28.02.11

Gwyneth Paltrow In Calvin Klein – 2011 Oscars

Minimalist Again Award
Gwyneth Paltrow opted for yet another minimalist look on the red carpet at the 2011 Oscars.

She always seems to do the minimalist thing on big occasions like this. It’s almost like she’s trying to prevent another pink puffy dress disaster. Well too late it happened in 1999.

I do love her super sleek silver metallic Calvin Klein dress, especially with the Louis Vuitton brooch on her hip.

I’m not too crazy about the silhouette. I wish it was nipped in just a bit around the waist as Gwynie has an amazing figure.

Louis Vuitton high jewelry and Brian Atwood gold ankle strap ‘Martina’ pumps completed her look.

Credit: Getty

Nicole Kidman In Christian Dior - 2011 Oscars

Nicole Kidman In Christian Dior – 2011 Oscars

Amy Adams In L'Wren Scott - 2011 Oscars

Amy Adams In L’Wren Scott – 2011 Oscars

42 Responses to Gwyneth Paltrow In Calvin Klein – 2011 Oscars

1. Alicat February 28, 2011 at 02:22 #

I agree. The gown is very straight up and down. It needs something to create the illusion of more shape. The placement of the gold brooch on her hip is questionable.

2. mol February 28, 2011 at 02:22 #

I think she looks great, this is one of the ones I’ll go back to look at tomorrow.

3. PamG February 28, 2011 at 02:23 #

LOL about the puffy pink prevention! I think minimalist looks suit her well, and she is accentuating the positive here. I don’t know if the dress can be nipped in more – it seems very tailored already. She has a great figure, but she doesn’t have a tiny waist.

4. Marlyn February 28, 2011 at 02:23 #

I still don’t know if I like this dress or not. I agree it needed to be more fitted. Loving the hair, makeup and jewellery

5. Sonia February 28, 2011 at 02:24 #

I think it should be more shapely. She kind of looks like she’s stuck in a steel tube …

6. Laura February 28, 2011 at 02:24 #

It definitely needed to be nipped in a bit more to give her a better silhouette. Not digging the neckline. I think she needed to pull back her hair to show off those earrings. Why wear earrings like that if you’re not going to show them off to their fullest potential?

7. Raquel February 28, 2011 at 02:27 #

Too much fake tanning or bronzer. Either way, nice dress.

8. MReid February 28, 2011 at 02:29 #

You know FC, on TV it looked really good. I didn’t notice the shapeless silhouette until this pic. I thought she looked fantastic, until I saw her in the pic. Thanks for staying up late and giving us this commentary. Hope you have caffeine to get you through the night.

• Fashion Critic February 28, 2011 at 02:41 #

don’t need caffeine. The excitement and adrenaline is keeping me going and your comments :)

• FionaK February 28, 2011 at 02:45 #

I agree on tv it looks amazing! It curves in at her waist when you look it at side angle so that’s wher the shape comes in

9. jmde February 28, 2011 at 02:31 #

I thought this gown blew everything else on the red carpet away. PURE elegance!

10. Jarrold February 28, 2011 at 02:38 #

She looked amazing on screen

11. KateS February 28, 2011 at 02:49 #

It doesn’t look great here – she has such a lean, boyish torso, which this dress accentuates – but I’m sure it was stunning in motion.

12. Ashley February 28, 2011 at 02:49 #

I like it, I don’t love it. I don’t really like silver on her.

13. mochababe73 February 28, 2011 at 02:57 #

Gwyneth is never one of my faves on the red carpet because her attitude just bothers me. Kind of condenscending.
    Anyway, I like it just like it is. The neckline is interesting, and I like the little belt.

14. Ariel February 28, 2011 at 03:00 #

I don’t find anything spectacular about this look minus the earrings. She should’ve saved the Atelier Versace gown that she wore last year for this event.

15. Jones19 February 28, 2011 at 03:13 #

I love it. LOVE IT. Gwyneth is killing it tonight!

16. Ethne Blist February 28, 2011 at 03:20 #

The first thing that came to mind when I saw this look was BLAH. She looks like a pretty, shiny maggot. I know that is not the most elegant description, but I am not digging this Calvin on her.

17. robbie February 28, 2011 at 03:35 #

such a boring look, gwyneth sweety this is the academy awards the time when people should pull out the big guns not the little guns.

also pleaseeeeeeeee for the love of god do something about that hair! its like jennifer aniston all over again.

18. mari February 28, 2011 at 03:45 #

hes body is rocking and as of lately it has been looking even better, but she does no have that perfect silouette (sp?) that looks good in almost any dress.

She has improved her posture, though, and the dress is nice, but there are so many styles out there that can flatter her figure so much. Looks very good, but not outstanding, I think she could do better.

this dress on Claire Danes… then we are talking, she OWNS this kind of dresses.

• Fashion Critic February 28, 2011 at 03:49 #

I agree, this is very much a Danes dress.

19. Rhoda Sternberg February 28, 2011 at 03:51 #

I like the sparkly blush-hued gown she wore during her performance better

20. pipsqueak February 28, 2011 at 05:08 #

I love it! I think it looked stunning the way it is – no need to fit it in around the waist. Straight, sleek and small boobs are my preferred combo. I do agree with one reader, however, she had too much bronzer on – lame. But overall, she looked beautiful.

21. candice February 28, 2011 at 05:36 #

like the dress, if they lost the brooch on the hip.

her earrings were a nice choice too

CC

22. karen February 28, 2011 at 06:06 #

I think Gwyneth looks fabulous. She has always had a straight up and down figure so her waistline doesn’t bother me. I disagree that Claire Danes would have looked better in dress.

23. Leah February 28, 2011 at 06:09 #

dislike the brooch
    and what’s with that hemline crease at the bottom? not cool

24. Danielle February 28, 2011 at 06:17 #

DEAD! Not a fan of Gwyneth and I agree Claire could have done better in this dress, mostly annoyed by her predictable answer to an interviewer who asked who she would like to sing with, I instantly yelled out Beyonce but she said Jay Z, which is the same thing, years ago she would have said Madonna

25. Andreea February 28, 2011 at 08:05 #

Hard to say.It’s not beautiful,but it’s not ugly either.It’s something that doesn’t bother you,but doesn’t make you love it either.

26. nicky February 28, 2011 at 08:54 #

i kind of like it. it’s a different look…not the usual dramatic tulle princess dresses. i agree that the fitting is a bit off but she’s flowing. her earrings are amazing…great matching with the belt detailing.

27. A February 28, 2011 at 09:18 #

Yes! This is how you do minimalism! Gorgeous!

28. Emi February 28, 2011 at 09:55 #

I like this dress, I agree that Claire Danes would look stunning wearing it. The thing I don’t like is her make up, too pale, too glowing… a pop of color, maybe a pink lipstick would have been better.

29. b February 28, 2011 at 10:01 #

I love it. She rocks Calvin Klein so well.

The only thing I hate is the brooch.

30. Marvel February 28, 2011 at 12:06 #

I like the look but I know she can do better. This just gets a polite smile

31. elena February 28, 2011 at 12:27 #

LOVE IT… simple and elegant!! love the hair make up and jewellery…. the best dress of the night for me!

32. Redseouls February 28, 2011 at 14:22 #

I really didn’t care for this dress on GP. The fit was off, I hated that belt, and something funky is going on around that hemline.

33. hsua February 28, 2011 at 14:51 #

I love this look, in Spain are named as the best dressed, maybe too simple for me

34. marian February 28, 2011 at 15:47 #

she rocked it. wish she hadn’t changed – this look was worth wearing all night!

35. joe February 28, 2011 at 17:44 #

no. not flattering. poor make-up. painfully processed hair. no. no. no.

thank god her stage dress was nice.

PS. great coverage as always FC!

• Fashion Critic February 28, 2011 at 18:07 #

• Fashion Critic February 28, 2011 at 18:21 #

36. msd March 1, 2011 at 11:53 #

I wish I liked this more. The fabric is so fabulous. I think what’s holding me back is – and I can’t think of another way to put this – how sexless it is on her. She favours sleek designs but because she’s so straight up and down she’s one of the few people I’d actually prefer to see a bit of frou-frou on. Less severe hair could have counterbalanced the relentless straight lines too.

• mari March 2, 2011 at 02:12 #

I agree very much, too straiight going on here. Not critisizing the tan because she had just been at the caribbean, but the superblond and the aluminum color clashed a bit, and she needed a dress that defined her waist a lot more.
      the little pop f color of the jewels was insufficient for me, she really could have used more color.