Michelle Williams In Valentino – 2011 Golden Globe Awards

On The Fence Award
Michelle Williams opted for a floral Valentino Resort 2011 gown at the 2011 Golden Globe Awards.

Her daisy printed organza gown with embroidered leather flower straps is beautiful, but I still trying to decide if it was the right choice for the Globes.

What I know for sure is that she needed greater support around her bust, because things are looking a tad droopy in that department.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Natalie Portman In Viktor & Rolf – 2011 Golden Globe Awards

Natalie Portman In Viktor & Rolf – 2011 Golden Globe Awards

Scarlett Johansson In Elie Saab - 2011 Golden Globe Awards

Scarlett Johansson In Elie Saab – 2011 Golden Globe Awards

40 Responses to Michelle Williams In Valentino – 2011 Golden Globe Awards

1. Ethne Blist January 17, 2011 at 03:48 #

She makes this look frumpy and grandma like. I like the gown on Michelle but the bust line needs to be more firm so the twins don’t droop. I wish she put her shoulders more back.

2. mikeijames January 17, 2011 at 03:50 #

while i’m not blown away by her dress, her beauty look really captures so much old hollywood glamour that i can almost overlook that. she is truly a STUNNINGLY beautiful girl: hopefully she can find a gown that accentuates that for the oscars.

3. Jennifer A. January 17, 2011 at 03:50 #

No! Too twee (and she does twee well). Agree it makes her look dumpy.

4. Shaina January 17, 2011 at 03:50 #

I love Valentino so I cannot believe that I’m about to say this but this dress looks hideous on her. It looks much better on the model for sure. It looks cheap, ugly, and childish on Michelle. It also adds a few pounds to her. Maybe it’s just me. But there is nothing I like about her look.

5. noo January 17, 2011 at 03:52 #

this is my favorite dress in the collection, if only she wore a bra!

6. Trevor January 17, 2011 at 03:54 #

This looks like an embellished potato sack.
    I am not sure what, or who, convinced her this was a good look. The model’s expression is exactly what I think of this garment, bleh.

7. Erin January 17, 2011 at 03:54 #

She looks frumpy. Not my favorite look.

8. msd January 17, 2011 at 03:54 #

Oh Michelle, no. Hippie bridal is not for the GGs.

9. Laura January 17, 2011 at 03:55 #

Only Michelle Williams could wear a look like this and not be on the Worst Dressed List. You’re right; it’s not perfect. But I still love it, and I’m happy Michelle pushed the envelope for the Globes.

10. Tania January 17, 2011 at 03:55 #

I don’t think it’s the right choice for the globes, I don’t like the dress.

11. GirlOne January 17, 2011 at 04:07 #

I think it’s kinda cute.
    I don’t see the “droopiness” but her bust looks much bigger in this dress.

12. Julianne January 17, 2011 at 04:17 #

i didn’t like it on her.

13. Katie January 17, 2011 at 04:24 #

Too much Frump going on. With the pattern and flowers. With the posture. With the length. Everything.

Very disappointing.

• Jinni January 18, 2011 at 13:32 #

In total agreement..

14. pipsqueak January 17, 2011 at 04:25 #

I think she’s gained a little weight to play Marilyn Monroe, especially the middle part. But then she’s not a busty girl, so it just makes it a bit hard to dress her. Maybe that’s why the boob area is less than perfect. Michelle still looks beautiful, though. So elegant.

15. Sara B. January 17, 2011 at 05:38 #

I’ll bet excellent posture would change this dress from a frumpy mess to something much more charming. Stand up straight, Michelle!

• Alyson January 18, 2011 at 02:21 #

Agreed! Pulling her shoulders back and having some proper posture would make a world of difference.

I love her personal style and that she is willing to wear a less conventional dress. Looking forward to seeing what she wears at the Oscars.

16. Tahj January 17, 2011 at 06:27 #

Why does she always dress like a grandma? Well atleast we’ll always have that brilliant yellow gown to look back on…*sigh*

17. mochababe73 January 17, 2011 at 06:33 #

I don’t like this at all. The color or the appliques. It looks like a shower curtain.

18. Alicat January 17, 2011 at 07:00 #

The dress looks stunning on the model when looked at from the side. It just doesn’t fit Michelle properly and does what one would think is impossible with this dress – makes her look matronly and dumpy.

19. Jones19 January 17, 2011 at 07:59 #

It looks like something you would wear to a BBQ in the summer heat, not Globes worthy IMO.

20. nicky January 17, 2011 at 09:22 #

this is not flattering at all…way too frumpy looking. very few can do justice to this dress.

21. Maggy January 17, 2011 at 12:19 #

It’s just not a youthful enough look for her…

22. Marvel January 17, 2011 at 12:34 #

Its cute and a nice look for her but NOT appropriate for the Globes. For a big movie premiere in LA maybe, not for the GG

23. Raquel January 17, 2011 at 12:34 #

You know what? I seldom like Michelle on the red carpet because I don’t think she has the posture. Her shoulders are most of the time hunched, she never knows how to pose or to strike me with how confident she is feeling, even with the worst dress possible. Chloë Sevigny is always a hit or miss for me, but she *owns* her looks. Michelle never does the same for me, and even at her best, the marigold Vera Wang dress from the Oscar with Heather Ledger years ago, she still didn’t have that confidence that so many other stars – who dress even worse – can pull off.

All this said, yes, she looks granny-like, matron-like and she needed some strapless bra. But the dress itself? I think someone like Maggie Gyllenhaal, or Tony Collette would have made it work, even for the GG.

24. D January 17, 2011 at 12:35 #

25. Mario January 17, 2011 at 12:55 #

I don’t like this literally at all, so as a consolation I like to say to myself this:
    She is a sick person, it is her dying day, so she wants to look pretty for the last time in her life. She wrapped up a flower curtain she found in the hospital around her body, did a few ruffles with her scissors and put makeup on her (by herself, obviously). And right now she’s taking trip to the toilet!
    Doesn’t it feel better? :)

26. Nat January 17, 2011 at 13:01 #

One of my worse looks of the night…

27. CB January 17, 2011 at 15:21 #

SO not the right choice- too frumpy, too hippy-dippy, too casual and, frankly, too ugly.

28. Camille January 17, 2011 at 16:24 #

Maybe in theory, on paper, or just looking at this dress on the rack it seemed like a good match for Michelle, but in reality it is awful. Too matronly, doesn’t flatter her figure at all, instead makes her look schlumpy. Needed some major tweaking to make it work, but in hindsight the stylist should have passed and chosen something else.

29. Alex January 17, 2011 at 16:30 #

I gotta say I’m disappointed. I love her simple ad gracious style but this gown is just too boring and so not Michelle.
    I still have her amazing yellow gown from 2006 Oscars in mind and I really expected something more.

30. Alina January 17, 2011 at 17:16 #

This could have been a choice if she would have been at the Teen Choice Awards and ten years younger.

31. Deborah January 17, 2011 at 21:16 #

She bought curtains from IKEA and decided to make a dress!

32. sonia January 17, 2011 at 23:26 #

horrible dress, girl fire you stylist, you don’t need enemies with him/her!!

33. Carolina January 18, 2011 at 00:06 #

Amazing dress. Bad dress for Michelle, whom I love, by the way. Her shoulders simply aren’t strong enough to carry this off. So she looks matronly and droopy. But the dress is solid.

34. Liz January 18, 2011 at 03:08 #

Love the dress. Hate it on her.
    I was hoping Michelle would go for something Form-fitting in a bold color.
    She’s worn a lot of neutral, vintage looks lately.
    It’s getting boring.

35. Jen January 18, 2011 at 03:36 #

there is definitely something about her bust that is looking mumsy.

36. JJovana3 January 18, 2011 at 14:41 #

TRAGIC. TRAGIC. TRAGIC. I wept when I saw this. I get it, she’s whimsical and quirky, but this is PLAIN BAD!!! The fit is AWFUL. How in the world you go from this:

to that monstrocity above. It kills me :(

• Fashion Critic January 18, 2011 at 14:42 #

it’s a huge step down

37. Bluebell January 18, 2011 at 20:34 #

She looks pregnant. Though it did make me think she would have been a better choice for Daisy in the new Gatsby remake.