January Jones In Carolina Herrera – 2011 SAG Awards

Most Refreshing Award
I was quite relieved when I saw that January Jones wasn’t wearing Versace on the red carpet at the 2011 SAG Awards.

I’ve always believed that most of her Versace looks have totally overwhelmed her, so this is a refreshing change.

She opted for a black and gold lace Carolina Herrera Pre-Fall 2011 mermaid gown which I really loved on her.

Her look has an old Hollywood vintage regal feel to it which I feel like she’s deliberately avoided giving us so we don’t compare her to ‘Betty Draper.’

On this occasion the hair works with the dress, so she gets a thumbs up from me for the first time in a very long time.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Mila Kunis In Alexander McQueen - 2011 SAG Awards

Mila Kunis In Alexander McQueen – 2011 SAG Awards

Hilary Swank In Versace - 2011 SAG Awards

Hilary Swank In Versace – 2011 SAG Awards

40 Responses to January Jones In Carolina Herrera – 2011 SAG Awards

1. Amber January 31, 2011 at 01:18 #

I wish the ribbon were trailing in the front like on the model. This is a definite improvement for January!

2. Laura January 31, 2011 at 01:18 #

One of the most improved of the night. She still went for fashion, but she didn’t go OTT. Love the lace and gold. The hair is beautiful. Glad she wore it up. Down, the blonde and gold would’ve clashed too much.

• Ethne Blist January 31, 2011 at 01:52 #

I totally agree. This is a new look for January. What a sigh of relief.

• Pam January 31, 2011 at 04:32 #

Agreed – classy and classic!

3. Sarah January 31, 2011 at 01:21 #

Ugh, really? She’s basically Rene Zellwegger in this.

4. june January 31, 2011 at 01:24 #

i’m not a fan of the hair but i love this dress

5. Jones19 January 31, 2011 at 01:24 #

I agree, I don’t think she pulls off Versace at all so this is a first thumbs up from me in a long time as well. Great look.

6. Ella January 31, 2011 at 01:24 #

I LOVE it! I hated her look at the Globes, so in this, she totally redeemed herself in my eyes. Don’t love the hair, but it doesn’t bring the outfit down

7. Sharon January 31, 2011 at 01:28 #

This was a perfect choice for January. She looked so beautiful and old Hollywood as FC said. I like this look so much better than her past choices.

8. Martin January 31, 2011 at 01:30 #

LOVE this. Dark, but by no means dour. Regal is the perfect word Fashion Critic. The way she is holding herself in this look reminds me so much of Cate Blanchett.

9. Mahima January 31, 2011 at 01:33 #

Its pretty but reminds me of Dianna Argon too much.

10. KateS January 31, 2011 at 01:53 #

Definitely most improved – chic and unusual without that trying-way-too-hard vibe she emits when wearing Versace. I really like the hair for making something as potentially conservative as a Carline Herrera dress a bit more edgy.

11. Hannah January 31, 2011 at 01:57 #

This was gorgeous on tv, and on photo as well. A very different look that we ever could ahve anticipated from this red carpet for sure. It’s very different, but still very january. I really hope she a) wasn’t wearing black pumps, I am not optimistic,and b) wears (without black pumps) at least one versace atelier to another awards show.

12. Alyson January 31, 2011 at 02:31 #

I like this look a lot — a huge improvement over the Golden Globes.

• Marvel January 31, 2011 at 12:49 #

Same. Isnt it funny how her good looks arent versace??

13. mochababe73 January 31, 2011 at 02:51 #

I don’t like this dress. So, it wouldn’t have mattered who wore it.
    I do like the hair.

14. rebecca January 31, 2011 at 03:02 #

I would never have expected her to wear this! She looks amazing. Definitely one of the best of the night.

• rebecca January 31, 2011 at 09:47 #

also as nice as it is to see her in something other than versace, I have no idea why posters here have such a problem with her wearing that label. She looked absolutely amazing at the globes.

15. nicky January 31, 2011 at 03:04 #

i love this look. its totally different and unexpected from january. she carries the dress really well.

16. Cristina January 31, 2011 at 03:05 #

If this dress were knee length I would be over the moon for it (with a different hairstyle of course).

17. mol January 31, 2011 at 03:06 #

She has done a 180 from the GG’s – and personally, I think she pulled both looks off – the super sexy (but slightly chilly, which I liked, in Versace at the GG’s) and the classically chic (but slightly prim, which i also liked, in CH)…….so in my opinion, she’s a very talented gal fashion wise…..

• Pam January 31, 2011 at 20:32 #

So true – she is very versatile fashion-wise! Her GG and SAG looks were polar opposites but equally appealing.

18. Rachel Alison January 31, 2011 at 03:22 #

I love everything- the dress, the pose, the make up. I just really don’t like the hair…

19. Vidhya January 31, 2011 at 03:29 #

I wish this dress was worn by someone taller or carried herself better.. the model is so statesque and regal… im nt getting it from jones

20. Alicat January 31, 2011 at 04:04 #

To me she has such a generic look that I didn’t know it was Ms Jones until I read the piece. The only time I recognise her is when she is dressed as Betty Draper, and that is probably more to do with the clothes. She doesn’t yet own a particular style of her own and seems to be trying to find it. I am pretty indifferent to this dress.

21. mikeijames January 31, 2011 at 04:22 #

seeing her out of versace makes me feel like we should see her in designers besides versace more often. i know she wants to play against type — betty draper is a hard role to shake — but the sexpot versace thing has more impact when we know she can do it up proper like she has here.

22. Anita January 31, 2011 at 05:00 #

She is one of my girl crushes so she can do no wron in my eyes <33

23. Ev January 31, 2011 at 05:10 #

She looks great, but I am not super-excited. Although I am glad she tried something different – I got tired of all the Versace dresses she wasn’t able to pull off.

24. Alina January 31, 2011 at 05:28 #

I don’t quite like it. I think it ages her a lot.

25. Ariel January 31, 2011 at 06:18 #

Love this “vinatge” look on January!

26. Pati January 31, 2011 at 07:32 #

The hair is horrible… My bangs look like that when I wake up, but then I do something about them! Not a fan of the dress either…

27. Marlie January 31, 2011 at 07:52 #

Must be the only one that doesn’t like this look at all. I am a massive fan of lace but I don’t get this look at all. In saying that, it is an improvement from the golden globes

28. D January 31, 2011 at 10:36 #

LOVE this dress! but feel shes the wrong person to do it justice

29. Kaz January 31, 2011 at 11:27 #

Wow I’m the odd one out here but I think this is just absolutely perfect. Very elegant and a massive improvement over the Globes – which was a bit too much about her globes, if you get my drift.

30. Rahel January 31, 2011 at 11:29 #

She looks so sophisticated.

31. Joy January 31, 2011 at 12:00 #

Love Love Love! I think this was my favorite of the night.

32. ashley January 31, 2011 at 16:07 #

i think she looks great. not used to seeing her dressed this way!

33. Lee Ann January 31, 2011 at 16:44 #

Finally!

34. smolls January 31, 2011 at 18:53 #

She looks stunning!! I love the dress & she wears it so well – when I saw this on TV, my jaw dropped – classic, elegant beauty!

35. Nigerian girl February 3, 2011 at 16:49 #

Check out this Nigerian lady that channeled January jones at the Nigerian young peoples future awards…….http://www.bellanaija.com/2011/02/01/bn-red-carpet-fab-the-future-awards-2011/