Carine Roitfeld arrived at the amfAR New York Gala to kick off Fall 2011 Fashion Week event in New York City last night.

The former editor-in-chief of Vogue Paris wore a very bold Givenchy Couture Spring 2011 gown.

This may not be the best picture of Carine, but it’s the best picture of her gown.

In the pictures where she’s smiling the flash had blasted all the detail away.

Here you can see the colour and the wing embroidered detail of her bold shoulder look.

My only complaint here is the gold necklace which you can see under the sheer panel of her gown. It kind of cheapens the look for me.

Credit: Style.com & Sharon Neetles/Globe Photos/ZUMAPRESS.com

NYFW Day 1 - What I Wore Today

NYFW Day 1 – What I Wore Today

Dianna Agron In Vivienne Westwood Red Label - "I Am Number Four" LA Premiere

Dianna Agron In Vivienne Westwood Red Label – “I Am Number Four” LA Premiere

48 Responses to Carine Roitfeld In Givenchy Couture – amfAR New York Gala To Kick Off Fall 2011 Fashion Week

1. jui ho February 10, 2011 at 14:25 #

I love the dress….period!

• jui ho February 10, 2011 at 14:27 #

Isn’t there another flattering picture of Ms. Roitfeld?

2. Ethne Blist February 10, 2011 at 14:31 #

I completely agree about the necklace. Sometimes people always wear one item of jewelry because it is special to them, no matter what they are wearing. Milla Jovovich does it and so does Kristen Stewart.

3. Naomi February 10, 2011 at 14:34 #

What a breath taking dress! So dramatic yet so light.
    From the waist down it seems a different print than the one on the model, no? The one on the model seems better, more symmetrical and less busy.
    I’m not sure I understand the hair and make-up choices, They don’t work well with the dress.

4. Leonorah - Alexis February 10, 2011 at 14:37 #

Love the dress, Love Carine but not together.

5. Joy February 10, 2011 at 14:43 #

The dress is amazingly beautiful.

6. D February 10, 2011 at 14:45 #

WOW WHAT A DRESSSS!!! but wrong hair and hummmm…

7. Rafiq February 10, 2011 at 14:52 #

The dress that Carine wore is from look number 9 worn by Fei Fei Sun in the couture collection. Gorgeous dress. Fantastic collection.

8. Mindy February 10, 2011 at 15:01 #

Such dramatic dress! I love the dress. But she looks exactly like a dead body!

9. Brooke February 10, 2011 at 15:04 #

I know Carine never changes her makeup, but I am disappointed in her haircolor change; the shade is unflattering! Her normal color would’ve worked much better with this look.

That said, what a terrific couture gown!

10. D February 10, 2011 at 15:25 #

girls, who would you like to be seen in this dress?

11. mol February 10, 2011 at 15:34 #

What a breath taking gown, but you’re right, the gold locket seems out of place. I love seeing Carine, she’s one of a kind……..

12. cartouche February 10, 2011 at 15:36 #

looking good from the neck down!

13. Matt February 10, 2011 at 15:43 #

Beautiful dress but shame about the lightning, she doesn’t look good around the face.

• Hannah February 10, 2011 at 20:28 #

I agree. It is a sad letdown, she looks like she hasn’t washed her face in ages, like she needs a good facial or at least exfoliator. The dress is beyond beautiful!

14. Sara B. February 10, 2011 at 16:19 #

This woman always looks like an expensively dressed extra in a zombie movie. I don’t understand her hair and makeup at all.

15. JJovana3 February 10, 2011 at 16:19 #

She is one SCARY looking woman!! SO much tan, she’s starting to look like an old leather couch. And I will NEVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER forgive her for RUINING that Givenchy dress. My eyes cant stop bleeding. Pure horror.

16. Betty Brandenburg February 10, 2011 at 16:29 #

Hmmm, I think you have to be completely flatchested to wear that dress. The top of the dress is very unflattering on her, squashing her boobs. Dress is divine, hair and makeup awful.

17. Marianna February 10, 2011 at 16:41 #

Loved the dress! Very “Black Swan”… I don’t like the necklace, but I truely hate her hair… Even a ponytail would be better than that.

18. Alina February 10, 2011 at 16:46 #

This is bad.

19. Laura February 10, 2011 at 17:05 #

The hair is awful. For such an amazing gown, she looks like she just rolled out of bed. A piece of art such as this deserves more effort in the than that lazy daytime hairdo. It really brings the whole look down.

20. Jones19 February 10, 2011 at 17:20 #

Her boobs look smushed and saggy, not a good look but I think the dress is heavenly on the runway.

21. Vidhya February 10, 2011 at 17:25 #

drag queen??? love the dress….. Givenchy understand couture

22. Laura February 10, 2011 at 17:59 #

Such a bold look, but that necklace isn’t right. Keep it simple with a dress like this, and let the dress do all the talking.

23. Amber February 10, 2011 at 18:01 #

I think she looks like Ozzy Osbourne in a dress. She’s always looked rather old and unkempt to me, but this takes the cake!

24. cindy February 10, 2011 at 18:24 #

I am sincerely crushed….That givenchy collection is just pure perfection, it is sooooo beautiful but I’m gonna have to clean my eyes with purex to forget about that mess. The hair, the make up, the squashed chest….it is wrong in so many ways. It’s almost disrespectful from her to look like such a mess in a couture gown like that. I’m going to lay in bed and cry lol!

• LizLemooooon February 10, 2011 at 20:27 #

My thoughts exactly. That Givency collection is the air that I breathe and Carine has totally ruined it. I’m disappointed in her.
      I’m going too lie down too hahaha

25. Estranged February 10, 2011 at 19:04 #

I just love this collection and Carine looks confident and stylish. I don’t think many women her age would choose such a dress and look that great!

26. Lee Ann February 10, 2011 at 19:37 #

If Ziggy Pop wore couture….just saying

• JJovana3 February 11, 2011 at 15:14 #

LMFAO!!!! Thank you for that.

God she looks awful.

27. Camille February 10, 2011 at 20:03 #

the dress is beautiful, but it is such a mismatch on this woman. It is dramatic gown yes, but in an ethereal and youthful way. She looks like someone you’d come across in a bar, chain smoking and smearing lipstick on her glass of scotch. She should be wearing black leather and a clutch that doubles as a weapon. Scary… but the dress would be divine on someone else…Cate Blanchett or Nicole Kidman maybe.

28. Nia February 10, 2011 at 20:51 #

Very Black Swan-esque, but not in a good way.

29. Linda February 10, 2011 at 21:19 #

Beautiful collection, absolutely stunning. I don’t like it on Carine though.

30. Alfie February 10, 2011 at 22:58 #

Oh lord. Yeah since she was editor in chief of VP one would assume she would look great, sadly no.

She looks like she’s been smoked up. This is what I would recomend for her. Get an exfoliator and use it quick! Then a good oxygen facial. Someone have her chug down gallons of water as well so her skin could be moist. Get her a great makeup artists and get some foundation on. Then someone get her a brush and give some volume to her hair and comb it out of her face. A nice updo would be great. Some color on her lips would help as well. Remove the sleeves off the dress, pull the dress up or add in more detail in the chest area, remove the necklace, get her some higher heels, SMILE and that’s it I think.

• siem February 21, 2011 at 14:47 #

alfie, you are amazing i agree totally

31. Katey February 10, 2011 at 23:07 #

Where is Carine’s Make-up????

32. bec February 10, 2011 at 23:16 #

Ugggggh everytime I see her I just want to go to town on her with some exfoliator!! Her skin looks so dead and dirty! Yuck!!

The dress is amazing though! :)

33. Alicat February 11, 2011 at 00:23 #

The gown is a work of art, but unfortunately Ms Roitfeld is not doing it justice in any sense. While I understand she has a particular look, the hair falling over her face and dark makeup is so wrong for this gown. She is certainly slim enough to wear the gown, but the flat droopiness of her chest is altogether unflattering. For someone with so much fashion knowledge this is a disaster. Now Cate Blanchett in this gown would be perfection…

34. mandy February 11, 2011 at 02:18 #

The dress is so gorgeous! But she look like a hot mess.. y is her hair always all over her face?

35. pipsqueak February 11, 2011 at 02:30 #

Amazing dress! Amazing Carine! I agree with one of the readers – Carine is one of a kind. She seems very Parisian – she clearly works out rather than letting her waistline go, but she also stays somewhat au naturale, unlike American celebrities so addicted to plastic surgery. I love the dress – stunning. I don’t like her new hair style or color.

36. mochababe73 February 11, 2011 at 02:43 #

Not a fan of Carine Roitfeld, but she has the attitude to carry this look off.
    I know that this may not be popular, but Carine always looks a hot mess from the neck up. It’s like she’s on some very good pharmaceuticals.

37. Chiara February 11, 2011 at 06:25 #

The dress is missing its ethereal factor on her… It doesn’t even look transparent :(, what a let down.

38. KateS February 11, 2011 at 11:16 #

Dreadful from the neck up, but I think the necklace and squashed chest are even worse. Terrible interpretation of a stunning dress.

39. mikeijames February 11, 2011 at 13:04 #

is there any better way to declare one’s relevance than by wearing one of the most exhilarating gowns from the latest couture season HOT off the runway? she might not be AT vogue, but she has proven she’s still IN vogue.

40. bludog February 11, 2011 at 16:43 #

Mutton dressed as lamb – or “no spring swan”, that one.

41. b February 12, 2011 at 11:02 #

Must be the only one loving this.

She’s Carine friggin Roitfeld. She doesn’t need any makeup.

42. Idealist February 13, 2011 at 13:34 #

Okay can we look past the dress 4 now, the lady looks like she’s dying! She looks SO scary in the face. Sorry that’s the nicest way i could put it.

43. mari May 3, 2011 at 23:21 #

Now these pics make me feel good about going to work with no make up whatsoever once in a while…

Carine (important or not, legend or not) is an influential woman in the world of fashion who wears these incredible gowns that have taken a lot of time to make, or goes to the most important fashion parties with that face (she’s not ugly, but god her skin looks bad!) with not even foundation on,
    One who works in front of others takes the time to look clean, groomed, good not only because of oneself, but as a way to show your respect for others.
    Whatever, she obviously takes the time to care for her body, but she at least should do something to make her face skin seem more even, at least for the sake of the dress, this is distracting.