Emma Watson In Vionnet – Warner Bros Leavesden Studios Photocall

Emma Watson has been sporting a cropped hairstyle for the last few months.

Some of us immediately liked it and some of us hated it.

Her biggest challenge was to make it work on the red carpet.

Tonight in London she arrived with her co-stars Rupert Grint and Daniel Radcliffe to attend the Warner Bros Leavesden Studios photocall held at Claridges.

She opted to wear a Vionnet Fall 2010 dress.

Her midnight blue one-sleeved velvet dress doesn’t have the same chiffon layered skirt which was presented on the model.

I do like this look on Emma, but I’m not a fan of her accessories.

The necklace and earrings feel too much.

I’m not sure if she’s was over compensating because of her new hairstyle, but I would’ve preferred her to wear more subtle accessories.

I do however love the rouge lips.

Christian Louboutin Ronron pumps completed her look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

In Taylor Swift's Closet - Z Spoke by Zac Posen Metallic Halter Dress

In Taylor Swift’s Closet – Z Spoke by Zac Posen Metallic Halter Dress

In Khloe Khloe Kardashian's Closet - Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent Reversible Navajo Blanket Cardigan

In Khloe Khloe Kardashian’s Closet – Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent Reversible Navajo Blanket Cardigan

79 Responses to Emma Watson In Vionnet – Warner Bros Leavesden Studios Photocall

1. Melissa November 10, 2010 at 19:46 #

I agree with you – I think the earrings are way too much. I’m so so so excited to see all of her looks for the Harry Potter press tour and premieres!

2. sienna November 10, 2010 at 19:46 #

i`m sorry but in my opinion this look is a complete flop
    i don’t like the dress and somehow everything seems to be too much: the lips are too dark for my liking and her eyebrows are kinda strange too..
    the accessories are too much too

3. Hermione Weasley November 10, 2010 at 19:46 #

I really like the dress and the draping on the skirt, but the whole look is way too heavy for her. The make-up is too much and the accessories, as you said, are a bit too bold. Feels a bit Halloween-ish to me :/

4. Tania November 10, 2010 at 19:53 #

Just the earrings would have been enough. I do like her hair and think it works on the red carpet!

• Brooke November 10, 2010 at 21:15 #

agreed.

• mari November 11, 2010 at 02:31 #

I do too like her lookk with the earrings. just that would have been enough.

5. Hannah November 10, 2010 at 19:55 #

I REALLY hate this look.
    I hate the hair, even more so on teh red carpet than in othe rinstances. I hat eth edress on her, I hate the makeup, I do not get why she would wear this particular shade of lipstick with such a pale face, I do no tliek th elength nor deign of the necklace, and the altter applies to tehearrings too.
    She look WAY too old for her age (not mautre, OLD)
    and this is too 90′s thowback for me.
    I really do not like it.Iwould go as far to say that this is my worst dressed of theyear (although Courtney Love and Marion in the leather dior are still contenders)

6. lifeisdolce November 10, 2010 at 19:58 #

i agree with you FC, i think the jewellery is too much, but even without it i think i would dislike this look. i think she looks better with neutral make up. and i think she’s trying to push a retro look; she’s been wearing mary-janes and princess coats and berets on the pavements lately. i am therefore not looking forward to the press tour – i think she’s going to try too hard.

• laura November 10, 2010 at 20:06 #

i agree with you
      i think that she is trying too hard to be oh so stylish

• lifeisdolce November 10, 2010 at 20:14 #

completely. what made her charming before was that she could throw anything on and she did so with just enough care and not too much. now she seems to be pushing a certain “look” and it’s not working.

7. Kristen November 10, 2010 at 19:59 #

I do agree that she should have gone with either the earrings (my preference) or the necklace and not both. However, I wonder if part of the feeling of “too much” is due to the relative casualness of Dan and Rupert. They are essentially in jeans, t shirts and sneakers whereas she is in a heavy velvet dress with heavy jewelry and heavy make up. If you imagine in your head that the boys are in suits instead, her look becomes a bit less intense, I think.

• Dani November 10, 2010 at 20:49 #

Totally agree with this – the boys look like scruffs!

• Juliana November 11, 2010 at 11:31 #

But this is a photocall, they’re not supposed to be incredibly well groomed. In fact, I think her style is so shocking precisely because of the contrast. If you look back, she never looked so different in terms of styling.

And even though I don’t like the hair on her, it’s not just that. I get that she wanted to cut her hair to get rid of the Hermione look, but now she hardly looks like a 20 year-old.

8. dee November 10, 2010 at 19:59 #

I like everything. I love jewelry so I guess its doesn’t look like too much to me. Besides she needs something to dress up the black dress.

• Shawna November 10, 2010 at 20:12 #

I thought I was the odd one out! I completely agree with you. I think she looks amazing. I wouldn’t change anything about this look. I think this should be a BDOTW contender!

• Gretta November 10, 2010 at 22:09 #

I agree. Total knockout. Love the earrings.

• dee November 10, 2010 at 22:20 #

No you’re not alone. I am looking at her again and still think she looks good.

• Wendy November 10, 2010 at 23:44 #

I agree!
          She really needed something to dress up the black dress.

• GGG November 11, 2010 at 08:25 #

You’re all right – she is absolutely stunning! Head to toe gorgeous…

She is trying new things and experimenting – and she looks lovely.

I love everything about her!

• Taylor November 11, 2010 at 02:58 #

I agree, love the whole look

9. annie November 10, 2010 at 19:59 #

i;m so surprised she went for this look, the dress make her look quite broad, i love the shoes though, its accessories overkill especially with the blue cuff??????!!

10. olivia November 10, 2010 at 20:01 #

I have to agree with sienna and Hermione Weasley too, it’s just too heavy. And also I can’t get over this haircut, it just doesn’t work for me, especially in this look… :/

11. justme November 10, 2010 at 20:11 #

The accessories don’t bother me as much as the make-up. That’s a terrible foundation and that lipstick doesn’t work on her either.

12. M November 10, 2010 at 20:19 #

Do you know what her shoes are?

• lifeisdolce November 10, 2010 at 22:13 #

she’s wearing louboutin ‘ron ron’ pumps. how appropriate :D

• Fashion Critic November 10, 2010 at 22:20 #

thanks

• lifeisdolce November 10, 2010 at 22:35 #

welcome, fc [:

13. advo88 November 10, 2010 at 20:25 #

The necklace is absolutely too much but the earrings are fabulous. IMO, the best thing about a short chop is exactly to display fabulous earrings. I still remember when Sienna had the short Edie Sedgwick hair and wore those magnificent DVF Love Knot earrings.

I don’t really like the short hair on Emma, but she does carry it quite well for this occasion.

14. Ethne Blist November 10, 2010 at 20:37 #

Love the dress, makeup and earrings. Ditch the necklace and boring pumps.

• Sally November 11, 2010 at 13:43 #

Agree! She looks BEAUTIFUL!

15. Yana November 10, 2010 at 20:39 #

Carey, Ginnifer, now Emma…
    It seems like every girl with a short haircut adore Vionnet.

• Fashion Critic November 10, 2010 at 20:59 #

great point:)

16. Karen November 10, 2010 at 21:01 #

I think she look gorgeous!!
    Very chic!

17. Helen November 10, 2010 at 21:07 #

It would have been perfection without the necklace. I’m excited now for the rest of the promo tour.

18. anne November 10, 2010 at 21:33 #

I love it all. Her hair is perfect. Her makeup is perfect. I love she is trying different looks.

19. Dorian Gray November 10, 2010 at 21:34 #

I love her look but I’m questioning myself why she looks like a woman meanwhile the two still seems two high school boys?

20. Elena November 10, 2010 at 21:41 #

Horrible make-up. This shade of lipstick is definitely too dark for her and the eyebrows are just… weird. I’m not in love with the short hair either(

• Kate November 11, 2010 at 01:29 #

I agree! the lips and eyebrows do not work for some reason. I didn’t even notice the accessories because I kept focusing on her makeup

21. Stacey November 10, 2010 at 21:45 #

I think she looks great– just lose either the earrings or the necklace. FC– you wondered in your write up if maybe she was overcompensating because of the haircut. I think she is. I mean, when she first cut off her hair, one interviewer had the nerve to ask her if she “was trying to look butch.” To which she had to defend her hair and say she thought it was “rather feminine.” So I do think that she doesn’t want to be perceived as “butch” because of the short hair. (I, personally, love the hair).

• Fashion Critic November 10, 2010 at 21:52 #

I love the hair too. This kind of shows me she’s not that confident with it

• Jo Clo November 10, 2010 at 22:29 #

True. She has to stop trying so hard. Just wear what she likes, and then have a stylist looking over what she wears, to make sure she doesn’t look bad. Instead in the previews years she’s always having stylists, and you can see it isn’t her personal style.

• Marta November 11, 2010 at 01:38 #

I’ve had my hair that short twice in my life. Both times I found myself investing in bold earrings and also paying more attention to my brows and lips. Not because I was compensating or thought I looked like a boy, but because I could see the architecture of my face so much more clearly and I loved it. It’s like art, changing the frame and matting can highlight things things that would have been over looked before. Her hair is dramatically different and so should her makeup and accesories be as well. It’s not trying hard or insecurity, it’s just girly fun.
      She looks fantastic, the only change I would have made would have been the shoes.

22. Annel November 10, 2010 at 21:56 #

I think her beauty overshines her misplaced necklace. She could wear a barrel and still radiate.

23. robbie November 10, 2010 at 22:09 #

hate the jewelry and the make-up, but the hair and dress are lovely though.

• Marvel November 11, 2010 at 11:21 #

My thoughts exactly. I dont like this shade of lippie on her and dont like the jewellary.

Cant wait to see the premiere looks

• Gaber November 11, 2010 at 12:46 #

With so many folks posting about this look, it was just a matter of scrolling though posts to find a guy that loved same things I do and hated the same ones as I.
      :p

24. Rebecca November 10, 2010 at 22:10 #

keep earrings. lose necklace–doesn’t she make those young men look scruffy?

25. Jo Clo November 10, 2010 at 22:30 #

She looks like she came from the 80s. Everything is just wrong. The shoes are the only thing interesting.

26. Hisadora November 10, 2010 at 22:41 #

It is not her best look but she does look pretty. I think just the earrings could have been enough. I have to say that I LOVE her new hair. It kinda shows more her beautiful face and she looks very confident with the change!!

27. Lee Ann November 10, 2010 at 22:47 #

I’m sorry but does anyone here have boys that age.? Well I do and that is what they look like. As far as Emma whilst I wouldn’t wear the jewellery now I would if I was her age. I think she looks great except for the fact that I wish she had a tinny less make up on but wearing a crop leaves one exposed so I guess she made it up in make up.

28. Elly November 10, 2010 at 22:57 #

It feels like this could so easily have been a classic look, but rather than just a hint of 80s with one of the strong features, its big earrings,drastic hair, strong lips and velvet dress…

Instead it is So 80s and so awful…

29. Sara B. November 10, 2010 at 23:20 #

When you said you didn’t like Emma’s accessories, I thought you meant Rupert and Daniel, who look altogether scruffy.

• Fashion Critic November 10, 2010 at 23:35 #

Lol…cute ;)

30. mochababe73 November 10, 2010 at 23:30 #

I don’t think that she’s edgy enough, if that’s the right word, for the dress. I think that she should have done another shoe choice.
    The look would have been striking without the necklace and the earrings. They were not needed and took away from the total look.

31. Giuseppi November 10, 2010 at 23:38 #

oh no, I LOVE this- i think she looks great. I happen to love accessory overkill, though… so maybe it’s just me, because most everyone seems to be saying the same thing :)

• Angie November 11, 2010 at 11:06 #

Agreed.

32. Laura November 11, 2010 at 00:23 #

I think Emma is sweet but I’m sorry but she makes this look looks rather cheap and old.

33. D November 11, 2010 at 00:29 #

gorgeous!!

34. mol November 11, 2010 at 01:42 #

I think she looks just great, I especially love the lower picture, and I do like the bold makeup, it really gives her face definition. Also no prob with all the accessories, other than that scruffy lot beside her!

35. asherlev1 November 11, 2010 at 03:37 #

Lol. Everybody doesn’t like at least one part of her outfit. Hopefully with time, she’ll get better at this. :D

I’m kind of sorry to see the haircut just because she can’t necessarily wear what she used to, and I really did enjoy seeing her dressed in that fashion. Oh well.

36. GRACE November 11, 2010 at 03:41 #

I never thought I’d say this, but I really dislike this look, coming from one of my favourite stars! Everything seems too heavy for Emma, from the dark velvet to the pile of accessories, to the make-up. I hope she knows she needn’t overcompensate or change anything just because of her hairstyle.

That said, is the shoe really called Ronron? Because that’s kind of ironic, considering the name of Rupert Grint’s character in Harry Potter…

• Fashion Critic November 11, 2010 at 05:16 #

Ha yes it is

37. Liz November 11, 2010 at 03:46 #

I love the dress on her, but the makeup seems too bold for her. She’s got a very lovely, natural face. She doesn’t need that much makeup.

38. Fiona November 11, 2010 at 04:20 #

I don’t mind the jewellery and the makeup, she was criticised on Fashion Police for not wearing enough makeup with her short hair, perhaps she was watching. I think different shoes might have brought the look up to date, whereas the pumps look very 80′s with the velvet dress – a bit Addicted to Love.

39. nicky November 11, 2010 at 07:01 #

i dont love this look at all…shame because she’s adorable! im trying to love her haircut but this look is a disappointment. ages her wayy too much and the velvety material is definitely too heavy. i dont love how she accessorized or did her makeup either. she needs to wear something more playful and age- appropiate i think

40. Louisa November 11, 2010 at 07:05 #

Wow she looks stunning.

I was not initially a fan of the cropped hair because I thought it made her look a bit boyish or, even worse, ill (sorry!) but with the dramatic make up she looks beautiful!

Breathtaking! Nonetheless, not a fan of the clothes or jewellery..

41. Rach November 11, 2010 at 07:21 #

If you think Daniel and Rupert look scruffy, you need to see what Bonnie Wright wore! Although very naturally peretty, she looked like she just wandered in from popping down Tescos. Looks like Emma and her colleagues got very different memos regarding the formality of the event!

42. Eris November 11, 2010 at 08:48 #

Way to much things happening there. She never did the big jewellery thing before… I thing she did that to make up for the fact that her hair are short and might make her look less feminine. Which is really a bad move.
    Short hair need sober jewels and the dress makes the woman.
    And if the lipstick would have looked great if she had let the jewels go, with them it just makes it worse.
    Anyway, I like the fact that she is trying Vionnet. I can’t wait to see the premiere outfits. With some luck she’ll use her usual stylist (Caroline Sieber) this time.

43. Lils November 11, 2010 at 10:05 #

I hate her hait, her makeup and dress. What a complete mess. She used to be so gorgeous back to when she had longer hair and natural/nude makeup

44. JoJo November 11, 2010 at 10:45 #

I think she looks amazing! I would take away the necklace and thats it! She looks flawless. i love the look
    JoJo x

45. Angie November 11, 2010 at 11:06 #

She looks gorgeous!!
    It’s nice try something new!!
    Amazing!

46. Emi November 11, 2010 at 11:13 #

i’m not an actress but I don’t think that she chose her new cut to look good on the red carpets. I think she did it as a statement, as she told in an interview I read recently. Said that, I like the dress, I really dislike the accessories, I don’t like the color of the lipstick, too dark. I don’t know why they have that pin or something like that, but I would have put it in another place, not on the knot.

47. Sharona November 11, 2010 at 12:36 #

One word: Overdressed.

Two words: Hugely overdressed.

48. Grey November 12, 2010 at 08:52 #

FC I’m getting the feeling you’re quite biased towards Emma. This look is a complete flop and there was absolutely no need for the red lips and her Rafael look was nothing special. Mini Black dress, black pumps…yet you always seem to criticise Kristen Stewart and others for doing this. If you actually do believe in what you’ve posted, I’m beginning to doubt your expertise. Also i adored Emmas previous looks but when I see a trainwreck I don’t believe someone should praise.

• Fashion Critic November 12, 2010 at 09:08 #

Biased?

What are you talking about?

I said I liked Paris Hilton is pumps and tights yesterday I’m I biased towards her?

Sorry but your comment is ridiculous.

You are basically getting annoyed because my feelings about her looks aren’t the same as yours.

This is very childish.

If you doubt my expertise then you shouldn’t come to my website.

It really is that simple.

49. Katie November 12, 2010 at 22:00 #

She’s pretty but I’m not feeling anything. I don’t understand why everyones calling her a fashionista. I’d bet her best looks on any other girl wouldn’t have received so much press. I liked her GoF promo tour the best, the rest was nothing spectacular.

50. Katie November 12, 2010 at 22:02 #

Also I hope her Stylist does something better next time.

51. Lou November 14, 2010 at 20:17 #

I think the cropped hair and dress make her look older than her years.. not sure about this look at all

52. Christian Louboutin December 26, 2011 at 01:31 #

i agree with you
    i think that she is trying too hard to be oh so stylish.