The 2010 Toronto Film Festival is still going strong and I continue to be impressed by the ladies walking the red carpet at this festival.

Tonight Malin Akerman looked sensational at the premiere of “The Bang Bang Club.”

I often wondered how this dress would work on the red carpet.

I worried how someone could pull off that waxy looking material, the fish-tail hem and the haltered neckline.

Malin does so with ease.

The material actually reflects really well on the red carpet under the flash photography.

With a smile that would light up any room and slick back hair this is a strong contender for BDOTW in my eyes.

What say you?

Credit: NYmag.com & Getty

"The Town" Boston Premiere - Blake Lively In Antonio Berardi

“The Town” Boston Premiere – Blake Lively In Antonio Berardi

"The Kid" London Premiere - Kylie Minogue In Gucci

“The Kid” London Premiere – Kylie Minogue In Gucci

19 Responses to 2010 Toronto Film Festival – “The Bang Bang Club” Premiere – Malin Akerman In J. Mendel

1. Ala September 16, 2010 at 04:24 #

I don’t know… the bottom half (from the hips down) looks sensational… but the top half looks a bit – boxy? something about the proportions of it is kind of off and it makes her shoulders look bigger than they are.

Her beautiful smile, all over glow, and nicely done (but not over done) makeup are definitely working in her favor!

• healy September 16, 2010 at 09:47 #

yeah you are right. . She glows but there is missing.!

2. Laura September 16, 2010 at 06:24 #

I was really worried about the shine of the dress, but Malin handles that like a champ. The only thing I’m not 100% sold on is the mermaid hem. Unless you’re 6 feet tall that hem won’t always work on you. I’m still deciding if I like it here. But other than that it’s a fantastic look and Malin styled it appropriately.

3. kiwi September 16, 2010 at 07:29 #

Full marks to Malin for making it work so well.. but I still don’t love the dress

4. Ferferi in Paris September 16, 2010 at 10:23 #

Malin är alltid så jäkla snygg- Go Malin!!! She and Noomi. Swedish and stylish.

5. molly September 16, 2010 at 10:40 #

I totally agree, Ala. The top half is not flattering. The halter makes her look quite broad-shouldered (this pose isn’t helping) and it looks to me like the bodice is so tight that it is flattening her chest like a bad sports bra. But what amazing material and color! And Malin, always gorgeous.

• Hannah September 16, 2010 at 18:55 #

The pso eis absolutely nto helping. When Isaw this I thought she looked like an olympic swimmer. She did well to pull off the look, but I am not in love. Many, many other dresses would have looked better.

6. Naomi September 16, 2010 at 10:42 #

I’m not crazy about this dress and how it looks on her. On such a strong week I think there were plenty other BDOTW contenders.

7. sara September 16, 2010 at 11:25 #

very interesting dress,better than runway version!

8. Anna September 16, 2010 at 12:24 #

Is there even any point in having BDOTW when really Cate Blanchett is BDOTY!!!

• Fashion Critic September 16, 2010 at 12:33 #

no, but lets do one anyway for fun.

9. DM September 16, 2010 at 12:40 #

The fabric, color and cut make this dress look like a glass of wine. However, I prefer it on the model- Malin’s pose and her stronger arms are not looking as good on the dress as the model, in my opinion. Very striking look, though. I am impressed with her choice.

10. Marvel September 16, 2010 at 12:47 #

I LOVE this dress and Im glad Malin does it justice, She looks great but I agree with Anna. Is there really a need for a BDOTW poll? :)

11. Lukey September 16, 2010 at 14:51 #

Her jewerly was stunning as so is she!!!

12. Sara B. September 16, 2010 at 18:30 #

Stunning dress. Beautiful woman. BUT. The fit on the bodice is weird and unflattering; it reminds me of a compression swimsuit that serious swimmers wear. This is not one of my picks for BDOTW.

• mol September 17, 2010 at 05:45 #

Exactly – she looks like a swimmer, several too many ‘lat’ pull downs at the gym….

13. mochababe73 September 17, 2010 at 02:53 #

For some reason, I picture someone more statuesque like Iman wearing this dress. I don’t like it on her.
    I don’t think that this should be in the running.

14. tiffany September 17, 2010 at 03:57 #

YES YES YES…this is perfection!!!! I wanna see the back!

15. Patricia September 17, 2010 at 17:57 #

I like this dress much better on Malin than on the model. That’s a complete reversal of my usual reaction to red carpet dresses. Overall this dress photographed well from all angles on Malin. She’s a small chested woman but somhow this dress made her look voluputous. And this pose is one of a confident woman. I like that part the best. Strong arms are in, thank the gods.