I’m dying.

Michelle Williams had me floored when she walked the red carpet at the 2010 Venice Film Festival for her “Meek’s Cutoff” Premiere on Sunday evening.

We’ve been seduced by a lot of European designers at this event, but Michelle opted for American designer Jason Wu for her red carpet moment.

And what a breath-taking spectacular moment it was.

It would take Angelina Jolie in one of those red Elie Saab Fall 2010 Couture gowns or Cate Blanchett in any look from the Alexander McQueen’s Fall 2010 collection to top this look for me this week.

Her Jason Wu Resort 2011 dove grey silk chiffon gown is stunning.

I love the embellishments which trail off around the hips and the cute jabot collar.

3/4 length sleeves can make a look matronly, but that doesn’t apply in this case.

I’m still loving her platinum blonde crop, but the only thing that lets this look down is the Cecilia clutch.

It’s just there.

I would’ve preferred something that would’ve faded into the background more and been totally anonymous, but this look still gets a 10 from me.

Credit: Style.com, Zuma Press & Reuters

In Anne Heche's Closet - Zac Posen Folded Dress

In Anne Heche’s Closet – Zac Posen Folded Dress

2010 Venice Film Festival “Bulgari And W Magazine Party” – Sofia Coppola In Marc Jacobs

50 Responses to 2010 Venice Film Festival “Meek’s Cutoff” Premiere – Michelle Williams In Jason Wu

1. Vidhya September 6, 2010 at 17:08 #

Oh.. u seem absolutely floored.. im not getting the same vibes .. the sleeves are a weird length and the clutch is killing me..

• faina September 6, 2010 at 18:32 #

Totally agree! When I first saw the picture I thought the review would definitely be bad.

The hair, the dress, the styling… when did michelle turn into a washed out 70 year old?

• Naomi September 6, 2010 at 19:37 #

Sadly, I have to agree. I don’t get it. The color, the shape. I just don’t get it.

• Alina September 7, 2010 at 08:41 #

That makes us four.I have the same feelings.

2. sara September 6, 2010 at 17:22 #

this dress is very unflattering to her figure. also the dress + the haircut are giving me granny vibes.

3. Rebel September 6, 2010 at 17:24 #

Wow I love it. Jason Wu is nice! The clutch is really bad…

4. Lee Ann September 6, 2010 at 17:26 #

you took the words right out of my mouth. Love it so much I can even overlook the clutch-maybe she left the proper one at home–I always forget something when I travel. This look may be a bit demure for some but I love it on her.

5. dressaddict September 6, 2010 at 17:27 #

That is…amazing…there are no words to describe how much I like it!

6. Ben September 6, 2010 at 17:31 #

OMG!OMG! BDOTW Contender, in not winner of course! LOVE it! LOVE it!

7. wkw_ed September 6, 2010 at 17:32 #

I felt the *exact* same way as you yesterday when I saw these pictures. The clutch is all wrong, but everything else is perfect! I adore the 1930′s vibe.

I don’t care if I’m in the minority. It’s love.

• kiwi September 7, 2010 at 12:01 #

Agree.. what a feminine, graceful look.. I can forgive the clutch for such a beautiful look

• kiwi September 7, 2010 at 12:03 #

Also just look at her make up.. her lip colour is so gorgeous ;)

8. pipsqueak September 6, 2010 at 17:39 #

You said it so eloquently that the usually loquacious me have no more to add. Plus, the look took away my breath, too. Oxygen please…

9. Nikki September 6, 2010 at 17:41 #

Me too! I saw this on Gettyimages and at first I only saw the upper half…but when I clicked on the album and saw the entire gown…my jaw just dropped! I was waiting for you to feature this on your blog. This is one of those wow moments that I’ll remember as one of the best red carpet looks.

• Fashion Critic September 6, 2010 at 17:44 #

Definitely a BDOTY contender.

I’ll remember this come December

10. Ela September 6, 2010 at 17:41 #

Love it. Suits her personality. Can’t think of anyone else being able to pull off this look.

• Fashion Critic September 6, 2010 at 17:43 #

In total agreement with you.

• Elaine September 6, 2010 at 19:01 #

Maybe Carey Mulligan would pull this off this look well too – thats who I thought it was when I first seen it…
        I LOVE it on her, and I think the bow detail is just adorable.
        shame about the clutch but we’ll let her away with it!

• Fiona September 7, 2010 at 00:23 #

Agree too – it reminded me of Carey’s Cannes Azzaro gown with the sleeves and collar, similar vibe. I love this as it goes against the grain of what so many stars wear – strapless, one shouldered etc. Love the sleeves – quite mad men. Hate the bag, don’t know what she was thinking.

11. iona September 6, 2010 at 17:44 #

no words to gush enough. amazing. major.

12. Marvel September 6, 2010 at 17:45 #

I think she has FINALLY managed to top her yellow Oscar Gown.

AMAZING

13. mm September 6, 2010 at 17:45 #

What, OK, she is rockin the heck out that cut! LOVE, love love this look! This will be an iconic look for her for many years to come

14. B September 6, 2010 at 18:02 #

I’m grinning to myself.. I saw the picture and was instantly conviced that not only I loved this outfit, but also that you’d love it as well, so when you read that you did, it was a pleasing moment!
    Question is, will this be remembered as fondly as the 2006 oscars dress?!

15. VB Lover September 6, 2010 at 18:36 #

breathtaking! I agree with the clutch, but the rest is so perfect that it outshines the one sore spot!!

16. Gaber September 6, 2010 at 18:43 #

I hate the grey.
    Other than that, it’s superb.

17. mol September 6, 2010 at 18:47 #

Michelle seems to bring a kind of sweetness and lightly worn innocence to everything she does and that alone makes her stand out in the often overcooked world of ‘stars’ – this gown emphasizes those qualities, it makes her uniqueness ring out in clear tones which I love!

18. Amanda September 6, 2010 at 18:51 #

It looks beautiful on her, it suits her like it wouldn suit anyone else, it’s flattering on her, its sweet, adorabel, classy, elegant, the 1930′s vibe is great on her, it will probably be my BDOTW, mu I still dont think it tops her canary yellow Oscar Vera Wang dress.

That yellow dress is one of my top three Oscar dresses ever in the history of Oscar dresses. Iconic, timeless and unforgettable.

19. shap_half September 6, 2010 at 18:57 #

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous. It’s just amazing how perfectly this suits her.

20. Hellwafashion September 6, 2010 at 19:05 #

Wow! when I scrolled through the blog quickly I thought it was Carey Mulligan. I don’t think Michelle’s ever looked this good!

21. From Russia With Love September 6, 2010 at 19:12 #

Best dressed!

22. JacobGH September 6, 2010 at 19:40 #

I think Michele is one of the few who can REALLY pull off the pixie cut. She is working the hell out of it right now.

23. Luara September 6, 2010 at 19:42 #

Isnt this look almost identical to what Carey Mulligan wore to her Premiere in Cannes? At least the style is pretty much the same.

I dont like both looks to be honest, it makes them look old for their age.

24. Hannah September 6, 2010 at 19:42 #

This seems like the kind of look which if you don’t get it completely, you jsut can’t find the magnificence of it. Ithink yes, she looks amazing, but how perfect would this be for a formal dinner (Michelle Obama would KILL it). I just don’t find it as red-carpet appropriate.

25. JJ September 6, 2010 at 20:27 #

i like it and i like it on her, but it really still strikes me as a dress someone in the Helen Mirren age group should be wearing.

• Alicat September 7, 2010 at 02:11 #

My thoughts exactly. But even on an older lady, minus the bow and with a more flattering neckline. This dress has a matronly vibe for me and is too old for MW.

26. Jen September 6, 2010 at 21:44 #

I think she looks stunning.

27. Karis September 7, 2010 at 00:49 #

I agree with quite a few people when I say this is a very Carey Mulligan look. Love the dress, it is stunning, but can someone take that awful clutch away from her!?!?

28. gossip_bangkok September 7, 2010 at 01:45 #

beautiful, classic…

29. Sophie September 7, 2010 at 03:50 #

first of all, i don’t think this is an easy look to pull off, and michelle does it better than most, but i don’t like the dress for several reasons. i think the length, neckline, and sleeves age her, and the color washes her out. the whole cut of the dress doesn’t flatter her body shape, and makes her look larger than she really is. it is, as you said, poorly accessorized, and i get the sense it’s missing something, most likely color. kudos on the pixie though.

30. Ev September 7, 2010 at 05:45 #

She looks great and about 50 in that dress.
    Anyway, I love her hair and makeup, but unlike you, FC, I can’t overlook that black clutch, no way, which is a shame, because she looks amazing otherwise.

31. Sara September 7, 2010 at 06:54 #

I like it but I wish the sleeves would’ve been a tad shorter, it might give the dress a more youthful vibe?

• Fashion Critic September 7, 2010 at 09:30 #

But don’t you think that it would’ve been like a t-shirt dress had the sleeves been shorter?

32. KateS September 7, 2010 at 07:01 #

Umm… kind of? Almost? But no. Maybe it’s just the bow – I can’t stand them on adults. Or the sleeves, which are dowdy. But I unequivocally love her hair.

33. roxana September 7, 2010 at 07:18 #

amazing. the bow is perfect and the haircut too. BDOW

34. Xail September 7, 2010 at 09:12 #

Last night I dreamed that I’m using this dress! is perfectttttt

35. Ayesha September 7, 2010 at 12:15 #

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. Ally September 7, 2010 at 13:21 #

There are others that look good with the cropped hair, but Michelle is the only one that makes me wish I could pull it off.

37. lou September 7, 2010 at 20:12 #

I think Michelle looks better in the dress than the model… though I prefer the full length view than the closeer-up one

38. LemonPi September 7, 2010 at 20:34 #

I absolutely adore it, she looks amazing – I don’t think it’s matronly at all. She looks elegant and very, very feminine; a breath of fresh air on the red carpet.

What a shame about the clutch :-(

39. mochababe73 September 7, 2010 at 23:08 #

I think that the sleeves and bow should be eliminated. As it is, it’s boring.