Runway To 2010 Oscars – Mo’Nique In Tadashi Shoji

Designer Loyalty Award
I think Mr Mo’Nique got my memo as he decided to hang back and allow his wife to shine as she walked the red carpet at the 2010 Oscar tonight.

The first time Oscar nominee opted for a pop of colour wearing an electric blue Tadashi Shoji Spring 2010 gown.

The “Precious” star nominated for Best Supporting Actress has stuck with Tadashi Shoji throughout most of Awards season, and it’s proving to be a great working relationship because she’s never looked better.

I love the jewel detail on the bodice.

Thank god it’s ankle length.

The only downside is that big flower in her hair. A tad OTT for my liking.

Credit: Style.com & Wireimage

Runway To 2010 Oscars - Zoe Saldana In Givenchy Couture

Runway To 2010 Oscars – Zoe Saldana In Givenchy Couture

Runway To 2010 Oscars - Amanda Seyfried In Armani Privé

Runway To 2010 Oscars – Amanda Seyfried In Armani Privé

17 Responses to Runway To 2010 Oscars – Mo’Nique In Tadashi Shoji

1. Rebecca March 8, 2010 at 00:21 #

I think the flower is a bit of a tribute to Hattie McDaniel, who was the first African American woman to win an Oscar (for playing Mammy in Gone with the Wind). She also wore gardenias in her hair to the ceremony.

• mm March 8, 2010 at 00:28 #

I agree about the Hattie McDaniel tribute. I dont love the flower though. I love the color of the gown. Monique has looked the best ever throughout these rewards shows. She is so gracious, i know she will win.
      I think we have seen an entire collection for Tadashi Shoji, i am sure that fashion house is super pleased.

• maria March 8, 2010 at 02:29 #

I watch the red carpet at cnn and Mo’nique said she was wearing the flower to honor Hattie McDaniel the firts African American woman to win an Oscar (as Rebecca said)

2. robbie March 8, 2010 at 00:28 #

flowers in hair always seem very copacabana to me.

the dress is a nice, the colour is great. wonder if she shaved her legs.

• ahot March 8, 2010 at 20:38 #

lol! i don’t think so. She won’t shave for no one, and hey! if her man likes it….

3. Laura March 8, 2010 at 00:30 #

The hair is distracting, but if Rebecca’s right and it is a tribute, I’ll not worry about it.

The dress makes her curves look amazing and the blue is great with her skin.

I also think Tadashi Shoji deserves some props here. As a woman who’s not stick skinny, I’m sure Mo’Nique struggles with finding designers that’ll work. I give Tadashi a ton of props for dressing fuller-figures and not conforming to the typical standard of beauty.

4. Alfredo March 8, 2010 at 00:32 #

Its Ok, I had lower expectations after her hair issues.

5. Lila H. March 8, 2010 at 02:41 #

*yawn*

You’re going to win the Oscar, your moment will go down in film history, and THIS is what you wear during your big moment?

6. DM March 8, 2010 at 05:55 #

This looks like a cheap prom dress and that flower in her hair isn’t helping the situation…

7. Katie March 8, 2010 at 07:55 #

As a black girl myself, I see how the Hattie McDaniel tribute may seem fitting, but I think it is ultimately IRONIC and counterproductive.

True, Hattie McDaniel was the first African American to win an Oscar, but the role that she won for was a very cartoonish and stereotypical role that was actually racists in of itself. It was essentially the role of Mammy.

My point is that Hattie McDaniel won an Oscar for portraying a very negative and hurtful stereotype of black women. Something that hurts almost every aspect of life to this day (love life, job prospects, and certainly basic self esteem as a woman). So something that represses so many people doesn’t deserve to be put on a pedestal. I’m not blaming Hattie McDaniel for the stereotype, but the industry she worked in at the time (and actors still work in today).

So while Hattie McDaniel’s win deserves to be in the history books, I don’t think it is should be something any actor should aspire to simply because it is aiming so low.

• ahot March 8, 2010 at 20:49 #

oh, i can feel Mo’nique here. Hattie won despite of those stereotypes, and because she was convincing in that role. I don’t blame Monique , i respect her more for it, as those stereotypes part of the way people think. All you can do is ignore them and not let them hurt you. Should i add that the role Hattie played was one of a (slave) nanny from that time? this is what it was even though it hurts me to think she wasn’t allowed to come on the stage and take her price home; and that’s why Monique (i believe) wanted to honor her.

8. dressaddict March 8, 2010 at 15:13 #

Dull, dull, i wonder what this Tadashi fuss is all about? I just can’t see it…

9. Camille March 8, 2010 at 18:24 #

I love the flower in her hair, just wish she had used one instead of a whole bouquet. The dress looked lovely, but didn’t seem special enough for the Oscars.

10. Pamela March 8, 2010 at 18:39 #

I read that the color of the dress was also a tribute to Ms. McDaniel as it is the same color she wore to accept her award. And as a black woman, I see nothing wrong with Mo paying tribute to her in this way. Stereotypes exist but the fact is that the “mammy” role was a part of African American life back then. Thankfully, it was only “part”. I understand if some feel it is a part we should not be reminded of but Mo obviously felt different about it and that is her right. I’m sure Ms. McDaniel was smiling down on her.

11. mochababe73 March 8, 2010 at 20:14 #

Hattie McDaniel played a role that was about the only one offered at the time for black women. It was an accurate portrayal of how blacks were during that time period who worked in the “big house”. Roles for blacks have come a long way since her time, but actresses like her paved the way so that today’s black actress doesn’t have to worry about taking those types of roles.
    Back to the dress. The color makes it look cheap. I would have preferred Monique to wear the color that he model had on. The fit and everything else is beautiful.

12. ahot March 8, 2010 at 20:50 #

By the way, i do love OTT styling, so for me this (flower) was a winner, and it’s not something we get to see often. (i would have worn it back though)

13. Anna March 13, 2010 at 06:20 #

She looks gorgeous, and this dress looks so much more beautiful on her than on the model! Great pick.