Hilary Swank In Atelier Versace – 2010 Glamour Women of the Year Awards

One of my favourite Atelier Versace gowns finally appeared on the red carpet at the 2010 Glamour Women of the Year Awards, which took place at Carnegie Hall in New York City last night.

I always hoped to see this silk Atelier Versace pewter-coloured gown with a caged golden bodice on Gisele Bundchen, but Hilary does look good in the gown.

The creases are nagging me though. I tried to ignore them but I can’t.

I’m tempted to say something is missing because I’m not feeling the wow factor I assumed I would when this gown hit the red carpet, but a gown with this much detail should stand alone.

A Judith Leiber clutch completes her look.

Credit: Versace.com & Getty

Leighton Meester In Marc Jacobs – “Country Strong” Nashville Premiere

Leighton Meester In Marc Jacobs – “Country Strong” Nashville Premiere

In Lea Michele’s Closet – Erdem Marlene Ruffle Front Dress

In Lea Michele’s Closet – Erdem Marlene Ruffle Front Dress

28 Responses to Hilary Swank In Atelier Versace – 2010 Glamour Women of the Year Awards

1. Angie November 9, 2010 at 15:04 #

Her hair is … meh ….

2. mm November 9, 2010 at 15:07 #

The fit is perfect. She soften the look with the curls. I think maybe her hair pulled bag would added some fierceness to the look. I am not sure how you can get that gown to an event without wrinkles. She would have to not sit especially if it is 100% silk.

• Shruti November 9, 2010 at 16:09 #

I agree. Photoshoots are different and a lot of effort goes into making the gown look absolutely perfect. With that material, it is impossible to not get it all wrinkly once you sit. The smoother finish does add to the appeal of the gown on the model though. Also the tall and somewhat rounder frame of the model along with that dramatic hair makes the whole look a lot more appealing on her. Hillary looks beautiful but the issue is that with the two photographs side by side like that the drama that is lacking in Hillary’s look becomes more obvious. More teased hair and maybe a different hair colour would have helped. As is, her hair seems a little flat and sort of matches with the piping on the dress which doesn’t work. It’s an absolutely stunning dress though that does more than enough justice to the event. She does look lovely and her figure is perfect as always.

3. Dorian Gray November 9, 2010 at 15:13 #

Amazing dress but, just like you FC, I hoped to see it on a model.

4. Marvel November 9, 2010 at 15:18 #

I think someone who is naturally more curvier would have done this gown more justice. Plus her hair is really boring and repetitive.
    Beyonce, J-Lo, they would have made it work

5. Anissa November 9, 2010 at 15:18 #

I’m not sure what it is but she’s making this great dress seem bland and almost bridesmaid like…pity.

6. Vidhya November 9, 2010 at 15:19 #

maybe it needed a caged twisted metal neckpiece.. the clutch doesnt go with the dress..

7. Pati November 9, 2010 at 15:19 #

I don´t know how tall she is, but I kind of wish somebody taller had worn it … Apart from that, I do think she looks great, although I´m not crazy with the clutch…

8. maria November 9, 2010 at 15:26 #

i feel that the dress is not fitted right in the bust area.

• Fiona November 9, 2010 at 23:42 #

I agree – she has a long body and the bodice seems to fit too low, there is a large expanse of chest area above the dress, and it looks too square as she has very broad shoulders. She tamed the dress down and made it look a little boring unfortunately. Creases are a problem, but stylists should anticipate that, we’ve seen a lot of crinkled satin lately.

9. JJovana3 November 9, 2010 at 15:33 #

Too old for that dress. Sorry Hilary. Bodice is made for someone younger and taller.

10. Ethne Blist November 9, 2010 at 15:45 #

I don’t like the design in the first place. None of this disaster is Hilary’s fault- maybe her stylist’s choice of the dress and Hilary agreeing to wear it. I do like the wavy ends of her hair though.

11. dee November 9, 2010 at 16:28 #

I don’t like this dress on her. her hair isn’t doing her any favors either.

12. Alfie November 9, 2010 at 16:50 #

I appreciate the gown more on Hilary than on the model since we focus more on the bodice, but something still lacks.

I really wish Beyonce would have worn this gown with some killer accessories.

13. Camille November 9, 2010 at 17:01 #

This is a bombshell dress and Hilary just isn’t bringing it. Her hair doesn’t scream bombshell, it whimpers wispy curls. She needed to amp up herself up to the factor of sex to sell this dress. I’d love to see Giselle or some other lanky sex goddess wear this dress because it is a beautiful gown.

14. Carolina November 9, 2010 at 17:16 #

Wow, you’re so right FC, this dress screams Gisele. Only she could work it.

15. Hannah November 9, 2010 at 17:39 #

The creases do notbother me half as much as when they are on a simple gown, and I do not think the dress is missing anything, but Hilary does not look right in it.She needed to work the hell out of it, and the centre-part is killing me. Hair back and earrings, or a bracelet and/or a statement ring would have enhanced the dress, given that they wre the right ring/bracelet.

16. D November 9, 2010 at 17:58 #

love this dress!!

wondering what it would be like with a different type of make up……

17. Lee Ann November 9, 2010 at 18:14 #

Giselle yes! Hilary no. She looks like mutton dressed as lamb which is a bit odd as she isn’t that much older than Giselle. It just doesn’t work on her. Like seeing one’s butch sister in fishnets or something.

18. karen November 9, 2010 at 19:20 #

Hillary has a good body so again I don’t know why this does not look right on her. For some reason, she can never pull anything off in my opionion. I just can’t put my finger on it or whatever it is. Hmmm……

19. Rebecca November 9, 2010 at 19:36 #

She is long-waisted and has relatively short legs–I think this is often the problem with how she looks in the dresses she selects–too much torso, not enough leg.

20. mochababe73 November 9, 2010 at 19:42 #

It’s not the dress. The dress is fabulous.
    It’s Hilary. She’s boring and sooooo vanilla. I agree that someone with more va-va-va-voom should have worn it.

21. Laura November 9, 2010 at 20:08 #

I think what’s missing is attitude. If Hilary worked it like say Blake Lively would, the dress would be more fierce. A smile like that isn’t made for a dress like this.

• mari November 10, 2010 at 01:56 #

I agree, this dress needs a diva-is attitude, or someone more exotic. something in the dress reminds me of C. Aguilera in a beautiful pinkish versace, she looked incredible ina great dress. And here is Hilary in an incredible dress, witha great body and that’s it… she did not own it somehow

22. aiyu November 10, 2010 at 04:09 #

There’s always something missing with Hilary Swank…hmm…

23. Sparky November 10, 2010 at 10:23 #

What’s missing here is sex appeal. Hilary Swank is beautiful but she has none of it. Even if she’d stood a bit more cockily with her hip out to the side it would’ve worked better. Great body, great dress, but a bit of a snore.

24. Bárbara November 10, 2010 at 11:03 #

On the model the gown looks amazing, but on hilary it loses its appeal and it looks – dare i say it- kind of cheap.

25. Dysfashional November 11, 2010 at 00:57 #

I’ve been tweeting about this ongoing issue about fabric choices for the red carpet all week. This is a fashion fail that could have easily been avoided if her stylist (if she booked one) was detail oriented. He/she should have foreseen the wrinkle issue. If there wasn’t a stylist I blame her publicist.