Hilary Swank looked stunning at the Academy Of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences’ 2nd Annual Governors Awards in Hollywood this weekend.

The actress wore a Marchesa Spring 2011 dress.

Her strapless hand-painted black and midnight tulle dress with sculptured drape detail has been shortened from the dress which was presented.

This modification works for Hilary as her legs are her best feature.

Hilary’s artful dress was accessorized with a black satin clutch, black Christian Louboutin ‘Margot’ ankle boots and blue vintage jewels by Van Cleef & Arpels which matched her dress.

A sleek updo completed this polished look.

Credit: Getty

Cannes Film Festival 2014 – Day 5

Cannes Film Festival 2014 – Day 5

Rachel Bilson In Chanel – MOCA’s Annual Gala “The Artist’s Museum Happening”

Rachel Bilson In Chanel – MOCA’s Annual Gala “The Artist’s Museum Happening”

26 Responses to Hilary Swank In Marchesa – Academy Of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences’ 2nd Annual Governors Awards

1. michelle November 15, 2010 at 12:22 #

the modification is okay, but i really don’t like the ankle boots with the dress.

• sara November 15, 2010 at 13:35 #

i was going to say the same, in the other photos you can see it’s too much!!!they’re wonderful but not with this dress.

2. bas November 15, 2010 at 12:46 #

i agree… those boots are way too heavy.

3. Cristina November 15, 2010 at 12:50 #

Agreed. The boots are way to clunky for this. At least the runway boots have the front slit which lightens them up and makes them sexier. I find Hillary Swank gets the footwear wrong way too often.

• molly November 15, 2010 at 19:40 #

Runway shoes are more of a pump made interesting by very high sides, rather than a boot. I think she missed the point.

4. Lee Ann November 15, 2010 at 13:08 #

I would have preferred Anna della Russo in this.

5. Laura November 15, 2010 at 13:29 #

On paper, I wouldn’t think she could pull this off, but strangely she does. The only thing I’m not a fan of is the chunky shoe. A strappy would’ve been better.

• Linda November 15, 2010 at 13:58 #

Yeah, I agree with your comment. The colour is nice on her too.

6. Hisadora November 15, 2010 at 14:08 #

Love it!! She looks gorgeous and the dress is just amazing. I really like the ankle boots here :)

7. Helen November 15, 2010 at 14:42 #

I prefer the dress as it was presented.

• KateS November 16, 2010 at 03:37 #

me too. It loses some of it’s elegance in the shorter incarnation.

8. Ayesha November 15, 2010 at 14:43 #

I think she should have opted for better shoes,perhaps that had a lighter feel and not black,a nice sandal probably…..apart form that this look is pure PERFECTION!

9. dee November 15, 2010 at 15:11 #

I don’t like the shoes but everything else is great.

10. Alina November 15, 2010 at 15:15 #

I was hoping Lucy Liu would wear this.
    I don’t like this look on Hilary – hate the shoes and the dress worked better for me as it was presented.

11. Ethne Blist November 15, 2010 at 15:38 #

Fab but I’m weary about the booties,

12. Jennifer November 15, 2010 at 16:04 #

The shoes KILL this look for me. I want so badly to love it… but I hate it.

Why must the ankle boot trend live on…? Also, the ombre hair style and the black shoes with everything?

13. Naff November 15, 2010 at 16:26 #

Im sorry but i dont like this look. I think this dress is best suited for a modelesque woman or a strong ethnic looking woman. Dont get me wrong i get the sculptural and artistic aspect of the dress but i dont think hilary suits the art it portrays. I do think hilary looks beautiful but i am not convinced maybe because she looks better with glamorous gowns with old hollywood essence. Someone said Lucy Liu and i agree with that or let’s say Halle Berry or Cat Deeley.

14. Marvel November 15, 2010 at 16:29 #

The shoes kinda fail but the dress is intresting and certainly has that WOW factor

15. pipsqueak November 15, 2010 at 17:47 #

Stunning! I love Hilary. The shoes were a risky choice, but I don’t mind them. Marchesa is ultra-feminine (too much for my taste), so I appreciate a little edge and the shoes weren’t exactly a wrong choice. I think they looked much better than those boots on the model.

16. Stacey November 15, 2010 at 17:57 #

I also prefer the dress in the length it was presented. Shortening it draws too much attention to the large part of the dress on the side… and also draws even more attention to the fact that those shoes are too heavy.

• mol November 15, 2010 at 18:48 #

You’re right, it was the shortened dress that unbalanced this – couldn’t figure it out at first. But I have to say I don’t mind the shoes, they have a little ruffle on the sides, and this echoes the dress but with a calming effect somehow to the over exhuberance of ruffles above. Overall, I really don’t like this look.

• erin November 16, 2010 at 00:43 #

i agree. i think the modification is disastrous, completely ruins the dress. if they had kept the length, i don’t think the shoes would have been as much of an issue. although they’re still not great!!

17. Hannah November 15, 2010 at 18:44 #

I hate the boots, btu I really like the dress.
    It also sems that besides makign it shorter, there are less ruffles.
    Overall HIlary is more polished than the runway look, as everythign is crisper, but The boots may as well have stabbed the dres because they bring the outfit to zero for me.

18. Amber November 15, 2010 at 20:27 #

don’t like the boots. love the dress but not on hilary.

19. karen November 15, 2010 at 21:54 #

I’m not sure if i get this look at all. From the hair to the face to the earrings to the dress to the bracelet to the shoes…..i’m still confused.

20. mochababe73 November 16, 2010 at 01:26 #

Hate the ankle boots with the dress.
    I don’t really like elaborate dresses like this one. Just not my style. However, this version of the dress is better than the runway’s.
    I just can’t understand that as elaborate as this dress is why I am still bored by Hilary.