Elle Fanning For Interview Magazine December/January 2010/2011

I still find it so hard to believe that actress Elle Fanning is only 12 years old.

The youngster appears in the latest edition of Interview magazine looking angelic wearing Valentino, Chanel, Marc Jacobs and 3.1 Phillip Lim.

The black and white images were captured by Steven Pan.

I love her editorial. The pictures are so beautiful and clean and I love how they don’t make Elle look too grown up.

Her beauty and innocence translates well in these pictures.

Here are some extracts from her interview:

On already working with so many great people: “It’s amazing that I get to meet all these people. I’ve learned so much from all of them. I just worked with Sofia Coppola and that was amazing. I learned so much from her. I can’t even describe how much fun I had.”

On fashion: “I love fashion! I love clothes! I really like vintage clothes, so in my closet there’s a lot of ’50s stuff. I go to the stores and shop around.”

On her favouite designers: “I wore the Marc Jacobs dress, so I love Marc Jacobs. He has a vintage flair. But I’ve always worn a lot of vintage stuff, so it hasn’t been a lot of
designers. If I see something that I like, I just buy it.”

On sharing clothes with Dakota: “Yes. We’re sort of the same size. I’m taller than her, though . . . She does not like that at all. She probably doesn’t like me wearing her clothes either, but we do still share. I sneak into her closet and grab things out and put them on. She’s a senior, so she’s going to college soon. But we share a bathroom.”

Credit: Style.com & Steven Pan for Interview

Emily Blunt In Prada - ‘Edge Of Tomorrow’ New York Premiere

Emily Blunt In Prada – ‘Edge Of Tomorrow’ New York Premiere

Victoria Beckham For Vogue UK February 2011

Victoria Beckham For Vogue UK February 2011

48 Responses to Elle Fanning For Interview Magazine December/January 2010/2011

1. Hisadora December 22, 2010 at 14:07 #

So very cute!!! Loved her editorial :) And that Valentino dress is just amazing!

2. Claire December 22, 2010 at 14:17 #

She looks beautiful, the picture in the valentino dress is stunning

3. Jennifer December 22, 2010 at 14:24 #

She looks so like a young Carey Mulligan it’s scary. Stunning photos.

4. Moxie December 22, 2010 at 14:42 #

Such a cutie!

5. Joy December 22, 2010 at 14:58 #

Am I the only one who has an issue with a child being promoted in womens clothing? Miley and the other young hollywood are not much better but they seem older. This just seems to be really pushing the envelope. I can’t even discuss the beauty of the photography or fashion because she is a child. This is promoting a horrible standard for women and young girls.

• Yaas December 22, 2010 at 15:18 #

I also have some issues with a child be treating like a woman: make up, clothes and all. She is absolutely beautiful, no doubt but I have a bad feeling when I see somebody too young in woman’s outfit.

• mm December 22, 2010 at 15:19 #

I understand your point. But i do think they choose appropriate clothes for her age even thuogh they are women clothes. I do know alot of young girls who have to wear women clothes because they are so big. But it is how they are style they still are age appropriate. The poses bad posture and all are not over sexy, she has on minimal make-up. So i think the image is balanced here.

• CreoleLady December 22, 2010 at 15:24 #

No you are not the only one having an issue with a 12 year old in women’s clothes, mascara, possibly false eyelashes, etc being promoted in Interview in this way. This ick factor ruins any beauty the images might otherwise have for me.

• chezi December 22, 2010 at 16:28 #

Unfortunately, many models that you see on the runway begin modeling at the age of 13, so Elle Fanning is about the right age to be “promoting women’s clothing.”

That being said, I think the Valentino is an amazing dress too.

• Naomi December 22, 2010 at 16:57 #

Nope. True, she doesn’t seem 12, but she is. All the make-up, heels, somber faces, poses. They don’t got much with the 12-year-old I know.
      All of these pictures could have easily been replaced with an older woman, and they wouldn’t seem weird at all, and that’s what weirding me out.

• molly December 22, 2010 at 19:27 #

I was going to make exactly the same comment. The Valentino is the only one that dosn’t freak me out – it looks like it could be just a party dress. But the makeup and the heels are just too much. To those of you who say girls start modeling at 14, the two years between 12 and 14 are HUGE in terms of development and maturity. Not sure when Elle’s birthday is but my 12 year old is in 6th grade – still elementary school!

• Natalia December 27, 2010 at 16:09 #

True, oh so very true.

6. Lisa December 22, 2010 at 15:30 #

She’s 12??????????????? I doubt the Valentino designers had that age group in mind when they designed that dress – but my goodness does she look good in it.
    I can partly agree with what Joy says above, but at the same time she is a young girl playing dress up – they aren’t sexualising her or making her look older so I think it’s a great editoral.

• CB December 22, 2010 at 17:19 #

That was my first reaction, too. TWELVE??!?!??!?!?!?!?

7. Marian December 22, 2010 at 15:44 #

darling like you I cannot believe she is just 12! she is so breathtaking. What a beautiful young lady she is
    xoxo
    M.

8. Kaylie December 22, 2010 at 16:44 #

I don’t particularly like the Phillip Lim look on her, but she looks adorable in everything else!

• mol December 22, 2010 at 17:40 #

I agree, that is the one outfit/pose that made me squirm a little bit – but otherwise, I think they hit a fairly good balance.

• pipsqueak December 24, 2010 at 00:17 #

I completely agree. I don’t like the look or the pose. Granted, it’s Interview, so she’s supposed to look edgy and artsy rather than girl-next-door. But that Philip Lim picture should’ve been replaced. Who’s the stylist for this shoot?!

9. Cheryl Wong December 22, 2010 at 16:50 #

Joy, so long as these girls are not being paraded around in what should be called underwear or bare skin, then why not? They’re not being promoted as more mature or womanly. The clothes just look good. She looks more like a doll than someone who engages in prostitution. I get really frustrated when people put on this holier-than-thou attitude when common sense should prevail.

• erin December 22, 2010 at 23:11 #

it’s not a holier than thou attitude. while the clothes may be appropriate, the idea that a 12 year old should be paraded in a fashion magazine wearing clothes designed for adults is not.

10. Zarine Mohideen December 22, 2010 at 17:00 #

This girl is adorable! At least they didn’t make her wear any revealing clothes. She is dressed age appropriately and that is saying a lot considering what kids these days wear.
    Also, LOVE the Valentino!

11. jen December 22, 2010 at 17:27 #

phillip lim trench photo doesnt make her look too grown up? it looks very good, dont get me wrong, but then u remember she is only 12 & u go wow, thats not right

12. Megan December 22, 2010 at 18:44 #

I agree with Joy I don’t understand 12 year olds wearing womens designer clothes.I know she is in an editorial and at premiers so Elle and others her age would wear big names but I would love to see her in a designer childrens dress there are some beautiful ones which would stand out and be different.

13. Hannah December 22, 2010 at 18:48 #

Other than th first picture I actually really dn’t like this editorial. I love her but I think it is too forced and too old. She is wearing too much makeup IMO, I much prefer her on the red carpet. She doesn’t look like herself, she looks a lot like Lily Allen. I like the poses and photos, just reallynot the styling, especially the marc jacobs one, she looks really old, I think basic clothes adn really simple photos would ahv been beauitful and truly a breath of fresh air. I am bitterly dissappointed, especially given the promise in the stunning first photo.

14. a December 22, 2010 at 18:56 #

I think they picked appropriate clothes for her. The phillip lim trench reminds me of a raincoat i used to wear when i was little.. Maybe the posture makes it look a little off. Other than that, I kinda wish for some colours in the editorial. :)

15. Gorgeous Spice December 22, 2010 at 20:57 #

she may be a bigger star than her sister. she reminds me of drew barrymore

16. AJoanna December 22, 2010 at 21:16 #

I think the whole photoshoot is fine– it’s not one of my favorite photoshoots ever, but Elle is quite beautiful. If y’all really want to protest about children wearing inappropriate clothes and makeup, please redirect your fury to that awful “Toddlers and Tiaras” show. Now THAT is completely disgusting.

17. denise December 22, 2010 at 22:08 #

the clothes are all appropriate, good job…still though she looks a lot older than 12 in all the pics except the 1st and last.

18. Alicat December 22, 2010 at 22:52 #

I realise this is an editorial for a fashion mag but I find it strange that a 12 year old would even have heard of Marc Jacobs yet be aware that he has “vintage flair”. Are the words put in her mouth? Whle the photos have artistic merit, the fact that it is a child dressed up to look like a woman makes me feel uncomfortable. They are inappropriate. She should be out riding her bike.

• msd December 23, 2010 at 10:21 #

It really depends on the individual and their interests. I don’t think they put words in her mouth. In my experience kids can have interests that seem quite grown up, especially if they’re bright for their age. You just have to look at someone like Tavi to know that mature opinions about fashion can be held by someone quite young. That doesn’t mean Elle doesn’t like riding her bike or going to slumber parties like other 12 year olds. I’m sure she does.

• Alicat December 23, 2010 at 12:39 #

Such things may become interests if the child is immersed in them before it is age appropriate at the expense of things most 12 year old girls would be interested in.. Also physical maturity and intelligence are not always aligned with emotional maturity at such an age. Why would a 12 year old be interested in anything vintage? Even what their parents like is usually considered “old hat”! They live in the present as it should be.

Many of these child actresses go off the rails later on from being exposed to adult lifestyles and choices too early. This photoshoot is a case in point. All the styling choices are made by adults. Interview is not a children’s magaazine so why is a child being used as a model for clothes at all, let alone adult clothes? The whole scenario is worrying.

One would hope that the Fanning girls’ parents are giving them a normal childhood and not pursuing fame and fortune at their expense. However allowing their 12 year old daughter to be photographed this way is questionable. Maybe the magazine’s intention is to be controversial as it sells.

19. zoe December 22, 2010 at 23:51 #

it looks like elle could be a model!

20. SB December 23, 2010 at 01:57 #

Joy, I totally agree. This makes me feel uncomfortable also..Cheryl, I don’t believe that Joy was indicating she looked like a prostitute. That is not the issue here. However, I have to say that you thinking she looks like a doll is slightly creepy.

21. msd December 23, 2010 at 02:02 #

I get where people are coming from and I think it’s completely valid to express some concerns considering her age.

One thing I wanted to point out is that even without makeup, Elle doesn’t look twelve years old. She’s apparently 5′ 6″ tall already, the height of many grown women.

I do think that they have tried not to make her look overtly sexy in these photos. The Lim trench is borderline but the Valentino dress is something I could imagine seeing on an adolescent girl going to a party even though it’s a woman’s dress.

I’m just grateful they stuck to pretty instead of trying some horrible, trashy, pseudo “edgy” look like Taylor Momsen. That skunk junkie in lingerie look is bad enough on a grown up but it’s downright disturbing when the person is 14 or 15.

• Cheryl Wong December 23, 2010 at 10:47 #

That’s exactly what I’ve been trying to say.

22. Sophie December 23, 2010 at 05:01 #

12!?

23. Catherine December 23, 2010 at 06:54 #

It’s hard to believe she’s only 12, she’s already beautiful and she’ll only get more stunning as she grows up.

24. gossip_bangkok December 23, 2010 at 09:21 #

Such a beautiful editorial!

25. roxana December 23, 2010 at 09:42 #

lovely girl! i adore her!

26. Cheryl Wong December 23, 2010 at 11:12 #

Some girls mature faster than others. Dakota Fanning was an example of such a girl. Who could fault Elle for being genetically inclined to mature at a younger age than other girls? The way I see it is this. She is an actress with an amazing breakout role in a recent movie. Naturally, people want to know more about her. And people who know she’s Dakota Fanning’s sister are curious as to what she’s like. Wearing adult clothes for a photo shoot should not immediately be equated as “trying to push her to look more grown up” but rather may be a reflection of her own personal style. If you look back to her red-carpet photos, you’ll notice that she’s dressed in haute-couture from Marc Jacobs to Valentino. She looks age-appropriate but she’s wearing “adult” clothes.

I wasn’t implying that she was being labeled a prostitute by Joy. I was simply saying that there is a difference to dressing like a sophisticated adult versus dressing like lingerie-wearing Panda Momsen.

If Elle Fanning is more grounded at a younger age, then she’s less likely to be an out of control wild child.Dakota Fanning, if you noticed, is a very grounded girl. Emma Watson is as well. And they’ve been wearing “adult” clothing for ages.

This editorial, considering the things that we’ve seen grace our magazines in the past year or so, is quite appropriate. There’s no low cut tops or anything that is inappropriate for a girl of Elle’s age.

That being said, people have their own opinions and I respect that. Just putting out what I’m thinking.

p.s. When I said “doll” I meant, “Such a doll!” not “doll-like”.

• AJoanna December 23, 2010 at 14:44 #

Amen to that. I would also like to point out that a normal twelve year old life flew out the window the first time Elle decided to star in movies. There is very little normal about a movie star life, even if you stay as grounded as possible. So, no, a normal 12 year old wouldn’t know about Marc Jacobs, but Elle is definitely not normal. (She also has a very stylish older sister who probably has worn the brand too.) Would it be weird for a normal twelve year old to buy clothes in the misses section? Absolutely. But, as you may have noticed, very few, if any, designers make clothing for her age.
      I would like to congratulate her, however, on somehow finding age-appropriate clothing in these designer brands.
      And seriously, what else are they going to make her wear for the photoshoot? Junior clothing from Kohls?

• Cheryl Wong December 23, 2010 at 19:44 #

Exactly! And it wasn’t even a full spread/cover of a magazine. It was just a feature on a rising star.

• Cristina December 23, 2010 at 20:08 #

Panda Momsen! LOL. Love it!

27. Sienna December 23, 2010 at 23:20 #

She’s stunning. I just hope she doesn’t succumb to the Hollywood celebrity scene and all that pressure and that she doesn’t grow up to fast….ooops, too late for that! What will she blossom into, she couldn’t get more beautiful.

28. Sil December 24, 2010 at 02:13 #

She`s the cutest thing ever!

29. sarahw December 26, 2010 at 06:09 #

Ultimately it is her parents who allow her to do this or not. As we have seen in 90% of cases ‘child stars’ go off the rails, take drugs, need therapy etc. Although it might be every 12 y/o child’s dream to appear in movies and magazines, her parents are taking a huge risk with her mental health and the statistics say it will do her damage in the end. Their choice but I would not allow my daughter to do this at the age of 12. 16/17, no problem, but there is a big difference between 16 and 12.

30. Joy December 27, 2010 at 21:57 #

I was not insinuating she looked like a prostitute, and trust me when I say I am far from hollier-then-though. My commen sense leads me to see the marketing of younger and younger girls as just not right. I understand the sentiment that Elle wanted to do a story on this lovely rising star and had to dress her in something. But why are we choosing younger and younger girls to be our fashion icons? Haven’t we watched enough young women fall from grace? Strong families can only do so much when all that fame is on your shoulders at such a young age. We build them up so we can watch them fall. Then we comment on what a mess they have made of their lives. The bottom line is, I love fashion and I want to see a women wearing Valentino not a girl my daughters age. I say enough is enough, beautiful women should be the driving force that inspires us to buy, not a little girl playing dress up. Elle is only interested in what is profitable for them as a magazine. It is so unfortunate this is what is profitable.

31. maffie February 10, 2011 at 05:06 #

somebody PLEASE give some info about the see through shoes! does anyone know who designed them? or who sells them?