16.03.10

Alexander McQueen Fall 2010

I’m sure like me, many of you had mixed emotions viewing Alexander McQueen Fall 2010 collection.

I was excited to view such a magnificent collection, but I was also sad that this collection will be the last piece of brilliance we will get to see from the late talented designer.

When viewing the collection I immediately – as always – started to think who should wear these pieces and bring them to life in the way Lee McQueen has envisioned.

Cate Blanchett (sorry to be predictable) was my first thought along with Helen Mirren and Dame Judi Dench.

Why?

Because they all have a regal queen like quality which would befit this collection.

Others who came to mind were Tilda Swinton, Camilla Belle, Leighton Meester and Zoe Saldana.

Cate would rock my world if she wore either of the looks above. I can so imagine her gliding down the red carpet in one of these looks at Cannes Film Festival *prays*

For Tilda I picked more complicated pieces as she would have no trouble pulling them off.

Helen would look exquisite in this haunting piece with a floaty chiffon skirt, whilst Zoe would show off those enviable legs in this gold number.

I’m sure the Gucci Group – who own Alexander McQueen – will be reluctant to loan this collection to just anybody, so it will be interesting to see who wears the collection first and which look they pick.

Credit: Style.com, Zuma & Getty

"Chloe" New York Premeire - Amanda Seyfried In RM by Roland Mouret

“Chloe” New York Premeire – Amanda Seyfried In RM by Roland Mouret

In Sarah Harding's Closet - Nicholas Kirkwood Strappy Sandals

In Sarah Harding’s Closet – Nicholas Kirkwood Strappy Sandals

26 Responses to Alexander McQueen Fall 2010

1. sydneycheapchic March 16, 2010 at 12:47 #

I was just about to post for my first ever wish list the second dress for Cate Blanchett too! It is perfect for her.. the metallic detail, it’s statuesque regal qualities.. perfection pairing!

I also loved the first dress you chose for Zoe.. but not necessarily for Zoe.. i don’t think she’s got the height for it.. it needs someone taller

2. Alexandra March 16, 2010 at 12:55 #

dear Lord! I’m speechless! The collection is beyond stunning. I particularly loved Heronymus Bosch print bag shown in the video, but all the dresses are MIND BLOWING as well…

3. Terry March 16, 2010 at 13:04 #

I’m quite worried about the future of the brand. Gucci group stated the brand will live on (I know many people work for it, I don’t want them to lose their jobs, but I really wished for a different decision), so I am wondering who will be the “lucky” designer to fill McQueen’s shoes.

• Fashion Critic March 16, 2010 at 13:08 #

I’m the same. I really don’t see anyone doing the brand justice

4. Snarky Sharky March 16, 2010 at 13:33 #

Cate choice was obvious, of course, and I’m loving your suggestion for Zoe.

5. Elise March 16, 2010 at 13:47 #

The collection is amazing.
    Every dresses are so beautiful and perfect.
    I can wait to see them on the red carpet.

6. Anissa March 16, 2010 at 13:58 #

I would actually like to see Nicole Kidman in several of these (like the first one) but only if she wears it with the confidence she had during her Moulin Rouge red carpets…she could be stunning!

• Fashion Critic March 16, 2010 at 14:08 #

Nicole is a good candidate for these looks. I never thought of her

7. mm March 16, 2010 at 13:59 #

Love the choices for Zoe and Tilda. I see the choices for Cate making to the big screen for sure.
    Wow i would love to even have a yard of those beautiful hand painted fabrics.

8. Stuti March 16, 2010 at 14:08 #

I see hints of his previous collections, and it is so upsetting I cannot say.

9. Lexa March 16, 2010 at 14:40 #

those traces of previous collections seem to be suggesting that he kind of wanted to say good-bye with this collection. It’s all so tragic. Such a genius is gone forever :(

10. -Audrey March 16, 2010 at 15:19 #

I’d love to see Michelle Obama in the one you thought of for Helen Mirren, but I like your choices too.

• Fashion Critic March 16, 2010 at 15:30 #

Now that would be amazing

11. Brooke March 16, 2010 at 16:07 #

ooh! please please please put Zoe in the gold number! She would KILL it. It would be so lovely with her complexion.

12. Yasmine March 16, 2010 at 16:28 #

i adore you for getting a high just imagining kate blanchette wearing one of those pieces lol

• Fashion Critic March 16, 2010 at 16:39 #

LOL @ getting high.

Perfect description.

13. cassandra March 16, 2010 at 18:52 #

I could not dream of a better list (except I’d flag Camilla Belle – she wears dresses beautifully but I don’t think she has the right ‘aura’ for mcqueen, someone a bit quirkier would be better.) I agree with the ‘getting high’ comment too – I would actually have a fainting spell if I saw Cate in either of those, especially the feather dress!

14. Sharon March 16, 2010 at 21:33 #

I haven’t seen much of her lately so I don’t know how she looks these days, but Catherine Zeta Jones in her pre- “Chicago” days would have looked wonderful in the long sleeved black gown.

15. Fiona March 16, 2010 at 23:14 #

Thank you for posting this, the video was sublime and it was a priviilege to see some of the garments and amazing shoes up close to see the beautiful detailing – it was like walking through an art gallery. Whilst they are meant to be worn, I agree that the Gucci group should be extremely fussy about who gets to wear this collection, it is something of a time capsule and very precious.

16. Julia March 17, 2010 at 05:02 #

A sumptuous, exquisite collection, such a talent will be truly missed. If any of these pieces are to be worn on the red carpet, Cate and Tilda will no doubt do justice to them. As soon as I saw the collection their names were the first that sprung to mind, they have the regal, statuesque and otherworldly beauty to effortlessly pull off these amazing pieces.

17. Manuel March 17, 2010 at 12:14 #

Woow! What a collection! A true genius is gone and will be missed. He had the most interesting fashion shows in the industry as well

Yeah. Blanchett and Swinton would be really great choices. I like Kidman and Mirren as well. Instead of Zoe I would prefer long leggy Elle McPherson. What about Charlize Theron, Monica Bellucci or Maggie Cheung?

• Fashion Critic March 17, 2010 at 12:58 #

all great choices.

But I can’t see Charlize moving away from Dior.

18. whitestroke March 18, 2010 at 01:13 #

I like the dresses you picked for Helen and Zoe. But my fav one wasn’t mentioned here, so I’ll just take it for myself. If the Gucci Group allows, of course. ;)

19. mol March 18, 2010 at 05:42 #

Perhaps not a big enough name, and still young, but I can see Evan Rachel Wood in a few of these pieces – beautiful to see the details up close, thks for posting this.

• Fashion Critic March 18, 2010 at 07:53 #

i think your right she could carry this collection

20. NhuChi March 25, 2010 at 08:14 #

this collection has Tilda and Cate written all over it! Very fitting since these gowns are made for royalty plus their figure and skin tones are spot on. Nicole Kidman would a great candidate too. As for the short dress someone with legs like Cameron Diaz would better…