Menu

Cate Blanchett In Givenchy Couture – 2011 Oscars

Best Dressed Award
When Cate Blanchett stepped on the red carpet at the 2011 Oscars tonight the competition for Best Dressed ended.

This is why I love Cate Blanchett; she glided down the red carpet wearing Givenchy Spring 2011 Couture gown looking sensational.

No one has even come close to matching this type of perfection tonight.

Her pleated lilac chiffon gown is embroidered with pearls details. I love the yellow as a contrasting colour.

Cate’s super short boyish crop has grown out. I much prefer this length as it’s more feminine.

Van Cleef & Arpels jewels completed her look.

If I was an actress on this red carpet I would grab my coat and go home.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Anne Hathaway In Valentino Couture - 2011 Oscars

Anne Hathaway In Valentino Couture – 2011 Oscars

Jennifer Hudson In Atelier Versace - 2011 Oscars

Jennifer Hudson In Atelier Versace – 2011 Oscars

102 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Givenchy Couture – 2011 Oscars

1. mochababe73 February 28, 2011 at 03:12 #

I HATE this dress. I guess that I am not fashionista enough to appreciate it this. I think if the bodice were plain or that big circle was not on it, maybe I would like it. As it is, that circle looks like a big target.

• Sharon March 1, 2011 at 18:26 #

You really made me laugh, mochababe. I feel much like you about this dress. Maybe my couture appreciation system has short-circuited.. The color is beautiful and I love the skirt, but the bodice decoration looks to me like an Aztec sun god symbol. I’m also not a fan of the yellow embroidery on the back and shoulders. Too Easter-eggy.

2. KateS February 28, 2011 at 03:10 #

Wow, she’s on a whole nother level. This is perfection. So unexpected and so different from the standard red carpet oscar dress, but so beautiful. Only Cate.

3. Tropical Breeze February 28, 2011 at 03:02 #

I lost my breath. This is the moment I live for. Pure perfection!!!

4. Elisa February 28, 2011 at 02:53 #

You are SO right. Sorry babes, Queen Cate is kicking ass and taking names in this dress. Mandy Moore alllllllmost had a chance, but then BAM! What a night of underwhelming, basic looks… We probably psych ourselves up more than these actress, because after one hour looking at style.com I’m sure everyone here could pick up better choices than them.

5. Matt February 28, 2011 at 02:39 #

As soon as I saw Cate hit the carpet, I knew she was wearing Givenchy and she looked incredible.

I love Cate, I love this gown, I love Cate in this gown, but I picture this gown more for an event like the Met Gala. I had hoped she would wear Elie Saab or Alexander McQueen but this is a pretty incredible gown.

6. Raquel February 28, 2011 at 02:20 #

There is no star/actress with the same elegance, confidence and sense of self like Cate. No one other woman in the bussiness owens a look like her. Therefore, she is a winner.

And the short do? WIN.

7. jen February 28, 2011 at 02:01 #

WOW this is my favvvv dress from that collection & i m sooo glad it has made it to the oscars & she did it justice! awesome, just awesome. 100% agree on the best dressed

8. Ariel February 28, 2011 at 01:54 #

Stunning. Love the embroidery!

9. Ev February 28, 2011 at 01:50 #

It is a very unique dress and it matches her personality perfectly, but I am not wowed for some reason. I am longing for some color but it would’ve ruined the look completely. Just a little bit underwhelming.

10. msd February 28, 2011 at 01:45 #

Another thing I wanted to say is that she has this great quality of appearing completely relaxed and effortless in couture. I don’t know how she does it but she somehow manages to make everyone else look like they’re trying too hard. Tonight is no exception.

• Fashion Critic February 28, 2011 at 01:55 #

absolutely

11. PamG February 28, 2011 at 01:44 #

Dazzling! I love that she always does something unexpected and looks extraordinary!

12. SpanishFashionista92 February 28, 2011 at 01:38 #

BDOTY!!!!
    She just owned the night with this gown

13. Nia February 28, 2011 at 01:29 #

Stunning and unique.

14. Martin February 28, 2011 at 01:26 #

This is flawless, this is faultless, this is perfection. Tears welled up in my eyes when I saw Cate in this gown. Style. Icon.

15. sydneycheekychic February 28, 2011 at 01:25 #

arrggh!! Love her! Love this!!!

I’m so glad she’s there this year!

16. msd February 28, 2011 at 01:17 #

Completely agree! This is why I love her too. No tired pouffy princess ballgowns for Cate. She looks edgy and different but also really pretty at the same time. I love the back too although we can’t see it in this photo.

17. Pez Globo February 28, 2011 at 01:17 #

BRAVO!! SO LOVING THIS

18. Laura February 28, 2011 at 01:14 #

Such a regal and worthy best dressed. Cate works Givenchy like no one else can. A stunning choice. They talked to Jessica Paster on E before the red carpet. I wonder if she styled Cate. If she did, she did an amazing job.

19. Kaz February 28, 2011 at 01:12 #

She looks fabulous and quite youthful.

Wonder how many people predicted lilac as a red carpet trend for these Oscars!

20. mol February 28, 2011 at 01:11 #

Yep, I agree, the best seen, so far anyway, and it would be hard to top the perfection of this….

21. Vera February 28, 2011 at 01:10 #

Dear FC, Kate has worn a different dress, it’s number three from the presentation:

Just take a look at the decoration and collar.

• Fashion Critic February 28, 2011 at 01:14 #

thanks..you are right

• Vera February 28, 2011 at 01:17 #

Always welcome) You have a very hard night today, I wish you are OK after it!

And thank you for your posts – as always)

22. Vidhya February 28, 2011 at 01:10 #

Im actually blown away… its a perfect gown.. its givenchy, its couture, its on trend.. its nt lost in the sea of chintzy looking dresses… i wud put her up for BDOTY.. toooooo beautiful… other than amy adams and hilary swank.. its been pretty boring till nw.. thanks for this vision of perfection , fc

23. chryssa February 28, 2011 at 01:10 #

OMG!I couldn’t agree more!She looks absolutely stunning!Regal and oh! sweet i might add!Best Dressed for sure.

24. mimi February 28, 2011 at 01:09 #

I love Cate as much as you do but she is definitely not the best dressed. the color washes her out and the embroideries look weird

25. Yaas February 28, 2011 at 01:08 #

Gorgeos! (I think it’s the other look, number 5, not 7)

26. mm February 28, 2011 at 01:06 #

Beautiful unique artistic Gowns like this were meant for women like Cate Blanchett! Bravo!! Will she be BDOTY again??

27. asherlev1 February 28, 2011 at 01:06 #

*SQUEALS* I KNEW THIS WOULD BE YOUR FAVORITE.

God, she looks flawless. The second I saw her I was so glad, cos she redeemed the entire red carpet show for me (the watching could get a bit boring at times).

28. Dirk February 28, 2011 at 01:06 #

I really don’t like the top half of the dress though. I think it’s the sleeves.

But

“If I was an actress on this red carpet I would grab my coat and go home.”

LMAO. that was a good laugh. I cold just imagine Nicole Kidman looking at Cate and saying ‘oh, well. i tried. Keith, get the limo, we’re going home.”

• Fashion Critic February 28, 2011 at 01:15 #

LMAO…at your Kidman comment

29. lalala February 28, 2011 at 01:06 #

queen Cate!!

30. molly February 28, 2011 at 01:05 #

As soon as I saw this, I knew she would be your best dressed. Im loving this. The dress is so exciting but in a low key sort of way:D
    Stunning!

31. rebecca o February 28, 2011 at 01:04 #

PERFECTION.

32. Incroyable February 28, 2011 at 01:04 #

Excuse my language but, F@#KING AMAZING!!
    THEY CAN END THE RED CARPET COVERAGE NOW, CAUSE SHE HAS SNATCHED AAALLL WIGS

33. bec February 28, 2011 at 01:03 #

Arrrrrrghhhh she is amazing!! perfection! 🙂

34. Mina February 28, 2011 at 01:03 #

“If I was an actress on this red carpet I would grab my coat and go home.”

This is why I love you FC: not only is your knowledge of fashion Nobel worthy, you have the most AWESOME sense of humor ever!

35. Y! February 28, 2011 at 01:03 #

I love this dress from far, the colour is amazing, so are the shoulders! but when looking at the pictures taken in close distance, I really find the pearl disturbing especially the yellow ones. I am really sad…

36. Christy February 28, 2011 at 01:03 #

Right with you FC, she looks incredible. By being a little different in her choices she always knocks it out of the ball park.

37. Marlyn February 28, 2011 at 01:02 #

OMG!!! Absolutely stunning, best dressed by far. Love her, so proud to be a fellow Aussie!!!

38. Mirela February 28, 2011 at 01:02 #

OMG!!! This is exquisite, flawless!!!

39. Tahj February 28, 2011 at 01:01 #

Admit you’re biased! lol. I am too! Come on if someone like Reese Witherspoon of Mila Kunis wore this, they would be trashed. But it’s Cate Blanchett, only she could pull off this! (well or Tilda Swinton). Still not my best dressed of the night but hail Cate!

40. Tania (itsnishy) February 28, 2011 at 01:01 #

I TOTALLY AGREE. I’M SPEECHLESS!

41. CB February 28, 2011 at 01:01 #

The dress looks significantly better on Cate than the runway model. I never would have selected it from the lookbook, but dang! Cate rocks it! Love the simple hair and accessories as well.

42. REEZY February 28, 2011 at 01:01 #

yes indeed. and she does it with such ease..

She is the queen.

Now bow down.

43. Barbara February 28, 2011 at 01:01 #

OMG!!!
    Yes Catherine, best dressed award.
    She is completly unique and fashion forward but still so elegant and feminine… just LOVE IT!
    She will win the best gown of 2011 (again!) :)))

44. The Dame February 28, 2011 at 01:01 #

Im loving seeing celebs in Givenchy Couture!

45. Jones19 February 28, 2011 at 01:00 #

She, Mila Kunis and Mandy Moore are tied at the top for me. Stunning ladies.

46. Shaina February 28, 2011 at 00:58 #

My jaw just dropped! I am amazed at how she pulls off these amazing couture looks.

I don’t know about everyone else, but this is on my mental BDOTY list.

47. vicky February 28, 2011 at 00:58 #

THANK GOD FOR CATE!
    I feel this years Oscar’s very mellow, fashion wise…
    There’s been one boring dress after another, and if the gown’s been OK something else with the styling has been off..
    And then Cate Blanchett appears. Pure heaven!!

48. Amber February 28, 2011 at 00:56 #

I saw this and gasped, and not in a good way, but in the What arrrrrrrrre you wearing way. Two big thumbs down!

• Moxie February 28, 2011 at 02:05 #

Glad to know I’m not the only one who didn’t like this look. I’m sure it is going to be at the top of many worst dressed lists tomorrow. Waist down it is lovely. Waist up is a train wreck with much to much going on.

• Nat February 28, 2011 at 07:00 #

Definitely on my Worst dressed list. I wonder if that circle above her waist has some special meaning. And what’s with yellow pearls and the origami shoulder covers…

• Moxie February 28, 2011 at 15:30 #

I could probably like it if it weren’t for the circle, the shoulders and the yellow beading. Not love it, mind you, but like it.

• dee February 28, 2011 at 15:57 #

This is terrible. I usually love what Cate’s wears but is one of the worse gowns on the red carpet. Horrific.

• Maranna February 28, 2011 at 16:34 #

Had this dress not been Givenchy, but rather the creating of a lesser-known designer, no fashion conoisseur wannabe would have liked it. At all. When have the “experts” ever liked innovation? However, if you attache a household name to it, it becomes “genius”. Ugh.

• Fashion Critic February 28, 2011 at 16:40 #

I totally disagree with you. You are basically saying we are so stupid that we only like brands rather then the dress and the person in the dress.

Really insulting

• dee March 1, 2011 at 00:42 #

Okay so I take back everything I said. This picture does not do this dress service. I saw a clip of Cate on TV and she is hands down the best dressed of the night. Her gown is breathtaking.

49. Godiva February 28, 2011 at 00:56 #

When I saw this dress I screamed “YES!!”
    The entire look is pure perfection. I love the dress — it isn’t like the other “uniform” award dresses and completely matches her personality.

• Linda February 28, 2011 at 03:24 #

Yes, agree completely 100 percent with FC. And Godiva, “uniform” is a great word to describe a lot of the dresses we see. This could easily be my BDOTY.

• Ethne Blist February 28, 2011 at 03:29 #

I agree. But I was hoping her McQueen. I call this Restrained Elegant Drama a la Blanchett.

50. Rachel February 28, 2011 at 00:55 #

I agree with you! The moment I saw her I thought the same thing! She looks sensational!

• Marvel February 28, 2011 at 12:10 #

I agree. Everything about her is perfection

• marian February 28, 2011 at 16:22 #