“The Greatest” LA Premiere – Carey Mulligan In Chanel

British actress Carey Mulligan attended the LA premiere of “The Greatest” last night.

The 24 year old wore a Chanel Pre-Fall 2010 blue tweed dress.

The dress has black trims around the neckline, hem, sleeves and under the bust line which have gold embroidery.  We can also see some button details on one shoulder.

Her look was paired with a black clutch and black heels with a gold trim.

I like the dress, but I’m not crazy about this dress on Carey.

She looks great don’t get me wrong, but it ages her.

As a 30 something year old I would wear this dress, but I wouldn’t have worn it at 24.

Many of you have said that Carey dresses too old for her age.

The first time I saw this dress was when I met Anna Wintour at Linate airport and she looked amazing in it.

Just sayin’.

[nggallery id=388]

Credit: Style.com, Getty & Fame Pictures

Carey Mulligan In Alexander McQueen - 'Inside Llewyn Davis' New York Film Festival Premiere

Carey Mulligan In Alexander McQueen – ‘Inside Llewyn Davis’ New York Film Festival Premiere

46th Annual PaekSang Art Awards

46th Annual PaekSang Art Awards

29 Responses to “The Greatest” LA Premiere – Carey Mulligan In Chanel

1. LeeAnn March 26, 2010 at 12:11 #

Somehow I think the necklace makes it youngerbut she didn’t wear it. That said I think on her tiny frame the necklace wouldn’t work. It is just too old for her but it is a stunning dress.

2. Mario March 26, 2010 at 12:32 #

Carey Mylligan in Prada?
    You might wanna fix that :D

3. Erik March 26, 2010 at 12:34 #

I think she looks great, but why does the title of the post say she’s wearing prada?

• Fashion Critic March 26, 2010 at 12:39 #

simple mistake. easily made.

• Erik March 26, 2010 at 17:06 #

I’m sorry, now that I’m reading my message over again I see that I sounded extremely harsh, but thats really not what I meant, sorry.

4. mol March 26, 2010 at 13:05 #

Sadly right, this does age her.

5. pascha March 26, 2010 at 13:06 #

Yeah I’m not a fan of this look at all.

To me she looks like the daughter of the principal of a prestigious all-girls private school who is on her best behaviour in front of her mother’s colleagues at a school formal. Which is fine if she’s dressed to meet the Queen… but she’s at an LA premiere.

Maybe with the right necklace, a slightly shorter skirt, and possibly no sleeves the look could be younger.

It’s a shame she has this odd tendency to sometimes dress older. Those lovely shoes she has on are crying for a younger, edgier, coquettish dress…

I’d love to see her in more Miu Miu and for some reason I can really see her pulling off some of the pieces from RIchard Nicholl’s AW/09 collection.

6. Jolie March 26, 2010 at 13:25 #

The cut & color is not working at all for her.

7. Tragic March 26, 2010 at 13:45 #

Yeah, I must say now that I would like to see her in something freshier, younger.

She always do so serious dress choices…

8. Kate March 26, 2010 at 13:50 #

Carey Mulligan + Chanel = Frumpy.
    Who’d have thought.

9. Miss F March 26, 2010 at 14:04 #

definitely ages her and makes her look frumpy. cute shoes

10. pipsqueak March 26, 2010 at 14:54 #

She always dresses 20 years older. Is she just wearing whatever free clothes that come her way to events? Oh well … I’ll be patient with her. She’s a really gifted actress. Saw her on Charlie Rose once and totally impressed with her intelligence and modesty.

11. mochababe73 March 26, 2010 at 15:00 #

I am in my mid 30s, and I wouldn’t wear this dress. It is definitely for an older consumer to wear somewhere other than a LA movie premier. It’s even in that weird length that she likes to wear.
    Love the shoes as well, but it’s still a little old for Carey.

12. linaf March 26, 2010 at 15:41 #

her hair looks perfect, but I hate those dresses that she wears. It makes her look like a 50 years old woman.

I dont get why, she has a great body, she shoudl be wearing younger clothes.

13. shubby doo March 26, 2010 at 15:47 #

*Smdh* I wish she would stop trying to channel classic & elegant and go for sassy and cute…she’s a sweet flower of girl not an age old bloom…

Carrie, honey, get yourself a good stylist who understands how to make fashion work for you at your age…

14. Sheena March 26, 2010 at 16:00 #

I thought the same thing. I love the dress but it does age her!

15. linaf March 26, 2010 at 16:26 #

FC, next time you met Carey, an you pull her aside and ask her why she wears such conservatives clothes? she is so young.

I wonder if her chubby legs has anything to so with it.

• Fashion Critic March 26, 2010 at 16:29 #

LOL I will :)

16. linaf March 26, 2010 at 16:36 #

you meet*

17. justme March 26, 2010 at 17:57 #

Big legs have never (and they shouldn’t lol) stopped people from wearing short dresses. And Carey’s aren’t even that big, they’re even leaner if she wears heels.
    I just think she likes conservative clothes which is really sad :/

18. shoegal March 26, 2010 at 20:08 #

LOVE the shoes. They aren’t Chanel too, are they?

19. Jeremy March 26, 2010 at 20:12 #

I don’t get it, how can people at Vogue keep dressing this young girl as a 40-something fashion editor? They should style base on HER age, not THEIRS. However, I has this theory that Carey might be the incarnation of a 50 years old woman, because she sounds really…old (watch her interviews, she almost put me to sleep)

20. linaf March 26, 2010 at 22:40 #

@jeremy, I dont think Vogue dresses her. she is not that big lol. She seems like a conservative person.

My wish for 2010 is to see her getting a new stiylist.

21. eighty March 27, 2010 at 06:03 #

They can’t all be hits, I suppose. Besides, Chanel is so overrated… **dodging lighting bolts from the fashion gods**

22. dressaddict March 27, 2010 at 14:18 #

I guess this is her style, maybe she really likes this type of clothes and feels confortable in them. Why change then? I’m sure we’ve all had at least once this tendency to look more mature. The sad part is that she might want to try something fresher in her 30′s or 40′s and people will criticize her for that too.

23. Jessie March 29, 2010 at 04:07 #

I love her hair!! SO CUTE!

24. e March 29, 2010 at 04:21 #

FC, you say as a 30 something you WOULD wear it — well i’m 38 and i wouldn’t, because it would drag me towards middle age faster than i want to go!! maybe if it was a sleeveless or cap sleeved, and a little shorter… or maybe it’s just a dress for 60/70 year old socitey matrons :-)

• whitestroke March 29, 2010 at 22:21 #

Same here. I doubt I’d be wearing this style of dresses even in my 30s/40s. My mom will turn 60 this year and she’s still referring to such dresses as ‘wouldn’t be caught dead wearing something like that, looking like an old lady.’ lol It fits Carey, though. That’s the strangest thing about it. She must be an old soul.

25. whitestroke March 29, 2010 at 22:29 #

I actually like this look on her. Shock, I know. It just suits her. In spite of her childish face, she seems to have an old woman mentality. She sounds so mature when she speaks, too. I’m few years older than her but she’d intimate me like whoa. Thanks to her face she can pull off younger looks too, but her mentality shines through in looks like these, so this style works for her, too. *shrugs* She fills up the dress really nicely, too. This dress COULD look younger, though. If she upped the size, so it’s more loose around the body, and different accessories. But the question is would that look suit Carey. She actually looks comfortable like this.