06.08.10

Emma Watson’s New Haircut

Emma Watson posted a recent picture of herself on facebook sporting a cropped 60s style haircut which is very Twiggy and Mia Farrow-esqe.

She said to her fans:

Dear all.
Cut my hair off a few days ago… Feels incredible.
I love it. I’ve wanted to do this for years and years; it’s the most liberating thing ever.
Hope you like.
Big love from Emma x

Like it? I love it Emma.

In a world where hair extensions on young stars are becoming increasingly tacky looking (see Mischa Barton and Miley Cyrus) this is a totally refreshing look from the young British actress.

I’ve often wanted to go for the chop, but have been too scared to do so.

She totally pulls off this look, so she gets nothing but admiration from me.

Credit: Emma Watson Facebook

In Jessica Szohr's Closet - Nanette Lepore Ikat Dress

In Jessica Szohr’s Closet – Nanette Lepore Ikat Dress

"The Late Show with David Letterman" - Julia Roberts In Stella McCartney

“The Late Show with David Letterman” – Julia Roberts In Stella McCartney

49 Responses to Emma Watson’s New Haircut

1. Taylor August 6, 2010 at 09:03 #

Love it, she’s gorgeous

2. Alina August 6, 2010 at 09:07 #

LOVE IT!

I got a feeling (ohooo) that she’s going to be a fashion icon.She’s not afraid and she has the grace to pull of almost every look.

3. Terry August 6, 2010 at 09:15 #

I’ve always loved this pixie haircut (so reminiscent of Mia Farrow’s hairstyle in “Rosemary’s Baby” by Roman Polanski), and she actually looks beautiful.

4. laura D August 6, 2010 at 09:46 #

She has the delicate face to make this work. I think it’s perfect in this shot with her freckles showing. Plus, it really draws attention to those lovely eyes.

5. Mar August 6, 2010 at 09:47 #

It’s very Twiggy, Mia Farrow-esque as you said, and it looks amazing on her. My short hair icon has always been Edie Sedgwick. She looks incredible.

6. lisa August 6, 2010 at 09:58 #

A-MAZING! Absolutely adore this look on her. Shows off her fabulous eyes!

7. kiwi August 6, 2010 at 10:07 #

She is looking lovely-has theface and the attitude to carry it off

8. ZzaRaZza August 6, 2010 at 10:15 #

Love it, she’s got face for it, especially the eyes

9. Jillian August 6, 2010 at 10:15 #

This is quite dramatic to happen all in one go… girls normally work their way towards this.

But I understand why she’s done it — for the first time in her life she has the opportunity to do what she wants with her hair — without having to worry about continuity. So she wants to do something dramatic!

She’ll probably enjoy this for a while and then grow it out a bit.

I agree about the hair extensions though… ratty hip length fake hair is so not a good look.

10. eve August 6, 2010 at 10:59 #

LOVE It she looks beautiful not everyone can pull off that hairstyle but she does it well

11. Windsor August 6, 2010 at 11:06 #

The first thing that came to my mind was, Carey Mulligan.

• Weber from Brazil August 6, 2010 at 14:22 #

Me too
      she looks A LOT like Carey Mulligan
      equally beautiful and classy

12. shubby doo August 6, 2010 at 11:25 #

She looks drop dead gorgeous…wow!

13. Elise August 6, 2010 at 11:34 #

She is a beautiful girl, but this haircut is awful, I love the fact that she cut her hair, but another cut would have been much better, like Michelle Williams’s

14. Vickie August 6, 2010 at 11:45 #

I cut my hair off a few months ago, and Emma will probably notice the same thing I did: it’s soooooo low-maintenance and fun!

She looks stunning, very Jean Seberg.

• mol August 6, 2010 at 14:25 #

Yes, jean Seberg, good call! I love her new look, smart girl Emma is….

15. Lora August 6, 2010 at 11:53 #

Not a fan. It makes her look ill.

• zoe August 6, 2010 at 22:50 #

rofl! this comment made me laugh. :)

16. Marvel August 6, 2010 at 12:19 #

I do like that she did something dramatic with her hair I just wished she hadn’t done it SO short. I would have liked to have seen like Rihanna’s in her ‘Take a Bow’ video.
    I do like the hair though and in a couple of months it will hopefully be at that Rihanna stage.

17. kimmy August 6, 2010 at 12:32 #

Gorgeous. She should totally support the mod look. She’s the next Twiggy.

18. Linda August 6, 2010 at 12:41 #

Awesome!

19. keira August 6, 2010 at 12:43 #

she doesn’t look good.
    she isn’t the right girl to pull this off

• Hannah August 6, 2010 at 16:43 #

Agree, I hate when people try to be edgy, sh ehadnicer hair before, and she doesn;t have the right face or styl eot pull this off. I am begining to miss real hairon people nowadays, when everyone seems to have extensions or less than an inch of hair. NOT a fan at all.

• Mima August 8, 2010 at 08:45 #

Agree too. Trying to look edgy and failed and trying to copy Carey Mulligan ( who looks awesome with it) and it just looks wrong. She has always been unique why is she trying to follow the crowd? Not a fan at all.

20. ullis August 6, 2010 at 12:56 #

I love the idea, but Emma has…sorry, had gorgeous hair and her hair was maybe her best trait so just to cut it off like that was stupid! Instead she should have cut it shoulder-length which I bet would have been as liberating.

21. Lee Ann August 6, 2010 at 13:28 #

A couple things worry me about this cut. I do think it suits her features and especially her eyes BUT and its a big one I don’t think it suits her physique. In pictures that show her from head to toe, she is too square in body to carry the look off . Also more worrisome is that her hair is too wavy ,thick and coarse . It is not the right texture. You can see that by the way the left side is lying or rather not lying properly. If she is going to be short she needs to do it like Michelle Williams not Victoria Beckham. You need rather fine thin hair to work this hair.

• mari August 6, 2010 at 20:10 #

I like that she cut it this short. As she said, she has not has the chance to do anyuthing with her hair since she was a little girl, or like ever.
      Most of us have had the luvck of doing whatever with our hair (damage it with dyes, having horrible haircuts once ina while, etc) and noone complains or becomes an issue on any celebrity blog.
      Now that she’s in college, she can do this and she maybe will do more stuff like this. It does not look that great? well, it looks much better than most of the hair other girls are wearing and it will grow back. She’s not Felicity where she will lose her appeal with her hair gone.

22. Christy August 6, 2010 at 13:29 #

I’m so sad she’s done this! Yes it looks good on her, but I’m already SO over this pixie cut on Carey Mulligan, Mia Wasikowska and Michelle Williams to an extent – I’m disappointed we now have to add her, whose fashion choices I always find so interesting, to the pixie cut list :-(

23. Elisa August 6, 2010 at 13:38 #

This is the most amazing haircut I have seen this year! FREAKING FANTASTIC!

24. mm August 6, 2010 at 14:40 #

love it. But when you cut your hair this short you must make a great effort to wear feminine clothes or else you can look like a man. But i doubt emma will have this problem.

25. Ev August 6, 2010 at 14:53 #

Even though I don’t like short cuts in general, it definitely brings out something different in Emma. I hope in a few weeks, when her hair would grow out a bit, I will be loving it! :)

26. Angie August 6, 2010 at 15:19 #

She looks gorgeous! LOVE IT!!

27. pipsqueak August 6, 2010 at 15:59 #

I don’t love it as much as a pixie cut on Carey Mulligan or Michelle Williams, but I still love it and admire Emma’s courage to be herself. It does remind me of Twiggy a bit, perhaps because of her eyelashes here. I can’t wait to see the “new” Emma more!

28. Mikaëla August 6, 2010 at 16:05 #

I’m generally not a fan of short haircuts, but I am a fan of people realizing a look they really like. I think you’re sooo right about those ratty extensions (let’s not forget taylor momsen), why do people insist on wearing them?! People seem to think that long hair = beautiful. but you have to do what fits you, your face, your style, your physique. There is not one formula. I hate it when i see all those clones (tight dress, black pumps, long wavy extensions, smokey eyes, so uninspiring)

29. Fashion Interlude August 6, 2010 at 16:20 #

I loved it on Victoria Beckham and i love it on her, would have never imagined, but i like it.

30. Giuseppi August 6, 2010 at 16:27 #

It’s like Audrey Hepburn- she is fabulous with this look!

31. WendyB August 6, 2010 at 17:11 #

She looks beautiful. I had ultra-short-hair 20 years ago or so http://wendybrandes.com/blog/2008/09/been-there-done-that/

My hairstylist keeps trying to get me to do it again, but …20 years have passed. I don’t need to show off that much of my face now.

• Fashion Critic August 6, 2010 at 17:13 #

Really like it on you. I wish I could pull it off.

Something very Desperately Seeking Susan about that pic :D

• Lee Ann August 6, 2010 at 19:50 #

Isn’t there just?

32. Sharon August 6, 2010 at 19:39 #

Love it! She is just adorable with her new haircut. She definitely brings back memories of Mia Farrow, Twiggy and Audrey Hepburn. I hope she keeps it this way for a while.

33. mol August 7, 2010 at 00:07 #

To wendyB – I love your old short do – adorable!

34. Raquek August 7, 2010 at 00:24 #

Yeah, yeah, her hair probably isn’t straigth enough or thin for this cut, and when it starts growing it will be all over the place, so what? She is young and pretty, has a fantastic skin and is enjoying herself. Oh, to be that age again.

Go, Emma, go!

35. 2C August 7, 2010 at 01:56 #

I wanted to love it…I thought I would
    …but I don’t :( I think someone hit the nail on the head when they said her hair isn’t the right texture for it. But who am I to judge good on her for doing it bet it feels great to not be told what to do with every inch of your body!

36. Sue Jin August 7, 2010 at 12:21 #

I had to do a double take!
    Man.. do her eyes pop or what? She looks beautiful. And the fact that she looks comfortable with it… she makes her look more gorgeous.

37. Jen August 7, 2010 at 13:44 #

She looks fantastic! though I wonder why she couldn’t have worn a wig for the HP movies if she’s wanted to do it earlier. Or maybe getting wigged up before going on set is its own kind of chore.

38. Pezza August 7, 2010 at 18:54 #

I think that the inital idea of this was brilliant, and had she pulled it off would be something to marvel at. However i think the cut is too short for her face and makes her petite features much smaller. This therefore does not exquentuate them. However, having said so, She will most likely pull it off and when it grows longer, i’d love to see her pull off a look simullar to Frankie Standford. She seems to have the self courage to pull that off. This however looks too short and needed to be re-thought for her face and features.

39. JJ August 7, 2010 at 22:40 #

Love it, been there with the hair-liberation thing. It ages her to a point but she has this maturity about her that makes it fit who she is and its stunning to me. I see great things for her in the future – especially in fashion

40. Ayesha August 9, 2010 at 15:39 #

it’s nice but,i dont’ know………..i liked her hair a lot better before,let’s hope this works well on the redcarpet as much as it is working here………

41. Hmm November 17, 2010 at 17:23 #

If not for the mascara and the shaped eyebrows, I’d think she’s a young boy! The new haircut on the one hand drives more attention toward her face but on the other hand I don’t think I’d recognize her on the street!