07.09.10

Chinese actress Li Bingbing looked amazing on the red carpet for the “Detective Dee and the Mystery of Phantom Flame” Premiere during the 2010 Venice Film Festival on Sunday evening.

She wore a breath-taking pink strapless fitted Guo Pei gown with remarkable red Chinese elements along the hemline and a beaded detail on the bodice which I can’t quite make out.

The actress looked so very elegant.

I’m sure she stole the limelight away from her co-star in her electric blue Versace dress below.

I’ve been informed that the Chinese characters say: “luck/fortune is coming to me”.

Credit: Newscom

Sarah Felberbaum In Alberta Ferretti - 'Hungry Hearts' Venice Film Festival Premiere

Sarah Felberbaum In Alberta Ferretti – ‘Hungry Hearts’ Venice Film Festival Premiere

2010 Venice Film Festival – Noomi Rapace In Elie Saab

2010 Venice Film Festival – Noomi Rapace In Elie Saab

27 Responses to 2010 Venice Film Festival “Detective Dee and the Mystery of Phantom Flame” Premiere – Li Bingbing In Guo Pei

1. Nikki September 7, 2010 at 11:22 #

She’s gorgeous! I love everything about this look, from her hair, makeup, and accessories. She looks elegant and effortless.

Those are Chinese characters on the hem of her gown. I think it means “luck”. The beaded detail on the bodice is also a Chinese character…I just don’t know what it means. :)

• eileenzh September 7, 2010 at 12:22 #

the beaded detail on the bodice is also a Chinese character
      ============
      yes, its also FU, which means luck in chinese. It is written upside down,because upside down in chinese sounds the same as “come”. So the whole picture is something like “luck is coming to me”.

2. Alina September 7, 2010 at 11:24 #

I LOVE IT!
    BDOTW contender imo.

3. bettybrandenburg September 7, 2010 at 11:47 #

FC, I think all the embellishments are different wasy fo writing one particular Chinese character “Fu” – for luck/fortune. Maybe it’s the dress version of crossing your fingers to win the competition? She wins in the style stakes, for sure.

• bettybrandenburg September 7, 2010 at 11:48 #

different ways, not wasy :-)

• Fashion Critic September 7, 2010 at 12:00 #

thanks for the info

• Anna September 7, 2010 at 18:24 #

FC you have the best readers – I’m catching up and only clicked to see comments as I was sure a few of your wonderful readers would tell us what the characters meant!

Thank you guys!!

• Fashion Critic September 7, 2010 at 18:36 #

I know. The contributions are so welcomely received

4. CreoleLady September 7, 2010 at 11:54 #

Exquisite. BDOTW for me so far, with Yeoh in Ferretti and the two Versaces (Wu and Lau) in a three way tie for second. What a red carpet event! Could there possibly be more?!

5. kiwi September 7, 2010 at 11:57 #

I am very intrigued.can u pl ID the gown/ Nice to see something different. her earrings look very interesting as well.. Does she have somekind of a band on her hair? can see something glinting.. don’t like ith

• Fashion Critic September 7, 2010 at 12:00 #

It’s not a runway dress sorry

6. nicky September 7, 2010 at 12:10 #

she looks amazing. love the unique chinese characters on her dress…really makes the dress a lot more unique. her jewelry is a bit questionable as i dont really love big earrings like tht but they look really interesting

7. Marvel September 7, 2010 at 12:24 #

I like the gown and her in it butI am starting to tire of mermaid style dresses

8. Kelly September 7, 2010 at 13:13 #

This is one of the best looks I’ve seen not just this week but so far this year!! The gown is so breathtaking and interesting… I keep feeling like the Chinese actresses (based on what you’ve posetd) take more risks with their red carpet looks as well as are more likely to wear the whole runway ensemble, which I like very much!

9. Hannah September 7, 2010 at 13:20 #

This really took my breath away, it is so unique and memorable. In some ways it reminds me of the dragon dress fan bing bing wore during cannes, but still veyr different. I really love it. BDOTW for sure.

10. mochababe73 September 7, 2010 at 14:37 #

She looks pretty. Overdone shape and silhouette again saved by beautiful fabric.

11. mol September 7, 2010 at 15:49 #

She’s very beautiful, I love her hair and her bracelet, but I am going to have to say that I don’t like the gown (sorry, don’t hate!)……the fit is perfect, but I feel like the chinese characters/words have just been added on rather than completely integrated into the design of the gown…..

12. HM September 7, 2010 at 17:34 #

BDOTW contender PLEASE FC! This ‘Bingbing’ hit the right amount of glamour with a hint of sophistication & a whole lot of drama…everything you need in a red-carpet dress!

• Fashion Critic September 7, 2010 at 17:36 #

As you wish :D

13. dleedlee September 7, 2010 at 19:59 #

The dress was designed by Guo Pei. who also designed the Dragon Robe. :D

• Fashion Critic September 7, 2010 at 20:03 #

I just googled him

His work is amazing

• Justformydream September 8, 2010 at 17:50 #

Dear FC, it’s a she.
        Guopei designed a lot of dresses for Chinese actresses and hostesses, added Chinese element into her design sometime.

She also got Carmen Dell orefice walked for her Haute Courture fashion show.

• Fashion Critic September 8, 2010 at 19:29 #

ok thank you

14. dleedlee September 7, 2010 at 20:17 #

You’re welcome. And Guo Pei is a she, only 24 years-old, I think. :D

15. Carla September 7, 2010 at 23:55 #

Hmmm…if these were English alphabet characters in diffferent fonts–no matter how elegant the fonts–this dress would be supremely tacky with words written all over it. What makes it elegant because they’re Chinese characters?

16. KateS September 8, 2010 at 03:25 #

Love. It.

17. Juliana September 9, 2010 at 17:37 #

Love it too! But I still prefer Fan Bing
    Bing’s yellow chinese dress…