15.01.11

Natalie Portman In Gianfranco Ferré – 2011 Critics’ Choice Awards

Best Maternity Award
Soon we will have a red carpet full of pregnant celebrities, but Natalie Portman is the busiest during Awards Season.

The mum-to-be dressed her baby bump in a one-shoulder Gianfranco Ferré maxi-dress for the 2011 Critics’ Choice Awards.

She teamed her dress with her favourite black Dior clutch.

This was an amazing choice for Natalie because the white makes her glow even more.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Reese Witherspoon's Saint Laurent 'Classic Duffel 6' Bag And Valentino 'Rockstud' Ballet Flats

Reese Witherspoon’s Saint Laurent ‘Classic Duffel 6′ Bag And Valentino ‘Rockstud’ Ballet Flats

Tilda Swinton In Lanvin - 2011 Critics' Choice Awards

Tilda Swinton In Lanvin – 2011 Critics’ Choice Awards

33 Responses to Natalie Portman In Gianfranco Ferré – 2011 Critics’ Choice Awards

1. Laura January 15, 2011 at 18:26 #

This is about as simple of a maternity red carpet dress as you can get, but I love it. Black and white is nice. And the movement of the dress is great. It’s something different from Natalie, and I really like it.

• Linda January 15, 2011 at 19:55 #

Me too. I complained about some of her recent red carpet looks being boring and drab, but she looks amazing here. She is glowing.

2. Naomi January 15, 2011 at 18:33 #

Yawn-o-rama: The sequel!
    If I had to describe her style in two words they would be ‘cute’ and ‘safe’.
    We’ve seen some great ‘pregnant style’ before, and I doubt we’ll see any from her. This girl bores me to no end.

• asherlev1 January 15, 2011 at 20:20 #

Same. This is probably my favorite Maternity Look of hers so far, but even that doesn’t wow me.

• justme January 15, 2011 at 21:52 #

LOL @ Yawn-o-rama: The sequel!
      It’s so true though. She looks nice enough but eh.

• Tahj January 16, 2011 at 00:21 #

Real stars who are classically beautiful know that less is more. She’s not one of these Diane Kruger type actresses who is just about showing off the trendiest couture fashions. She should wear the gown not let the gown wear her. 50 years from now it will be these type of simple designs that stand the test of time.

• Naomi January 16, 2011 at 11:40 #

There’s nothing wrong with simplicity, as long as it is done with style. Coco Chanel once said “Fashion fades, only style remains the same”. Coco’s designs were very trendy for the time, and no one thought they would ever be considered classy. Simple LBD? Women in pants? Pah, how crazy is that! She made a trend into something classic, and that’s what was special about her.
        Natalie Portman is a beautiful woman with great body and access to all the great designers and the best stylists, and yet on the RC she seems to get it more wrong than right. I think it’s because she does not have a very good sense of style and doesn’t seem to care too much about fashion. Nothing wrong with that – No one said every actress should have a passion for fashion, and that seems to be the case with her. But that is how you take a simple look and make it memorable – with style.
        A lot of actresses and models wear the gown and not let the gown wear them. Whether the gown is simple, or complex and sophisticated – it has to do a lot more with the wearer’s attitude than anything else. And what’s wrong with wearing current, trendy, innovative fashion? Fashion is not just about looking good 50 years from now, it’s about being fresh and daring right now.

3. Liz January 15, 2011 at 18:36 #

She looked Stunning!

4. Alèxia January 15, 2011 at 18:39 #

She looks amazing. Maternity is really making her glow!

5. Ariel January 15, 2011 at 18:46 #

She’s glowing & looks beautiful.

6. Pati January 15, 2011 at 18:50 #

She looks stunning with her hair pulled back. I am really looking forward to see more of her maternity style. Can´t wait to see what she´s going to wear for the Golden Globes.

7. Rebecca January 15, 2011 at 18:54 #

Fabulous dress, but I wish she would let her hair out of jail–its been slicked back like this way too much the past several days. It is so pretty–let it out!

• Tahj January 16, 2011 at 00:19 #

I agree with this. I thougth when I saw Black Swan in those scenes where Portman’s character has her hair down that she looked so much prettier with it that way. Portman should wear it hanging down.

8. molly January 15, 2011 at 19:06 #

This is perfect! I really dont lke Natalie, but this is perfect. I love the way it flows. She really doesnt even look pregnant! On another note, Are you going to post your golden globes gown predictions, FC?

• Fashion Critic January 15, 2011 at 19:07 #

I wish I could but unfortunately I won’t have time.

2 Awards to cover today and 2 tomorrow. Very busy weekend.

9. mol January 15, 2011 at 19:14 #

I like everything about this, the best of all the looks we’ve seen on her recently – very distilled and beautiful in black and white. I often find that Natalie’s shortness bothers me, but here everything seems in perfect proportion – excellent choice.

• KateS January 16, 2011 at 02:29 #

I agree, she looks long and elegant here.

10. Hannah January 15, 2011 at 19:18 #

She is so beautiful. She may have one of the best red carpet maternity styles there has been in a long time. I adore this gown, and I really think it was made for maternity. She look super tall aswell! Thanksyou for all your coverage FC, I have been blown away that you not only managed to cover all these beatuiful gowns, writing well-thought reviews and Iding clothes/shoes, but it is also a weekend, so thankyou so much for taking your time to do this! I hope it isnt too stressful adn you still get to relax, besides all the work!

• Fashion Critic January 15, 2011 at 19:27 #

my pleasure

11. Rahel January 15, 2011 at 20:37 #

Very beautiful. I can’t stop looking at it. It’s so simple but still so amazing.

12. maria January 15, 2011 at 20:39 #

Pretty, but meh…a tad boring for me.

13. Marvel January 15, 2011 at 21:54 #

A good look and I am so glad she is wearing loose fitting gowns. Im not a fan of people wearing skin tight clothes when pregnant *coughs Heidi Klum coughs*

• Tahj January 16, 2011 at 00:18 #

me neither! And I saw on fashion police this commentator complaining about Natalie and pregnant women wearing loose gowns and saying they should show the shape. And I said, uh no. It looks much better when they wear loose fitting but elegant gowns.

• Alina January 16, 2011 at 07:42 #

I agree. Loose gowns are far more elegant + I don’t think Natalie wants to make a big deal about her pregnancy.

14. Lils January 15, 2011 at 22:19 #

I loved almost her previous looks but this one has to be my favourite! Faultless

15. fashion-mommy January 15, 2011 at 23:35 #

stunning, Natalie really is the Audrey Hepburn of our times. I love the elegance of this look.

16. Tahj January 16, 2011 at 00:09 #

I love this. There’s something so classy and chic about black and white together. And for people dissing Portman for being boring, um when you’re that classically pretty it’s best to go for simple designs. Why let the dress wear you when it should be the other way around. Leave the crazy couture to the Diane Krugers of the world.

17. dee January 16, 2011 at 01:44 #

I really like this one her. She looks lovely.

18. gossip_bangkok January 16, 2011 at 02:51 #

Very simple, yet chic and classic.

19. Can January 16, 2011 at 10:12 #

This reminds me of a similar (red and black , no bows, shorter) Narciso Rodriguez dress Jessica Alba wore after she’d had her baby.

I don’t really like the bows on Natalie’s dress. I think I might have liked it more if her hair was different and the colours on the dress were two different shades of the same colour.

There’s nothing obviously at fault though. It just doesn’t move me particularly. I think she gets away with a non-style a lot of the time because of what she’s evocative of rather than what she wears. I personally never feel any (of her) personality in what she wears. She does get by just fine without it, I suppose, so maybe it’s not necessary in her case.

20. Emi January 16, 2011 at 11:16 #

Perfection, from head to toe.

21. Jones19 January 16, 2011 at 11:49 #

Perfect for Natalie. Love it.

22. Carolina January 17, 2011 at 11:42 #