2010 Asian Film Awards

Donatella Versace walked the red carpet at the 2010 Asian Film Awards last night which was held in Hong Kong.

The fashion designer was there to present the “Best Costume Designer Award” which was awarded to the Taiwanese film “Face”.

I LOVE what Donatella is wearing.

The colour is so much more vibrant than the runway colour.  It really pops on the red carpet and against her platinum blonde hair.

We know that Donatella like modifies her runway pieces, because as she told me last season “I’m not a model.”

On this occasion she simply filled the cut-outs and gave her skirt a heavier lining.

BDOTW for me.

Gao Yuanyuan wore a beautiful strapless Versace Spring 2010 lilac gown with a central split.

Her hair was swept up into an elegant updo whilst she added silver jewels to complement her gown.

Donatella wore this gown last year to the Oi Fashion Rock Brazil event.

Chang Yung-yung wears the same pink Versace Spring 2010 flowing dress we recently saw on Tinsley Mortimer at Elton John’s Oscar party.

I much prefer the dress strapless as it was presented on the runway.

Guey Lun-mei didn’t get the Versace memo.

Instead the beautiful actress opted for a white Christian Dior Fall 2009 dress with silver embroidered detail on the skirt.

The dress was paired with a silver Dior clutch.

It’s such a simple dress, but the embroidered detail and clutch add a touch of magic to the look.

Zhou Xun also didn’t get the memo.

The actress is usually seen wearing Chanel, so her Chanel Fall 2009 Couture dress is not a surprise.

We have said how we loathed the trains on many of the pieces from this collection.

Only Kate Hudson has opted to keep the train on her dress, whereas Diane Kruger and Keira Knightley have opted out of wearing the train.

Without the train on Zhou’s dress it would’ve been very plain, so I’m glad she didn’t modify her look on this occasion.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

BBC Madia Vale Studios - Cheryl Cole In Preen Line

BBC Madia Vale Studios – Cheryl Cole In Preen Line

In Lucy Liu's Closet - Miu Miu Cutout Sandals

In Lucy Liu’s Closet – Miu Miu Cutout Sandals

28 Responses to 2010 Asian Film Awards

1. zuleyka March 23, 2010 at 17:09 #

BDOTW for me too~i like the modifies version than the runway version..

2. Ksenia March 23, 2010 at 17:23 #

I am sorry, but Donatella looks unhealthy and unnatural. I can’t like her in this blue gown. She looks like a barbie. The gown looks…a little cheap. I know platinum blond in Donatella’s look, but it just makes her look fake.

• Mariazinha March 23, 2010 at 18:51 #

Oh yeah! Someone who agrees with me… I actually can never like anything Donatella wears. She may be a fashion genious, a great designer, and many other good things… But she just creeps me out every time I see her!! Creepy old barbie. I just find that MOST of these women who have to many plastic surgeries end up looking ‘old lady with surgery’, instead of ‘young woman’.
      Having that said.. my favorite was the pink versace! Even with the straps she looks gorgeous!

• dressaddict March 23, 2010 at 22:09 #

100% agree with you! Also about the pink dress, although my favourite was the Dior gown.

• mol March 23, 2010 at 23:13 #

It pains me to agree, as I love many of Donatella’s designs. I agree that the platinum blond barbie is a signature look for her, but somehow it just doesn’t work in an entrancing way, like say the crazy old redhead look of Vivienne Westwood does (for me anyway).

3. Ksenia March 23, 2010 at 17:24 #

Guey Lun-mei should be nominated for BDOTW. Chang Yung-yung’s pink gown is like a parachute over her body- it drowns her.

• Leo March 23, 2010 at 18:14 #

Agree 100%.

Guey Lun-mei looks breathtaking in Dior.

4. Erik March 23, 2010 at 17:38 #

Gao Yuanyuan’s gown is slightly modified ik believe. I don’t really know how to explain it but for example at her breasts, the silver fabric goes around them, so there’s purple fabric on the breasts while at the runway dress the silver fabric goes over the breasts with a little purple fabric at the middle. The slit also begins a little lower I believe.
    And I agree with Ksenia about Donatella, she really looks like a barbie in my opinion and kind of unhealthy for her age as well.

5. E March 23, 2010 at 18:48 #

I know Donatella can’t quite be considered a “natural beauty” but she always wears her designs well. BDOTW for me too!

6. Dorian Gray March 23, 2010 at 18:54 #

OMG! Donatella deserves 4 sure BDOTW and, according to me, she isn’t unhealthy at all! She a Barbie woman, what’s wrong with it? She has a look that no one else has and that’s the best thing in being Donatella Versace. (and at least her dresses bring colours to live!)
    ps. thanks for posting this event FC.

7. pipsqueak March 23, 2010 at 19:07 #

This is truly an international blog! I don’t particularly enjoy fashion pictures of Asian celebrities because of a lack of excitement and diversity in the way they dress. I think the mindset there is rooted in status rather than self-expression. When I travel to the cosmo cities there, I see luxury in stylish women, not presentation or identity (except Tokyo maybe), and there’s no market for the so-called “indie” or “emerging” brands. Baby steps…

8. chrystelle March 23, 2010 at 19:44 #

god bless asian ladies and god bless you for always featuring them for our enjoyment.they always bring drama to the red carpet.
    Donatella always creeps me out.i can’t look past her face so kudos to you for doing that because i sincerely can’t and god knows i have tried.

• Fashion Critic March 23, 2010 at 19:54 #

LOL….@ i can’t look past her face so kudos to you for doing that because i sincerely can’t and god knows i have tried

It’s all about the dress ;)

9. linaf March 23, 2010 at 20:22 #

@pipsqueak, for me is the completely opossite.

I adore when FC post about asian events. Those girls kill everytime. I love, love , love. I wish we could see even more from them. :)

10. Jess March 23, 2010 at 22:29 #

FC- I have to ask, as I’ve been wondering for a while…but do you frequent the skinnywebsite.com? and do you comment under the name ‘london calling’? slightly odd question I know, but your comments on D.V. and her dress are spookily similar to this londoncalling girl…and she always knows the labels celebs are wearing…

• Fashion Critic March 23, 2010 at 22:41 #

Hey Jess. Nope that’s not me.

I just read the comment so I understand why you would think it’s me.

It’s just some sad individual with no imagination of their own, so they have adopted my personality.

Sad really

• Jess March 24, 2010 at 12:03 #

damn, I can’t believe its not you! Methinks she certainly reads your blog though, as she always has the same opinion as you. thanks for getting back to me!

• Fashion Critic March 24, 2010 at 12:13 #

I might go on there and call her out :)

11. Ally March 23, 2010 at 22:40 #

Love love love how she modified it. The blue is stunning and I prefer the dress so much more without the super high slit and cutouts. Much classier.

12. Sharon March 24, 2010 at 00:00 #

I agree with those who can’t get by Donatella’s face, but if you put a pretty mask on her, nobody wears her clothes like she does — like Victoria Beckham. I really love the pink and silver dress, with or without the straps, but the white Dior gown is my favorite of all, and my candidate for BDOTW.

• Fashion Critic March 24, 2010 at 07:07 #

the Dior dress will be added :)

13. Linda March 24, 2010 at 01:04 #

Is anyone else feeling really bored with Dior and Chanel lately?

• whitestroke March 24, 2010 at 22:47 #

*raises hand*

Except not lately, but rather ALWAYS DID.

14. Pablo March 24, 2010 at 08:06 #

Long live Asian events! The girls never let us down! :) I would’ve liked to see more designers, a little Ferragamo, but sponsors are sponsors. My fav was Guey in Dior, by a mile!

15. CreoleLady March 24, 2010 at 08:29 #

Re bored with Dior and Chanel lately – yes and no. Yes if it when worn by Marion Cotillard (sp?). No when worn as beautifully as Guey Lun-mei.

16. Bárbara March 24, 2010 at 21:46 #

Donatella looks AMAZING in that dress…..That woman fascinates me on so many levels…
    BDOTW worthy for SURE!!!

17. ahot March 24, 2010 at 21:57 #

Donatella, get immediately out of this dress!…. and send it to me! me want it very badly

18. whitestroke March 24, 2010 at 22:49 #

It’s like they asked me who are my least fav designers and then they dressed these ladies in those three. I WILL say, though, that this is the best Donatella ever looked.