25.01.11

Georges Chakra Spring 2011 Couture

Georges Chakra Spring 2011 Couture presentation took place this afternoon in Paris.

The designer used opulent fabrics, perfect tailoring, and rich jewel and neutral tones to create a beautiful collection which I hope to see on the red carpet.

Season after season the designer presents wearable, highly covetable and exquisite pieces during Haute Couture Week, yet I feel he doesn’t get the credit he deserves.

The textures varied from luscious chiffon, tulle, organza, lace, satin and silk.

I’m always excited to see the extravagant embellished pieces. On this occasion we saw sequins, feathers, rhinestones and crystals.

The colour palette was varied ranging from pretty pinks, sorbet orange, gorgeous greens, navy blue and white.

Georges’ mantra this season seemed to be ‘the bigger the better’, as he presented many ball-gowns which took up the width of the runway.

Favourites: Silver embellished dress with feathered accents and dripping gown tulle ball-gown

Who I See Wearing This Collection: Carrie Underwood, Queen Latifah, Kellie Pickler, Taylor Swift, Emily Blunt, Olivia Wilde, Selena Gomez

[nggallery id=694]

Frugal Friday

Frugal Friday

Shop Her Closet

Shop Her Closet

23 Responses to Georges Chakra Spring 2011 Couture

1. Hisadora January 25, 2011 at 20:58 #

I fell in love with the 4th dress of those pictures you put. Completely amazing.

2. Suz January 25, 2011 at 21:12 #

Amazing gowns. Some of these say “Katy Perry” to me too.

3. meenakshi January 25, 2011 at 21:14 #

love love love!!

4. Gerard Vallecello January 25, 2011 at 21:32 #

I love George Chakra — great coverage! Great Pieces

5. molly January 25, 2011 at 21:47 #

With the exception of the 4th picture, im not feeling this. Ive never really been a fan of his stuff. They scream “Prom dresses on crack”. I do love the use of vibrant colors though.

6. zoe January 25, 2011 at 21:57 #

i’m loving the little of the collection i am seeing. i desperately want to see that green/aqua ball gown you have featured at the beginning of the post (all the way to the right). it looks so ethereal and gorgeous, and with the right hair and makeup and shoes this dress could really be a MOMENT in someone’s red carpet life!

i also am loving the ball gown splattered with gold and the bridal gown among others.

7. HM January 25, 2011 at 22:07 #

Quick question fc…why is the gorgeous green gown on the top right hand side of this post not in the video? That gown is AMAZING!

• Fashion Critic January 25, 2011 at 22:19 #

models wear 2 or 3 looks during a show. In the finale they wear the last look they wore.

• HM January 26, 2011 at 13:08 #

thanks fc! Was wondering why such a beautiful dress didn’t make the finale.

8. Giuseppi Giraffe January 25, 2011 at 22:14 #

Back in the 80s there was this line of Barbie dolls- “Perfume Pretty Barbie” and all her friends, and I loved those dolls as a kid. For some reason, the moment I saw this collection, those Barbies came into my mind… I’m not sure if that’s critical, complimentary, or neutral, but I like these dresses a lot (so i guess it must be good). I just can’t get that image out of my mind now.

• mm January 26, 2011 at 00:56 #

I think it is the hairstyle, very barbie

9. Rebecca January 25, 2011 at 22:33 #

Gorgeous–great spirit and movement

10. Hannah January 25, 2011 at 23:42 #

Although nothign recent has lived up to my beautiful memories of his couture circe ’07 and ’08, back when good old fashion tv still existed, he really does deserve mroe recognition, but I realy respect L’Officiel, because last time I saw they put hs colections and some really, I mean seriously, unknown designers in their couture collections edition.

11. mm January 26, 2011 at 00:58 #

The third look, on top row, the light mint green gown, i predict will be on the red carpet at this years oscars. I just love how that dress is sculptured on her

12. Nora January 26, 2011 at 02:29 #

These are great! Thank you so much for sharing!
    Random question: Do you know why style.com doesn’t feature designers like George Chakra or Zuhair Murad? I feel like their coverage of couture week is so limited… which is why I’m so grateful to have you!

• Fashion Critic January 26, 2011 at 11:54 #

I think it’s because they are not on the official calendar

13. Cristina January 26, 2011 at 03:41 #

Olivia Wilde in that gold splashed ballgown-a girl can dream!

14. Ella January 26, 2011 at 05:00 #

I can totally see all of the actresses/entertainers you mentioned wearing this line!

15. Shaina January 26, 2011 at 05:11 #

These are breathtaking! I agree with you, I can see Carrie Underwood wearing something from this collection. Let’s hope she reads your blog!

16. robbie January 26, 2011 at 08:30 #

not liking this collection at all, far too disney princess/prom queen for my liking. which is strange normally i love those huge ball gowns but these are just tacky.

17. Saara January 26, 2011 at 10:29 #

Gorgeous!! My favourites are the green/aqua gown, number 6 and number 3

18. Jones19 January 26, 2011 at 13:30 #

Wow love these!

19. The.Shoe.Freak January 26, 2011 at 21:56 #

I was a bit disappointed with his Couture show really. Some of the dresses were great but I felt there was missing a clear direction and his statement-like signature look was lost. I also was disappointed with Zuhair Murad’s Spring 2011 couture show. I felt there was a lot of repeat and excess in his collection. I know he is capable of doing restraint, similar to his pret-a-porter looks. I just felt there was nothing really new.

Loved loved loved Elie Saab and Georges Hobeika’s collections. Stunning work.
    Elie Saab for his softeness and uber feminity. The colors were stunning, the embroidery much more subtle and soft, and his silhouettes, although similar to his previous collections, much more subdued (besides the few slit-to-there pieces, which will be edited for red carpets or clients). There was major red carpet moments written all over this collection. Superb.
    Georges Hobeika really surprised me with his direction. There was stunning pieces and the whole show looked to gel together. The color themes were spot on. Ultra-feminine gowns mixed with his signature different touch. He likes to add some small quirky twists or noticeable details such as adornments, themed jeweleries that are are not too loud yet effortlessly chic. It was very soft and yet very beautiful. Brilliant collection.