15.03.10 Best Dressed

What Was Carey Mulligan’s Best Red Carpet Awards Season Moment?

I had such high hopes for Carey Mulligan, but her awards season style ended up being just OK for me.

I wasn’t really blown away, but I did like how different her Vionnet gown was so that was my favourite.

Credit: Fame Pictures, Bauer Griffin & Zuma

Kristin Cavallari's Zac Posen Stretch Duchesse Gown

Kristin Cavallari’s Zac Posen Stretch Duchesse Gown

Dannii Minogue Shows Off Her Baby Bump Wearing Willow

Dannii Minogue Shows Off Her Baby Bump Wearing Willow

20 Responses to What Was Carey Mulligan’s Best Red Carpet Awards Season Moment?

1. Chiara March 15, 2010 at 02:28 #

Yeah I agree with you, when I saw the different pictures nothing was really wow to me… I didn’t know she wore so much black!!!

2. magie March 15, 2010 at 02:35 #

i FEEL u totally on Carey..exactly how i feel! The Prada for the BIG OSCAR nite was out of proportion for her body shape..she should wear something to make herself look taller …in actual fact i am such a FAN of her -both in her acting n sense of style BUT on the BIG nite she does not excel.. i guessher innate sense is not there yet!

3. pascha March 15, 2010 at 03:14 #

I’m torn between the Vionnet and Christopher Kane dress.

Totally agree with her choices just being ok. I was really hoping to see her in more edgy pieces adorned in pattern/applique/jewels. All the plain single colour pieces can be saved for someone older like Jennifer Aniston or Hillary Swank. I don’t know… I mean young actresses like Carey are seen as ‘bright, young, things’ for a reason. So why not dress like a bright, young thing?

I must say though looking at the graphic you made it FC it looks like her style started to get better once she changed her hair colour. I loved the final three choices b/c each have some really fascinating details. And even though her Oscars look seems like a more traditional choice when you look closer there are little knives, forks and scissors adorning that dress.

My dream was to see her wearing something from last season’s Miu Miu collection because her darling haircut and sweet disposition really fits in with that particular collection.

Oh well, I hope to see more edgy pieces on her the next time she is nominated again next year. ;)

• Fashion Critic March 15, 2010 at 10:04 #

I agree. The hair colour changed helped kick start a style change.

4. The Dame March 15, 2010 at 03:26 #

Definitely the second and third dress for me :)

5. Wheaty March 15, 2010 at 04:06 #

She’s pleasant, but i really don’t feel like she deserves more attention on the red carpet than anybody else.

6. Jeremy March 15, 2010 at 04:39 #

This girl has one of the biggest fashion support system and yet dressed like a 35 years old woman. She’s young-she need to take a risk. Black, black, dark colors everywhere. The only time she dressed her own age was that Bottega yellow dress, but she looked so uncomfortable in it. Maybe her real mental age is 35.

• kath March 15, 2010 at 15:20 #

I love her style and think she does take risks! The Prada she wore to the Oscars was covered in teeny tiny kitchen and gardening utensils! I think this is awesome and quirky and shows off her great personality ;D most people wouldn’t wear something so brave and random to the Oscars! She looks so quirky and realxed in it for me so that got my vote ;)

• Jeremy March 15, 2010 at 17:55 #

Don’t get me wrong. I love her wearing Prada and Lanvin- it shows that she has “Anna Wintour” support. But that Prada dress you just mention would look so much better if it was a printed dress like the runway’s. And that dress at the SAG…I almost could not believe it was Lanvin. Sometimes it’s better to wear a runway looks rather a custom-made one. And like Case said, they all look quite similar.

7. Julia March 15, 2010 at 04:58 #

I think she had an OK awards season, after all she’s only young and it’s her first one. My vote went to the Oscars Prada, I think it suited her style perfectly as it’s quirky but chic. My next favourite was the SAG Awards Lanvin (love the colour) and the BAFTA Awards Vionnet because she looks so cute!

8. Fiona March 15, 2010 at 06:03 #

When you see all of the dresses together it is a shame that there is so much black/midnight blue, she is so pretty and young that she could wear lighter colours or prints without being too twee (which I’m sure she is trying to avoid). I do like her sense of style though and loved the Vionnet dress, that was also my favourite.

9. Case March 15, 2010 at 06:13 #

FC you’re on the money. The Vionnet gown was a great surprise and looked fantastic on Carey. All of the other outfits look very similar.

• Fashion Critic March 15, 2010 at 10:01 #

They do all look strangely similar, you’re right

10. Tragic March 15, 2010 at 07:58 #

I voted for Academy Awards Nominee Luncheon in Prada.

Not because I was more impressed by the dress (lovely, but so much black, why ?), but because I love the way her blond crop work so strangely with such bright red lipstick.

11. linaf March 15, 2010 at 15:01 #

This was her first red carpet season, I dont think I ever heard of her before her small film debuted so its not like she had muhc experience. Anne Hathaway used to be awful at this, remember her white and black Oscar dress with bows?

But I wish she could get a stylist to help her, she still dress like a older woman.

• Fashion Critic March 15, 2010 at 15:10 #

who can forget that Valentino white dress with the black bow…*shudders*

12. Vera March 15, 2010 at 16:37 #

I’m in love with Carey.

And my mom does the same)

13. P. March 16, 2010 at 19:23 #

Yes, not her best times, My favorite was Oscar’s look. I really love her Prada rise and fall dress and the heels are divine. Very second close was her in Vionnet, which is absolutelly gorgeous.

14. whitestroke March 17, 2010 at 17:38 #

I don’t even know what to vote for. Some looks are okay, but nothing too impressive. Her pre-awards season was much better. She was wearing much more interesting looks and got us all excited. But what followed lacked inspiration for the most part.

I don’t like customized dresses that much. I know it must be special for the stars that designers are doing something for them. But for me those looks are not that exciting fashion-wise. I love them pulling off pieces I saw on the runway and know the context they’re coming from.

15. mol March 18, 2010 at 05:53 #

I’m sorry to be coming in on this so late – anyway, I don’t really have a favorite here, maybe the Vionnet. Nevertheless, Carey is still someone I like to see on the red carpet. I can’t explain it, she’s just so herself, this kind of quirky, awkward girl and I just find it refreshing. I don’t mind at all criticizing the glamour girls from whom I expect visual perfection – the Zoe’s of this world, whom I love seeing – but I also like to see a mix of something else on the carpet, which is why I like Carey. Kirsten Stewart is another one. I just like them cause they give off a different vibe, they are not properly polished, but still very enticing in some mysterious way.