30.09.10

Victoria Beckham Spring 2011

Many of you have asked for my thoughts on Victoria Beckham’s Spring 2011 collection and I’ve resisted for 2 reasons.

Firstly, I’ve only been reviewing shows I have attended and secondly I really disliked the collection and I don’t like giving bad reviews.

It took me 3 attempts to go through the collection on Style.com because I was so bored by what I saw.

The first time I only got to look 4 before I clicked off the site because I was so bored.

The second time I got to look 16 before doing the same thing. The third time I got to look 26 because by this time I was interested to see what the fuss was about.

Sorry to break it to you, but the only thing I liked about this collection was the rose gold Brian Atwood heels and her new range of bags.

I wish she’d consider designing for someone other than herself.

Some of the pieces looked quite sloppy and poorly constructed.

This is the only collection Victoria has presented that I wouldn’t want a single piece in my closet.

I also found her statement about celebrating curves laughable and the make-up was horrific.

Elisabetta Rosboch von Wolkenstein Weds Prince Amedeo of Belgium In Valentino Couture

Roberto Cavalli’s 40th Anniversary Party – Leona Lewis In Roberto Cavalli

Roberto Cavalli’s 40th Anniversary Party – Leona Lewis In Roberto Cavalli

45 Responses to Victoria Beckham Spring 2011

1. nokia September 30, 2010 at 21:16 #

Thanks FC :)

if u have to choose 2 of the best dresses from this collection, which ones?

I kinda dissapointed with her, because she totally copied alaia’s skirt on the white dress. what do u think?

2. amers September 30, 2010 at 21:22 #

i totally agree with u.

i love VB’s style just as u did and i love every other collection, but this one it’s just not gd :(

3. Tania September 30, 2010 at 21:29 #

Do not like it either, don’t want any dresses from this collection!

4. Mario September 30, 2010 at 21:37 #

Oh god, finally someone that agrees with me! I’ve been having many disagreements with the other members on thefashionspot.com, who were claiming that the collection was the best ever shown by Victoria Beckham.
    That is definitely not true. The collection was really bad, and I am sorry to say this but I truly despised it. The shapes, the colors, the styling.. it was all just a big mess. I wonder which pieces Posh is going to wear. It’ll be a circus.

5. Moxie September 30, 2010 at 21:39 #

In addition to the one FC reluctantly picked out, this one – http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/S2011RTW-VBECKHAM?event=show2182&designer=design_house1894&trend=&iphoto=11#slide=14

and this one – http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/S2011RTW-VBECKHAM?event=show2182&designer=design_house1894&trend=&iphoto=11#slide=23

aren’t bad. The rest are a mess.

I really don’t like the rounded seam many of the dresses have. Not at all flattering if you have even the slightest pooch. It is like a big bullseye pointing at your tummy.

• Ethne Blist September 30, 2010 at 21:49 #

I agree. No matter who wears her clothes, I think VB’s clothes are not for curvecous women, which happen to make up a huge population of females i the world.

6. Hannah September 30, 2010 at 21:45 #

I tihnk she tried wayy too hard andlsot everything she had goign for her. She may as well stick to waht she knows, or at least to ahve stuck to osme of waht she knows. I don’t know what happened to her. She suddenly stopped being fabulous, she dresses boringly now, she is never seen anywhere, her collection is dull, with heinous makeup. I honestly don’t hate the dresses, but I prefer what they sell in Zara. The show had no coherency and no pow. I just feel that all the designers I was counting on the msot have let me down, Victoria beign a great example of that.

• Mimy October 1, 2010 at 02:28 #

i think LA happen? i wish she’d move back to London!!

7. robbie September 30, 2010 at 21:54 #

does she actually “design” any of this stuff, or is this just something she puts her name to? anyway every collection is the same pieces, it just seems like copies of other designers. especially roland mouret.

• mm September 30, 2010 at 22:08 #

I was wondering that also, i feel like i read Roland Mouret was the ghost designer of the last collection. But that could be totally false.

8. JJovana3 September 30, 2010 at 22:42 #

Completely agree. Who is she kidding about “curvacious” women? Her clothes are so tight and body conscious, they make skinny gals look bigger than they are. She copies many designers. Its no wonder only celebrities wear her stuff, since most celebrities, IMO, are tacky and dont know how to dress.

9. mochababe73 September 30, 2010 at 22:55 #

As a fellow curvy woman, I can’t wear any of those dresses. The last thing that I need is a dress that makes me look hippier.
    The handbags were beautiful but not practical. The top handles should be a little longer.

10. Naomi September 30, 2010 at 22:58 #

I was puzzled by this collection as well. In a lot of the looks it seems the fabric choices are wrong for the design, which results in bad execution.
    The “celebrating curves” remark amused me as well. Unless you have a perfect body you might as well go naked than wear parachute silk, and I didn’t think it looked good even on the models.

11. Elaine September 30, 2010 at 23:41 #

so disappointed by this collection – i would give my right arm for many of the dresses in her previous collection but I would be reluctant to wear any of these.
    Bland, Boring and Poorly Constructed are words that come to mind.
    what a let down

12. Marvel September 30, 2010 at 23:47 #

I was bored by the look but I do have an eye on one piece. Ill see how much she retails it for and then decide if I want it

• Fashion Critic October 1, 2010 at 07:25 #

Which one?

• nokia October 1, 2010 at 10:59 #

Random questions, do u see any celebrities going to wear this collection since rachel zoe and others said good things bout it eventhough we are disappointed with this collection?? maybe diaz, demi moore??

• Fashion Critic October 1, 2010 at 11:25 #

Celebs will still wear it especially those you just mentioned

• Marvel October 2, 2010 at 17:07 #

Look 13 did it for me as I love that Salmon colour.

• Lee Ann October 2, 2010 at 10:48 #

Marvel I don’ t think you will get much change from 1200£ .
      The thing that struck me most was sloppy tailoring/fit, hideous make up and she had a top make up artist so I can’t understand that- and mostly how hideous the models were.

• Marvel October 2, 2010 at 17:08 #

Thanks for that info and the info you provided me a couple of weeks ago regarding another VB dress. I recently purchased a dress and as of yet nothing has gone wrong.

• LeeAnn October 2, 2010 at 20:00 #

enjoy wearing it. am contemplating look number 6 (i think thats the look) because I so much want a pale pink dress so I have asked Selfridges to get it. I hope the tailoring is better in person.

13. moja31 September 30, 2010 at 23:59 #

when i first saw the photos online a little while back i was definitely disappointed, but looking at the photos above it’s not quite as bad as i remember. but i was far from in love with it; definitely not up to the level of some of her previous work.

14. kimi October 1, 2010 at 00:13 #

I can’t agree more with you. I wish she design out of her comfort zone and take chances. also be more daring and stop playing safe, and going for inspiration from her favorite designers…it might become downright ‘copying/plagiarizing.

Though I did like some of the colors she used on the dress. If only it wasn’t so bland. .

15. Tanize October 1, 2010 at 01:33 #

It’s the same design all over the collection… Zzzz….

Ah! FC, I’d like to read your thoughts on Carlos Miele collection.

16. FelipeA October 1, 2010 at 01:38 #

This collection was terrible. I’ve enjoyed all of her other colections, so i was very disappointed. The weirdest thing about this entire collection is that i really can’t see VB wearing any of this. i don’t know what she was thinking.

17. Christine October 1, 2010 at 01:51 #

I was put off by this collection. I think it is because it was such a deviation from her previous collections which were really structured, something I am a big fan of. I try to be open-minded about things but I think VB really failed the collection’s presentation. I didn’t see anything wrong about the structures of her previous collections, so I felt she should have stuck with it IMO. I tried really hard to even think it was an okay collection. I was more excited about the bag collection than the dresses. I wonder what she’ll do for her next collection.

18. Mimy October 1, 2010 at 02:33 #

i’m a huge fan of hers and i too feel that this collection is boring. very disappointing!!

19. Vidhya October 1, 2010 at 04:28 #

The reverse curve on the waist is what is killing these clothes.. it makes ur boobs look saggy and with no definite waist.. NO WOMAN wants that look ..

20. Ev October 1, 2010 at 06:48 #

I just cant see any idea behind this collection, any inspiration. All those looks seem so random. Except for body-con dresses, other pieces are shapeless which never was VB’s trademark.
    The “celebrating curves” thing is just ridiculous and sad. What did she mean by curves? Size 2 instead of skinny 0?

21. AL GIGA October 1, 2010 at 07:36 #

I AGREE WITH YOU TOTALY!!!!!!
    TRAJIC!!!!!!

22. wilwarin October 1, 2010 at 10:25 #

i never was crazy about VB fashion line, and this one makes me yawn… and her celebrating curves it’s like the joke of the year…

23. katlyn October 1, 2010 at 12:41 #

she has been getting loads of positive reviews for htis collection and i dunno i sort of really loved some of the dresses in this new collection especially the white dress .her collection is so much better than some of the other collections dat have been seen dis season.wishing more success to come to her

24. harris October 1, 2010 at 14:34 #

i have to disagree. okay so maybe the collection is not quite as “fashion forward” as the spring collections from other top designers, but i think they are very wearable for real people. i think that is what the point of her collection was is to have timeless, not trendy, pieces.

• jen October 1, 2010 at 15:01 #

if it all was for real people, then it should cost as much as it looks for , idk 29.99$ maybe? because. as a “real” person i would want smth a bit better if i pay couple of thousand dollars for it :)

25. jen October 1, 2010 at 14:44 #

100% agree. i d been looking worward to seeing her collection & i was so dissapointed with it. most of the dresses on top of looking hideous looked really cheap. i think look 23 is only one decent piece from the whole collection.

26. jen October 1, 2010 at 15:30 #

ok, fc, i promise this is the last one lol! about being let down. have u attended/looked thru balmain’s collection? i was really dissapointed & bored by it cuz it looked like isabel marant’s fall 2010 left overs & no signature edgy dresses

• Fashion Critic October 1, 2010 at 16:04 #

I saw a bit of Balmain and it was just the same as every other collection. Very samey. Seen it all before.

• JJovana3 October 1, 2010 at 17:12 #

He’s a one note designer. This collection is nothing but bedazzled Express doing Rock&Republic for out-of-this world prices. Im so over Balmain.

27. Elena October 1, 2010 at 19:26 #

As I am a big fan of VB it’s very hard for me to say that….but I agree.. I totally agree with you, boring, dispaointing and always the same!!!

28. Fashion Interlude October 4, 2010 at 00:17 #

disappointed but still hopeful.

i liked the bags, thought the models were fugly.

this is possibly my favourite dress: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/S2011RTW-VBECKHAM?event=show2182&designer=design_house1894&trend=&iphoto=11#slide=3

29. L.A September 22, 2011 at 00:52 #

Finally, I often feel her collections are purely overated. Always the same soup warmed over…with the pricing completely outrageous.And the mindless celebrities pouring into her dresses like it was the second coming of christ.Even here some were terribly sorry to have to say the collection was a failure…but why why be afraid to say so?