12.07.10 Advertising

Madonna For Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2010

You’ll remember a few weeks ago we saw Madonna with a man old enough to be her son strolling through Harlem, New York shooting the ad campaign for Dolce & Gabbana’s Fall 2010 collection.

The campaign shot by Steven Klein follows same theme from the Spring 2010 campaign which also features Madonna.

I’ve gotta admit, I was very surprised at the results from these beautiful black & white pictures.  I much prefer them to the Spring campaign  as the mood isn’t so sombre.

Madonna actually looks amazing – yes I’m aware the pictures are heavily photoshopped – but she does.

The campaign was inspired by the Italian Masterpieces of Cinematography and Madonna’s character is inspired Anna Magnani, who is said to be her icon.

The images reference an imaginary movie, shot in a non specific Italian city describing the beauty and simple family life of an ordinary woman with her different roles as mother, daughter, granddaughter, cousin, and sister.

Madonna is portrayed in scenes such as shopping in a street market with her beloved son – similar to the Magnani character in “Mamma Roma” – enjoying the Sunday family lunch, and when her granny is sewing her skirt seam.

The new fall winter Dolce & Gabbana campaign represents a woman in a more human dimension underlining her natural beauty.

Are you in love with this campaign as much as I am?

[nggallery id=600]

Credit: Steven Klein Courtesy of Dolce & Gabbana

Zoey Deutch In Christian Dior - 'Vampire Academy' Sydney Premiere

Zoey Deutch In Christian Dior – ‘Vampire Academy’ Sydney Premiere

Pre-ESPYs House Party - Serena Williams In Dolce & Gabbana

Pre-ESPYs House Party – Serena Williams In Dolce & Gabbana

11 Responses to Madonna For Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2010

1. SergioA July 12, 2010 at 19:21 #

I dont know.. this campaigns really fails to impress me, and its sad because it was such a beautiful collection… I think is in fact madonna the one who brings this campaing to tears.. Yes, Shes the queen, she represents a timeless beauty and figure, but shes not a good model… this campaign belonged to natasha, mariacarla or any other model who represents the Dolce & Gabbana woman.

• pipsqueak July 12, 2010 at 20:25 #

Agreed. I like the cinematic concept of the campaign, but the casting was wrong. It should’ve used a celebrated actress who can morph into her characters or a model who’s an abstract person to us. Madonna is so out there. She have been through many successful image reinventions (and far more original than Lady Gaga in that regard), but you always know it’s her – her ego and appetite for attention. This ad looks like another one of her flops.

2. Z FASHION BLOG July 12, 2010 at 20:29 #

I’m totally in love with this campaign.

I saw all the images and they are wonderful!
    My favourite is of Madonna trying to hold a rooster still.

I liked the Spring/Summer 2010 one a lot, but the photography of this one is even more interesting and the Italian cinematography theme is great!

Two thumbs up Madonna and D&G!

3. Mol July 12, 2010 at 20:56 #

The images are definitly beautiful, but in an uneasy way for me – Madonna seems disconnected from the other ‘family’ members, concerned with connecting with the camera for her own self absorbed reasons, and not as part of a family at all. I guess it is because she really can’t act. I do admire her for many reasons, but being part of an ensemble is something she will never pull off, although maybe the ‘storyline’ really doesn’t matter, it’s about the clothes after all and certainly the sultry aspect of D&G is something she can pull off.

• Raquel July 13, 2010 at 00:34 #

I absolutely agree with you here.

4. Dorian Gray July 12, 2010 at 22:00 #

I think this isn’a flop ad. I think that Madonna + Dolce&Gabbana is a very good partnership. I live in Milan and everybody look at Dolce&Gabbana windows a little more now that she is part of them. An ad should present the collection and steal the attention of the viewer, just like this campaign does.

5. maria July 12, 2010 at 23:48 #

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Madonna is THE perfect model for this campaign.. mature, womanly, voluptuous!! Tres sexy!

A skinny teenage model would NEVER do these old school Italian scenes justice!

6. alannah July 13, 2010 at 00:50 #

i agree with you, she looks beautiful in it.x

7. Cheryl July 13, 2010 at 11:19 #

I’m loving this campaign more than her stint at Louis Vuitton.This brings Madonna back to her roots rather than always seeming to be trying too hard. She is in her 50s and this brings her full circle…

8. Katie July 13, 2010 at 13:04 #

FC I too adore this campaign, i am a massive Madonna fan, but she looks utterly flawless even if she is photoshopped, she is one of the most powerful sexy women on the planet and is perfect for this campaign

9. Jimmy July 13, 2010 at 23:44 #

This is a beautiful and haunting campaign. I love the images. Madonna was a perfect choice.