“I Am Legend” Press Conference – Kim Jung Eun In Balmain

Actress Kim Jung Eun attended the press conference for the drama “I Am Legend” wearing one of my favourite Balmain looks from the Spring 2010 collection.

The skirt of her leather dress looks to have a a few more layers than the model on the runway.

It would take a brave woman like Beyonce to wear this dress without modification. She wore it to LA Reid’s Post Grammy dinner party earlier this year.

With a stand out dress like this, I don’t think Kim needed to over accessorize as she did.

Yes I really don’t like the ankle boots.

Why do people think ankle boots equals “edgy”?

Overall I really don’t like this look. It scream ‘try hard’.

Credit: Style.com & Newsen

In Lala Vasquez Closet - Torn by Ronny Kobo Cosmic Dress

In Lala Vasquez Closet – Torn by Ronny Kobo Cosmic Dress

BlackBerry Torch Launch Party - Lea Michele In Jenni Kayne

BlackBerry Torch Launch Party – Lea Michele In Jenni Kayne

25 Responses to “I Am Legend” Press Conference – Kim Jung Eun In Balmain

1. Lee Ann August 12, 2010 at 12:19 #

To me at least those shoulders already look dated. Robin Givhan, a Pulitzer prize winner for criticism writes a really interesting article in the UK September Elle magazine and offers interesting comments on Balmain.

2. T. August 12, 2010 at 12:22 #

Asian are always so stylish. Like the dress, don’t like the shoes!
    xx.

3. perfumeorpoison August 12, 2010 at 12:41 #

I like the look minus her hair! I don’t even mind the booties, I think they go well with the dress.

4. Linda August 12, 2010 at 13:16 #

Balmain makes some ugly stuff.

• Lee Ann August 12, 2010 at 14:45 #

Yep that’s what Robin Givhans says too

5. Valeria August 12, 2010 at 14:19 #

Asia is always “try hard” – no personality, cliched picks for “edgy” (ankle boots), “alternative” (lennon sunglasses and converses) and “elegant&rich” (everything sparkling from Swarowski and orange Birkin on top – and they shop at Zara thinking that because it’s a foreign brand it’s worth anything for crappy quality). Plus obsession to look cute – her face is all but attitude. Hate the look

• pipsqueak August 12, 2010 at 17:43 #

Well said! Astute observation. Proof lies in the bus loads of Asian tourists arriving at Vuitton, Hermes, Chanel … in Paris. I’ve lived in Asia for 2 years. To be fair, I feel some of it is just a lack of exposure to cultural and artistic things – a phase every country goes through at some point. But … back to the topic, I must say I don’t like this look – very forced. I also don’t care for Robin Givhan’s opinion. She’s criticized Hillary Clinton and Elena Kagan, whose intelligence is applied to far bigger things than fashion.

• Valeria August 13, 2010 at 01:45 #

i still live here – and see the flow from vuitton store to uniqlo and zara (across the street from each other) every day when go to work and back. But generally Asian fashion can be summed up by mickey mouse t-shirt+chanel bag (goodness knows how many knock-offs walk around the planet) + that stupid expression on the face, that they view as “cute”

• kiwi August 13, 2010 at 09:06 #

How racist can you get Valerie and pipsqueak

• Fashion Critic August 13, 2010 at 10:27 #

I think Valerie and pipsqueak comments come observations. I’m sure their intention was not to be seen as racist

• Valeria August 13, 2010 at 02:00 #

as for criticism – the fact that we all follow a fashion blog and even comment on it sort of shows that we care, and absolutely doesn’t indicate that we don’t apply intelligence to bigger things than fashion, does it? So if you’re woman of power and intelligence, that doesn’t automatically protect you from fashion faux pas – or being criticized for it

• Lee Ann August 13, 2010 at 08:51 #

Agreed!

• mol August 13, 2010 at 11:17 #

Asia has many ancient cultures and complex art traditions – there may be some places which, however, lack experience with modern pop/consumer culture, but this is a very different thing!

• Valeria August 13, 2010 at 13:08 #

there is ABSOLUTELY no lack of consumerism, at least in China, where I have lived for the past 4 years. Consumerism here is the extreme, violent version of the definition, and an absolutely mindless one – no one even considers customizing or considering shape (most Asian girls don’t have curves, hence the frilly lacy ridiculousness, and nation is getting fatter, yet it stops no one from wearing skin-clinging mickey-mouse t-shirts and skinny jeans – but that’s not just here), they just copy-paste runway/food/anything (locally produced peanut butter has “American flavour and fashion” written on it, and anything labelled “foreign” still sells crap better than multimillion-dollar campaigns). So remember that Fan Bing Bing’s dress at Cannes? that was culture appreciation, but i haven’t yet seen anything like that IN the country (qipao dresses that my colleagues wear to work don’t count)

6. Symon August 12, 2010 at 14:20 #

GO BEE !!!

7. Giuseppi August 12, 2010 at 15:33 #

Actually, I like the look- to me its weakness is that it reminds me of Tinkerbell. In general, I tend to like Asian fashions and accessories.

8. mikeijames August 12, 2010 at 15:33 #

she even copied the balmain look down to the styling of her hair.

9. mochababe73 August 12, 2010 at 16:31 #

First of all, she didn’t need any jewelry. Secondly, the boots do not look good with this particular dress.
    Finally, she should have worn the runway version and added a little length. The skirt on her version is not ver pretty at all.

10. Hannah August 12, 2010 at 18:05 #

The dress swamps her, if it had less shoulders, a higher neckline (like natasha’s, not high – but highter) no modifications, platforms(aka giambattista high) one huge black or silver cocktail ring a pony taila nd a smokey eye, I would ahv edied. Unfortunately this look falls flat towhatcould have been.

11. Si August 12, 2010 at 23:04 #

I didn’t like the extra layers and these ankle boots! I liked it on the model! Beyonce pulled off the look, but it’s too short on her!

12. Sue Jin August 13, 2010 at 00:16 #

She could have done better. She has the body for the dress.. she should have done something different with her hair and worn different shoes.

I know a lot of people wouldn’t know but she’s been sporting that wavy hair for a while so in fact she didn’t copy the model. She could have posed with more attitude but she really had to cheese it up for the cameras.

She usually wears nice pieces for her show so I’m surprised she chose this.

13. Amber August 13, 2010 at 03:55 #

She must want a part in a Conan the Barbarian movie! This is a look that is made for the runway, a concert stage, or a movie, but not a dinner party.

14. kiwi August 13, 2010 at 09:07 #

FC, ur right, the skirt doesn’t look good with the extra length and I just don’t like the shoes.. period

15. mol August 13, 2010 at 16:15 #

Valeria: my comment was made in response to Pipsqueak’s remark that ‘Asia’ lacked exposure to cultural and artistic things – Asia, that large continent which includes many countries besides China! Other than that, I do not share your strong feelings and I do not wish to comment on them!

16. Sophia August 18, 2010 at 12:47 #

Oh my God, I love this dress, it’s gorgeous!

I think Kim looks nice in it but I prefer the shoes of the model.