19.08.10 Premiere

“Eat Pray Love” Tokyo Premiere – Julia Roberts

Julia Roberts continues to shun black at the Tokyo Premiere her new movie “Eat Pray Love” today.

Many of you commented on the fit of her Dries Van Noten dress yesterday, but for this premiere she opted for a loose fitting kimono-style dress.

The gold striped dress was paired with Jimmy Choo ‘Clue’ leopard print heels, Van Cleef & Arpels bracelets and Jamie Wolf earrings.

Another refreshing look from Julia, but how do you feel about this look?

Loving the new direction or wishing she’s stick to safe black?

Credit: Getty

Nicola Roberts Couldn’t Wait To Wear Her Aviator Jacket

Nicola Roberts Couldn’t Wait To Wear Her Aviator Jacket

Runway To Katsuya - Kelly Rowland In BCBG Max Azria

Runway To Katsuya – Kelly Rowland In BCBG Max Azria

46 Responses to “Eat Pray Love” Tokyo Premiere – Julia Roberts

1. sushma August 19, 2010 at 17:10 #

Considering that this is Julia Roberts and not some unknown actress, I’m surprised that her stylist cannot do better for her. She is such a beautiful woman with a great personality and neither of those things have shown through either of the outfits she has worn. Instead, the clothes have just not looked quite ‘right’ on her… here’s hoping the next batch of outfits looks fabulous!

• Hannah August 19, 2010 at 17:26 #

Agree, thestylistkeepscovering herup, I’m not saying that she should go on a taylor-momsen style parade of lacking dignity, but she has been wearing sack-like clothes, and she has afabulous body, soIdon’t get it. Crossing my fingers for the next appearance.

2. Amelia August 19, 2010 at 17:27 #

never wishing she sticks to black, but not loving the new direction.

3. Ev August 19, 2010 at 17:35 #

I actually like this look, but is it just me or the dress really makes her look older?

4. Goodie August 19, 2010 at 17:38 #

for me she looks really good here. the dress fit is fine

5. shruti August 19, 2010 at 17:48 #

I think this is a great look on her. I would’ve left the hair loose…either open or more loosely tied. But otherwise, I think this is super refreshing. A very breezy yet elegant look. I like it! :)

6. Elise August 19, 2010 at 17:56 #

I really love this look, the dress is gorgeous, it fits her perfectly!

7. J August 19, 2010 at 18:00 #

She really is starting to follow in the footsteps of Meryl Streep filmwise and stylewise…

• Fiona August 20, 2010 at 00:32 #

I had the exact thought myself!! Julia seems to be going down the Meryl Streep line of sensible evening gowns that cover up her problem areas, except Meryl is 20 years older and Julia doesn’t really have any problem areas. I also think these recent looks, by making her look more mature, are actually highlighting the fact that she is quite a lot older than the character was supposed to be in this movie. I do like that she is steering away from black, but the wavy pattern is not very camera friendly.

8. Serina August 19, 2010 at 18:23 #

Its the Jimmy Choo Clue heels I have!! :-)

Probably my fave part of this look. Really dont like the neck line…makes her look wider than she is?

• Fashion Critic August 19, 2010 at 18:29 #

Thanks for the ID

9. mm August 19, 2010 at 18:42 #

I like the dress. I think a different shoe choice is needed

• mm August 19, 2010 at 19:06 #

Maybe the dress needs to be a floor length maxi

10. Thaysa August 19, 2010 at 18:59 #

I love this look. She looks amazing!

• Taylor August 20, 2010 at 00:25 #

Agree…this works for her

11. Amber August 19, 2010 at 19:00 #

Again, i ove this dress but it looks weird on her. And why does her head look so small??

• Fashion Critic August 19, 2010 at 19:17 #

I think we’re so used to see so much curly hair when it comes to Julia.

12. mol August 19, 2010 at 19:10 #

I love this dress but I’m feeling the neckline really doesn’t flatter her (as it didn’t in the Dries dress), also the shoes and the hairstyle need to be different – even a bit more color on the lip. She’s so beautiful, it’s a shame her stylist can’t see to all the little details that make everything come together and really work.

13. Goodie August 19, 2010 at 19:16 #

she said she gained weight – probably that’s the reason she looks the way she looks

14. Danielle August 19, 2010 at 19:17 #

This is terrible. The only redeeming quality is the color.

15. Gigi August 19, 2010 at 19:22 #

Very dowdy looking. Matronly. Not flattering. Yes. Going down Meryl Streep’s road.

16. pipsqueak August 19, 2010 at 19:43 #

Julia’s bust and waist sizes have both gone up since she had three children. It clearly showed in “Duplicity.” While I applaud her for staying natural and not buying a new body from Dr. 90210, I think she should stick with clothes that cover the middle part but show off a lot of legs, like that Stella McCartney jacket and DVF shorts. This dress is for older ladies.

• Lee Ann August 19, 2010 at 21:14 #

Sorry pipsqueak but even older ladies don’t deserve this dress.

• Linda August 20, 2010 at 13:35 #

Agree with Lee Ann. This is just horrible all the way through, the fabric, the pattern, the cut, the colour, the slicked back hair making her head look so small…

17. Anna August 19, 2010 at 20:14 #

ok she gained weight, but it’s not a reason to wear such dresses, wich don’t really fit with her new figure :-( she’s so lovely, she should take another fashion’s direction (I think)!

18. nokia August 19, 2010 at 20:35 #

i love love love the dress and the shoes, but the problem is the same for me with the dries dress, both dresses make her look big on the upper body. Am i the only one who think that way?

19. Lee Ann August 19, 2010 at 21:13 #

My God this is just dreadful. Where do I begin: the shoes, the length, the cut,the colour -nothing about this look is remotely nice and don’t get me started on the hair. Plain awful. I know taste is subjective but how anyone can find anything good about this frankly scares me

20. Lee Ann August 19, 2010 at 21:16 #

What the he’ll is that black mark on her hip? Was she burnt by a cattle prod?

• Lee Ann August 19, 2010 at 22:03 #

I think Princess Anne would reject this dress as too matronly

21. Lee Ann August 19, 2010 at 22:22 #

Sorry FC I keep returning to this look hoping that it will grow on me or to see if my earlier comments were too harsh- nope I stand by them except I didn’t mean to hurt anyones feelings who liked the dress.
    But who is to her left wearing the Celine dress and I think a pair of shoes which don’t work with it but look similar to a pair of Dior sandals that I own?

22. Donna August 19, 2010 at 22:36 #

To me this dress makes her look huge. And the color is not working for me either. It reminds me of curtains . But I love her hair and her skin looks great.

23. Camille August 19, 2010 at 22:42 #

Sorry, but simply ‘not wearing black’ doesn’t equal style. She looks shlumpy and matronly. As noted above the neckline is not flattering in this dress or in the Van Noten dress. She desperately needs a V neck-plunging even- and some ‘wow’ jewely, killer heels to boost her style quotient. Let down her hair or wear some one-of-a-kind earrings with that pulled back hair do. She is a fabulous unique beauty and she’s just not bringing it.

24. sim August 20, 2010 at 00:20 #

The dress makes her look old and biiig! Thank God for her beautiful face

25. Amy August 20, 2010 at 01:09 #

I love that she’s experimenting with colour but she’s choosing awful fits! And is anyone else thinking that her bra has been somewhat absent…

26. Raquel August 20, 2010 at 01:52 #

It is not about her weight, it is both the dress and her posture. Hunched shoulders, the lenght is very unflattering…. I like the change, but she still needs to find a new style.

27. Leo August 20, 2010 at 02:02 #

I do like this dress, it’s laid back and reminds me of a party by the sea at sunset in the summer. I think the fit is a bit wrong for her, but she does look good on it.

28. Rebecca August 20, 2010 at 04:18 #

Dressing too old.

29. mochababe73 August 20, 2010 at 05:00 #

I love the dress and the styling. What I don’t like is the length. It’s too long. The dress should really be right above the knee.

• Sharon August 20, 2010 at 22:30 #

Exactly! i think this dress looks really nice on Julia and would look even better if it were a bit shorter. I saw another picture of her where she was either entering or leaving and her posture was so perfect. The dress seemed to fit well and move beautifully with her..

30. kiwi August 20, 2010 at 05:55 #

She’s looking quite terrible in this dress.. Even if she wanted to wear a loose Kimono style dress, with a high neckline etc, she could have chosen a better fabric and colour.. her shoes are boring as well. The first look in the black Stella Jacket and shorts has been the best so far. Also, I strongly feel that weight gain is not the reason for the matronly look.. its the styling

31. Z Fashion Blog August 20, 2010 at 06:54 #

The dress is nice but the look hasn’t been put together properly.

I think she should have done her hair differently for this look and should have added some accessories too.

32. Idealist August 20, 2010 at 07:24 #

I think its the bellow’d sleeves thats mkin this look a little grandma ish! Sumthin ain’t quite workin 4 me

33. gossip_bangkok August 20, 2010 at 12:31 #

I’m not loving the dress, but thought it was alright on her.

34. Polina August 20, 2010 at 13:48 #

Julia is fabulous. Why does she and her stylist make such an anormous effort to hide this fact? I think everything is wrong about this look: style and color, and neck line, and hair. It makes her look older and bigger than she is. I am not loving the head-to-toe black look but this is evn worse. Julia, are you in there? Please come back as a fabulous you!

35. Anissa August 20, 2010 at 15:26 #

I don’t love the dress, but she looks good in it. However the severe pulled up hair makes her head look too small (esp with the loose fit dress). If she had only worn it loose and full (esp w/ her trademark curls), it would have worked so much better! She’s really just not trying…isn’t the movie about a woman who finds new life after getting stuck in a rut? Well someone should make Julia watch her own movie and get her out of this fashion rut!

36. Random2cents August 22, 2010 at 05:21 #

Her stylist must be ready to eat a buckshot. This is when fashion styling becomes a “catch 22″ hell hole of a job. Yes her stylist is probably getting a damn good day rate but at the end of the day who the hell wants to claim this work? This dress looks like a score from the Bea Arthur estate sale.