16.03.10

Mary Tomer has a wonderful Mrs O blog dedicated to following Michelle Obama’s style, but every now and again the First Lady will wear something that I’m so very curious to get your opinions on.

I can already hear some of you tapping furiously on your keyboards as many of you have objected to Mrs O going sleeveless.

At the Grocery Manufacturers Association Science Forum earlier today the First Lady wore a L’Wren Scott pink and white striped sleeveless shirt with a bow paired with a L’Wren Scott Spring 2010 raspberry pink high-waisted pencil skirt.

I’m not crazy about the sleeveless shirt. I would’ve loved for the First Lady to have worn a cute cropped raspberry cardigan with this look, or even the runway jacket – which may have been too much.

I love that she’s having fun with fashion, but this look – as she worn it – doesn’t work for me.

Your thoughts please.

Update: I really don’t like the back of this look.

Credit: Style.com & AP

Clotilde Courau In Maxime Simoëns - Vanity Fair Oscar Party 2014

Clotilde Courau In Maxime Simoëns – Vanity Fair Oscar Party 2014

In Michelle Obama's Closet - L'Wren Scott Cardigan

In Michelle Obama’s Closet – L’Wren Scott Cardigan

61 Responses to Michelle Obama Wears L’Wren Scott To The Grocery Manufacturers Association Science Forum

1. Joana March 16, 2010 at 19:09 #

It really works for me! I love it!! I think the First Lady looks very classy.

• Gwen September 17, 2011 at 20:02 #

Gorgeous look!

2. mm March 16, 2010 at 19:18 #

I like the look! Love the color, hair, & make-up. But I would’ve perferred the jacket.

3. Lmia March 16, 2010 at 19:37 #

Love it! The microphones across the front look funny and add a little balance to the look.. lol!
    I would have loved a light pink/cream jacket with that

4. Sssss..... March 16, 2010 at 19:37 #

I think the color suits her very well but the bow detail at the neck makes her look suffocated. other than that Mrs.O looks good. I think her arms very toned and she shouldnt be afraid to flaunt them.

• Gaber March 16, 2010 at 23:23 #

This.
      The neck detail is the issue. A MASSIVE issue.
      Other than that – superb look.

5. evanthe March 16, 2010 at 19:40 #

i love everything except the sleeves. the sleeveless shirt makes it just a little too informal. just sleeve long enough by her elbow would have been PERFECT.

i really like the colors on her. very playful indeed.

6. LT March 16, 2010 at 19:41 #

this isn’t 1865. she looks amazing! who cares if she’s sleeveless.

7. Kathryn March 16, 2010 at 19:43 #

Loves it!! The hair, the makeup, the outfit. She has great arms and I like that she’s representing for the modern working women. The era of the mumsy First Lady is over!

8. Fashion Critic March 16, 2010 at 19:53 #

I guess you love it then :)

9. shap_half March 16, 2010 at 19:54 #

I don’t have a problem with the sleeveless in general, but it would have been nice to see her wear the jacket. And so she’s not super matchy, maybe pair the look with high-waisted wide-leg trousers instead of the pencil skirt.

10. Catherine March 16, 2010 at 19:56 #

Michelle Obama looks great as always. However, I agree the bow detail on the shirt makes her look like she’s suffocating if you stare at it too long (lol) but the colors are perfect!! and there is nothing wrong with her showing her arms. Overall, I think this look is nice!

11. aslan March 16, 2010 at 20:09 #

i totally love it! she is so inspiring

12. Linda March 16, 2010 at 20:19 #

I think it’s a bit informal for her post. The jacket would have been good. Very nice look, though, spinglike and pretty.

13. anon March 16, 2010 at 20:20 #

SHE LOOKS THE BEST I’VE EVER SEEN HER! brava :)

14. Bego March 16, 2010 at 20:37 #

I love that colour on her, in my opinion this look works!

15. Christy March 16, 2010 at 21:05 #

I think she looks fantastic – with arms like that why wouldn’t you flaunt them? I, for one, am so over her wearing cardigans everywhere and think this is a vast improvement :-)

16. Sharon March 16, 2010 at 21:14 #

I love Mrs. Obama’s style, and don’t object at all to her sleeveless looks. If I had arms like those, I’d be showing them off too. But in this case, I think the outfit looks unfinished. I agree with those who think a jacket or cardigan would have completed the look.

17. Rebecca March 16, 2010 at 21:35 #

I love it, but my love for her may be clouding my judgement!

• newsbird March 17, 2010 at 08:59 #

Congratulations! Only rational comment here is yours.

18. e March 16, 2010 at 21:41 #

i love every element of this look! collour, style, her makeup and hair — perfection! i don’t object to the sleevelessness as the bow adds femininity – it’s an elegant look!

19. marlie March 16, 2010 at 21:44 #

I think she looks lovely and classy in this outfit! I would have loved to see her in the jacket too, but not because I have anything against her showing her arms — I would have just liked to have seen the whole ensemble.

AND… in this day and age, just because her arms are showing *doesn’t* mean that she’s not dressed properly!

20. Brooke March 16, 2010 at 21:46 #

This is a great look, and though I think her arms are delightful and she should feel free to go sleeveless, this reads as a bit casual and would improve its occasion appropriateness with a jacket.

21. Andrew Mackinnon March 16, 2010 at 21:53 #

Nothing L’ Wren Scott works for me. Sorry, but I really think she lacks in the design department.
    But Mrs O looks great. Love to see her in this Chanel Fall 10:
    http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/F2010RTW-CHANEL?event=show2062&designer=design_house22&trend=&iphoto=20 (:

22. SkirtTheIssue March 16, 2010 at 22:05 #

I love it too- i think wearing it jacklet-less saves it from looking too stuffy and “done”. I also think the bare arms show off how good that colour looks against her skin-tone too

23. Willa March 16, 2010 at 22:44 #

If I had her arms I’d show them off even in Siberia in the dead of winter.

If she had worn a cardigan I can imagine the outrage. :O lol

24. nicole March 16, 2010 at 22:48 #

im not a big fan. something is off and i dont think it has to do with the sleeves.

25. Mario March 16, 2010 at 23:07 #

I’d have to disagree with you on this. I think the look is perfectly appropriate for the event and I don’t think a jacket is needed.
    We are used to Michelle wearing cardigans and jackets all the time, that it seems strange seeing her with a sleeveless shirt now.
    Her whole look is very sophisticated and it also appears very formal, which is important for the style of a First Lady.
    Loving this side of Michelle!

26. nyma March 17, 2010 at 00:09 #

i have a BIG problem with the back of the skirt, it just seemed tasteless for a first wife…..

• Fashion Critic March 17, 2010 at 00:26 #

Yes I just saw the back which was added to Mrs O

I agree

• shubby doo March 17, 2010 at 10:07 #

i just saw the back…i i have to agree….not great a great look at all…

from the front i love it. i know the jacket would have been great but i cant lie i still like it without the jacket

• ahot March 17, 2010 at 12:15 #

Tasteless really? Well she got that booty and unless she keeps wearing wide or shapeless skirts nothing will hide it. That’s the way most black women are builded; let’s not forget she is walking as they took this picture so it kinda accentuate her back.

• Fashion Critic March 17, 2010 at 12:55 #

Yes there is nothing she can do about the booty and why would she. It’s beautiful :)

• evanthe March 17, 2010 at 18:39 #

naw, i have no problem with her booty. it’s good to have great booty.

but it’s the details of the skirt that i really don’t like. UGH.

k, i changed my mind. i don’t really like this look that much anymore..

27. DM March 17, 2010 at 00:11 #

eh, it’s ok i guess. she should’ve worn the jacket and it might have completed the look.

28. mochababe73 March 17, 2010 at 00:15 #

I agree with you. I love FLOTUS and her style, but she should have worn a topper or a blouse with sleeves.

29. Beatriz Duarte March 17, 2010 at 00:19 #

GORGEOUS arms. Keep showing them, Ma’am! I thing Mrs. Obama looks stunning, professional and still elegant. The colour suits her beautifully.

30. Evy March 17, 2010 at 00:31 #

I think she looks great! The color looks good on her and I actually think that the sleeveless look work here. Would she have worn the outfit the way it was meant to be worn, she would look matronly!
    Instead of categorizing the look of a first lady, we should embrace what she is doing by giving us another vision that is still suitable, elegant and very stylish for women in powerful position such as hers.

31. sara March 17, 2010 at 00:34 #

I loved the look until I saw the back of the skirt – sorry guys but it just does not work for me the back of the skirt kills the look on the first lady. I dont have a proble with the short sleves she has great arms or even showing legs …..it really is a great look if only the skirt would have had a different back.

32. Nathalie March 17, 2010 at 00:40 #

This is not a very good look for her. I especially do NOT like the bow in the front. 0/5 This outfit looks kind of weird.

33. Sue Jin March 17, 2010 at 01:22 #

I liked it until i clicked on the link and saw the back of it.

34. Taylor March 17, 2010 at 02:31 #

Everything about this works for me. Especially the back detail; so unexpected with the serious tie neck at the front

• ahot March 17, 2010 at 12:19 #

Yes for me too! That cute detail on the back, the bow -very unexpected. I think another hairstyle or a bow on the side would have been very interesting too (but that is being perfectionist)

35. Raquel March 17, 2010 at 02:40 #

No, FC, NO cardigan! I shudder at the simple mention of the word “cardigan” these days. ;) The jacket on the model, yes.

This is what my take on the sleeveless issue: it all depends on the the occasion. In this one, I think it may be okay, and since it is winter, I assume she had a jacket and took it off.

What doesn’t work, as many have mentioned, is the the bow. With the high waist skirt, it makes Michelle look bulky in the top and it flattens her chest… I dunno, it is very unflattering on her. Maybe if it was a side bow it would have worked better.

All in all I don’t like this outfit much. The color is great on her, and in theory the concept is interesting, but I don’t think the ensemble works for Michelle.

• Fashion Critic March 17, 2010 at 08:20 #

LOL…so it’s you that hates the cardigans :)

36. Jasmine March 17, 2010 at 05:19 #

FC, do you not like Mrs O going sleeveless? Any reason?

• Fashion Critic March 17, 2010 at 08:13 #

No reason. If she was visiting a school or doing something informal, I wouldn’t have a problem with the shirt.

But it was a formal occasion and a jacket or a cardigan imo would have befit the occasion.

She wore a sleeveless dress when she met Jason Wu and I did have a problem with that.

It not an issue, just a preference of dressing for the occasion

37. Kiwi March 17, 2010 at 05:33 #

The skirt looks too tight from the back.. across her hips.. no issues with the sleeveless look

38. chrystelle March 17, 2010 at 06:12 #

it is funny how women love to put restrictions on other women.there is nothing inappropriate about this look.i love the kick pleat. take the plainness out of the skirt.

• Fashion Critic March 17, 2010 at 08:09 #

No one is putting restrictions on anyone.

We are merely stating our preferences.

This site is meant to be fun, you are taking things way too seriously

39. shuz4ever March 17, 2010 at 06:12 #

Love the entire look. Her style is so refreshing… she continues to redefine the look of a first lady…kudos to her.

40. Ingrid March 17, 2010 at 06:48 #

would have looked so much better with the jacket i think

41. Louise March 17, 2010 at 07:04 #

She looks great. I think the high-waisted skirt looks fab on her. And red and pink really flatters.

42. LeeAnn March 17, 2010 at 09:09 #

It looks like it was designed in a Project Runway challenge

• Fashion Critic March 17, 2010 at 12:16 #

Oh my that really made me LOL

43. Nicola March 17, 2010 at 15:42 #

Where’s her neck gone!!!

44. Paula March 17, 2010 at 17:57 #

I love the front, the back not so much, okay not at all.. I do agree that the raspberry color is a standout!! I think if she wears the color again in the future the suggestion of pairing it with soft pink is a sound one

45. Gail March 18, 2010 at 04:34 #

I think, without a full body shot of the dress on her
    (not just a back view), it’s hard to make a constructive comment.

46. Maria March 19, 2010 at 01:34 #

Cute, but not for someone her age. And she has beautiful arms and shoulders, so she should show them off in more flattering clothes. This would have worked if it had cap or short sleeves or even the adorable jacket.

47. Anna March 19, 2010 at 23:38 #

She’s a breath of fresh air. She doesn’t seem to adhere to as many rules as other First Ladies have.

48. Anonna October 4, 2010 at 13:47 #

The original design has a lot of charm and a romantic nostalgia.

Ms. Obama’s version looks silly. Why have no sleeves, but wad up the front with a high collar and ridiculous Peter-Rabbit-ear bow? Either her arms are cold or her neck is hot. And why wear feminine colors when your arms are as muscular as hers? There are mixed messages all over this outfit. I give it a D because the colors are nice. Why don’t her clothes ever fit? They always have strain lines.