28.02.11

Marisa Tomei In Lily et Cie 1950 Charles James – 2011 Oscars

On The Fence Award
Marisa Tomei wore Lily et Cie 1950 Charles James gown to the 2011 Oscars last night.

Every Oscars we need a gown like this to split us into ‘love it’ or ‘hate it’ camps.

The gown itself is outstanding. I adore the deep eggplant colour.

Her seductive gown has an asymmetrical voluminous skirt and a fitted bodice.

The bodice is what brings down this look. I wish it was more tailored to fit Marisa better. From the close up it looks ill-fitted and lumpy.

I love the idea of this look, but needed a bit more work to be perfect.

Van Cleef & Arpels jewels, a Cartier clutch, side swept hair and Jimmy Choo heels completed her look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Lily Allen In Chanel - 'Saving Mr Banks' London Film Festival Closing Night Gala Premiere

Lily Allen In Chanel – ‘Saving Mr Banks’ London Film Festival Closing Night Gala Premiere

2011 Oscars Round-Up

2011 Oscars Round-Up

22 Responses to Marisa Tomei In Lily et Cie 1950 Charles James – 2011 Oscars

1. hsua February 28, 2011 at 14:36 #

is an original and vintage look, which is usual marisa
    i love it

2. robbie February 28, 2011 at 14:44 #

cheap and tacky.

3. msd February 28, 2011 at 14:47 #

I like Tomei but the dress looks amateurish, as though someone hacked two different dresses in half and then sewed them back together.

4. Leti February 28, 2011 at 15:11 #

I didn’t really like the dress. Yes the bodice is ill fitting, but I think the skirt was even worse–it was far to voluminous for wear it hit her on her body. I didn’t like her hair either–it was too modern for the dress. I very much prefer the column dress she wore after the awards.

5. marian February 28, 2011 at 15:19 #

i loved the dress. i think the fit is right – just classic 50s which did that weird heart shape thing. but i get it. also, on tv i saw her earrings which were AMAZING. i thought she rocked it.

• mol February 28, 2011 at 16:27 #

I have to agree with you – I thought she came across beautifully in her Red Carpet interview and also, on stage. She didn’t wear the dress in an over determined way, it was all done in a very simple and charming way.

6. Ethne Blist February 28, 2011 at 15:34 #

This is something a highschool theater department made for the role of a femme fatale. This is awful. She has looked so much better.

7. lois diCosola February 28, 2011 at 15:55 #

this is vintage Charles James–the brilliant Mr James is now regarded as a forerunner in magnificent ball gowns–he was a friend of mine– in the sixties and seventies,until he passed away in 1977, he was ignored and reviled by the editor of Vogue, who decided to pretend he did not exist– his white jacket is in the Victoria and Albert museum in England, and young fashion designers now understand what he has given to fashion-love this gown!

• The Bride March 1, 2011 at 01:58 #

Ok I like the dress better because of this comment. But would have helped if her right boob didn’t look split in half.

8. smolls February 28, 2011 at 17:26 #

sadly, me no likey. The ill-fitting bust is the first thing I noticed & I can’t seem to get past it. And I’m not in love with the skirt either…:(

9. Marvel February 28, 2011 at 17:41 #

She is a rule breaker and I love that she wore vintage but I dont know how I feel about the puffy bit. On one hand it stops this look from being boring but on the other it looks kinda tacky. Also I wish the bust would be more fitted. Still a great look

10. Lo February 28, 2011 at 18:06 #

Unfort for Marisa, her stylist chose the worst CJ piece. It is so atrocious. The party I was at with 600 people, she was voted Worst Dressed with 72%

11. Alina February 28, 2011 at 18:13 #

It’s not her best look.The dress seems unfinished.

12. Pamela February 28, 2011 at 18:52 #

I concur – Mr. James’s designs are incredible, beautiful, and striking. His work his indeed great art.

13. Ally February 28, 2011 at 22:27 #

I usually like that she goes vintage, but I really disliked this one. She tied with Nicole Kidman for worst dressed IMO. :(

14. Jones19 March 1, 2011 at 00:14 #

Looks hideous on her.

15. KateS March 1, 2011 at 00:26 #

So close, but details are important, and they let her down here.
    Love her for wearing vintage, though.

16. mochababe73 March 1, 2011 at 01:32 #

Looks like the losing garment on Project Runway. Not a fan, and the tulle looks faded next to the bodice.

17. Steph March 1, 2011 at 04:27 #

Wonderful frock, but those 50s gowns need 50s-shaped undergarments to work. Pity about the way the bodice looks – with the right bra or better fitting it would have been a knockout.

• lois diCosola March 1, 2011 at 12:19 #

here’s the thing – Charles James’s gowns are now collector’s pieces- and while designer garments are altered to fit the wearer, in this case, it would have been like restretching a Van Gogh painting and trimming the edges, so if you can see that it was worn as it was, and as a kind of tribute, not altering it for this occasion would be forgiven–just to see it was thrilling for me– since Mr James’s dresses are all in museums-

• Steph March 2, 2011 at 10:34 #

Now that I understand a little better, I certainly see your point about not altering the dress.

18. gigli March 7, 2011 at 17:41 #

hate this worst dressed. her boobs appear to be split in half. And it looks like it was made in a beginners sewing class. Just cheap.