2010 MTV VMAs – Katy Perry In Marchesa

Should Have Worn The Tights Award
I love this Marchesa Fall 2010 dress which Katy Perry wore to the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards tonight.

The sheer top part of her one-sleeve dress is embellished with black sequins which cascades onto her white layered skirt.

I think this is the perfect look for Katy. I don’t think many would’ve pulled it off, but I’m disappointed she didn’t go the whole hog and wear the tattoo print tights as well.

She would’ve totally worked don’t you agree?

Jimmy Choo heels completed her look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

2010 MTV VMAs - Ashley Greene In Giambattista Valli

2010 MTV VMAs – Ashley Greene In Giambattista Valli

2010 MTV VMAs - Lady GaGa In Alexander McQueen

2010 MTV VMAs – Lady GaGa In Alexander McQueen

26 Responses to 2010 MTV VMAs – Katy Perry In Marchesa

1. Laura September 13, 2010 at 04:23 #

The tights would’ve taken out the “figure skater” look of this dress. Also, those hair streaks are God-awful but not unexpected. Still, this is better than a lot of the things she wears.

• Fashion Critic September 13, 2010 at 04:27 #

i agree not unexpected

2. lukie September 13, 2010 at 04:26 #

Your right FC the tights would have looked spectacular, she also should have not died her hair, it just doesn’t go! Btw FC i don’t know how you do it? Between Fashion Week, TIFF, Venice, and now the VMA’s I would be dead but you keep on going, its amazing!

• Fashion Critic September 13, 2010 at 04:49 #

Fashion is fueling my soul ;)

3. Hisadora September 13, 2010 at 04:28 #

Yes, I do. If someone could pulled off the tights with this dress, this person is Katy P!!!! I love this look but what are those ridiculous colorful things on her hair? …. Ok, now I’m going to bed and thanks FC for your good job :)

4. mm September 13, 2010 at 04:32 #

The hair and shoe choice ruin it! Love her upbeat personality though

5. justme September 13, 2010 at 04:40 #

With whatever that is going on with her hair, the tattoo print tights might’ve been too much.

6. maria September 13, 2010 at 05:04 #

Love the dress, but that ridicilous hair totally ruins it for me. What a shame.

• Terry September 13, 2010 at 09:07 #

Agree. I thought blue and red highlights were left in the 90s :(

• Naomi September 13, 2010 at 10:26 #

Agree about the hair. She really should embrace Coco Chanel’s advice ‘When accessorizing, always take off the last thing you put on’ – Only with her it should be about hair & make-up. It’s always seems too much.

7. Jackie September 13, 2010 at 06:21 #

Love the dress. Love the shoes with the dress. Dislike everything on Katy Perry as it doesn’t work with her personality. The dress is a bit too serious for Katy Parry. The matching tights would’ve been an interesting touch but I don’t mind it without either… well, I guess it just depends on the person wearing.

8. mol September 13, 2010 at 06:30 #

Yes, the tights would have been a perfect addition, but, like many, I say agghhhh, fugly hair…

9. aleksey September 13, 2010 at 08:04 #

CONTRARY TO WAT EVERYONE ELSE SAYS. I LOVE THE HAIR! ITS TOTALLY HER!
    IN FACT I LOOVE THE WHOLE OUTFIT

10. Alina September 13, 2010 at 09:49 #

She just ruined a perfect look with the hair and her choice of not wearing the tights.

11. sara September 13, 2010 at 09:52 #

what about her hair??¿¿why???this is my question???

12. Mahima September 13, 2010 at 12:23 #

for some reason i thought of the dress blake lively wore to the Sherlock Holmes premier.
    They were a bit similar, but i do like it on katy.

13. Marvel September 13, 2010 at 13:10 #

I like the outfit. She is crazy enough to pull off the tights but Im glad she didnt wear them. She looks great but NO to the hair!

14. SarahV September 13, 2010 at 13:30 #

She wore Russel Brand’s face on her nails to make up for it :P

15. kit September 13, 2010 at 14:51 #

I think wearing the leggings would have made much more of an impact, I would have liked to see them so I agree it’s a little disappointing that she didn’t go all out. However, I’m not surprised. I always feel like Katy Perry doesn’t really have a solid personal style, she’s all over the shop, which isn’t a bad thing really but I suppose I just don’t ever feel like she really ~owns the outfits she wears, never WOWs!

16. Leo September 13, 2010 at 14:56 #

I like this but I’m so tired of her style that it takes away some of it’s charm. The wig looks terrible.

17. Hannah September 13, 2010 at 20:06 #

Underwhelming considering the sheer beauty of the dress. Katy ruined it with the styling.

18. Sharon September 13, 2010 at 20:32 #

A perfect Katy Perry dress. Great shoes, too. I’m not wild about the pink and blue hair stripes, but then it is VMA and her fans are 12, so I guess it’s okay.

19. Cheekygirl September 13, 2010 at 21:15 #

Beyond heinous! Why can’t she just go away??

20. Fiona September 13, 2010 at 22:06 #

I think the shoes upset me most for some reason, they look so ordinary and bridesmaidy and don’t really complement the dress except for the fact that they are black with rhinestones on them. Something edgier and chunkier like the model would have stopped this looking so like a tutu and more high fashion. Agree about the tights, even black (hate to say it) and the hair is unnecessary – just Katy saying ‘look at me, I’m funky” again.

21. Alix September 14, 2010 at 05:59 #

turns out she did wear the tights but only to the tattoo

Image from Sydney Morning Herald:

• Fashion Critic September 14, 2010 at 10:10 #

That is part of the dress rather than the tights