13.09.10

2010 MTV VMAs – Lady GaGa In Giorgio Armani & Franc Fernandez

Lady Gaga gave us two very interesting looks on stage at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards last night.

She collected one of her many awards wearing a custom-made Giorgio Armani gown.

The black leather bustier gown with a plunging neckline has a full skirt which took over the stage.

Another spiked hat completed the look.

Lady Gaga accepted her ‘Video of the Year Award’ from Cher wearing meat dress designed by Franc Fernandez.

It’s creepy and amazing at the same time, but I know what I won’t be eating today.

Credit: Sketch Courtesy of Giorgio Armani & Getty

2010 MTV VMAs Round Up

2010 MTV VMAs Round Up

Derek Lam Spring 2011

Derek Lam Spring 2011

38 Responses to 2010 MTV VMAs – Lady GaGa In Giorgio Armani & Franc Fernandez

1. Z Fashion Blog September 13, 2010 at 12:30 #

For me Gaga was the only interestingly dressed star at the VMAs.

But who could compete with her?!

I adored her McQueen look, but wasn’t so keen on the Armani one.

The meat dress is a different story.
    I think it’s more of a publicity stunt than a fashion statement.

It looks creapy but is of course very original.

• mm September 13, 2010 at 12:58 #

Gaga will not be out done for sure! She is in her own category, I think she deserved the video of the year award. In the meat dress, I instantly thought of how meat smells if not properly handled, very stinky!

2. Almaha September 13, 2010 at 12:37 #

Seriously she is just a horrible person…. how can someone wear a dress made out of meat…. This not fashion…. this is simply rubbish…..

• Naomi September 13, 2010 at 13:30 #

If you scroll up a bit, Gaga is wearing a dress made of leather, and no one is shocked about that.
      Leather is also a part of an animal some people tend to wear, only we’ve gotten used to it.
      All Gaga did was go one layer deeper and give us some food for thought. Literally.

• Grégory De Vos September 13, 2010 at 15:03 #

No one is shocked about leather because it’s not supposed to be eaten, meat is…

• Naomi September 13, 2010 at 15:24 #

So? Edible cloths or cloths that have food glued to them are nothing new.
          Your missing the point – A lot of people are horrified by the dress, and talk about cruelty to animals. I’m just asking – What’s new about that?
          Leather, fur, skin, bones – That’s fashion.
          Meat – God forbid, that should be on our plate.

• Almaha September 13, 2010 at 15:13 #

I’m not talking about the environment or anything about animal, personally I don’t care about animal they’re for us to use thoughtfully. What I’m talking about is that how in the world she call herself a fashion icon, this is disgusting. Seriously, she has the hounder of wearing Armani’s collection she chose meat to wear!!

• mol September 13, 2010 at 16:26 #

I really appreciate your comments Naomi, and do think Gaga is giving us, as you say, some food for thought….

• Naomi September 13, 2010 at 22:07 #

Thanks, mol. Though I don’t necessarily agree with Gaga’s vague explanation of her dress, I do appreciate her approach to fashion and her use of it.

3. Mahima September 13, 2010 at 12:45 #

the meat dress doesn’t do anything for her legs.
    they look a bit chunky in it, but the black Armani looks amazing.

4. Marvel September 13, 2010 at 13:04 #

I think she looks decent in the Armani but she cant be serious with that wig?!?!?!

5. S September 13, 2010 at 13:26 #

OK the meat dress is unflattering and very creepy. I especially find it so because I am a vegetarian.

6. nat September 13, 2010 at 13:43 #

I’m waiting for PETA’s reaction…

7. Believe September 13, 2010 at 13:46 #

Surely there needs to be an FC homage to Cher… wearing the same outfit 21 years later and flooring the competition!

8. Can September 13, 2010 at 13:54 #

Does anyone find it a bit ridiculous that designers would sooner dress someone Lady Gaga’s size in a dress made of meat than design for someone of Christina Hendricks proportions?

Cheap stunt? Even if it wasn’t intended that way that’s how it comes off. I’m sure there’s some satirical comment being made but it’s going to get lost in translation with the general.

I like the Alexander McQueen and her hair colour with it – not much else.

9. JJ September 13, 2010 at 14:03 #

I wonder how the meat was treated so that it keeps its shape, how the pieces were attached…what kind of meat, whether it smelled…etc
    I think she found a new way of ‘shocking’ people, though I for one, am not really shocked, its typical gaga.we should have known what to expect after she appeared on that cover wearing meat.

10. Raskolnikowskaja. September 13, 2010 at 14:35 #

I love the armani gown, but that meat dress is just disgusting!

11. Leo September 13, 2010 at 14:54 #

The meat dress is beyond tasteless, even for Gaga.

12. Sharona September 13, 2010 at 15:15 #

Really, what’s the difference between a dress made of leather and a dress made of meat? We’re still killing an animal for our own use, when we no longer need to. I don’t think it’s any more outrageous than any other dress I see on here, to be honest.

• cindy September 13, 2010 at 19:02 #

I totally agree with you on this point. I mean, fur and leather is not better than meat…you still have to kill the animal to get it. So for me it’s not more offensive than any other fashion show….remember those alexander mc queen’s birdy dresses from spring 2008 with the feathers? They were absolutely gorgeous but I remember how I felt when I saw them….my heart just broke for those poor animals.Hats up for chanel and the faux-fur we got to see this fall.

13. Anissa September 13, 2010 at 15:55 #

She wore that meat on a Vogue Japan cover recently…
    So that means two look repeats in one night…odd

• Fashion Critic September 13, 2010 at 15:59 #

wow 2 repeats. Is she losing her touch

• Lee Ann September 13, 2010 at 18:08 #

Leftovers?

14. jen September 13, 2010 at 16:12 #

i wonder if PETA would ignore it lol

15. mol September 13, 2010 at 16:45 #

It seems to me that Lady Gaga is combining performance art with pop music, and in a way, trying to create a new genre. An outfit like the meat dress would not be at all out of context in performance art, but maybe only 50 or 100 people would see it, and then it might be published in some obscure art journal that nobody reads (or at least nobody from the broader public). So to me it’s kind of exciting that Lady Gaga has this vast public that she interacts with in way normally reserved for the (so called) avant garde artist. I really appreciate that she doesn’t think that we are too dumb to get it as most modern art functions from a pretty elitist place – I can also see why Andy Warhol is one of her idols as he worked in this same kind of territory.

16. a September 13, 2010 at 17:03 #

her meat dress can feed 20 kids in africa..
    hmm i like her in armani tho.

• anon September 15, 2010 at 02:46 #

and the monetary value of her armani dress could feed hundreds, if not thousands.
      whats your point?

• a September 15, 2010 at 08:25 #

i know. its just different. the armani dress is a piece of clothing that can be worn a million times, the meat dress is.. food. im just saying. no need take it too seriously. :)

17. Sharon September 13, 2010 at 21:09 #

I think Gaga’s meat dress did just what she wanted it to do — get people talking about the dress and about her. Lady Gaga and Katy Perry – why do we continue to be surprised by anything they do?

18. pipsqueak September 13, 2010 at 22:39 #

While I don’t care for Lady Gaga’s music or wardrobe (seems so over-compensating), I must say she’s a dream come true for the more dramatic designers. I’d like to see her supporting – intentionally or not – more designers in that category. And I’d like to see her in Gareth Pugh someday.

19. DM September 14, 2010 at 02:16 #

ugh can someone just rrun her over with a car already? she already looks like roadkill.

20. Kevin September 14, 2010 at 03:33 #

I love the Armani and McQueen dress!

the Armani dress I think for me is to shiny. its all too leather.
    the McQueen dress however is divine! it flows like water =)

THE MEAT DRESS! wow! is a different story.
    maybe its a new ad for PETA Anti-fur, don’t wear fur, wear meat instead!!

21. ange September 14, 2010 at 09:47 #

gross, but she pulls off the meat dress. i wonder what chair she sat on and hope they cleaned it well….

22. chaltham September 14, 2010 at 14:25 #

is that real meat x_x

23. Ally September 14, 2010 at 14:44 #

I saw Lady Gaga in concert last week and someone threw her a UVA t-shirt from the crowd. She put it on since we were on the UVA campus, but she said something like “t-shirts are against my religion.” So funny. I’m not a fan of the meat dress, but the others looked good. At least she keeps us on our toes.

24. kiwi September 15, 2010 at 10:40 #

In the meat dress, her legs look fat!!!

25. Noora September 15, 2010 at 19:58 #

OMG! .. this is a cry for help!! the woman is in serious need for therapy.. i wonder when will she crack down?? and for those who can’t tell the difference between meat and leather, lets put it that way: if her dress was leather no one really cares, but her dress is meat that can probably feed a couple of villages in Niger.

26. Beau Johnston September 16, 2010 at 20:30 #

Did she eat the meat afterwards? This kind of domain thing is not a big deal in ecuador.