28.02.11

Jennifer Lawrence’s Déjà Vu Oscar Dress

Whilst I was knee deep in Oscar pictures many of you had noted that Jennifer Lawrence’s Calvin Klein dress had a touch of déjà vu about it.

The Best Actress nominee arrived wearing a red Calvin Klein dress to the 2011 Oscars.

Scarlett Johansson had worn a very similar Valentino body-hugging dress back in 2006, when she was up for Best Supporting Actress at the Golden Globes.

It’s uncanny how they even have the same pose.

Credit: Getty

2011 Oscars Round-Up

2011 Oscars Round-Up

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2011 Oscars?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2011 Oscars?

37 Responses to Jennifer Lawrence’s Déjà Vu Oscar Dress

1. Francesca February 28, 2011 at 15:21 #

Wow, she must have studied Scarlet’s look pretty well. I like it more on Scarlet.

• Celia Zhang March 1, 2011 at 01:35 #

I swear, I really think the dress Jennifer Lawrence wore is the same one as what Emma Watson wore to the New York Premiere of HP7-I, but in red! Both are Calvin Klein, and seem to look REALLY similar. Not like it’s important, I was just excited to notice haha.

2. Moxie February 28, 2011 at 15:25 #

They are similar in that they are body-hugging red dresses, but the neckline, hemline and straps are quite different. I prefer Jennifer’s gown.

• msd February 28, 2011 at 15:50 #

They’re not exactly the same because they’re different dresses. However, when people are immediately saying “oh that looks just like so-and-so at such-and-such” then your stylist has made a boo boo.

3. Annel February 28, 2011 at 15:28 #

Yes, quite uncanny actually. But I prefer Scarlett’s femme fatale look to Lawrence’s – there is a no to pleasant Pamela-Anderson-Baywatch association that keeps popping up in my head whenever I see her photo..!

• KateS March 1, 2011 at 00:23 #

Yes! I had an unpleasant baywatch-flashback too.

4. rebecca February 28, 2011 at 15:29 #

i like jennifer’s better. the overall presentation is wayyy better in my opinion, her hair looks better and i LOVE her makeup.

5. Fraser February 28, 2011 at 15:31 #

Oh Scarlett…I miss you! Reinstate your old-stylist ASAP

6. Alexandra February 28, 2011 at 15:35 #

and to think how Scarlett dresses for the Oscars now….

• Fashion Critic February 28, 2011 at 15:40 #

Totally…

7. Naomi February 28, 2011 at 15:35 #

That’s exactly what I though!
    She looks like a scarlet mini-me, which is weird since Scarlet was pretty much the same age as Lawrence is today when she wore the dress.
    Only somehow the look fitted Scarlet’s persona at that time, while Lawrence’s seems to just scream “Look at my body! I am hot!”.

8. zamri a. February 28, 2011 at 15:36 #

Deja vu indeed! Both looks simple but stunning. Still, I love Jennifer Lawrence’s dress more coz the color is much more modern and subtle…not a red on red carpet, yet vermillion on purplish carpet! The most important: that’s an Oscar-worthy hairstyle!

• Ayesha March 1, 2011 at 06:33 #

totally!

9. msd February 28, 2011 at 15:44 #

Ouch, not a good thing to happen at the biggest red carpet event of the season. She had three dresses to choose from, apparently. If people here can pick the similarities to Scar Jo’s so quickly then why couldn’t her stylist?

Honestly, I’m not thrilled by the blow-dried-to-within-an-inch-of-its-life hair and thick foundation either. She’s a very pretty girl and she’s only twenty years old. That hair and makeup is sucking a lot of the youth out of her.

10. Terry February 28, 2011 at 15:49 #

Disappointing how she chose to channel Scarlett in such an uncanny way.

11. Fran February 28, 2011 at 16:03 #

Im glad others see her deperation..I dont get her hype.

12. Jennifer February 28, 2011 at 16:12 #

I see Jennifer… and I think Farrah Fawcett’s red swim suit look… I love the look don’t get me wrong, but it just comes off too casual.

13. Matt February 28, 2011 at 16:29 #

There are quite a few differences here everyone, as previously mentioned, but you have to realize that designers may be influenced or try to copy another designer’s style. It’s happened for a LONG time. Need I remind everyone about the eerily similar green dresses, first worn by Rihanna (in Dolce and Gabbana), then Beyonce (in Zac Posen). Those were more similar than these two.

I prefer Jennifer over Scarlett though. While Scarlett is gorgeous no matter what, Jennifer just takes it to another level, in my opinion.

14. Joy February 28, 2011 at 16:35 #

The first thing I thought when I saw her was ”ScarJo redux.” Now, being anyone’s redux is not a good idea, is it?

15. Marvel February 28, 2011 at 17:40 #

Yes Jennifer did kinda rip off Scar Jo’s look but since Scarlett has lost her mojo someone needed to add the va va voom. Scarlett needs to hire her stylist who dressed then

16. Kristen February 28, 2011 at 17:51 #

Well, Michelle Williams redid her own Jason Wu dress and Anne Hathaway rewore the Armani that Malin Ackerman & Cheryl Cole both have already worn, so apparently that was the trend of the night.

17. pipsqueak February 28, 2011 at 18:23 #

I love Jennifer’s look. I’m never really a Scarlett fan, even though she’s a good actress. She’s totally a bombshell and that’s not the kind of girls that I’d have a “girl crush” on.

18. Grace February 28, 2011 at 18:43 #

Scarlett did it first and better.

19. Ann February 28, 2011 at 19:06 #

When I saw this dress I immediately thought about Emma Watson’s Calvin Klein dress from Deathly Hallows NYC premiere http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2010/11/16/emma-watson-in-calvin-klein-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-part-1-new-york-premiere/
    Both dresses are very similar at front and also have the same back.

20. Rahel February 28, 2011 at 20:46 #

Not the same dress. The dress of Jennifer Lawrence has another neckline and it looks fantastic. But Scarlett’s dress is so typical. There is nothing interesting in it.

Another thing is that Jennifer looks very fresh.

21. Dee February 28, 2011 at 22:07 #

Jennifer totally rocked this look…. I like it better on her. She is on my best dressed list..

22. Tahj February 28, 2011 at 22:33 #

If you look at the top of Jennifer Lawrence’s dress, you would just think Baywatch and I don’t like that, so I give it to Scarlett. I also think Scarlet’s shade of red and hair is more striking. But that’s the only time I’ve liked a Scarlett look. I don’t think she usually has the best style. JMO.

23. Kristina February 28, 2011 at 23:56 #

I think Jennifer Lawerance looks better but when people automatically think about someone else its a problem.

24. Ayesha March 1, 2011 at 06:39 #

even though both the looks are similar,yet jennifer brings class to this look which was absolutley not there
    in case of scarlett,the color and the neckline of jeniffer’s dress is different and fabulous and better.

25. Mary March 1, 2011 at 12:17 #

Both are stunning, but…

SCARLETT DID IT FIRST. AND SHE DID IT THE BEST.

26. pia March 1, 2011 at 14:16 #

voting for jennifer

27. Shaina March 2, 2011 at 04:02 #

At least Scarlett looks better. Her body is amazing.
    *Jealous*

28. Dan J April 23, 2011 at 01:05 #

Wow, you guys act like Scarlett was so iconic that designers should be banned from making simple red dresses!.
    I actually think it looks better on Jennifer. She’s slimmer and taller, so it seems to flatter her more. Scarlett looks like a midget with a big head for some reason. Maybe its because Jennifer’s red is a little flatter?

29. Jenn May 15, 2011 at 22:46 #

its a shame, the red dress as become as classic as the little black dress… these dresses do look similar.. but there are ruffles on joanssens on the front and back and the straps are different on lawrences…..

30. AnnQ July 31, 2011 at 21:35 #

Wow – Jennifer looks AMAZING in that dress. I think Scarlett looked good as well, but just more “fake” with the giant breasts. Jennifer looks like the gorgeous girl next door.

31. Veronica February 22, 2012 at 19:25 #

Scarlett is prettier here and she has more character. The fabric is bringhter and the neckline causes more of an impresion. Her hair is prettier too. Jennifer is just bland and forgetable.

32. Simone August 13, 2012 at 22:25 #

I think Jennifers Dress looks relaxing but stylish. Voting For Her!!!!!!!!!!