20.12.10 Advertising

January Jones For Versace Spring 2011 Ad Campaign

January Jones features in Versace’s new Spring/Summer 2011 advertising campaign which was shot by Mario Testino.

My pick for brand ambassador for Versace would’ve been Blake Lively, but after seeing these subtly sensual pictures I will say that Versace made the perfect choice.

January showcases the new Versace accessories with her sophisticated beauty. It’s so easy to forget she’s naked in these pictures.

Donatella Versace said: “I am always on the lookout for the next Versace blonde… and in January I feel I have found a perfect Versace woman for the twenty-first century. She is chic and elegant but deeply sensual too – it is a ‘dramatic’ combination.”

The black and white photographs and hair and makeup reference the spirit of the Sixties, which is appropriate as January is best known for her role in “Mad Men”.

The advertising campaign will feature bags, shoes, sunglasses and optical frames from the Versace Spring 2011 collection.

Credit: Mario Testino for Versace

Emily Blunt In Roksanda Ilincic – “Gulliver’s Travels” LA Premiere

Emily Blunt In Roksanda Ilincic – “Gulliver’s Travels” LA Premiere

Florence Welch Performs In Elie Saab & Ralph Lauren

Florence Welch Performs In Elie Saab & Ralph Lauren

28 Responses to January Jones For Versace Spring 2011 Ad Campaign

1. Marvel December 20, 2010 at 14:12 #

WRONG, WRONG and WRONG!

I dont think that Januray is a good fit for Verscae. Someone like Blake Lively (who is the face of Chanel – WTF?) is a better fit.
    I think in terms of Donatella finding the next Versace Blonde she needs to look in the direction of Lively or even Elizabeth Banks.

• mm December 20, 2010 at 15:08 #

I agree on this one. Betty Draper as Versace no way, not selling sexy to me even naked.

• Lara December 20, 2010 at 16:11 #

Nah, January >>> both of them. But Theron > January.
      I honestly think between all blondes Charlize will suit Versace the most, even better than her and Dior

• anna December 20, 2010 at 17:11 #

Blake looks like a hooker every time she wears Versace. I’m glad Donatella prefers January’s beauty and subtlety.

• Alex December 20, 2010 at 19:16 #

I totally agree with Anna, Blake is sexy but she’s not sophisticated-sexy. And January is like a definition of sexiness and sophistication in those pictures. I think she’s a great choice because more than once January totally knocked everyone out in Versace.

• E December 21, 2010 at 00:17 #

Haha, I totally agree that Blake just looks trashy. January is a thousand times classier and just as sexy.

• Mandy December 21, 2010 at 01:18 #

I’m with you. Charlize or even Christina Ricci would be so much better.

• Marvel December 21, 2010 at 12:33 #

Thank You.
        I think while people think Blake’s trashy (fair enough), I just feel that January is NOT a good fit for Versace. While I like Theron, she has been slipping up pretty badly this year. Elizabeth Banks or even Ricci would be better fitted than JJ in my opinion.

2. anne December 20, 2010 at 14:20 #

This photoshoot reminds me of the one with Gisele for Love magazine. Maybe it’s the hairstyle and the make-up but that’s what i thought first.

3. Dorian Gray December 20, 2010 at 14:57 #

I prefer the pictures with the other purse that I saw somewhere else, however January has got the right attitude for being a Versace Woman, maybe Blake Lively would have been too much young for the brand.

4. Lee Ann December 20, 2010 at 15:45 #

Its funny as beautiful as I think January is on Mad Men I don’t think her beauty works outside of it -if that makes any sense. Perhaps the modern world does not suit her.

I also agree with Anne when I saw these pictures a few weeks ago i thought for a nano secont it was Gisele but shot poorly.

• Linda December 20, 2010 at 23:13 #

I used to feel that way too. I was always let down when I saw her on the red carpet because her styling on Mad Men made her look so beautiful, like Grace Kelly. Now I appreciate her beauty on and off set. I like her in this role.

5. SET December 20, 2010 at 16:06 #

I cant wait to get me the sunglasses on the left. Love it.

6. Lara December 20, 2010 at 16:13 #

Stunning. Better than I expected(but thanks it’s not clothes line)

7. mikeijames December 20, 2010 at 16:18 #

she channels old hollywood so well in this campaign. the glamour is palpable.

8. anna December 20, 2010 at 17:02 #

These are stunning.

9. Hannah December 20, 2010 at 17:19 #

I really like it an dI am pleasantly surprised. I think she looks great inthe photos, especially the sunglasses one on the left. However, I think sh elooks good for this and certain other seasons, but I really want the fun young sexy Versace back, and although January is gorgeous, she just doesn’t fit that.
    I want a model, not a celebrity.

10. summer December 20, 2010 at 21:39 #

you’ re obsessed with blake lively!

• Fashion Critic December 20, 2010 at 22:58 #

what’s wrong with that?

• Linda December 20, 2010 at 23:11 #

LOL! I myself have a bit of girl crush on Lively. She always lights up the screen on Gossip Girl.

• Dorian Gray December 21, 2010 at 11:09 #

I’m mad about both January and Blake but while GG girl is so sexy January is elegant and chic. Different kind of beauty.

• cartouche December 20, 2010 at 23:27 #

it’s on trend..
      here is another boring blonde that is going to be shoved in our faces all the time. great!

11. Alicat December 20, 2010 at 23:11 #

I find her look very bland – almost generic. Her face is not memorable and surely that is the aim when selecting a face for an ad campaign. She could be any beautifully photographed blonde in sunglasses or wearing a bag!

12. Mandy December 21, 2010 at 01:16 #

January for Versace? No. I don’t get it.

13. The Clothes Whisperer December 21, 2010 at 11:14 #

I adore this campaign, she is such a classic stunner

xx

14. maria December 23, 2010 at 12:59 #

and by Versace blond, she means white girl!

I don’t recall seeing a black model in a Versace campaign since Donatella took over.

15. Anita December 24, 2010 at 01:00 #

I absolutely adore January so Im happy for her. Although not what I would have chosen as a fit for Versace, I actually think she will be a good fit. Plus the pictures are stunning.

16. Reisa22 February 17, 2011 at 20:38 #

I completely agree with Maria, which is why I will only be a merchant of those who’s not afraid or closed minded of having Black models in their ad campaigns or walk the runway in their fashion shows. Hell I don’t even see any Asians or Hispanics walking the runways.