This week’s BDOTW was the hardest ever.

Many of us had 3 or 4 winners, but in the end the First Lady won your vote.

Michelle Obama continues to wow and impress us with her style choices.

She has long been a fan of Alexander McQueen, but no one would’ve dreamed she would wear such a dramatic look.

My first ever blog post on the First Lady featured her wearing a black Alexander McQueen Spring 2008 suit for her Ebony cover, so it’s exciting that she’s become more bolder with her style choices.

It was almost impossible for me to pick one winner, but in the end I had to go with Angelina Jolie.

Her stunning Atelier Versace green goddess dress still gives me chills.

Some of you weren’t that impressed with this look, but after her depressing run promoting “The Tourist” this was a sight for sore eyes.

Credit: Getty & Sipa Press/Rex Features

Shop Her Closet

Shop Her Closet

Who Wore Marc Jacobs Better? Victoria Beckham or Michelle Obama

Who Wore Marc Jacobs Better? Victoria Beckham or Michelle Obama

41 Responses to Best Dressed Of The Week – Michelle Obama In Alexander McQueen & Angelina Jolie In Atelier Versace

1. Ines January 23, 2011 at 12:15 #

The American First Lady truly is full of surprise. I love how eclectic, fun, colorfoul and joyful her style is. I low how she mixed old/vitange and new, high brand and more middle one, famous and unknown designer. Such a breath of fresh air when you areFrench, barely see your 1st lady who spend her life in Dior.

I also loved Angelina, when this woman want to dazzle she can do it like no other!

Keep the amazing work. I am a fan :)

• Elena January 23, 2011 at 15:38 #

Our French lady is just umbeliveble too… she wear Dior like nobody does….

• Ines January 23, 2011 at 17:45 #

Yeah she does..but she ONLY wear Dior (or almost ONLY Dior) Plus she is a former model so she already knows what looks good on her and never takes risks or try new things. There is never the “Carla” touch.. It’s not very exciting/modern or even just fresh, new and different. I think she dressed better before she became a first lady.

Michelle plays with colors, fabrics, length, she adds her own little touches (even if sometimes it’s a miss). She uses fashion like no one else I think. Plus she is really trying to promote new and upcoming designers etc..

I don’t know, I wish our 1st lady was 1) more visible 2) took more risks because her clothes – even if really beautiful and fitting – are always the same.. It’s like Mrs Chirac but just better done (better body, better brand, eye for fashion etc..)

But Yes Mrs Sarkozy looks beautiful in everything she wears so I guess that’s the bottom line? ;)

• Emi January 24, 2011 at 08:35 #

Lucky people! Michelle and Carla… If you read newspapers you all know “what” we have in Italy. Infinite sadness.

• molly January 23, 2011 at 17:25 #

I think the first ladies(whatever you all call them) have been reading the same book, because they all have been looking AMAZING over the past few years. I dont like this dress on Mrs.O, but i give her much credit for the risk that most women would be scared of.

I like Angies dress color but the style and hair have been worn by her many times. Its a dress that gets boring after seeing it all the time.

• mari January 23, 2011 at 21:03 #

Can you please say how is AJ dress repeptitive? I was browsing FC pages for a while looking for dresses like this worn by angelina and I did not find one like this.
        I’ll rant about it in a different post.

• lor January 25, 2011 at 18:22 #

Please Angelina looks like she is wearing a ‘”mother of the bride ” dress! Even backless it ages her.

2. Estranged January 23, 2011 at 12:41 #

Angie was my best dressed too. I would’ve had a tough choice if Olivia Wilde had worn different shoes with her gorgeous dress. And I wish Polish First Lady would impress me with her style some day.

• Pati January 23, 2011 at 16:30 #

Well, I´m afraid it´s only wishful thinking with the current Polish First Lady as her style is at best mediocre. Luckily, there are plenty of impressive examples of Mrs. Kwasniewska´s style :) As to Mrs. Obama- I LOVE her colourful style. I don´t think I ever saw her dressed badly. She definately knows what works best for her.

3. Jones19 January 23, 2011 at 12:44 #

I’m happy with Michelle winning even though Olivia was my pick. I don’t get the awe over Angelina, so she’s wearing color…okay great but this style of dress she has worn many times before.

Oh well, enough on that. I look forward to more award shows woooh ::)

4. charlotte January 23, 2011 at 12:51 #

the title alone of you article takes my breath away

5. Marvel January 23, 2011 at 12:51 #

I hate Jolie for the home wrecking thing but you cant deny how Amazing she looks here.

6. allie January 23, 2011 at 12:57 #

I love Versace…I Love Angelina in Versace

7. Alina January 23, 2011 at 13:25 #

Was Angelina your best dressed at the GG ?

My best dressed this week was Anne Hathaway – GODDESS! But I’m happy that the First Lady won ; she really looked amazing.

8. Hannah January 23, 2011 at 14:05 #

Great choices! I adored Michelle Obama always, but in gowns she just gives me gossbumps. I am still not the hugest fan of Angelina Jolie’s dress, but I have warmed to it slightly, it is much better than her wearing black, so hoefully this will become a trend for her, and hopefully others. Have a good weekend fc

9. Tania January 23, 2011 at 14:18 #

I voted for Angelina too, she looks amazing and I love green!

10. Megan January 23, 2011 at 14:50 #

Yay I’m glad you went with angelina so did I but it was very hard to choose just one.
    I must be the only one but I wasn’t wowed at all by Michelle I fell the dress is styled weirdly and it is wearing her that being said red is a great colour on her.

• xoxo avs January 23, 2011 at 22:33 #

totally agreeing with everything you’re saying Megan!

11. Ariel January 23, 2011 at 15:54 #

I voted for Angelina! Green is definitely her color & this gown is absolutely gorgeous on her!

12. Matthew January 23, 2011 at 16:34 #

I agree Angelina Jolie’s Atelier Versace gown was absolutely beautiful, but I’m just curious as to why you chose Angelina as BDOTW instead of Anne Hathaway in Armani Privé, as she was your “Best Dressed” at the Golden Globe Awards. Both were stunning, but Annie was my favorite!!

• Fashion Critic January 23, 2011 at 19:09 #

It had a more lasting impact.

• Matthew January 24, 2011 at 23:57 #

I agree! It really was a beautiful gown, wasn’t it? Love your blog!

• Fashion Critic January 25, 2011 at 04:42 #

Thanks Matthew

13. Matthew January 23, 2011 at 16:36 #

The First Lady is absolutely stunning as well…I love her modification to the Alexander McQueen gown!

14. Tanya January 23, 2011 at 17:49 #

Thank you, thank you, thank you that you chose Angelina. I saw that she is losing in this poll and i was upset. I think she looked amazing in this gown and deserved to be BDOTW!

15. marie January 23, 2011 at 18:01 #

and i was rooting so hard for my girl crush olivia to win..oh well..perhaps ifthis reaches angie and will make her realize that people are just sick of her wearing black, then i’m fine with olivia losing..now if only i can get my hands on those shoes..id wear them everywhere, to work, to do my laundry, to shop, at home, even when sleeping =)

16. antoneLLina January 23, 2011 at 18:02 #

i totally agree with your choice FC!

17. Elaine January 23, 2011 at 18:18 #

Yay what a tough choice to make but I went with Angelina too :-)

18. Tahj January 23, 2011 at 18:50 #

Michelle! Don’t get the fuss you made over Angelina Jolie’s gown. Sorry. I mean you were going a little over the top with the praise. Gave you chills? I agreed with you when you said the same of Cate Blanchett’s Christian Lacroix gown last year, but this? Sorry, have to disagree. Talk about a throwback to 80s Dynasty look, and no one needs that. It seems whenever Angelina Jolie doesn’t wear black people make a big deal. If someone else wore this dress, people wouldn’t kick up such a fuss. The shoulder pads are tacky and give her a boxy look.

• Fashion Critic January 23, 2011 at 19:08 #

You are entitled to your opinion, just like I am entitled to mine

• Estranged January 23, 2011 at 20:52 #

No one else could look in this dress as beautiful as Angelina does. I guess this fuss is not only about the dress, but more important is how she wore it.

19. mari January 23, 2011 at 21:17 #

Great choices! Mrs. Obama is so tall and the dress falls beautifully on her. And Angie, even if there have been so many beautiful looks these last weeks and we are just in January, this dress stands out.

I read some of the comments where people are saying that she has worn this style over and over and I justy can’t remember this being true. There are other styles that she wears consistenly, usually strapless (like many other celebs do).

I made a quick search to recall some dresses/gowns and I found that she chooses dresses that emphasize/show her chest area (green, nude-pink and yellow Ungaro in cannes, red in Russia,,
    There are a few other colored dresses like the blue Elie Saab, and skirts and blouses.
    Other color is White, like in in Cancun, the angora gown (now that had long sleeves and emphasized shoulders, but had a plunging neckline), white satin at the oscars, white suits one in a while, other white/silver: Pamella Roland and L’wren Scott at BB premiere.
    This last dress was a long sleeved one, and did not have any decolletage, but it was like 2 years ago, and the form of the dress is different when you see it, not like the green one.

Flowy loose gows have been a favorite for a while, grey Max Azria, the huge grey mu-mu she wore while pregnant, other grey Versace and St. John at different GG awards, blue at sag awards, black sequined at the good shepherd premiere, brownish Hermes while pregnant, dark blue Ferragamo see-thru at Cannes, grey-pink Blakeley in London.
    Black strapless seem to be her favorite, leather,sequined, etc. Armani, Versace, Elie Saab, Michael Kors, Nicole Miller in Cannes.

Non strapless black gowns for Alexander and Mr and Mrs Smith premieres(one of her best looks), Balmain at Cannes, Western Costume when pregnant, Reem Acra, black see-thru in Japan, Versace leather Jacket at Comic-con (this jacket did have the form or fit that emphasized shouldres, but it was a leather jacket at one event, not a premiere dress, , Max Azria in Berlin.

She favors neutral colors, but in my opinion there are other celebs out there that have been the same or favor the same over and over and do not get so much hate from us women. She does not have a pilates´perfect body, and she has a tummy, so not everything looks great on her. Love colors on her, though, specially green. The Cannes green one is still one of my favs.
    Angelina already attracts a lot of good and bad attention, plus she does not seem to be one that loves the impact she causes with her dresses. She does not need to atract more attention anyway.
    Sorry for my rant, I have too much time on my hands, me being sick at home :P

(FC, I loved going through memory lane in your files, found some great posts from the past)

20. amber January 23, 2011 at 21:43 #

my two favorite for the week.

21. asherlev1 January 23, 2011 at 22:03 #

Lol, I guess you’re more of a believer in Angelina, FC. I think growing up I didn’t really watch movies that much, so I missed her in her earlier days, and now when I look at her, I don’t get much of the fuss people make about her. Just, you know, personally, she’s not my favorite, so I’m not that into her fashion choices either.

But, yeah, I voted for Michelle. Not to take anything away from her win, but I think it was just easier to pick her as my BDOTW because it meant I didn’t have to think of my BDOTW in terms of ‘Best Dressed at the Globes’, which would have been a hard thing to determine indeed.

22. Dorian Gray January 23, 2011 at 22:05 #

What I like most about Angelina’s Atelier Versace dresses is that they are never in the collection but custom made especially for her. This makes them unique, such as her style.

23. b January 24, 2011 at 06:21 #

So glade Mrs O won. She’s just stunning.

I hate to disagree with Jolie though. She’s just still plain and boring to me and probably always will.

24. Emi January 24, 2011 at 08:38 #

I thought that we would have chosen Angelina and FC Michelle… I like them both. I voted for Natalie Portman, but I also loved A. Hathaway and A. Jolie. It was very hard last week, maybe because there was a very important red carpet.

25. ahot January 24, 2011 at 08:55 #

lol @”You are entitled to your opinion, just like I am entitled to mine”
    Great choices indeed. I wasnt wowed by Angie since i couldn’t see the live show :( . But then i saw a picture of her @ The Huffington Post and it changed my mind! The color was so rich! Amazing! And for the first lady…… Wunderbar!!

26. The Clothes Whisperer January 24, 2011 at 11:32 #

Definitely Michelle. DEFINITELY.

xx

27. TinaCZ January 24, 2011 at 16:40 #

Wow. I’m impressed by Angelina and your choice. When Czech media started posting pix from the Golden Globe Awads Angelina was in their “Worst Dressed” list. I’m so glad u picked her as your favourite ‘coz she totally deserves it. I wish she wore green more. She’s so beautiful in it.