Natalie Portman In Christian Dior – “Black Swan” New York Premiere

Natalie Portman made a dramatic entrance on the red carpet at the New York premiere of her new film, “Black Swan” last night.

The actress who has been wearing a lot of summery colours recently opted for a black Christian Dior Resort 2011 gown.

Her off-the-shoulder gown was presented in a pretty turquoise colour and decorated with crystal embellishments, but the face of Dior opted to keep her red carpet look very simple.

Following Clemence Poesy, Natalie carried an Olympia Le-Tan Lolita clutch which looks like a book.

Natalie wore a very dark shade of rouge on her lips to complete her Gothic glamorous look.

As much as I like the look I’m missing the belt.

Credit: Style.com, Fame Pictures & Zuma

In Sarah Jessica Parker's Closet - Halston Heritage Plissé Maxi Dress

In Sarah Jessica Parker’s Closet – Halston Heritage Plissé Maxi Dress

Blake Lively In Prabal Gurung - 2010 Footwear News Achievement Awards

Blake Lively In Prabal Gurung – 2010 Footwear News Achievement Awards

39 Responses to Natalie Portman In Christian Dior – “Black Swan” New York Premiere

1. Gretta December 1, 2010 at 13:07 #

I would have preferred to see her in the turquoise version. She would have carried it off beautifully. Im also missing the belt as presented on the runway. The wide shot makes Natalie look…well…wide.

• michelle December 1, 2010 at 13:49 #

ditto

• Chloe December 1, 2010 at 15:05 #

I thought the exact same thing!
      She looks big and we all know she’s far from.

• Methedrine December 1, 2010 at 15:09 #

I agree too!

• dee December 1, 2010 at 15:34 #

I agree.

• justme December 1, 2010 at 15:52 #

Exactly.

2. Kate December 1, 2010 at 13:08 #

shame the background is black so you can’t see her silhouette so well! Mix up from her usual, pulls it off!

• Anissa December 1, 2010 at 15:07 #

Exactly. The beautiful dress is swallowed up. I understand why she work black (she does play the black swan after all) so I think it’s appropriate and I love the close up details, but the background spoils the long shot.

• Vidhya December 1, 2010 at 15:53 #

there r people who choose their dresses based on the carpet colour and BG colur.. i guess this is poor homework by her stylist.. turquoise wud have looked stunning against the black BG..

3. J December 1, 2010 at 13:09 #

I know Natalie is not an idiot, and she looks amazing… and the clutch in itself is beautiful… but a book? Are we going to have Paris Hiltons walking around with book clutches under their arm pretending they can read now? :$

4. sarah December 1, 2010 at 13:15 #

SHE’S BEAUTIFUL love the red lips & the black gown
    but the dress makes her look a little bit chubby in the arms

BDOTW worthy

5. luiza December 1, 2010 at 13:23 #

she’s looks fat here. and she’s not tall enough to weare a dress like this

6. mikeijames December 1, 2010 at 13:29 #

her beautiful red lips remain the star of this look. and that gorgeous heart ring also steals the show.

7. antoneLLina December 1, 2010 at 13:34 #

why? why why why she didn’t wear the runway color…i think that she’d look awesome.

8. GirlOne December 1, 2010 at 14:08 #

The dress is not very flattering. And she looks miserable.

• Ethne Blist December 1, 2010 at 15:38 #

The dress is eating her bottom up. This is awful. Why not the turquoise version? Seriously.

9. Natasha December 1, 2010 at 14:20 #

This was a poor look compared to Mila Kunis, she looked stunning!

10. nicky December 1, 2010 at 14:32 #

everything looks wrong..the hair, the makeup, the dress….she definitey needed a belt. the dress colour blends with the background and just makes her wide and boxy looking. definitely a miss!

• Naomi December 1, 2010 at 17:31 #

I agree with everything you wrote – This look is a miss in every aspect.

11. Helen December 1, 2010 at 14:43 #

Beautiful……..but she does not look happy

12. fashion-mommy December 1, 2010 at 15:44 #

much prefer the turquoise version, some of the glamour of this dress looks lost when worn in black.

13. Laura December 1, 2010 at 16:19 #

I can accept that because of the movie, she was going to wear something like this. But this is not the right way to do it. This was one of my faves from the Dior Resort 2011 collection, and the modifications took out all that was interesting, not only the color but the belt and embellishments as well.

Plus, the proportions on Natalie make her appear to be much larger than she actually is.

14. Alice[*] December 1, 2010 at 16:26 #

She looks like a sad witch.

15. CB December 1, 2010 at 16:29 #

Didn’t Rodarte do the costumes for the film? Shouldn’t she be supporting them instead of Dior? She always looks so stunning in Rodarte, and I think this dress is a fail because (as many others have pointed out) you can’t see it against the black backdrop! Love the clutch though!! Kate Spade has some like it, for a fraction of the cost!

• Fashion Critic December 1, 2010 at 17:47 #

She’s paid by Dior to promote the brand whereas she’s loaned dresses by Rodarte.

Dior gets seniority.

16. Ev December 1, 2010 at 16:56 #

I think the problem is the black background. Natalie disappeares into it which makes her look wider. I like this dress, but more than a belt I miss those embelishments on the bodice. Love her hair and red lips.

17. Kathy December 1, 2010 at 17:20 #

if she had worn the runway dress my jaw would’ve dropped!

18. Hannah December 1, 2010 at 18:30 #

I am crying inside. The clutch just does ntowork here, it is a kooky clutch, and the outfit is not, also, the way sh eholds it inteh first picture makes it look overwhelming on her. The dress is depressing, esepcially against a black back drop. IMO when John Galliano makes a dress black it is so for a reason, because that is the best colour for it, but he uses so much colour, because that is the best colour for it. I am missing the sparkle, the embellishments the colour and, yes, the belt. It also looks like it need hoiking up, the cups are too square, and h esleeves arent draped half as elegantly as the model. The hair and makeup are also too severe for this look. I am really hoping for her next red carpet appearance, that she will look incredible, god knows she can!

19. Mel December 1, 2010 at 18:44 #

I’m very surprised because I never thought Natalie could look this bad. The dress failed on her, and she must know it because she looks uncomfortable, and I prefer not to talk about her makeup… awful.

20. advo December 1, 2010 at 19:50 #

The dress completely overwhelms her body. Terrible choice, not to use a belt! At first, I didn’t even recognise the dress from the runway.

21. Tahj December 1, 2010 at 22:24 #

LOVE it. The black elegance just perfectly suits the theme of her movie too. I love the way the sleeves fall off her shoulders so beautifully. She looks classically beautiful in that combined with the red lipstick. I think Natalie should go for simple looks because she’s too pretty and too much of a star to just wear gowns too flashy IMO.

22. Marvel December 1, 2010 at 23:36 #

NOT a flattering look for her. Extremely disappointed by Natalie.

Love the clutch though

23. Ella December 2, 2010 at 01:47 #

Hate the dress but I COVET that clutch. Hmm… Christmas present perhaps?

Lolita is an amazing novel btw. I definitely recommend

24. mochababe73 December 2, 2010 at 03:33 #

I think that it would have been more dramatic to wear the aqua. I don’t like the dress in black. It’s safe and boring.

25. KateS December 2, 2010 at 04:21 #

Ageing and unflattering, and that clutch makes no sense with the rest of the look. Not surprising that she looks so glum.

• Emi December 2, 2010 at 10:23 #

We all have different opinions, of course, but I think that these clutches are difficult to match with every kind of clothes, since they’re books. Personally I really like them, they’re so cute and, unfortunately, very very expensive.

26. Emi December 2, 2010 at 10:20 #

First of all, I love the clutch, as I’ve already written that it’s one of my fashion dreams. I also like that she chose a beautiful title, Lolita. I like the dress, I love black but I must admit that it often doesn’t work on the red carpet, most of all here, with a black backdrop, and I agree she doesn’t look the thin girl she is. i love the hair and the make-up, I think that she kinda “matched” the character she plays, I love the character of the black swan in “Swan Lake”!!

27. meimei December 2, 2010 at 13:01 #

I wish she wore the dress on the runway. This dress doesn’t flatter her but I absolutely love the clutch and her hair and make-up.

28. gossip_bangkok December 2, 2010 at 15:38 #

Like it, but don’t love it. I however, like her red lips, and her clutch. The green and red does stand out from the black gown.