Michelle Obama In Alexander McQueen – President Jintao State Dinner

Later that same day President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama greeted President Jintao of the People’s Republic of China, on the North Portico at the White House in Washington, D.C. for a state dinner given in his honor.

She floors me wearing an Alexander McQueen Resort 2011 gown which completed a double for her wearing British designers yesterday, as she also wore Roksanda Ilincic.

There are many of you who believe that there are certain style rules when it comes to being a First Lady, but Mrs O marches to the beat of her own drum which is why her style choices have become a world obsession.

Her red gown with a black brush-stroke print as been ever so slightly modified from the runway as the sleeves are less poufy.

Mrs O also wears the dress with one sleeve off-the-shoulder.

This is a great colour and I’m glad she styled the look with a chic updo.

She may have a huge glam squad behind her, but when she steps onto the red carpet she makes everything seem so effortless.

The sign of a true fashion icon.

Definitely a BDOTW contender. It gave me goosebumps.

Beautiful one-of-a-kind Kimberly McDonald earrings completed her look. The unique black geode and ruby earrings accentuated the red hue of her gown perfectly.

Credit: Style.com & Sipa Press/Rex Features

Michelle Obama In Roksanda Ilincic - President Hu Jintao of China State Visit To Washington DC

Michelle Obama In Roksanda Ilincic – President Hu Jintao of China State Visit To Washington DC

Sidewalk Style - Kim Kardashian In Lanvin For H&M

Sidewalk Style – Kim Kardashian In Lanvin For H&M

63 Responses to Michelle Obama In Alexander McQueen – President Jintao State Dinner

1. june January 20, 2011 at 11:59 #

she’s AMAZING in this. bdotw easily. maybe even bdoty, though it’s only jan.

• Fashion Critic January 20, 2011 at 12:00 #

I think it’s going to be a very hard BDOTY poll. I already have 3 contenders from this month and this is included.

• Marisa January 20, 2011 at 12:47 #

Agreed!

2. justme January 20, 2011 at 12:06 #

I don’t care what people say, I love her style. She’s too young to play it safe and not everyone wants be as classic as Jackie O.
    BDOTW contender imo.

3. Pav January 20, 2011 at 12:12 #

No doubt she looks AMAZING but I think Mr. O deserves a shout out here too for looking oh-so-dapper in his suit. HAWT.

• Ethne Blist January 20, 2011 at 16:44 #

I agree. He is sizzling in that suit. No matter how stunning Mrs. O’s look is and how much I am drooling (how did Mr. O keep his hands to himself?) I KINDA wish she wore a Chinese designer.

• Staramour January 20, 2011 at 22:40 #

I understand Mrs O wore red as it is a lucky color in Chinese tradition. I really liked that she blended that element with a designer she has worn before and seems to have some loyalty toward. I think a Chinese designer would have appeared trying too hard.

4. Snarky Sharky January 20, 2011 at 12:24 #

This is gorgeous. Love the fiery red on her, with all the texture and drapes. Is there a black shawl on her arm?

• Fashion Critic January 20, 2011 at 12:28 #

yes I think you are right

5. Jerry January 20, 2011 at 12:27 #

Im just shocked to the core seeing her looking amazing in this design. I was honestly out of words.

6. manja January 20, 2011 at 12:31 #

they both look, amazing

7. mm January 20, 2011 at 12:33 #

I waiting for this post. Jaw dropping moment. You said it best she looks effortlessly gorgeous. I love how her simple bob has been style so many ways. She really looks regal!

• Taylor January 20, 2011 at 18:32 #

I too was waiting for FC to run this when I saw it yesterday. She is STUNNING and I agree – BDOTW for sure.

8. Rach January 20, 2011 at 12:42 #

This is stunning. I dunno what else I can say that hasn’t already been said. I just love Michelle O’s style – she’s a true one-off.

9. Marisa January 20, 2011 at 12:47 #

GORGEOUS!! Love her style!!

10. Vidhya January 20, 2011 at 12:47 #

iT wud have been better if the neckline was symmetric.. its neither here nor there..

11. Rachel January 20, 2011 at 12:59 #

I was totally shocked when seeing her on TV today ~ What an amazing look !!! I admire her being fashion as well as being formal in this official occasion.

12. Gretta January 20, 2011 at 13:08 #

Sensational! I would put money on this making the BDOTY poll. Perfection.

• Fashion Critic January 20, 2011 at 13:23 #

your money is safe ;)

13. Henrique January 20, 2011 at 13:10 #

Thanks God someone wore this amazing dress! Michelle looks stunning. She’s soo beautiful.

14. Pablo January 20, 2011 at 13:15 #

My mouth litterally opened wide when I saw the picture this morning. I guess that says it all :D

15. MReid January 20, 2011 at 13:20 #

Have mercy this looks good. She looks amazing. Love the one sleeve off the shoulder and I am sooo glad she has not followed traditional First Lady dress norms because we would be bored. If you’ve seen one lilac and blue conservative suit you’ve seen them all. This is so much better. I agree, BDOTY!!

16. Cheryl January 20, 2011 at 13:22 #

I was totally waiting for this to come up on this site. Definitely a BDOTW contender.

p.s. FC, it’s President Hu. Jintao is his given name. In Chinese culture the surname/family name goes before the given name. Just so you know. :)

• Fashion Critic January 20, 2011 at 13:25 #

I copied it from the picture agency, so I hope they get it right

• Maxie January 23, 2011 at 12:12 #

Checked the picture agency’s website out of interest, and they HAVE got it right; he’s always named as “President Hu Jintao”, in that order.

Great frock! You can never have enough McQueen, as far as I’m concerned.

17. elsa January 20, 2011 at 13:35 #

Have NEVER imagined Mrs O teaming up with McQueen! Jaws on floor. They mean some serious business, i mean, look at her! She is glowing right from the core and looks regal and elegant and modern at the same time. Incoherent ranting right now dkfjlktsilsk no words can express my shock and love.

18. Yaas January 20, 2011 at 14:10 #

As gorgeous as ever. She is the fashion-brave in the whole world of politics (specially comparing to Mrs-France). She was so needed.

19. asherlev1 January 20, 2011 at 14:13 #

BDOTW. Goosebumps for sure.

20. CreoleLady January 20, 2011 at 14:39 #

This look is quite something. The FLOTUS has worn McQueen before I think (a chalk striped suit comes to mind). She’s certainly resetting the fashion bar for future first ladies, that’s for sure.

21. dominique January 20, 2011 at 14:54 #

@else, she ALWAYS wears Mcqueen. Like…this has to be at least the 6th time. She wore Mcqueen twice in one month justttt after he left. She really pays homage to the house and this is amazing for the contuinity of Alexander Mcqueen the brand because this dress was designed by Sarah Burton. I am so excited that as a first lady she has blazed her own trail and does so effortlessly and beautifully (most of the time). THIS has brought more excitement than ANY of the Golden Globes dresses. Reminding ourselves that this lady is almost 50 years old and is not a model or actress who’s job is to be beautiful and fashionable for our entertainment but a lawyer and a mom…really puts it into perspective. WELL DONE! BDOTW and BDOTY!!!

22. dominique January 20, 2011 at 14:56 #

OMG FC….if you could post the picture of the back of the dress….it’s almost as stunning as the front. I mean….what is there to say!!?!? This is fashion history in the making!!

23. Camille January 20, 2011 at 15:11 #

I’m so proud of our First Lady, she is stunning and regal and FIERCE in this beautiful gown. What a gorgeous couple they make. She is truly a class act in the world of politics and fashion.

• Rebecca January 20, 2011 at 21:50 #

Great comment–I so agree!

• pipsqueak January 21, 2011 at 02:16 #

Agreed! I’m proud of our First Lady, too. It’s more than words can say.

• Emi January 21, 2011 at 09:48 #

I really envy this couple, people of US! If I think what we have in Italy…so sad… Lucky people, keep your President as long as possible!

24. dee January 20, 2011 at 15:26 #

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!!! BDOTW and BDOTY too. She looks amazing.

25. Leo January 20, 2011 at 15:42 #

WOW! Michelle brings it again. It takes someone with personality to make this dress work, and boy she made it work for her. This will be on the best dressed of the year list.

26. Ally January 20, 2011 at 15:43 #

I am just floored that the First Lady wore McQueen! And it looks so wonderful. Bright orange is hard to pull off, but it works on her. :) It is great that she seems to have found her fashion happy zone.

27. bb January 20, 2011 at 16:09 #

Wowww she looks super great. I really admire that she doesn’t stick to the first lady tradition to copy Jackie O.

Love Love Love

28. Ariel January 20, 2011 at 17:06 #

LOVE IT! BDOTY maybe?

29. Firefly January 20, 2011 at 17:26 #

BDOTW for sure

30. LizLemooooon January 20, 2011 at 18:59 #

She’s officially a legend in my book. I love how she didn’t pick a piece that was very bland or plain, it’s McQueen but it’s still elegant and tasteful. BDOTW for me hands down.

31. micheline January 20, 2011 at 18:59 #

She is so regal and beautiful, and this dress accentuates that. Wonderful. A possible BDOTY?

32. D January 20, 2011 at 19:14 #

GO MICHELLE!!!!!! <3
    BDOTW!!

33. Lee Ann January 20, 2011 at 19:21 #

Mrs O doesn’t always get it right (who does? ) eg see below but when she does she does it in spades. Stunning . By the way had the neck been symmetrical it would have been like any other dress well a teensy bit better but not the amazing dress that it is.

34. Hannah January 20, 2011 at 20:12 #

She really knows how to dres sherself. She looks drop dead gorgeous. Stunnign beyond words. Itgave me goosebumps too. Kimberly Macdonald is my favourite jeweller, and I am so glad she wore earrings from her. One of my favourite quotes ever is ‘The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize,’ and Mrs O has proved this in abundance.

35. Jones19 January 20, 2011 at 20:25 #

Love this dress on her but I’m still let down by her poor posture…kills any good look.

36. michelle January 20, 2011 at 20:34 #

let the angels sing ‘amen’

37. mochababe73 January 20, 2011 at 23:01 #

I love the color against her skintone. She looks great, and I like that she wore something a little different and avant garde. It’s alot more interesting than some little sheath or ball gown.

38. Alicat January 21, 2011 at 00:39 #

This really is an amazing gown in every way.

39. molly January 21, 2011 at 00:48 #

I dont like the dress itself but I love how daring it is. The color is perfect and the style is interesting on her but i feel like the dress is a little messy on such a put together women. I dont like all the draping….it feels off. If it didnt have the draping, i would be head over heels.

40. Cristina January 21, 2011 at 04:59 #

STUNNING. My BDOTW is already cast. Would love to see Mrs. Obama up for BDOTY. She totally deserves it-so fantastic to have someone fashionable in the White House!

41. Ella January 21, 2011 at 07:29 #

Definitely a BDOTW to me! Mrs. Obama has been quite a trendsetter in our country….and I am LOVING it.

42. crazyme47 January 21, 2011 at 07:39 #

I want her to wear a gown from designer from USA.
    To appreciate the USA designer.

43. Sue Jin January 21, 2011 at 09:24 #

She looks absolutely amazing. She never fails to disappoint!
    What a beautiful couple! They compliment each other so well.

44. robbie January 21, 2011 at 09:48 #

i dont really like it, its dramatic on the model but on michelle it is a little blah. plus the neckline annoys the hell outta me.

45. Emi January 21, 2011 at 09:50 #

The dress is divine, I love it, great tone of red and great print. Mr Obama looks great, too, beautiful couple.

46. working socialite January 21, 2011 at 11:38 #

this is possibly the most stunning i’ve ever seen Mrs O look, and I think it is a look that works totally.

47. Michelle January 21, 2011 at 20:09 #

The L’oreal ad at the top of this page that iscompletely ruining the enjoyment of coming to this awesome place? SO ANNOYING

The First Lady in this gown? PERFECTION. It’s so exciting to have such a modern, edgy FL.

48. STYLEQUOTE January 22, 2011 at 05:06 #

She looks stunning! divine.
    Get a chance to watch the movement of the drees in the news clips… literally breathtaking.
    Fashio critic, I think the modifications are styled as the McQ SS11 Pre Fall Show Dresses. Do you gather?
    The only #fail is the black shawl.
    If only Salma Hayek learnt how to move in a McQ…
    Best, love u site.

• Fashion Critic January 22, 2011 at 08:49 #

I believe it would have been modified at her request, or modified in order to be more appealing to her like most of the runway looks are.

49. M Rose January 22, 2011 at 13:37 #

Amazing as always.

It’s President Hu, by the way. Hu is his family name which precedes his given name(s), as in many East Asian cultures.

50. T. January 24, 2011 at 13:55 #

This is DIVINE and perfect for the occasion!
    xx.