I’m sorry to be so frank, but at the official launch of the Shoe Galleries At Selfridges in London yesterday Gemma looked ridiculous.

She opted to wear a navy Balmain tweed military jacket with cropped leather Isabel Marant pants which are both from the Fall 2010 collections.

The jacket looks costumey and the leather cropped pants look at least 2 sizes too small.

After wowing us the last few weeks with simple classic looks, this comes off ‘try hard’.

The only good think about her look is her Christian Louboutin pigalle heels.

Are you sharing my disapproval of this look or to you like it?

Credit: Style.com & Rex

In Gemma Arterton's Closet - Balmain Tweed Military Jacket

In Gemma Arterton’s Closet – Balmain Tweed Military Jacket

“Iconoclasts” TV Series Season 5 Launch Party – Julianne Moore In Dries Van Noten

31 Responses to Launch Of The Shoe Galleries At Selfridges – Gemma Arterton In Balmain & Isabel Marant

1. kim September 24, 2010 at 14:05 #

i agree, but i do not dislike the pants, i think they look good if they are worn tight. VB wore the same pants last week in NY and she looked fab.

2. Monkey September 24, 2010 at 14:10 #

I hope it’s just her pose.

3. june September 24, 2010 at 14:24 #

a look like this requires attitude in spades – kate moss would have pulled it off. rhianna would have pulled it off. the uninspiring hair and the makeup which seems half a shade too light does her no favours. in an outfit like this, you should pose like you mean it. then she might have sold me on it.

4. anonymous September 24, 2010 at 14:41 #

agree, looks very weird on her. shame as she is such a pretty girl with a gorgeous body. the trousers do fit but are just an impossible length and the jacket is ridiculous on the model as it is on her. tired of shoulder pads as well by now – plus nothing scares my boyfriend more i think :) shoes are nice but louboutin’s getting a bit yaawn now as well plus seriously ALL the high end hookers in london seem to wear them. and seriously, once the outnet’s selling it it’s surely not that great anymore

• Elaine September 24, 2010 at 16:01 #

agree re your opinion of the jacket and trousers biut disagree re the outnet – they are pretty on top of their game for a discount site.

5. pascha September 24, 2010 at 14:45 #

I love it when Gemma keeps to her simple/elegant/effortless style. Here she looks like she’s auditioning for a tacky girl group. It’s too bad she didn’t wear the Narciso dress Claire Daines wore underneath this post.

Her make up and hair looks lovely as usual though!

6. bollywoodmoviefashion September 24, 2010 at 15:14 #

hello Fashion critic, Great job i love your blog and i love coming here regularly, i agree with you this look isn’t all that, she should have gone for the red version of the cropped Isabel marant pants instead

Overall a true case of ‘It costs a lot of money to look this cheap’

• Fashion Critic September 24, 2010 at 17:15 #

Perfectly summed up

7. Hellwafashion September 24, 2010 at 15:34 #

I don’t really like it & think the focus should have remained on the jacket, but I kinda feel like she hasn’t found her style groove yet, I quite like how she always looks different & isn’t afraid to try things,sometimes she gets it very right, sometimes very wrong.

8. mol September 24, 2010 at 15:39 #

Dead on review, couldn’t agree more, she looks ridiculous.

9. Stacey September 24, 2010 at 15:44 #

She just doesn’t strike me as a “Balmain” kind of girl. Attitude required.

10. nicky September 24, 2010 at 15:47 #

i think she looked better in some other photos but nonethless i do agree about how this isnt her style. the simple yet sohpisticated look is more her

11. Leslie September 24, 2010 at 15:48 #

I agree. She’s usually very simple in her choice of clothes and make up but here… red lips + military jacket + leather pants = too much !
    It’s not her.

And I think the 2 runway looks are too heavy as well.

12. dee September 24, 2010 at 15:51 #

She’s looked better.

13. Hisadora September 24, 2010 at 15:59 #

I hate the pants here too. Simple jeans could have worked so much better.. the pigalle heels are just ok because she could have chose better. I really dislike her shoulders in that jacket. On the model it looks more “low”

14. Marvel September 24, 2010 at 16:07 #

I really hope she redeems herself on the next red carpet outing

15. dressaddict September 24, 2010 at 16:09 #

Totally ridiculous:(

16. Hannah September 24, 2010 at 16:17 #

She is clearly trying to be Emanuelle Alt and she clearly has failed.

17. kit September 24, 2010 at 16:32 #

I don’t like it, it’s an easily glossed over outfit. My problem is that the top half and bottom half look completely separate, there’s nothing tying it all together. Oh and agree, with the other commenter about having attitude in spades to pull something like this off, and she doesn’t seem like she does.

18. Lisa September 24, 2010 at 16:51 #

I just have a thing against wearing black with this shade of blue. Doesn’t work at all for me. She should have been even braver and gone for red pants like the model.

19. edoardo September 24, 2010 at 17:19 #

HEr legs look so “big” and heavy…obscene!

20. Hannah September 24, 2010 at 17:57 #

Has anyone else realised you can see theoutlines of the pockets on the trousers. Also why wear black Louboutin pumps to a shoe lounge opening?

21. Lee Ann September 24, 2010 at 18:20 #

It could have been worse. she could have worn red leather trousers . Does she own a mirror?

22. Ev September 24, 2010 at 18:55 #

I loved her simple elegant looks before, but even though I am not completely sold on this look, I don’t think that she looks THAT bad. Maybe her pants should’ve been a size bigger, but that’s about it. I am glad she didn’t wear the runway red pants :)

23. Kimi September 25, 2010 at 01:17 #

I know she’s experimenting. How she went glam and then minimalist, so she’s at least predictable. But for this occasion, she should of worn some black regular pants or something. Let the jacket do all the talking.

• Kimi September 25, 2010 at 01:18 #

….unpredictable I mean. not predictable. haha.

24. mikeijames September 25, 2010 at 14:32 #

of all the balmain jackets in all the world, why did she choose that one to match with those pants? the trademark balmain tux jacket would’ve done fine in a pinch.

25. Emi September 25, 2010 at 14:58 #

Was she drunk when she chose this outfit? The pants wouldn’t be so bad but we can see the signs of the pockets… The size of the jacket is ridiculous, what happened to the shoulders? It looks so different from the runaway.

26. mochababe73 September 25, 2010 at 20:45 #

The runway version of the pants are slouchy so I don’t really know why she’s wearing them so tight. Then she pairs it with a plain white t-shirt and pointy shouldered jacket. Heinous!

• Alicat September 26, 2010 at 06:59 #

I agree that the plain white t-shirt goes a long way to ruining this outfit (apart from the tightness of the leather pants). Because it peeps out below the jacket, it causes a disconnection in the overall look. This is a very edgy style which is why the model looks better with the leather pants worn slouchy and on the hips. A chain-store style white t-shirt more akin to a man’s underwear destroys what she is trying to achieve and as FC says, makes her look “try hard” with no understanding of what she’s doing.

27. Lou September 26, 2010 at 23:37 #

Oh my, Adam Ant is looking well these days…