30.08.10

2010 Emmy Awards – Carrie Preston In Makoto Takada

I Know You Hate It, But I Love It Award
I thought “True Blood” actress star Carrie Preston looked stunning on the red carpet at the 2010 Emmy Awards last night.

I have a feeling a lot of people will dislike her custom Makoto Takada print gown, but I think she looked breathtakingly refreshing in her patterned gown.

It was a huge risk, but it paid off.

I love the way the strap detail around the midsection wraps around to her body. The length and cut of the dress makes her appear taller.

I can’t gush about this dress enough.

Erica Courtney jewels, a Christian Louboutin clutch and nude Louboutin peep-toes completed her look.

Credit: Newscom

2010 Emmy Awards - Kyra Sedgwick In Monique Lhuillier

2010 Emmy Awards – Kyra Sedgwick In Monique Lhuillier

2010 Emmy Awards - Connie Britton In Burberry

2010 Emmy Awards – Connie Britton In Burberry

41 Responses to 2010 Emmy Awards – Carrie Preston In Makoto Takada

1. JJ August 30, 2010 at 09:43 #

I like most of it too – hate the train and slit, doesn’t work so well, but the dress compliments her hair and funny how the background and carpet match the dress. Seeing pattern on an award RC is always refreshing, but always difficult to pull off.

2. Lily August 30, 2010 at 09:43 #

I think Carrie looks absolutely amazing. What a refreshing and bold change on the red carpet. Stunning!

3. kiwi August 30, 2010 at 09:49 #

i love it.. why do u think we won’t like it?I love it when folks take risks

• Fashion Critic August 30, 2010 at 10:01 #

I assumed that the print maybe too much for some

• Monkey August 30, 2010 at 10:11 #

its only for the people on e

• Rashmi August 30, 2010 at 10:16 #

I love it too :) The dress works so well with her hair… its a refresing change …

4. Harrison August 30, 2010 at 09:54 #

I love it… Such a nice change on the red carpet

5. biskachoo August 30, 2010 at 10:07 #

I love love loved it!! Hey FC, how about featuring Emily Deschannel, Keri Russel and Rose Byrne?? They were my absolute favourites of the night!

• Fashion Critic August 30, 2010 at 10:20 #

As you can see I’m trying to feature as many people as I can. I would appreciate your patience.

6. CreoleLady August 30, 2010 at 10:47 #

FC, no worries, you are doing a fantastic job with your Emmy coverage. When I factor in the time difference, I appreciate what you’ve done even more. Plus, this year, the actresses have really stepped up their games. Even the few misses I’ve seen are at least interesting.

And thanks for spotlighting this dress. After having this chance to reconsider it, the look is starting to grow on me….’

• Fashion Critic August 30, 2010 at 10:50 #

7. Eris August 30, 2010 at 11:02 #

Why would we hate it ? She looks gorgeous ?

8. mol August 30, 2010 at 11:04 #

I too like this dress – it hits a different note from almost everything else we have seen………as usual, I am in awe of your coverage FC!

• Fashion Critic August 30, 2010 at 11:04 #

thanks Mol. Do try ;)

9. Shruti August 30, 2010 at 11:06 #

This was one of my favorite looks as well. I think she looked stunning. Beautiful and breezy. The dress looks light and fun and the colour looks great on her pale skin and goes perfectly with her hair. It’s different and she’s looks super pretty.

10. Ayesha August 30, 2010 at 11:25 #

nope……….love this look,it’s gorgeous!

11. mm August 30, 2010 at 11:51 #

You are right i about me, i hate it! Love the hair though

12. Miss Jeanett August 30, 2010 at 12:27 #

She looks amazing! The colours of the dress work so well with her haircolour and you can see that she’s really lovin’ that dress her self. Claire Danes is still my favorite, but Carrie is a very close runner up.

Awesome that you’re featuring so many stars from the Emmy’s – I loving every second of it. I’m actually in school and should be concentrating in class, but instead I’m here reading all your Emmy reviews. Haha.

• Fashion Critic August 30, 2010 at 12:29 #

Don’t get in trouble :)

glad you’re enjoying it.

More is to come

• Miss Jeanett August 30, 2010 at 14:54 #

Haha I won’t – I’m sneaky so they won’t know that I’m really reading about gorgeous dresses while I should be playing around with Photoshop.

13. Tania August 30, 2010 at 12:40 #

I love it, it really suits her figure and skin tone!

14. Cristina August 30, 2010 at 12:50 #

Don’t get me wrong, I love a printed gown on the red carpet, but I think its too matchy-matchy with her hair. And those shoes are horrendous. I love nude shoes, but those are too pale and approaching white in color. She should have gone with a pewter strappy sandal.

15. Pablo August 30, 2010 at 12:50 #

I will absolutely defend a brave star on the RC. It’s so refreshing to see these brave choices! Just like with Toni Collete, I’m loving this look!

16. geisha August 30, 2010 at 13:19 #

for some reason i don’t like the shoes with the dress though. I can’t put my finger on what it is about it exactly… Maybe it looks too casual what with the print on the dress and all.

17. Ally August 30, 2010 at 13:49 #

Oh my gosh. I can’t believe they didn’t feature her on TV (at least that I saw). She looks amazing. I might even go as far to say she is my favorite of the night :).

Thanks for your always amazing coverage, FC!

• Fashion Critic August 30, 2010 at 13:52 #

you’re welcome Ally

18. Camille August 30, 2010 at 13:56 #

I don’t hate it. I actually like it very much. It’s different, but not strange, it fits, it flatters her body and her coloring. She is clearly loving it, which is always wonderful to see and it photographs well. I think she took a chance and is having the time of her life and looks darling.

19. Raquel August 30, 2010 at 14:40 #

I loooove the print. Too many cut outs for my personal taste, but ut fits her body and it is refreshing to see something different on the red carpet. I gotta agree with Cristina about the shoes, though. They are too too meh for this look.

20. susan August 30, 2010 at 15:24 #

I like it too. Plus she’s kept her red hair and her pale skin! Yay Pale People UNITE!

21. marian August 30, 2010 at 15:38 #

i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Nitasha August 30, 2010 at 16:27 #

She looks gorgeous. The dress is pure art…the print, the color combination, the flow..beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

23. moja31 August 30, 2010 at 17:06 #

i prefer what she wore the other night to the pre emmy party; but actually my least favorite part of this look is her shoes.

24. jessica August 30, 2010 at 17:55 #

she looked awesome love her and the dress..
    @jesscurious on twitter

25. Laura August 30, 2010 at 19:42 #

When I first saw it, the print reminded me of Matthew Williamson. The print is gorgeous. The dress gives her a great silhouette. It’s a really great look. This was one I really liked.

26. Kim August 30, 2010 at 22:23 #

I surprised myself by actually liking the dress. The mullet looking hair,…not so much!

27. mochababe73 August 30, 2010 at 22:47 #

I wanted to hate, but the more that I looked at it, the more that I found myself liking it.

28. Sharon August 31, 2010 at 02:12 #

After watching all the wrap-up shows on TV, it was so nice to come back “home” and find out that I’m not the only one who loved this dress. The shoes aren’t my favorites, but I really lke the print against her red hair. Beautiful.

29. KateS August 31, 2010 at 07:13 #

I like the print, but I think the dress is overdesigned. A simpler sheath would have been preferred.

30. Marvel August 31, 2010 at 13:32 #

I like the print of the dress and the sexy cut out stops making this dress look like an ordinary maxi dress. I dont know if I like how her hair matched the dress though

31. Juliana August 31, 2010 at 18:03 #

I loved it too! Looks like the dress was custom made to match her hair! Was I the only one to notice that the print appears to be the whole picture background mixed out? hahaha Anyway, I love it from head to toe!

32. Letty October 8, 2013 at 03:06 #

When I read this actress’s name the first thing that came to mind was Carrie Bradshaw’s married name. :)