23.12.10 Best Of

Magnifique To Tragique 2010 – Marion Cotillard

The decline of Marion Cotillard’s red carpet style has been both tragic and baffling this year.

When we first started following Marion’s style, we were all enchanted with her fascinating allure and intelligent grace.

She started the year glowing in Elie Saab Couture. She then showed us she’s has a different side to her by wearing a sublime Lefranc Ferrant metallic jumpsuit.

Towards the latter part of 2010, things started to go terribly wrong.

We tried to pass off the first violation as a one off, but the French actress ended the year on an all time low with bad make-up, bad hair and poor red carpet choices.

Credit: Getty

Best British Export - Carey Mulligan

Best British Export – Carey Mulligan

Most Consistent 2010 - Fan Bing Bing

Most Consistent 2010 – Fan Bing Bing

21 Responses to Magnifique To Tragique 2010 – Marion Cotillard

1. LizLemooooon December 23, 2010 at 16:08 #

Urgh, I admire her so much as an actress and she’s so beautiful. I suppose these disasterous fashion choices were her attempt at taking more fashion risks but they just didn’t work out because they seemed confused and awkward.
    I hope she does better in 2011 in awards season. I can’t bear another look like that hideous blue print dress with that ridiculous feather collar.

2. Pat December 23, 2010 at 16:17 #

I totally agree. How tragic. She’s so stylish yet at times she just gets all confused & it all goes so very wrong. Stay clear of those curls too.

3. Laura December 23, 2010 at 16:37 #

The first look was a little too ice skater for me but in retrospect was okay. I really like the second look. The last two are horrendous but my least fave Marion look has to be that black Dior that looked like she was carrying sextuplets. Marion was the biggest disappointment this year.

4. nicky December 23, 2010 at 16:45 #

well she did wear a better pretty black dress after her disastrous feather blue one….she is so beautiful which is a shame. i do have a feeling she’s pregnant though…

5. Alina December 23, 2010 at 16:50 #

I hope she will do better next year.
    Really hope she will wear this dress http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/S2011RTW-JASONWU?event=show2182&designer=design_house1157&trend=&iphoto=30#slide=30 at the 2011 People’s Choice Awards.

6. Alexandra December 23, 2010 at 17:01 #

i’m still baffled whats with this poodle perm. so wrong.

7. Bego December 23, 2010 at 17:34 #

I couldn’t agree more. It’s been getting worse and worse. I hope 2011 is a better year for her.

8. Sasha December 23, 2010 at 18:06 #

one word: Dior

9. Hannah December 23, 2010 at 18:10 #

URGHHHHH. How could she go so wrong? A truly heinous and sad moment has come over my, and I am sure many other (ex) marion fans.

10. Mario December 23, 2010 at 18:54 #

Uh thank you for this. I really thought it’d pass without the recognition it deserves! *sarcastic smile*

11. Mille December 23, 2010 at 19:35 #

ahh, just, I mean what happened?!

12. Alicat December 23, 2010 at 22:35 #

Great actress who has that “je ne sais quoi” regardless of what she wears although I must say that last 80s look with the poodle perm is stretching things.

13. Ashley December 23, 2010 at 23:44 #

It’s so sad because she was always my favorite!! I loved reading the 2010 recap posts, awesome job! X

• Fashion Critic December 24, 2010 at 00:05 #

thanks Ashley.

Happy holidays x

14. Linda December 23, 2010 at 23:47 #

Great tag line for this post! Also “things started to go terribly wrong” – ha ha

15. Ayesha December 24, 2010 at 06:45 #

i love her but with such choices..not so much…she’s incredibly beautiful,why go for such trashy choices,maybe she needs to wear less Dior.

16. Marvel December 24, 2010 at 13:05 #

Isnt it funny that her two bad choices were Dior, for which she is the brand ambassador. Time to drop the duties Miss Cotillard

17. kitvancleave December 24, 2010 at 15:41 #

If you are going to stop admiring Cotillard’s acting because you don’t like this dress or that one she wears once, I don’t think you are really “fans” in the first place.. Generally one lets people make a mistake or two, then tells them (if possible) or just waits for the new look. This woman has changed clothes in one year more than any of you have in a decade. Give her a break.

18. _danny (aka the modman) December 26, 2010 at 04:03 #

You definitely bring the lol. 2011 is a new year!

19. Eva March 4, 2011 at 06:17 #

Hi your site is awesome! just browsing interesting archives of yours, Marion is pregnant…. i think that’s why she wore that hideous blue dress, she should take some tips from Natalie Portman!

• Fashion Critic March 4, 2011 at 08:32 #