Leighton Meester In Marc Jacobs – “Country Strong” Nashville Premiere

Oh divine goddess.

Leighton Meester and Marc Jacobs continue to be a winning combination.

The ‘Gossip Girl’ actress looked a-friggin-mazing at the “Country Strong” Nashville Premiere last night.

Every season I question how will celebrities pull off Marc Jacobs looks on the red carpet and the answer always is, “with ease.”

Her black and maroon asymmetrical crochet dress has to be one of my favourite looks from Leighton this year.

I’ve closed in on the top half of Leighton’s look and you’ll be relieved to know that it has a nude layer and she’s not going sans bra.

Maroon Salvatore Ferragamo pumps, Cathy Waterman jewels and a chic updo complete her look.

I wish she carried the runway clutch, but that’s a minor detail when everything else looks this amazing.

She will definitely be a BDOTW contender.

Credit: Style.com & Zuma Press

72 thoughts on “Leighton Meester In Marc Jacobs – “Country Strong” Nashville Premiere

1. Pablo

Yay! I totally share your excitement! I LOVE this look! At first her silver jewels bothered me with the gold pleat on the bodice, but oh well… surely forgiven with such a brave styling! Go Queen B!

2. Tamia

Damn!now THIS is a dress,she could’ve played it safe and worn something which would play up her natural beauty but she took a delcious risk,stunning!!…are you taking notes blake?

1. dressaddict

Not working for me either :( I’ve never liked those short skirts with longer mesh over them. And seen from one side it’s even weirder, because the longer skirt it’s split till the waist, wich looks like a piece of fabric wraped around her. Sorry…

3. mm

LOVE THIS, yes BDOTW. I wish she would’ve ditched those earrings though. They class with that gold metal breast plate

4. Kathy

it isn’t working for me either…
    she should’ve worn either the hot pants like on the runway or the layer of the skirt should’ve gone all the way!

5. Noora Al-Thani

ohhhhhh i’m sooo jealous!!! i can’t believe people started wearing the Marc Jacobs Spring 2011 collection .. i ADORE this collection .. pure Genius !!!

6. sara

i don’t like the dress, maybe if it the pink part finishes where the black part does…i also have to say that the top is sooo beautiful and delicate!

7. Bethany

I appreciate a daring dress. I appreciate Leighton. I appreciate that most enjoy her style more than I do. I cannot appreciate anything about this dress or Leighton wearing it.

8. Idealist

I hv 2 disagree! I love u Marc Jacobs bt ths dress is AWFUL! & trust me im a complete label whore. bt u guys cn’t tell me tht if u saw ths in a store & did not know who made it, u wud pick ths up….

9. Senna

She’s actually wearing nude nipple pasties which, at certain angles, unfortunately reflect through the crochet.

10. maria

i love this too. My only little remark – if you are going to do a longer underlay, i would have down it floorlength or kept the original panty length from the runway. God knows she has the legs for it.

11. JJovana3

She looks absolutely gorgeous. There’s a bit of edge there too with the sheer materials, yet still very feminine. Its a perfect balance. I love that the hem of the underskirt is longer and not the underwear version on the runway. Makes it look more classy.

12. Coco

This is already one of the WORST dressed of the week for me. This girl just can’t get right. The shoulder flower/bow is pretty that’s about the nicest thing I can say. The sheer paneling and gold plate on her boob I have NO words for. Just awful.

1. Gretta

I would also use the word horrendous. It looks like she’s wearing a sarong around her waist. Ugly dress.

13. Ethne Blist

This is a typical Marc Jacobs creation- something that makes sense but at the same time doesn’t. But I am totally digging this dress on Leighton. Marc can be zany but controlled- that is the design of this dress. I like the golden disc presumable covering her twin.

14. mol

I think she could have carried off the runway version – with the panties vs the skirt underlay – but i still really really love this and she is definitly a BDOTW contender for me. Gorgeous, I love her hair and the silver earrings too…

1. Fashion Critic Post author

I’m not sure it will be that simple. This is a marmite dress. It looks like people looove it or really hate it.

1. Alex

But it just has to be on a BDOTW poll. Leighton is everything but safe and dull on red carpet and so are Marc Jacobs dresses. That’s why it’s so great.

Leighton is georgous, she’s fearless and she looks perfect on this occassion.

1. Fashion Critic Post author

Oh for sure :)

She will be in the poll.

The only way to find out the how much people really love it or hate it is to take it to the polls :D

15. Emma

Gorgeous! Love this dress on her, but I think she would have pulled of the runway version. Those earrings are tdf. BDOTW for sure.

16. Camille

I know this is a love it or hate it look, and I’m firmly on the LOVE IT side. I think she looks amazing and chic and bold. I love this look on her and I could just hug her she looks so fresh and pretty.

17. Hannah

When Leighton gets it right, she gets it sooo right. Yes her and Marc are a brilliant combinatin, but I have to say this look isn’t as amazing as the Costume institute gala or Last year at the teen choice awards. Also I don’t think it is a nude panel, it looks more like a stick-on bra.

18. Sonia

I really hate this dress. I know high fashion is all about taking risks but there is too much going on in this dress and its downright ugly.

19. karen

HIDEOUS! Am I the only person who thinks this is just horrible? This is hurting my eyes. A complete eye sore.

20. Laura

This is the kind of edgy she needs to do. Edgy with the touch of girliness. It keeps her from looking goth like a certain co-star of hers.

21. mochababe73

As much as I love Mr. Jacobs, this dress is horrible. There is waaaay too much going on. It almost looks like two different dresses. The print looks like a bunch amoeba or germs under a microscope.
    The only redeeming quality of this garment is the fact that it fits her to a tee.
    Not impressed.

22. Sharon

I can’t believe how much I like this dress. It’s the exact opposite of my usual choices, but it looks fabulous on Leighton.

23. Mahima

wow you’re getting a lot of feed back on this.
    honestly its amazing. she looks great, but yes it is a little out there but it works.

1. Fashion Critic Post author

I know. I normally only get this many comments on one post during awards season :)

But that just goes to show how passionately – either for or against – people feel about this dress.

1. Pablo

Oh wow! Having loved this look so much, I would’ve never imagined it would be so controversial! :)
        As you say, FC, we your readers are really passionate about fashion! Lets see what happens with the poll… :)

24. Jimmy

I just don’t see what anyone likes about this look. She looks beautiful but the dress looks like a home sewing project gone wrong. Would someone please explain to me what it is I am missing. I would really like to know what it is that makes so many think is should be a BDOTW.

25. currygirl

I can’t get into this dress at all…the gold breast cymbal and the undergarments are throwing me off! I usually like what she wears (I LOVED the dusty blue Elie Saab she wore!), but this one is too cray cray for me. Sorry Leighton.

26. Sue Jin

I really like it! HEr makeup looks flawless. shes so beautiful!
    The earrings don’t match but they are really pretty.

27. mikeijames

call me prude, but i am scandalized by the sheer parts of this dress!!!! i love the dress, but it’s quite suggestive for our prim blair waldorf.

i’d have loved a shorter skirt length so we could see those ferragamos.

28. Missy

FC, did you see Leighton’s shoot for Vera Wang? She looked SOOOOOO beautiful! Keeping my fingers crossed that you will feature that :)

29. Fee

I just had to check out the comments on this post as I knew they would be divided :)

I’m on the negative side, sorry – doesn’t do it for me at all