24.12.10 Best Of

Stella’s Got Her Groove Back – Leighton Meester

For a short while we thought we’d lost Leighton Meester to the ‘crazy/try hard’ style gods.

At times her red carpet looks felt like she was constantly reminding us that she was not ‘Blair Waldorf’.

Yes, Leighton we always knew you were not the same person.

Once she let that go we could start to enjoy her choices again.

Leighton is all about sexy sophistication and we’ve recently seen her wearing an array of cute cocktail dresses and she even started an overnight menswear trend.

Thankfully her red carpet choices are never boring even though some have been controversial.

I also found it refreshing that she has an enviable shoe collection with very few black pumps and Brian Atwood heels in sight.

Credit: Zuma Press & Getty

Statement Dresses 2010

Statement Dresses 2010

Promotional Tour Star of 2010 - Sarah Jessica Parker

Promotional Tour Star of 2010 – Sarah Jessica Parker

26 Responses to Stella’s Got Her Groove Back – Leighton Meester

1. Cristina December 24, 2010 at 13:10 #

That black lace jumpsuit is so bad it almost erases how good the other looks are! I’ll just have to block that one out of my mind!

2. justme December 24, 2010 at 13:18 #

Leighton recently said that she often builds her outfits around her shoes. I love her for that and I wish more celebs would follow her lead.
    I’m glad that she stopped fighting the cute too.

3. Marvel December 24, 2010 at 13:18 #

Im so glad she’s gone back to, what I feel is her personal style, and isnt trying to be some Ke$ha reject or something.
    I think its only in the second half of the year when she truly got her grrove

• jeremy December 24, 2010 at 15:45 #

Ke$ha reject? LOL, I hardly can imagine what is worse than Ke$ha (remember the trash bags dress she wore at the VMA?)
      I adore Leighton. Way better than Blake. She has that quirk that I cannot resist. BTW, how come the Marc Jacobs mini dress didn’t make the list. I’m sure we still gushing over that one.

4. Rosie December 24, 2010 at 13:20 #

i adore Leighton’s style, thanks for including her in your end of year posts FC.

Also Merry Christmas and best wishes for the new year.
    I’ve adored your blog all year – it’s definitely the top fashion site out there. Xx

5. SegioA December 24, 2010 at 13:24 #

So Well Deserved! she was amazing this year, she was bold, trendy, sexy, and cofident, and i think a combination of all these elements made her a great star on the red carpet.
    Fashion Critic MErry Christmas to you! I really wish you a lot of joy, health and success in this new year…youre so amazing.. thank you for this every day dedication to fashion and all of us… youre such a Star!….. all the best!

6. Hannah December 24, 2010 at 13:29 #

DEfinitely worthy of this award. I remember certain looks that I actually wince at when I remember them, but honestly these past few months she has dressed flawlessly. She is always brave and courageous, and yes, her shoes are amazing!

7. b December 24, 2010 at 13:33 #

Haha I must be the only person who adore her Pop Star era

I think she’s very interesting back then. I still love her style very much now though. And she should have won Best Skin award if you ever had one.

• Natalie December 24, 2010 at 13:52 #

agreed. She’s just been selected to front a Korean cosmetics line. if the Koreans think your skin is good, then it MUST be good considering how pretty much all their guys and girls have flawless complexions.

• Anita December 25, 2010 at 06:18 #

Yes, I think shes got great skin. Her complexion and cheeks just reminds me of a porcelin doll.

8. Natalie December 24, 2010 at 13:51 #

fabulous! I love Leighton and her shoe collection is really amazing. She’ll wear a tee and jeans on her way to the Gossip Girl set and some electric blue amazing strappy shoes. I never find her try-hard, I always feel like she’s having fun with her clothes, and I know she looks up to Chloe Sevigny, and with any luck Leighton could be the next Chloe.

9. Hermione Weasley December 24, 2010 at 14:00 #

Well deserved! She improved so much, I can’t wait to see what she’s gonna wear next :D

10. Hisadora December 24, 2010 at 14:04 #

This was a fantastic year for her!!! Love all of these looks :)

11. Spanish lover December 24, 2010 at 16:36 #

First, merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.
    I’m Spanish and I don’t understand the meaning of the title of the post. Could you please give a translation or explanation? Best regards.

• Fashion Critic December 24, 2010 at 16:51 #

My Christmas.

Stella’s Got Her Groove Back is a title of a book and a movie.

In this sense I’m basically saying that she’s back on track after a crazy spell of wearing clothes we didn’t like

• Spanish lover December 25, 2010 at 11:58 #

Thank you so much. You’re doing an extraordinary work. Hope I enjoy next year with your blog, as much as I did in 2010.

12. Laura December 24, 2010 at 17:00 #

I love how she’s not a 1 designer girl. All the looks here are all from different designers which makes for more dynamic RC choices. My faves are the Elie Saab, Christian Dior, and the Prabal Gurung. And the shoes she wore with the Versus dress are fab.

13. Ev December 24, 2010 at 17:12 #

The blue Elie Saab is still very much my favorite, but I loved almost all of her looks from the second half of the year. And her shoes are all to die for!

14. mochababe73 December 24, 2010 at 17:16 #

I find that I dislike more the looks than I liked. I totally agree with your assessment that she tries to hard to be the anti-Blair. We get it.
    I still say that the first dress is covered in amoeba.

15. mol December 24, 2010 at 18:10 #

What makes me want to see Leighton on the RC is that it feels like she really loves fashion and loves playing with all sorts of color/texture/style combos, which I personally find inspiring. I think she’s the SJP of her generation (her love of sHoes underscores that, no?) – I sure hope she keeps her groove on for 2011!!

16. Alina December 24, 2010 at 18:11 #

She deserves it – she had an amazing year.

17. Emma December 24, 2010 at 19:16 #

Leighton is so adorable! She definitely deserves this!
    Lookinf forward to her outfits in 2011!

18. Anita December 25, 2010 at 06:15 #

Aside from a few (ahem the lace jumpsuit) Ive really liked her style this year. I think when she was trying to do her music thing she went a bit too far trying to be the anti-blair; when in fact the sophistication of “Blair” + a bit of edge suits Leighton the best.

Am I the only one sensing that shes going to be doing a country album next year. I really think she needs to hang the music up, and just concentrate on acting.

19. Annel December 25, 2010 at 11:00 #

Love love love Leighton! She’s got a quirk that makes her outfits interesting. And her shoes are to die for!

20. _danny (aka the modman) December 26, 2010 at 03:57 #

Even with a few stumbles, at least she takes some risks!

21. Julianne December 26, 2010 at 16:46 #