23.12.10 Best Of

Best British Export – Carey Mulligan

After looking back on Carey Mulligan’s red carpet looks of 2010, I decided that it wasn’t as bad as I had originally assumed.

She had the odd look which would age her quite drastically, but she got into the swing of things towards the latter part of the year after the pressure of Awards season was over.

Carey went from appearing on ‘Who Wore It Better?’ polls with Anna Wintour, to wearing fresh young labels such as Prabal Gurung and Preen.

She also looked gorgeous wearing Elie Saab and what appeared to be her favourite label – Vionnet.

Runner up: Emily Blunt

Credit: Getty

65 Years Young & Still Going Strong - Helen Mirren

65 Years Young & Still Going Strong – Helen Mirren

Magnifique To Tragique 2010 - Marion Cotillard

Magnifique To Tragique 2010 – Marion Cotillard

20 Responses to Best British Export – Carey Mulligan

1. Erik December 23, 2010 at 15:10 #

I so agree with this. Carey in the Vionnet dress pictured above was in my top 10 for BDOTY

2. mm December 23, 2010 at 15:11 #

I agree her red carpet looks improved with time. Often with these actresses and performers i need the talent to also win me over and Carey did that in “never let me go.”

3. Laura December 23, 2010 at 15:28 #

The second look is my fave. That interesting shoe choice makes the outfit. I don’t always like what Carey wears, but I like all four outfits here.

4. rebecca December 23, 2010 at 15:30 #

ahhh im like refreshing the page,,, waiting for the critic’s and the reader’s BDOTY poll to come up OMG i have been waiting all day for this and its ten thirty in the night in my country

• Fashion Critic December 23, 2010 at 16:02 #

reader choice is today and the critic’s choice tomorrow :)

• rebecca December 23, 2010 at 16:15 #

ahhh im so excited i can’t wait!! i hope dree hemingway’s valentino couture dress either makes the critics or the readers BDOTY list… i think many people have forgotten about that dress but i still remember loud and clear… i cant tell you how many times i’ve voted for that one haha

5. Alina December 23, 2010 at 15:38 #

I liked Emily’s looks better but Carey deserves this award as well.

6. Hisadora December 23, 2010 at 15:39 #

Yes, she did a great job this year. I’m still in love with that Preen look.

7. Dani December 23, 2010 at 15:43 #

I would have put Emma Watson in her place, but Carey works for me too :)

8. LizLemooooon December 23, 2010 at 16:15 #

I like Carey, she’s well spoken and smart and doesn’t take herself too seriously. She also does try to take some risks but at the same time her dress sense suggests someone in their 40s. She can do sexy but in a subtle elegant way.

9. Yaas December 23, 2010 at 16:22 #

I liked Carey’s and Emma Watson’s style from UK this year.

10. Chinyere December 23, 2010 at 16:32 #

Carey KILLED it in the Vionnet! She’s a doll.

11. nicky December 23, 2010 at 16:49 #

she is absolutely amazing (both style and acting!). she’s really refined her style towards the end of the year especially and never fails to look sophisticated and gorgeous. definitely looking forward to looks in 2011.

12. Ev December 23, 2010 at 17:29 #

I fell in love with her this year. That black Elie Saab was in my top 10 of BDOTY.

13. anna December 23, 2010 at 17:55 #

wow! i love carey style!
    she has made very interesting choices and ,in general, was really consistent! only some bad choices,but…who doesn’t make some bad choices?

14. frommdq December 23, 2010 at 23:00 #

Carey in Preen is on of my oun Top 5 for 2010.

15. Anita December 24, 2010 at 00:34 #

I have a love/hate relationship with Carey in terms of her style. To me shes a cross between the older Michelle Williams and the young Emma Watson yet most of the time she manages to make herself look older than Michelle who is 30. I think its mainly down to her hair cut and the way she purses her lips which just age her. Cos when she gets it right (and when she smiles) she is SO stunning.

16. mochababe73 December 24, 2010 at 01:05 #

I am not a fan of Carey whasoever. She wore some very pretty clothing, but always felt like she looked old.

17. Marvel December 24, 2010 at 13:07 #

Not a fan. She looks like she is forced to wear the clothes and I will never get the fascination with her in Preen. I thought it was a terrible look

18. _danny (aka the modman) December 26, 2010 at 04:04 #

Such a fan, love her sophistication and how she makes each look her own.