Celebrities Love Simone Camille Bags

I only recently become aware of Simone Camille when their range of bags were added to Net-A-Porter US and Net-A-Porter International two weeks ago.

You’ll maybe surprised to learn that they have been restocked several times as the bags instantly sell-out.

I’m a bit behind because celebs like Miley Cyrus, Nicole Richie and Jennifer Meyer have been fans of these bags for a while.

Yesterday Julia Roberts arrived for her appearance on “The Late Show with David Letterman” wearing a black tee and J Brand jeans which is quite a typical look for her, but it was her Simone Camille which stood out.

The range of bags have been created by LA stylist and globetrotter Simone Harouche.

She launched her line of handcrafted bags last year after a bespoke design for Nicole Richie created a huge demand.

A typical bag from the Simone Camille is multi coloured, embroidered by hand, made of cotton and decorated with coins, mirrors, pompoms and bead embellishments.

I wouldn’t be surprised if your initial reaction was that these bags are hideous, but I quite like them as I love anything that has a touch of ethnic flavour.

If you would like to have your own made-to-order bag, Simone Camille will be happy to create your custom bag.

Credit: Getty, Fame Pictures & Bauer Griffin

Jennifer Lopez For Glamour US September 2010

Jennifer Lopez For Glamour US September 2010

"The Karate Kid" Tokyo Premiere - Jada Pinkett-Smith In Rafeal Cennamo

“The Karate Kid” Tokyo Premiere – Jada Pinkett-Smith In Rafeal Cennamo

27 Responses to Celebrities Love Simone Camille Bags

1. Jennesia August 5, 2010 at 18:11 #

These are way to expensive okay…The Indian Trade shows in Trinidad sell similar ethnic bags for $50tt which is about 8USD

2. Michal August 5, 2010 at 18:14 #

I bought dozens of these bags to give as gifts to all my friends…. in India. They cost me 60 indian rupees, which are the equivalent of one dollar each. ONE.And that’s when I didnt haggle at the market….

• Aicha August 11, 2010 at 20:12 #

Marry me! I was about to make the same point. From what I can see, a lot of the fabrics look Indian.

3. rashmi August 5, 2010 at 18:20 #

These look very familiar to the bags we have here in India… Handcrafted in Jaipur… n beleive me they cost really less…

4. Ava August 5, 2010 at 18:25 #

I really like these bags. I love following the trends that celebrities put out there. But, a trip to India may be to hard for me, anywhere else I could get them? Thanks!

• Monkey August 5, 2010 at 19:53 #

Indian dress shops? If you live in a major city, but they often limited in range.

Personally i am over this kind of bags, had too many of them when i was younger. Good to see i am not the only one who noticed this rip off.
      I guess celebrities have to get the most expensive thing, even if the price isn’t justified.

5. Nitasha August 5, 2010 at 18:55 #

“The bags are created from vintage textiles Simone has collected from around the world, which I suppose justifies the £1,300 + price tag for a large bag.” Wrong. These bags are made completely in India as the mirrorwork and other textiles used in them are unique to the regions of Gujarat and Rajasthan. I don’t think that hanging a few shells and beads here and there justifies the price, but when you have Hollywood celebrities willing to dish out that kind of money, good for the designer i guess! For all of you looking for cheaper alternatives,
    here’s a website where you can order similar bags for $5-$10.

• stephanie August 29, 2010 at 01:56 #

I would be thrilled to go to the website you referenced, but I don’t see it listed.

6. Ev August 5, 2010 at 19:29 #

Sorry, but in my eyes nothing can justify the £1,300+ for a hideous looking bag.

7. shruti August 5, 2010 at 20:03 #

Agree with most of the comments above. Its like the designer just bought them from a street corner in India and put her name on the bags. The work comes from Gujarat and Rajasthan but the bags are available almost everywhere in India. Be it on a street corner or a handicraft shop. All college-going kids have atleast one of these bags and they cost peanuts. This is how the workers who create these ethnic pieces get exploited. They never get their fair share of what these kind of crafts get sold for.

8. pipsqueak August 5, 2010 at 20:46 #

I’ve seen Julia Roberts with such bags in tabloid photos. Thank you for naming the designer today! It’s great to be in-the-know, though I’m not crazy about the bags – not into sequins, beads etc. I don’t know if the price tag can be fully justified. In a way, it’s like another exotic product out to fool us westerners, esp. the idle rich. But I’d also argue that Simone’s design enhancements, plus customs duty on textiles, license to sell and other costs, did add to the price. In NYC, say, a dress I purchased from Shanghai Tang is definitely more polished than a cheaper version I could’ve got in Chinatown or from a trip to China.

9. Lee Ann August 5, 2010 at 21:05 #

Let’s see 1300£ for a cloth bag or 1300£ for a calf skin 3D Dior bag?
    Trust me the only reason why these celebs love this bag is because they were given them. I bought the same one in Mauritius for about 6 quid.

10. khush August 5, 2010 at 21:29 #

agree with shruti available in india for a 1/100 of the price at the most ridiculous

11. Marvel August 5, 2010 at 22:48 #

Having been to India and Pakistan, there are market stall bags that are very similliar and I agree that it looks like she has just added her label and made it SO much more expensive. Im surprised that a new designer can retail her bags at that price.

12. NOUR August 6, 2010 at 01:28 #

i just got back from morocco, they have similar looking bags in there for almost 20$ !

13. mochababe73 August 6, 2010 at 04:31 #

I am not into the whole bohemian style. However, I love the bag’s vibrant colors. In the states, the starting price for one of these bags is $950. The first person I saw with one (Miley Cyrus) was months ago.
    For this price, I’d rather get another Marc Jacobs.

14. Raquel August 6, 2010 at 05:47 #

Vinateg textiles from around the world? Riiiiiiight.

15. Lalitha August 6, 2010 at 06:25 #

We have so many talented craftspeople in India…I am glad that they get to showcase their skills….and I hope the artisans in India received a fair-share of the price of the bag!

16. jdawg August 6, 2010 at 07:21 #

Miley’s bag in particular looks like a ton of bags sold in Laos…again, for a fraction of her price.

17. gossip_bangkok August 6, 2010 at 07:41 #

I love these types of bags. These bags reminded me some tribal works in Thailand.

18. lisa August 6, 2010 at 10:02 #

Love the style of bag but would be alot cheaper to hop on a flight somewhere exotic and get a locally made version.

19. kiwi August 6, 2010 at 10:09 #

25$ FC, sold on the streets in Delhi, plus all crafts shops in India especillay in the Gujrat and rajasthan emporiums :)

20. sumee August 6, 2010 at 13:57 #

PS we get similar bags in INDIA for like 10-15 $ ..super cheap .many sizes to choose from..nothing lustworthy for me here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Venus August 6, 2010 at 14:44 #

These bags are available for much cheaper prices all over india and other countries, and its very clear that the designer has just copied these designs and put her label on them. But i guess these stars are sporting these bags only because they cost so much, they might have not even looked at them if they were priced as 10$.

Julia Roberts had recently been to India for a movie shooting, maybe she bought one of these there ???

22. :Diti August 7, 2010 at 21:37 #

It used to be a childhood fetish… never bothered shelling out more than $5 on those.. wouldnt even Bother buyin one now… and at THAT price.. NEVERR… in case i have to buy…i’d rather pay a visit

to my hometown.. and get it custom made and atleast pay the poor craftsman his fair share of the price!!!

23. swati August 8, 2010 at 11:58 #

oh dear god! ….. what a ridiculously easy way to get rich …. buy something for 5$, give flower-y descriptions like exotic textiles, ethnic craftsmanship, handmade blah blah blah ….. and sell it in another part of the world for 1000+$ ……..

… everyone used to carry one of these at some point in college …. to think that people are spending 200 times that amount on it just bec there is a designer name stamped on it

24. jane August 8, 2010 at 20:28 #

does anyone really believe the hype around these $20 bags? seriously.