Leighton Meester In Marchesa – Harry Winston Court Of Jewels Recreation Launch

Leighton Meester attended the Harry Winston Court Of Jewels Recreation Launch in New York City last night.

She boldly wore a Marchesa Spring 2011 sheer lace jumpsuit.

The jumpsuit has an extreme plunging neckline, an embellished waistband and an open back.

It leaves very little to the imagination, but Leighton it classy enough to pull it off.

I really admire this look.

I don’t like the necklace, but that was the purpose of the event.

As I said yesterday Leighton is keeping things really interesting on the red carpet, this is just another chapter of that book.

Nicholas Kirkwood heels, pinned up hair, ruby lips and her Ball bag complete her look.

Not everyone is going to like this, but I’ll take this look over another Spring 2011 floral dress in mid-November.

Credit: NYMag.com & Getty

Emma Watson In Carven - The Today Show

Emma Watson In Carven – The Today Show

Dion Lee Launches On Net-A-Porter.com Today

Dion Lee Launches On Net-A-Porter.com Today

82 Responses to Leighton Meester In Marchesa – Harry Winston Court Of Jewels Recreation Launch

1. ude November 17, 2010 at 11:55 #

breathtaking

2. inside la senza November 17, 2010 at 12:02 #

Full credit to her – it’s a brave move.
    Vicky x

• Marvel November 17, 2010 at 16:21 #

Thats what I thought. Not a fan but props to her wearing it in public

3. Karen November 17, 2010 at 12:04 #

I have been waiting for you to post this. She looks stunning but… have you seen the back shots??

• Fashion Critic November 17, 2010 at 12:08 #

yes I saw the back :s
      ;)

• Karen November 17, 2010 at 12:14 #

I think from the front it is stunning but the back shot, unfortunately, ruined it for me. It took the look from classy to oh no..

• Jasmine November 17, 2010 at 13:15 #

agree with Karen… also, the shoulder stickers are a downer.

• Elaine November 17, 2010 at 13:31 #

Agreed – was beginning to love the look until I seen the back of it….

• Samm November 17, 2010 at 14:13 #

There’s a nude layer, it’s no see thru in the back.

• KateS November 17, 2010 at 23:18 #

*shudders*. Lined or not, the rear view is bad! A misguided garment that Leighton was misguided to wear.

4. mm November 17, 2010 at 12:11 #

This is a brave look, very 1950s showgirl inspired. I love it.

5. Joy November 17, 2010 at 12:19 #

This is one of those looks either you are going to love or hate! I love it! It takes a lot to pull this pantsuit off. Very daring and deserving of BDOW pick.

• Fashion Critic November 17, 2010 at 12:30 #

For sure. It’s a marmite look.

We’ve had a lot of those lately.

6. fashion-mommy November 17, 2010 at 12:21 #

I just hate it…its cheap and tacky looking – like an explosion at Ann Summers!

7. Lee Ann November 17, 2010 at 12:21 #

As I scrolled down I thought that she looked stunning. Unfortunately I then got past herwaist to ther hips. Yikes I jumped 2 feet back from the screen in horror. Yuck! Sorry this is not brave to me. It is misguided and fashion victimey

8. manja November 17, 2010 at 12:22 #

awful,that’s all i can say.what posesed her to wear this thing is beyond me?!

• Pristine November 17, 2010 at 12:28 #

Looks like it’s a case of “love or hate” for this dress. I fall on the latter side–it looks like a long and see-through version of diapers!

9. nicky November 17, 2010 at 12:31 #

not a pretty look at all. the proportions are all wrong and quite frankly, this is not flatterng. well done for taking the risk and not looking trashy but her hair and makeup was awffffullll. she looks washed out…

• Rebecca November 17, 2010 at 12:41 #

I agree. The proportions are a disaster.

• nina November 17, 2010 at 16:49 #

I agree completely!

10. Alicat November 17, 2010 at 12:31 #

I really dislike jumpsuits at the best of times, but this is verging on clownsuit. Yes it is black lace with a plunging neckline, but sexy it aint…

• Vibes November 17, 2010 at 15:38 #

Amen!
      It’s quite QUITE horrifying.

11. Pablo November 17, 2010 at 12:37 #

I just love how Leighton divides the crowd! :)
    As with her Marc Jacobs look, I adore her here! I’ll always prefer a brave outfit rather than any given Sergio Rossi shoed dress! ;)

• Fashion Critic November 17, 2010 at 12:49 #

LOL…so true…It so funny how one comment say LOVE It…the next HATE it :)

Each to their own.

• artemis November 17, 2010 at 13:03 #

agree!!

12. Ben November 17, 2010 at 12:43 #

Very, very daring, but i LOVE it! BDOTW!

13. ania November 17, 2010 at 12:44 #

love it!

14. fozaaa November 17, 2010 at 12:46 #

total mess. no purpose no attitude. I can’t even hate it so ugly it is.

• Linda November 17, 2010 at 12:53 #

That’s how I feel…nothing so strong as hate, but just Oh. That’s one ugly look.

15. Victor November 17, 2010 at 13:06 #

I loooooooooove it!!

16. vers November 17, 2010 at 13:11 #

it is brave and it fits her
    but makeup is hideous and it ruins the whole look

17. Mimy November 17, 2010 at 13:13 #

love it! i think she look better than the model! BDOTW for me.

18. antoneLLina November 17, 2010 at 13:29 #

loooooooove it. i know that is not perfect (proportions, the back, etc), but i just love it. there’s something in this outfit that overlook all the imperfections. maybe is leighton nature :)

19. Alice[*] November 17, 2010 at 13:31 #

Awful.The hair and the make-up are also very very bad.

20. moja31 November 17, 2010 at 13:34 #

barely there lace in november, is hardly any better than spring florals at this time of year. sorry, but she just looks like she’s trying too hard, and that hair is a mess; once again she’s hardly looking like someone who represents a hair care brand.

21. Hermione Weasley November 17, 2010 at 13:50 #

I literally gasped when I saw this on Leighton! This is one of my favorite Spring 2011 designs of Marchesa, and I’m so happy one of my favorite girls decided to wear it *_____________* I totally love it! It’s so sexy and chic and the same time. Gorgeous!

22. Emma November 17, 2010 at 13:53 #

A very brave look, she always keeps you on your toes. I think she pulls it off and she looks pretty. But it would have been even prettier as a dress. Love the shoes!

23. Hisadora November 17, 2010 at 13:53 #

I like it so much. And she really gives us a lot of different styles on the red carpet, very interesting.

24. Zarina November 17, 2010 at 13:57 #

GORGEOUS!! adore it

25. ale November 17, 2010 at 14:03 #

You guys are so entertaining. Love/hate/love/hate and so on. I can’t help myself. ..i just LOVE IT. I think she really has the poise and the class to make it work.

26. Samm November 17, 2010 at 14:14 #

She’s brave, never know what look she’ll do on the red carpet. I like that, true fashion fan not afraid of the risk or getting hated on for the choices.

27. Shruti November 17, 2010 at 14:34 #

Really makes you think about the kind of things that pass for fashion these days. This is a ridiculous outfit any way you slice it. I saw the back on another website and it just made it worse. The hair, the make-up, the outfit are all terrible. You don’t have to look and dress like this to take a fashion risk. There’s enough creativity out there these days to avoid such disasters and still look unique.

• ale November 17, 2010 at 18:34 #

you are taking this way too serious. she just loves having fun and trying exciting new things. if marchesa is not a fashionable enough name for you…..

• moja31 November 18, 2010 at 00:16 #

equating a designer or star with “fashion” no matter what they slap their name on, is kind of the problem Shruti seemed to be getting at.

• Shruti November 18, 2010 at 07:31 #

Thanks, Moja31.

Ale – The fact that Marchesa designed it and that Leighton decided to wear it doesn’t automatically make this outfit fashionable. Not sure what you mean by taking it too seriously but you’ve obviously not understood a word of what I wrote.

28. frenchgirl November 17, 2010 at 14:35 #

I actually love it. I love the back, it’s just so sexy and Leighton pulls it off. The only thing that’s meh is the bottom of thd jumpsuit but overall she looks amazing. At least way more beautiful than the model!

29. Lisa November 17, 2010 at 14:39 #

I love this. NO-ONE could pull this off with the class that Leighton does.

30. JJovana3 November 17, 2010 at 14:49 #

This is hideous! Over done and over-styled. She doesnt seem do know how to dress herself.

She looks like she’s playing dress up in her mom’s closet.No wonder Tom Ford wont let “starlets” wear his stuff. Good for him. They tend to RUIN IT.

31. Laura November 17, 2010 at 15:08 #

From the front shot, I thought Leighton had just barely pulled off this look. But the back kills it for me. This needed to be lined.

32. Eulalia November 17, 2010 at 15:13 #

I hardly ever comment, sorry FC ;), but this look is so controversial I had to express my opinion and I’m on the Team ‘LOVE IT’! I read some comments about the back shots, found them and see no problem. It’s daring in a good way imo. BDOTW !

• Fashion Critic November 17, 2010 at 15:22 #

Don’t worry, so long as you are enjoying my site that’s all that counts :)

• Hermione Weasley November 17, 2010 at 16:34 #

I agree! It’s not vulgar at all.

33. mol November 17, 2010 at 15:18 #

I like this look on the model but Leighton is much longer through the torso and this really changes the proportions. I don’t hate it on her, but I can’t give it unqualified love either……Still, she keeps looking at ‘fashion’ interesting and that’s a huge plus for me. I wouldn’t mind seeing this on BDOTW, if only to compare it to whatever else the week coughs up….

34. Naomi November 17, 2010 at 15:41 #

I would’ve loved it much more as a dress, bit this is a really interesting look I will remember for a while.
    I adore it from the waist up.

35. dee November 17, 2010 at 15:42 #

I don’t like it. It does nothing for her.

36. Lara November 17, 2010 at 16:01 #

she such a hit and miss lately. stunning Elie Saab – hideous MJ – then cute Prabal – and now this mess

37. Hannah November 17, 2010 at 16:10 #

I actually screamed when I swa this. Leighton jsut confirms how much I adore her every time she steps out on the red carpet.
    I think, that although, yes thsi is aesthetically more winter appropriatethan a mini ress, it is much braver temperature wise, surely draping your body in essentially lace is colder than a mini.
    Stating the obvious but this is such a unique look. She doesn;t look slutty but very sexy in a subtleway.
    I would ahve changeot the runway shoes and a penant necklace ending mid-slit/neckline/plunge over the one she wore.
    Her hair isperfection, an although it i snot my favourtie, her makep is very gutsy and I like that.
    Her bag is to ie for!
    BDOTW easily for me.
    EASILY!

38. Clancy from Dallas November 17, 2010 at 18:23 #

I hate how everyone’s always complaining about how Leighton is always trying to be way to edgy just for choosing looks that other women wouldn’t be able to pull off.. especially when everyone is always praising Blakey Lively just for being able to dress herself without a stylist! I love this look and more importantly, I love that everytime I see Leighton she’s wearing a different piece of art! :)

• JJovana3 November 17, 2010 at 19:21 #

The reason why people (including me) complain about Edgy Leighton is because most of the time she cannot pull it off, and it looks very costumey on her. All her “edgy” outfits end up wearing her, such as this Marchesa number.

39. justme November 17, 2010 at 18:58 #

I usually hate EdgyLeighton but even I have to admit that she pulls this look off without looking trashy. My only problem was her make-up, it looked awful in close-ups. Other than that, I love it.

40. Coco November 17, 2010 at 19:29 #

I normally love everything Marchesa does but I hated the jumpsuits they did this season on the runway and it looks even worse on the red carpet. This is on the verge of being vulgar. All the lace/see thru combined with the deep plunge is just WAY too much for me. Not only is it ugly to look at,it’s terribly unflattering. Then you get to her washed out makeup and messy hair.TRAGIC. I think this girl looks good maybe once a year and clearly she has already had that moment for me because the past few weeks have been utter fashion fail.

• elle November 17, 2010 at 21:04 #

why so serious? really now…fashion is not a matter of life and death and if one cannot try edgy outfits just because there is the risk of being trashed…come on…she has much class and confidence. you gotta admire at least that.:)

• Coco November 17, 2010 at 21:31 #

Umm i can be as serious as I like because I SERIOUSLY hate it. She looks like she was dressed by the 3 blind mice. And I hate when people think you should be admired for being a “risk taker”. Just because you wear something “risky” doesn’t mean you are nice to look at it. In fact it gets uglier everytime I look at it.

41. devika November 17, 2010 at 19:52 #

can someone talk about her lipcolor? what shade is that? there are like 3 things trying for our attention!
    the lips, the necklace and the ROMPER! :P

42. Giuseppi November 17, 2010 at 20:27 #

I really don’t care for this look- I left jumpsuits (and rompers) behind in the early nineties, and this one especially… with the balooning legs and the everything-visible black lace; to me, this looks like a clown costume gone hoochy, although she does it better than the runway model. I can’t love it.

43. Rene November 17, 2010 at 20:53 #

I Love It, Leighton always surprise me she looks gorgeous, BDOTW!!!

44. elle November 17, 2010 at 21:07 #

i am on team leighton and can’t believe all the drama that a simple outfit can lead to. some of the comments are too personal and i am not convince it is actually about the romper thingy. they just seem mean to me.

45. karen November 17, 2010 at 22:37 #

I think she looks horribe. From the hair to the shoes. Or maybe its just Leighton herself because i cannot remember her looking good in anything other than the fabulous white Bottega dress years ago. I have thought maybe its the bad dresses she chooses but no, she managed to ruin VB beige dress months ago. And that dress is a gorgeous dress that she could not pull off.

46. asherlev1 November 17, 2010 at 22:56 #

I think the hair is throwing me off. It’s screaming for a classic ballgown to complement it, but then we get this…bodysuit. I don’t know. I kind of feel like the fit might be off a bit..?

47. Fiona November 17, 2010 at 23:30 #

I don’t like this at all, on any level, not least it is too big for her, the legs are ruched at the bottom where her legs are way shorter than the models. I am not loving the Marchesa 2011 line so much, too much frou frou and try-hard, I can see why Leighton would be attracted though as she seems intent on attracting attention at all costs.

48. Sharon November 18, 2010 at 02:11 #

Don’t like the hair, the makeup, the shoes or the costume. In fact the only thing I like is the necklace.

49. mochababe73 November 18, 2010 at 02:30 #

I hate this. I know that it’s a strong word, but I haven’t seen an outfit this ugly in a long time. Leighton is back to wearing clothes in her feeble attempt to be edgy. I do not expect her to dress like her character, Blair. As usual, she’s trying too hard. As much as I hate the jumpsuit, I would have preferred someone like Rihanna to wear it. Leighton doesn’t have “it” to carry the jumpsuit off. From the neck up, she looks as though Leighton looks as though she should be wearing a pencil skirt and blouse.

50. bb November 18, 2010 at 05:21 #

I LOVE IT

I think she’s practically the only one who can pull off this look. Rihanna maybe.

Kudos to Lei Lei

51. anna November 18, 2010 at 08:11 #

She looks like a try hard.

52. Emi November 18, 2010 at 09:43 #

First of all, she took a risk, consciously or not. Second, she looks cute, anyway. Third, evening jumpsuits, even in lace, are terribly ugly and unflattering, nonsense, too. I don’t know how the back of the jumpsuit is, I’m gonna check later. Finally, the proportions are wrong, her legs seem very short. When I was waiting the download of the photo I thought it was a dress and I thought “how beautiful” then found out that it was a jumpsuit and disliked it.

53. Ayesha November 18, 2010 at 11:44 #

LOVIN’ IT!!!!!!!!!
    BDOTW!

54. Jones19 November 18, 2010 at 15:06 #

Her makeup is atrocious here, her foundation is too dark for her skin and that creates a color difference between her face and chest. Also she has tacky tan lines on the back. Can’t forgive all of that.

55. Mariana B. Albertini November 18, 2010 at 17:19 #

Beautiful!

56. Tania November 18, 2010 at 17:58 #

Love it!

57. lua j November 21, 2010 at 23:56 #

i looks a lot better on her than on the model!!!!
    she looks amazing, the make-up, the jewelry everything go well together and leighton is a pure beauty!
    thumbs up because she has the balls to wear that jumpsuit and she’s doing it with style and class!

58. missa November 22, 2010 at 02:47 #

i first saw this outfit from the side and was absolutely adoring it.the lips the minimal make-up.it didn’t look trashy.then i realized that it was a jumpsuit of sots.eeccchh.i dnt like the lower half at all.makes even the model look stumpy.it is daring so kudos to her but she ain’t pulling it off like natalia vodianova.

59. TT January 7, 2011 at 16:13 #