11.01.11 Advertising

Leighton Meester For Missoni Spring 2011

At the end of last year Leighton Meester was announced at the face of Missoni’s Spring 2011 campaign.

Today on Vogue.it, they release the first picture of the campaign. The ‘Gossip Girl’ actress looks gorgeous in a printed Missoni dress with a sheer trim.

I love this picture of her on a rocking horse. She injects so much fun and playful energy into the brand.

I was initially skeptical about this pairing, but upon seeing this picture it clear why Missoni picked Leighton to be the face of their brand.

Leighton has long been a fan of Missoni. Here are her Missoni red carpet moments.

Click here to see more of the campaign.

Credit: Vogue.it & Getty

Sophia Bush In Lorena Sarbu - “The Green Hornet” LA Premiere

Sophia Bush In Lorena Sarbu – “The Green Hornet” LA Premiere

Jennifer Lopez In Hervé Léger by Max Azria - "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno"

Jennifer Lopez In Hervé Léger by Max Azria – “The Tonight Show With Jay Leno”

34 Responses to Leighton Meester For Missoni Spring 2011

1. Leska January 11, 2011 at 15:05 #

The first dress is a dream!!!!!!

2. Hermione Weasley January 11, 2011 at 15:07 #

I absolutely love the picture <3 I hope we'll see more of her from this campaign. It's the perfect combination!

3. Lee Ann January 11, 2011 at 15:08 #

Blake lands Chanel while Leighton pulls Missoni-bummer.

• misschatty January 11, 2011 at 15:11 #

Leighton is also with Vera Wang and Herbal Essences. She is not doing bad for herself. Blake only has Chanel and its for the handbag line.

• Lee Ann January 11, 2011 at 16:01 #

Geeze why is everyone so scratchy-all I’m saying is I’d rather have a Chanel contact -cause even if its only for handbags I can pretty much guess they will give her clothes to wear with them.
        As I am not a Missoni fan-I used to be – I’d be bummed if a colleague got Chanel and I had to wear that crap.

• Fashion Critic January 11, 2011 at 16:34 #

Lol…I get your point.

The Chanel association alone is more appealing and has longevity. Vanessa Paradis has been associated with the brand for most of her life now.

• misschatty January 11, 2011 at 18:50 #

I’m just saying. I like both girls so I’m incredibly happy for their achievements. I hate comparing Blake and Leighton because their ambitions are so different. Blake, IMO is more ambitious and her arrangement with Chanel was a long time coming, with her association with Karl and Anna and all.

Vera Wang and Missoni are not as big of a brand as Chanel for sure and the association with it will open a lot of doors for Blake. However, I wouldn’t go as far as to call Missoni “crap.” Leighton still gets free stuff from Chanel and she does attend many of their shows so I think she’ll be fine.

• Julianne January 11, 2011 at 22:35 #

Actually Blake only get it ’cause of Anna Wintour.
          She’s not the right choice for the brand, tbh.
          And it’s just a hand bag ad, while Leighton is with four brands, if you wanna compare.
          I agree that the name “Chanel” sounds delicious, but Karl is brainless this days. Lily Allen? Blake Lively?
          There’s no explanation to that.

• Sasha January 11, 2011 at 15:54 #

Please stop it with the comparisons, Blake takes over from Lily Allen for a HANDBAG campaign, call me when she gets something substantial

• Lee Ann January 11, 2011 at 16:02 #

Not making comparisons about Blake and Leighton making comparisons about Chanel versus Missoni. See Above.

• Anuska January 11, 2011 at 16:03 #

Just to clarify. There are two different bag lines. Lily was the face of Cocoon and Blake will be the face of Mademoiselle. It’s kind of “the same dog with a different collar” (I hope it makes sense as it is a Spanish saying)

• carine January 11, 2011 at 16:27 #

we better leave blake out of this//with her HANDBAG line for chanel…really just enjoy the sheer brilliance of this image! and be happy for leighton…she deserves all the praise in the world for her undeniable cuteness :)))

• Sisi January 12, 2011 at 07:21 #

I see the handbag line
          Actually Leighton was carrying it on GG set. The red leather one.
          I should say if i am not a die-hard Chanel fan, i will not pay $2000 to buy it. I rather to get a 2.55 or Classic flip.
          But i always think Blake is more a Versace or Ralph lauren Girl.

• justme January 11, 2011 at 17:40 #

Preach!
        I’ll take acting abilities+Vera Wang+Missoni+Herbal Essences+Reebok over ass kissing+Chanel any day of the week :)

• Julianne January 11, 2011 at 22:36 #

You forgot about eSpoir.

4. Emma January 11, 2011 at 16:15 #

Leighton looks very pretty and it looks like she’s having fun.

I love the dress but it wasn’t shown on the runway or was it?

• Fashion Critic January 11, 2011 at 16:30 #

It wasn’t. I couldn’t find a picture

5. asherlev1 January 11, 2011 at 16:19 #

OMG. *freaks out* It’s been a while since I’ve LOVED something Leighton’s worn (I know, I know, I’m in the very small minority here), but this dress is so fun and whimsical. I love the styling here. <3

6. Marvel January 11, 2011 at 16:20 #

I dont get why people must compare Blake to Leighton and vice versa. They are both successful in their own right. Blake has Chanel while Leighton has Herbal Essence, Vera Wang and Missoni (and previously had Reebok).
    I think they are both gorgeous but why people pit them against each other I will never know.

PS. I still swoon when I see Leighton in the mini Missoni (2nd pic from the bottom)

7. carine January 11, 2011 at 16:23 #

drop dead gorgeous! how cool is this image?!?!?!?…..this is how you do a campaign! leighton is flawless! i am in love with missoni…such visionaries! juergen teller is undoubtedly a genius:)

8. Juliana January 11, 2011 at 16:35 #

The picture looks great, the coloring, the setting, the lack of visible, in-your-face make up. It just looks so fresh and fun!

9. Linda January 11, 2011 at 16:39 #

I don’t like this picture. It looks like a snapshot someone took on a day out. It doesn’t make me interested in the brand at all.

10. razzmatazz January 11, 2011 at 17:02 #

Wow. Couldn’t even get to 5 comments before someone brings up Blake Lively.

Anyway this ad is cute and I can’t wait to see more!

• Hannah January 12, 2011 at 00:29 #

I agree. I think it is completely irrelevant, especially as it is almost inevitable people like Leighton/blake more reasons other than their fashion and related subjects, which is irrelevant ot their campaigns IMO. I also think there is a rivlary that is created between them which probably does not exist, at least to this extent, in their real lives. Please people, lets focus on the fashion, and in this case Leighton in her gorgeous campaign.

• Lee Ann January 12, 2011 at 13:27 #

I am focussing on the fashion. All I’m sayiong is I’d rather have a Chanel campaign than one for a label that is ready to go bankrupt! The reason I brought up her co star was only because her signing was announced about a week earlier and is close to everyones memory. I am not talking rivalry I am not talking about one costar being better than the other I am talking about the BRANDS!

11. Hannah January 11, 2011 at 17:19 #

I love it! I am so glad she got this campaign, I adore it. The campaign itself is so fresh and different, as is the brnd. I have been waitng for this for what feels like forever since it has been announced. I think she is perfect for the brand, chic, young, fun,charming. I love it when a completely different campaign comes out! I will probably be as excited every time I see it i a agazine. I also love all her missoni looks, a perfect fit IMO.

• Julianne January 11, 2011 at 22:37 #

I can’t agree more.

• Sydne January 12, 2011 at 00:16 #

Agreed! I think it’s a great pairing. It brings out Leighton’s playful side instead of her crazy one. She’s been looking so fashionable so far in 2011. Fingers crossed she keeps it up!

12. mol January 11, 2011 at 17:41 #

Lucky Missoni, or maybe I should say ‘smart’ Missoni – they’ve picked a winner.

13. Anita January 11, 2011 at 18:19 #

Unfortunately people will always pit women against each other, especially if they are co-stars. They are both great in their own right though. The picture looks nice; btw was she in the other pictures cos I cant really tell whether she was in that group pic.

14. KateS January 11, 2011 at 22:42 #

I haven’t always loved Leighton’s missoni outfits, but the new picture is gorgeous – she looks so pretty and charming. Good choice.

15. CreoleLady January 12, 2011 at 06:48 #

Meh, especially the red carpet photos. Joy Bryant is a better, albeit unofficial, ambassador for Missoni.

16. mikeijames January 12, 2011 at 09:01 #

if i were friends with margherita missoni herself, i might find this ad campaign compelling, but for the rest of us who fall out of her circle, it just looks like an editorial photograph. don’t get me wrong: leighton looks DARLING, but am i the only one who feels like this photo’s not really SELLING anything?

• Lee Ann January 12, 2011 at 16:08 #

If you can find the other photos from the campaign they are even more WTF-especially the one with Joan Burstein? but this is Teller . I found it ok in a Marc Jacobs ad but I really don’t understand why they would reuse the quirkiness for Missoni. Missoni has a lot of problems and this new campaign highlights rather than solves them.