“So You Think You Can Dance” – Cat Deeley In Lanvin

On Wednesday night Cat Deeley hosted the Top 6 live performance show of FOX’s “So You Think You Can Dance”.

The British host has great style. She’s proved this on many occasions, but I question her judgment with this Lanvin Spring 2010 dress.

My problem is not the nude spaghetti strapped Lanvin dress with layers of red chiffon, but her decision to wear a dress like this on a  TV show when the audience just won’t get it.

A dress like this deserves a red carpet in Cannes, LA, New York, Paris or London where we could appreciate it on a grander scale.

Cat opted to wear her hair back and paired her dress with nude Jimmy Choo Private sandals.

What do you think?

Credit: Style.com & PA

Nicola Peltz In Balmain - 'Transformers: Age of Extinction' Rio de Janeiro Premiere

Nicola Peltz In Balmain – ‘Transformers: Age of Extinction’ Rio de Janeiro Premiere

Late Night With Jimmy Fallon - January Jones In Marchesa

Late Night With Jimmy Fallon – January Jones In Marchesa

25 Responses to “So You Think You Can Dance” – Cat Deeley In Lanvin

1. Ariel July 23, 2010 at 15:51 #

Love the dress & the shoes together. Its far better than Cameron Diaz’s looks this week.

2. Vicky July 23, 2010 at 16:23 #

She always wears stuff like this on SYTYCD. That’s why I love her. She doesn’t play it safe with her fashion choices.

3. Anissa July 23, 2010 at 16:25 #

She dresses herself for each show and she’s always very fashion forward and doesn’t play it safe. The audience may not “get it” but they are used to it by now, and it’s introducing them to new ideas (other than bandage dresses) ;)
    I love how much she changes it up each show!

4. Mahima July 23, 2010 at 16:30 #

i think it looks amazing, she’s never one to be shy and it totally fits her personality and style.
    i think its great.

5. Marvel July 23, 2010 at 16:31 #

Its far too fussy for a host, Like you said, would have loved this look on the red carpet.
    If she wore this in the red carpet and posed like Blake Lively, this look would have been a lot better.

• Fashion Critic July 23, 2010 at 16:48 #

looked much better

6. Gigi July 23, 2010 at 16:38 #

It doesn’t flatter her figure. I think it makes her look too round in the middle.

California girl

7. Inga Svensson July 23, 2010 at 16:50 #

I think you made a good point….the same time maybe we should give the audience a little more credit? ;)

8. Ally July 23, 2010 at 17:43 #

I usually like what Cat wears, but I just can’t get into Lanvin. To each their own.

FC is right about the audience though. Pretty much all of the blogs that recap the show have made fun of her dress this week.

• Fashion Critic July 23, 2010 at 18:28 #

There you have it.

I hadn’t read that but I guessed that was the case. It’s the same with Zoe and her Givenchy Oscar dress. It’s not for the masses and they don’t get it, with all due respect to them.

• Ally July 23, 2010 at 19:28 #

Yeah, the bloggers were really mean to it.

Entertainment Weekly: “I expected the craziest thing to come out of this week of So You Think You Can Dance would be Cat’s heinously unflattering bloody scarf frock.”

9. Mol July 23, 2010 at 17:50 #

Neither Cat nor Natalie pulled this complicated dress off IMO, but Cat’s version is the least offensive. I watched that show and it didn’t feel like Cat was completely comfortable in her choice; still, I’m grateful always for her more adventurous style, she’s quite lovely.

10. Z Fashion Blog July 23, 2010 at 18:08 #

I love this dress but she just doesn’t have the grace to wear it.

11. mochababe73 July 23, 2010 at 18:32 #

Natalie’s version of the dress is much better than on the Cat or the model. Less fabric makes the difference.
    I don’t like it on Cat. It makes her look huge. Everything else camouflages her middle and makes her look curvy. This makes her look fat.

12. victoria July 23, 2010 at 18:32 #

I loooved this look. I love watching sytycd for the talent but especially to see what amazingly beautiful creation Cat will be wearing!! Love this woman’s style and grace!!

13. Clancy from Dallas July 23, 2010 at 20:08 #

I call Cat the new Carrie because she has always worn over the top runway looks (including accessories and shoes) and pulled it off on stage! My favorite part of the show is her close up at the beginning of the show just to see what she’s cooked up this week! (or her stylist, whatever) Either way I’m team Cat!

14. pipsqueak July 23, 2010 at 20:48 #

I love this look! Cat hardly disappoints me. I agree that it doesn’t appeal to the “critics” of the show. The masses are sartorially retarded and the EW blogger should see a shrink instead of employing ridicule. As Anna Wintour has said, high fashion makes people feel nervous and insecure, hence they dismiss it.

15. Sharon July 24, 2010 at 01:30 #

Up til now, I haven’t been fond of this dress on anyone, but I’ve got to admit she looks really good. Or maybe I’m just giving her extra points because she’s wearing my all-time favorite shoes.

16. Yves July 24, 2010 at 01:43 #

for some reason she looks weird and oddly proportion in the picture. hmm maybe its just the picture.

17. gossip_bangkok July 24, 2010 at 02:45 #

I like the dress on the model, but when it’s on Cat, it looks puffy and unflattering. I do love Cat’s style, but I guess, that night wasn’t her best.

18. kiwi July 24, 2010 at 07:27 #

Somehow it does not work here-the dress itself looks very different compared to the runway look and how Natalie looked-I had loved Natalie’s look

19. laura D July 24, 2010 at 10:20 #

I thought she wore it poorly – the flounces weren’t arranged quite right, and it ended up looking poofy rather than interesting. Also, the tan under-lay looked like a cheap camisole on TV – the straps were not good in close shots.

I usually love her choices, this one I didn’t care for.

(I thought what she wore for the elimination show was more flattering, but too young – more something for a 22 year old.)

• Elbe August 3, 2010 at 06:58 #

I agree. I usually love Cat’s choices but I was not a fan of this dress. I think the concept behind the dress is great but the underlay always seemed to look bunched up and as if it wasn’t laying quite right. Better execution could make this dress amazing (that goes for all 3 versions – Cat, Natalie, and the model).

20. vuitton July 26, 2010 at 14:31 #

She always wears stuff like this on SYTYCD.