deja-vu” – LOVE IT! I had the same thought when I saw her.

11. Amanda February 28, 2011 at 02:58 #

Beautiful! She and caterine are my faves tonight.

12. Shaina February 28, 2011 at 02:59 #

It’s a gorgeous dress, but it doesn’t excite me.

13. Dirk February 28, 2011 at 03:01 #

VERY nice. Much better than the runway version. Plus, it’s hard to wear something like that if you’re self conscious. She’s got the body for it.

14. Ala February 28, 2011 at 03:02 #

This look is so de ja vu… and not in a good way. It reminded me right away of her jason wu gown (http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2010/09/06/2010-venice-film-festival-meeks-cutoff-premiere-michelle-williams-in-jason-wu/) along with a mixture of others (like her balenciaga that she wore in january)

I was honestly hoping to be floored by her like I was in her mustard yellow Vera Wang… ohh how I miss those days…

15. Jones19 February 28, 2011 at 03:12 #

So sick of the grandma neckline. Switch it up Michelle!

16. PamG February 28, 2011 at 03:15 #

I find the hair very monochromatic and the eyes and brows a bit heavy. The dress is much improved, but I think she can do better.

17. Ethne Blist February 28, 2011 at 03:17 #

BDOTW worthy I say. She made this awful runway dress actually SOMETHING.

18. robbie February 28, 2011 at 03:31 #

it looks beautiful but i prefer the runway version. although saying that the version michelle chose is more oscar worthy.

19. mol February 28, 2011 at 03:40 #

She’s beautiful, but like others, I say that kind of neckline has to go Michelle……

20. Rhoda Sternberg February 28, 2011 at 03:49 #

stiff, boring, no sex appeal. she looks tortured. why can’t she smile?

• elena February 28, 2011 at 08:16 #

100 % agree with you!!! borring! Always the same!!

• Allywan February 28, 2011 at 21:06 #

Agreed. I feel like she was struggling to walk in it too. She was tip toe-ing around the red carpet.

21. Caitlin February 28, 2011 at 05:20 #

I was expecting her to wear the Jason Wu dress that was just presented as it looks similar to this look and also to her other Jason Wu dress.

22. candice February 28, 2011 at 05:34 #

liked this dress, but like others have said, looks too similar to the jason wu dress she’s already worn recently..

CC

23. Leti February 28, 2011 at 05:53 #

As was stated by almost every other poster, she looked beautiful, but this was definitely a deja vu dress. I found this look far more predictable than Mandy Moore’s. I’m glad she didn’t wear black, but I would love to see her wear some color, and not just on her eyebrows!

24. Danielle February 28, 2011 at 06:14 #

I really thought that she looked beautiful

25. Andreea February 28, 2011 at 08:02 #

She looks like an angel.Yes,she is into the same kind of dresses but i love this look.

26. nicky February 28, 2011 at 08:52 #

much improved! this isn’t a look we haven’t seen before but it’s classic michelle williams. thank goodness she did not wear the dress off the runway

27. Emi February 28, 2011 at 09:41 #

I agree K. Dunst would look great with this dress. I like it on her, anyway, she looks good; a statement jewel would have been good for me, anyway.

28. Kimma February 28, 2011 at 11:06 #

Definitely wins the award for most improved. I love this look on her.

29. SarahV February 28, 2011 at 11:54 #

It’s kind of boring looking to me…

30. cindy February 28, 2011 at 14:16 #

I knew it….I knew she would be so damn predictable. I had picked that dress for her last week and I bid a 20$ on it with my friend. Lol, at least I won, but I would have loved to see her in something a little bit different. Love the hair and make up here.

31. emily February 28, 2011 at 18:01 #

Why does she always have to wear the exact same kind of dresses to every single event? Boring.

32. Hannah February 28, 2011 at 19:43 #

I honeslty find her painfully boring, always. I so badly miss that spark and that gorgoes mustard yellow gown we all know and lvoe her for. Had she not changed this dress I would have probably adored it, it would ahve been somethign different and in my opinion much mor ebeautiful. I am not ahuge fan of the runway silhouette for red carpet, but I would ahve prefered it to yet another column gown. She always seesm to go one of two routes: column gown with highneckline and sleeves of some sort, or shortish strapless puffball dress, both in boring sad neautral tones. I find this shape very unflattering in this case.