Menu

06.04.10

“Lend Me A Tenor” Broadway Opening Night – Mary-Kate Olsen & Ashley Olsen

This weekend Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen attended the “Lend Me A Tenor” Broadway opening night in New York.

I’m sorry, but I struggle to take these two seriously as fashion icons.

I’ve never understood the appeal, and I don’t think I ever will with all due respect to them and their fans.

Despite Easter being all about Spring whites and fluffy bunnies the twins looked like they were on their way to a Tim Burton convention.

Although Mary-Kate tried to break-up her black gothic glam head-to-toe look with a white Proenza Schouler clutch, this look is still too dark for my liking – although Ashley dress with the bows is cute.

The biggest question is why did they need to wear those ridiculously big sunglasses at night?

Credit: London Features

"Paper Man" New York Screening - Emma Stone In Stella McCartney

“Paper Man” New York Screening – Emma Stone In Stella McCartney

Who Wore Victoria Beckham Collection Better? Victoria Beckham, Kim Nam Joo or Melanie Chisholm

34 Responses to “Lend Me A Tenor” Broadway Opening Night – Mary-Kate Olsen & Ashley Olsen

1. ~**juDee**~ April 7, 2010 at 15:26 #

Booooo-hissss! Get off the stage MK+Ashley. I’ve been long over it. “Tim Burton convention” lolol…took the words right out of my mouth 😀

2. mol April 7, 2010 at 14:19 #

The sunglasses are too much, it’s true, but I also wish they could have been photographed apart as I really love Ashley’s dress!

3. robbie April 7, 2010 at 10:50 #

they bore me so much. they used to be so cute and stylish now its just TRAGIC! i do love the dress ashley is wearing.

4. mimi April 7, 2010 at 10:09 #

I’ve always loved Ashley’s style. I think she should be considered apart from MK.

5. antoneLLina April 7, 2010 at 09:47 #

i usually really love them.
    but on this occasion i agree with you, i don’t like this outfit. too black, and what about the sunglasses?
    i know that you will hate me FC, but you can’t deny that sometimes you like them too. for example Ashley at ‘The Model As Muse Embodying Fashion Costume’ last year was STUNNING and Mary-Kate Olsen at the 24th Annual Film Independent’s Spirit Awards looks so cute. i know that their style is not simple and usual and “between the lines”, but you all CAN’T say that they have no fashion sense. maybe for all of you they aren’t fashion icons, but you can’t deny that they have a lot of style, regardless of your taste.

6. Regina April 7, 2010 at 09:13 #

Michael K from Dlisted call them “Blind trolls”,i completely agree with him.Also they looks like blind mouses from Shrek

7. Anna April 7, 2010 at 08:55 #

“the twins looked like they were on their way to a Tim Burton convention” LOL!
    They never get it right on the red carpet but I will admit to liking some of their casual “off-duty” looks.

8. Noora Al-thani April 7, 2010 at 07:08 #

i honestly tried to get their style .. but couldn’t
    they try tooo hard to stan out and its weird!!!
    i think they thought the white clutches are enough :p
    but the truth is they look like two really old ladies

9. wilwarin April 7, 2010 at 06:31 #

crazy granny style is back…

10. Lavon April 7, 2010 at 04:52 #

I am not sure why they are listed as fashion icons. There is some great expection regarding them. One day it may reveal it self.

11. Yasmine April 7, 2010 at 04:15 #

i dont get their outfits yes, but i like the sunglasses even at night it might be a bit pretentious but theres an appeal

12. mochababe73 April 7, 2010 at 04:10 #

I don’t think that you are alone. Even Stevie Wonder can tell that these women have no fashion sense. I don’t get how they can design such nice clothes with their Elizabeth and James line but fail miserably in their everyday life.
    Unfortunately, this time, they look like the spawn of Mortician Adams.

• mochababe73 April 7, 2010 at 04:10 #

oops. I meant to say Morticia.

13. Maca April 7, 2010 at 04:04 #

I totally agree with you!!! They´re sooooooooo overrated (specially MK)

14. You're all crazy... April 7, 2010 at 03:36 #

…the twins are warranted in their fashion choices. Read Influence and look at Olsen fashion archives– their credibility will become apparent in two seconds.

15. flutterbang April 7, 2010 at 03:36 #

One looks like Morticia from the Adams Family and the other looks like a gaudy gift bag. With sunglasses.

• Terry April 7, 2010 at 10:25 #

That’s what I like about MK. She keeps on bringing Morticia back, love it!

• flutterbang April 7, 2010 at 13:44 #

I don’t :S

16. Raquel April 7, 2010 at 03:27 #

Sometimes, I get why stars wear sunglasses on the red carpet… when there is SCORCHING SUN and one may have to squint eyes due to the SUN,

This is just pathetic. Really.

17. pipsqueak April 7, 2010 at 01:38 #

Looks like I’ve finally found some solidarity here. I seriously thought I was the only one who didn’t like the Olsen twins. I also think their designer status is as much a joke as every celebrity designer out there, which means they’re just selling the namesake brand rather than doing real design work, such as sketch, cut, sew, tailor etc.

18. Sarah April 7, 2010 at 01:35 #

The sunglasses are to shield them from the flashbulbs.

• Fashion Critic April 7, 2010 at 01:49 #

Logical reason, but if that was really the case then why don’t all celebrities on the red carpet wear sunglasses?

Sorry they look ridiculous.

19. linaf April 7, 2010 at 01:11 #

the sunglasses are so obnoxious, ugh, I hate those two.

20. VBlover April 7, 2010 at 00:43 #

I, too, do not get their appeal! I thought I was the only one!!!!

21. Kimi April 7, 2010 at 00:29 #

I think their are times they are notable for their fashion, but this and lately….its just horrendous. I like Mk and Ashley, respectively and individual. But wearing black way too much…gets boring and repetitive.

22. mm April 7, 2010 at 00:17 #

They look like two moles!

23. Crazyfashionaddict April 7, 2010 at 00:16 #

That’s why I love you woman…I thought I was the only person didn’t get their appeal

• Fashion Critic April 7, 2010 at 00:41 #

Nope…as Michael Jackson once sang…”you are not alone…”

24. Jen April 7, 2010 at 00:10 #

You’re not alone. I don’t get them, either.