Celebrities Love…Ombre Hair

At first I thought stars were too busy to get their roots done, but the two-tone look has turned into a full blown trend.

Ombre hair is here to stay whether we approve or not.

Former MTV “The Hills” reality star Kristin Cavallari is the latest star to embrace this trend, as she was spotted leaving the Neil George Salon in Beverly Hills yesterday showing off her new do.

Her Farrah Fawcett style included some extra layers and extra colour.

We all know Kristin is a full blonde, so it’s clear she asked for the darker colour on top to jump on the ombre hair trend.

Other fans of this look are Drew Barrymore, Erin Wasson, Nicole Richie, Rachel Bilson and the pioneer Alexa Chung.

Are any of you sporting this trend?

If you are too worried about dying your hair you can always add hair pieces to try to achieve the same look.

Credit: Fame Pictures

"Machete" LA Premiere - Jessica Alba In Balmain

“Machete” LA Premiere – Jessica Alba In Balmain

January Jones For Tatler UK September 2010

January Jones For Tatler UK September 2010

33 Responses to Celebrities Love…Ombre Hair

1. Leah August 26, 2010 at 16:14 #

I can’t put into words how much I despise this look

• Hannah August 26, 2010 at 20:59 #

You’re right, there really are no words.

• Clover August 27, 2010 at 02:10 #

I agree: horrid.

• gemma August 28, 2010 at 21:17 #

I agree. though I find it slightly ok on brunette hair

2. Brooke August 26, 2010 at 16:35 #

What an awful trend. The emperor’s new coif indeed.

3. Shannon August 26, 2010 at 16:43 #

Hate it!

4. manja August 26, 2010 at 17:03 #

not a fan,sorry

5. pipsqueak August 26, 2010 at 17:09 #

Awful when the hair is long. Makes one look like a hair dresser at a cheap salon or an ex-hippie now working at your local Half Price bookstore. Hope it’s just an ephemeral phase for Drew.

6. Priscila August 26, 2010 at 17:17 #

Here in Brazil we call it “mechas californianas” (californian highlights). All the local celbs are doing it.
    I am not a fan either, but some people look good with (drew) and some not (kristin)…

7. Colleen August 26, 2010 at 17:35 #

Well, I guess I am trendy…I am a week away from having my hair done & my roots are running wild!

The fact that this is a trend boggles my mind. I don’t know about anyone else, but the MOMENT I see a spec of a root, I run to my hairdresser! That celebrities pay for this look? I don’t get it at all.

8. Julia August 26, 2010 at 19:17 #

I like it very much.. In Brazil are also called sunkissed highlights. But here, this trend is kinda oldfashioned as the first ones did it about 3 or 4 years ago… But still works. Everyone does, and believe me it´s a very good look for those who want to light up theirs faces without getting a totally blonde or the hair too much damaged.
    Oh, and this “ombre hair” is far from easy to hairdressers do, in fact, it´s much more difficult than the regular highlights.

9. Ev August 26, 2010 at 20:00 #

I like Rachel with this hair, but only because she looks really natural, unlike Drew, who seems to have forgotten about her hairdresser in at least six months. Ew.

10. maria August 26, 2010 at 20:13 #

let’s be honest. this is not just growing your roots out, which would be awesome. i am sure it involves gazillion of high/lowlights and is extremely expensive to keep up.

11. Deborah August 26, 2010 at 20:31 #

OH Lordddd, here we go again. Ok, here in Brasil the ombre hair, “malibu beach hair” “californian hair” how we call it here, has been a trend for over 2 years now!!! I can´t take it anymore! Now all the celebrities are doing it again, so I guess It will never go away!!! I actually had a similar look when after I died my hair a little lighter 2 years ago and then I let it grow and havent died since then. But im over it!!!!

12. Maximiliana August 26, 2010 at 21:00 #

When I saw Lily Aldridge I said I want this,but my hairdresser didn’t know how to and on the end my hair was pretty much ruined,now I think only celebs can pull it off,or not…
    Rachel Bilson has it natural,they are more like highlights…
    <<<<check out Lily Aldridge!!!

13. Marvel August 26, 2010 at 22:40 #

It look terrible and I sincerely hope that this trend doesnt follow on.

14. cecelove August 26, 2010 at 22:55 #

im sorry but that is just one of the rattiest trends ever. i hope it fizzles out.

15. Maria August 27, 2010 at 00:19 #

Looks dirty, unwashed, and cheap.

16. Estracciatella August 27, 2010 at 03:51 #

I like only if looks natural, like Rachel’s hair, but in the most of cases, looks ugly and sad, and i dont lreally like it

17. Alicat August 27, 2010 at 04:28 #

While those supposedly “in the know” may be deluded into thinking they look trendy sporting this look, to the rest of the world you look like you cannot be bothered keeping up with personal grooming and getting your roots done. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

18. Amy August 27, 2010 at 08:01 #

HATE IT WITH A PASSION!

19. Lisa August 27, 2010 at 10:22 #

Awful ‘trend’. However i have never been so ‘on trend’ since my roots are showing.

20. sammantha August 27, 2010 at 10:41 #

I pretty much sport this look every winter. I can’t go all dark (doesn’t look good with my pale skin), but when it’s cold and dark too much blonde feels wrong…

21. kiwi August 27, 2010 at 12:24 #

Nah

22. susan August 27, 2010 at 14:26 #

yuck. Please make the Hills people go away.

23. sar August 27, 2010 at 21:59 #

i cannot express to you have happy you have made me that you are finally posting about ombre hair … i have been waiting to do my hair like this for a couple of years now but i want my hair to grow longer before i lighten up my ends. some people think this is gross because drew barrymore is a horrible example to give for the “ombre trend”. a good example of this trend would be lou dillon … please look @ this link: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f50/lou-doillon-august-2004-march-2010-a-8318-202.html

because honestly she totally rocks the ombre hair as well as rumi neely of fashiontoast.com also alexa chung does the trend justice and erin wasson has more of a cali surfer vibe with her ombre hair and rachel bilsons looks the most natural …. basically what im saying is that drew is a horrible example because her hair isnt “ombred” at all its basically color blocked between a brown and platnimum blonde and i agree it looks cheesy …with kristen shes trying to pull of the trend but it just looks like her roots need to be colored ….. hope you guys look @ the example i added because it will really change your minds from drews mess of hair lol

xo

24. Ferferi in Paris August 28, 2010 at 22:48 #

I love it. But not on Kristin. She looks bad in everything.

25. malisa August 31, 2010 at 01:46 #

im a stylist…and i love this trend. but there are different ways to wear it. i dont care when it came out or who started it. drew barrymore’s is obviously more dramatic than rachael bilson’s but take sarah jessica parker or jessica biel and back to rachel. its looks nice if its done right. you have to be edgy and have confidence to pull off the ore dramatic take. to each their own! just bc most people are stuck with the same old thing…doesnt mean this is a bad trend. case in point all things come and go and come back again! get over it!

26. valeria October 20, 2010 at 19:31 #

I love this look, I wanna ask my hairstylist to do it. People are just stuck on the boring one color all over it, I like changes.

27. krisblah October 22, 2010 at 03:52 #

I love it too, I feel like I don’t have to worry so much and pay 100$ to get my roots done every month. yay for ombre hair :-)

28. charlee October 25, 2010 at 17:58 #

doing it now check my youtube to see how it turns out its slightly ginger but i like it.xx

29. LovelyJS January 9, 2011 at 01:51 #

I got mine done and I LOVE IT!! I don’t care if it’s old news. Those of us that get highlights often have our hair like this anyways, now it’s more intentional and sexy!! You can do it in a more subtle way, or like Drew and very dramatic. I prefer the subtle look.

30. shell March 26, 2011 at 23:35 #

I’m not a trend hater, but this is HIDEOUS. I’ve been wondering why SJP never has her roots done – now I know it’s just “ombre” hair. It really does just look like you’re not taking care of yourself. I get most intentionally tousled, messy styles in fashion & hair, but this one doesn’t even have a “too cool to care” factor, it’s just aesthetically un-pleasing.