Halle Berry For Vogue US September 2010

Halle Berry historically became the first black woman to win Best Actress at the Oscars.

She makes history again today by being only the second black woman to appear on the cover of American Vogue’s September 2010 issue.

Naomi Campbell was the first. If you watched “The September Issue” documentary, you’ll remember how Anna Wintour said back in 1989 it caused “huge controversy to put a black girl on the September cover”.

Oh how times have changed. 21 years on we’re only focusing how beautiful Halle looks on the cover.

Mario Testino shot Halle wearing 6 velvet dresses by Giorgio Armani, Marc Jacobs, Vera Wang and Escada.

Velvet is synonymous with Fall, so it’s the perfect way to put as in a Fall mindset as the Fall looks hit the stores.

Halle talks about being a mum to 2-year-old daughter Nahla and her split with Nahla’s father, Gabriel Aubry.

This 726 page issue goes on sale in the US August 24.

You can read Halle’s whole interview at Vogue.com.

Here are some extracts:

On the so-called Oscar curse: “People win Oscars, and then it seems like they fall off the planet. And that’s partly because a huge expectation walks in the room and sits right down on top of your head. The moment I won the Oscar, I felt the teardown the very next day. I thought, if I’m going down, I’m going down taking chances and daring to risk. Hence …Catwoman.”

On her breakup with Aubry: “It’s just that you realize you are not meant to go the distance with everybody. … We were meant to bring this amazing little person into the world. And I think that’s why we came together. And because of that, we are going to be together forever, all three of us.”

On the biggest misconception people have about her: “That I am this brooding, twisted, lovesick person who just can’t get it right in life. Every story about me is so heavy and dramatic. That’s not how I do life. But that’s the impression people have, and that’s what keeps getting reiterated. As if I’m still stuck in all the muck of the past. And I am so not.”

On asking Nahla to say Berry’s name in case she ever got lost: “She thought about it for a second, and finally she said, ‘Halle Blueberries!’ Blueberries are her favorite fruit. … I’m just glad she didn’t say ‘Halle Blackberry.’ ”

Credit: Style.com & Mario Testino for Vogue

BlackBerry Torch Launch Party - Christina Ricci

BlackBerry Torch Launch Party – Christina Ricci

BlackBerry Torch Launch Party - Anna Kendrick In Alice + Olivia

BlackBerry Torch Launch Party – Anna Kendrick In Alice + Olivia

25 Responses to Halle Berry For Vogue US September 2010

1. Amaka August 12, 2010 at 15:59 #

I wish it was Iman on the cover

2. mm August 12, 2010 at 16:01 #

The cover shot is my favorite. She is gorgeous! The haircut reminded me of Halle in Boomerang towards the end of the movie!

3. Terry August 12, 2010 at 16:13 #

She’s flawless! And the haircut!!! Pure class. Totally love it.

4. mochababe73 August 12, 2010 at 16:13 #

Beautiful as usual. I am glad that they chose someone like halle as opposed to some little starlet just starting out. It’s such an honor to be on the cover of the September issue of Vogue.

5. pipsqueak August 12, 2010 at 16:54 #

Fabulous!!! Times have changed, even though there are still many idiots in the masses who made a big deal out of Vogue’s April 2008 cover featuring LeBron James and Gisele Bundchen or criticized Cat Deeley’s wardrobe. I’m just thrilled that finally Vogue put a beautiful woman, a style icon and a truly accomplished person on its cover, let alone the Sept cover. This restored my faith in the magazine to some extent.

6. hgf August 12, 2010 at 17:11 #

it’s like a sixtees photoshoot i love the photo where she wears marc jacobs and the one with the dark purple giorgio armani . the composition in both is brilliant!

7. Lee Ann August 12, 2010 at 18:09 #

She is stunning am trying not to look at the other pictures though cause it’s like opening your presents before Christmas and a friend is bringing my vogue to London on the 25th

8. LizLemooooon August 12, 2010 at 19:12 #

Do Not Want that cover photo but the inside shots are fabulous. She looks a little like Louise Brooks. The velvet dress is gorgeous and it’s great to have her on the cover but I still think Vogue has a long way to go before they can catch up with the rest of the world in terms of diversity and progress. This is a good step

• michelle August 12, 2010 at 19:47 #

i agree with your statement on vogue and diversity.im not fond of the wig, but i love in her in armani

9. dressaddict August 12, 2010 at 20:05 #

Halle is beyond gorgeous. Ther are no words to describe her beauty and talent (loved her in The Monster’s Ball). I love her in this luscious velvet.
    Off topic: praises also for Hattie McDaniel, the first afro-american woman winner of a Best Supporting Actress Award at the Oscars, for the Mammy part/Gone with the Wind.

10. Mol August 12, 2010 at 20:12 #

Very art deco feel, not my favorite period, but Halle looks beautiful, love the cover.

11. Emma August 12, 2010 at 20:27 #

She looks better in the dress than the model does in every single shot. Not crazy about the wig, but stunning nonetheless!

12. Sue Jin August 13, 2010 at 00:07 #

So, I finally watched that documentary! I felt so clueless as to why the September issue was so important! But now I know. hehehe.

But I can’t believe she’s the only the second person! Congratulations to Halle for the achievement but I’m honestly surprised she wasn’t on the cover earlier. I’m still surprised that there have only been two black women on the cover.

Halle Berry is so beautiful! I can’t wait to buy this issue!

• Fashion Critic August 13, 2010 at 07:19 #

Only 2 black women on the cover of the September issue

There have been black women on the cover before eg Jennifer Hudson

• Sue Jin August 13, 2010 at 14:01 #

Big mistake on my part. I didn’t even read it correctly!

13. mikeijames August 13, 2010 at 04:58 #

i love her edgy hair! motherhood has left her even more gorgeous.

14. kiwi August 13, 2010 at 09:21 #

Great cover photo.. love her in the Armani and Marc jacobs shots

15. MissMarlboroLites August 13, 2010 at 12:15 #

Does anyone know when this will be available in the UK?

• Fashion Critic August 13, 2010 at 12:24 #

usually arrives the first week of the month in the UK, so we’ll get it around the 7th September.

16. Victoria August 13, 2010 at 16:36 #

Hi FC, may I know why the September issue of fashion magazines is more important?

• Fashion Critic August 13, 2010 at 16:42 #

if you watch the September issue documentary it will explain it in better terms.

17. Marvel August 13, 2010 at 19:55 #

I dont like the cover shot at all. Her hair looks terrible

18. dee August 19, 2010 at 20:29 #

I don’t like the hair. I never got how people consider her so beautiful. Her looks are just average to me.

19. lou August 19, 2010 at 23:27 #

If this is only the 2nd time a black woman has graced the cover of Vogue things have not moved on that much!

• Fashion Critic August 19, 2010 at 23:50 #

second September issue covered by a black woman