Runway To 2010 Oscars – Diane Kruger In Chanel Couture

We Know You Can Do Better Award
We all had very high hopes for Diane Kruger on the red carpet at the 2010 Oscars.

Unfortunately I really didn’t like her look.

Not a single thing.

Now I know why the model only showed off the back of this Chanel Fall 2009 Couture gown, because from the front it’s a mess.

It doesn’t flatter her. The ruffles around her hips and the black accents really put me off this look.

At present she is my least favourite of the night.

Really shocked by this major disappointment.

Credit: Style.com & London FeaturesWe

2010 Oscars - Carey Mulligan In Prada

2010 Oscars – Carey Mulligan In Prada

Runway To 2010 Oscars - Sandra Bullock In Marchesa

Runway To 2010 Oscars – Sandra Bullock In Marchesa

51 Responses to Runway To 2010 Oscars – Diane Kruger In Chanel Couture

1. robbie March 8, 2010 at 01:30 #

wow chanel, why am i not surprised? she truly has become boring and predictable. such an ugly dress.

2. Hermione Weasley March 8, 2010 at 01:36 #

I hate the dress, but she looks stunning in it. So… I wouldn’t say I don’t like it, overall. Love the make up and hair, though (:

3. Jennifer March 8, 2010 at 01:39 #

I’m not a fan of this at all either…

At least we can comfort ourselves with Zoe right FC?

4. mm March 8, 2010 at 01:40 #

I really feel she chose this dress because it was channel and for no other reason. She was just blah on the red carpet. Even though in all the interviews she was very personable and upbeat, the dress did nothing for her.

5. gaby March 8, 2010 at 01:43 #

must say rather disappointed… wish she have worn something more avant garde

6. Linda March 8, 2010 at 01:48 #

I like this dress. It’s not one that blows me away, but she looks lovely in it.

7. Laura March 8, 2010 at 01:49 #

Diane’s style is a love-hate thing. Like her previous award dresses, E! fashion police hates it but some crtitiques love it. Like this one, I totally love it. If it’s on someone else, the dress will probably outdone her. But on Diane, I think she pulls it off. I personally think she looks great!

• Claire Kelly March 8, 2010 at 03:39 #

Me too!

• kath March 8, 2010 at 04:26 #

I fully agree! I think she looks stunning ;D

• Danika March 8, 2010 at 09:30 #

Definitely! I really loved it when I saw it on the red carpet video last night, and I still love it today! It’s a risky choice, but I think she looks incredible. I would have preferred a red lip with this. I know that might have been predictable, but probably because that would have been the best!

• B March 8, 2010 at 09:39 #

I think so too – it is a bloody complicated dress to pull off, and she’s doing a excellent job of it! I’m so glad she picks these more unconventional pieces, I guess it means not everyone will like them, but I think I’d be much more disappointed if she wore something safer.

• Frommdq March 8, 2010 at 22:59 #

Beautiful dress on beautiful Diane. It was my favorite look for the nigth.

8. wilwarin March 8, 2010 at 01:49 #

i must admit i kind of like it… i love the colour on her, and till thad middle part… i think if there weren’t that middle part this would be perfect.

9. Alfredo March 8, 2010 at 01:52 #

What?!!? Dissaponted?! I love it! She really pulls it off.

10. Laura March 8, 2010 at 01:52 #

My big issue with the dress is the middle. The black, poof, and then black feels real choppy.

11. Melissa March 8, 2010 at 01:59 #

i’ve been in disagreement with you all night FC! (and i’m usually not.) i actually love this dress on diane — maybe it’s not quite oscar-appropriate, but she looks amazing still. and i loved carey mulligan in her dress, too!

• Christopher March 9, 2010 at 18:51 #

AMEN!

12. nicole March 8, 2010 at 02:02 #

i dont agree…
    i thought DK looked outstanding, the dress really compliments her. really romantic and sophisticated at the same time

13. Ev March 8, 2010 at 02:05 #

As much as I don’t think anything bad or good about this dress (I am not a fan of Chanel creations), I absolutely love Diane in it. She looks very beautiful and confident.

14. Carla March 8, 2010 at 02:11 #

well, it´s not really a dress that i thought that i liked (not a fan of this mermaid kind)…but I do, and I like this dress on her.

15. donna March 8, 2010 at 02:21 #

You know what, she still manages to werq in it!!

16. Kathryn March 8, 2010 at 02:26 #

I am not a huge fan of this dress although I think her pose magnifies what is wrong with the dress. In other photos, the middle section doesn’t appear as pouffy. My other huge disappointment Charlize Theron.

17. Crazyfashionaddict March 8, 2010 at 02:29 #

Yeeaahhh- I looked at the gown and thought Sheep ..Then I had the strangest yearning for some curry mutton. Don’t know where that came from

18. Marlyn March 8, 2010 at 02:31 #

I give her points for trying to be original but I don’t like this dress on her. It does nothing for her.

19. Lila H. March 8, 2010 at 02:40 #

Disagree.

I LOVE the dress. It was many people’s favorite from the F/W 09 HC collection. Plus, so many people were gunning for THIS gown to be worn during awards season.

• Vera March 8, 2010 at 05:27 #

…mostly because it was the only nice dress in Chanel Couture Fall collection)

20. mol March 8, 2010 at 03:05 #

Indifferent….

21. Vera March 8, 2010 at 03:55 #

J’adore the dress, hate the hair.

22. Charlotte March 8, 2010 at 05:17 #

I normally agree with you FC, but I think she looks stunning! The dress gives her an interesting, but definitely not unflattering, silhouette.

The color makes her hair and skin look more vibrant.

23. Sharon March 8, 2010 at 05:21 #

What in the world went wrong with this dress? All the parts are beautiful, but put together it looks like something discarded from My Fair Lady. Too bad. I was really looking forward to seeing Diane.

• Fiona March 8, 2010 at 12:18 #

Definitely a look of My Fair Lady, but I still quite like it, it has a look of Edwardian about it which is a bit different. I’m glad she goes to a different place than most of the other girls, just to keep us talking if nothing else!

• easyBlake March 9, 2010 at 01:49 #

My Fair Lady! I think that’s why I like this dress so much, it’s costume-y. Surprising, I usually find Diane’s style overrated and grandmumsy.

24. DM March 8, 2010 at 05:53 #

I have no words…wait…one comes to mind…DISASTER.

• ahot March 8, 2010 at 20:35 #

Me like it! Coun’t on her (and on Zoe) to bring something different .

25. serapart March 8, 2010 at 06:18 #

I like this look, and I think she knows that it is not really flattering her but the dress has a fantasy “alice in wonderland” feeling for me, so it doesnt matter and I think she looks good in it!!

26. Laveena March 8, 2010 at 07:03 #

I know its a gown but it has more of a day dress appeal, not Oscar red carpet worthy

27. Sue Jin March 8, 2010 at 07:47 #

I don’t think I was super disappointed… because she actually pulls it off. the hips area looks kind of off

28. Lexa March 8, 2010 at 11:17 #

I think she is one brave woman. The dress is really difficult to pull off. On someone else it would be a disaster, but Diane looks stunning in it!

29. nicky March 8, 2010 at 11:35 #

she actually pulls it off. this was a different and unique dress…i thought she looked stunning

30. Alex March 8, 2010 at 13:17 #

She looks amazing! Great color! I think she’s the only one who can make this look work.

31. Yinka March 8, 2010 at 13:53 #

I think she looks absolutely stunning in this dress!

32. Mea March 8, 2010 at 14:24 #

I don’t hate the dress, but I don’t even like it. I think that Diane tryed a risky choice like Zoe Saldana… Zoe succeeded, Diane failed.

33. Ashley March 8, 2010 at 15:38 #

What the heck? I also had high hopes for Diane after loving her looks all season. This is flat out ugly. I haven’t been disappointed this badly since Jennifer Connelly at the 2002 Oscars in Balenciaga. That dress was the same sort of peachy beige and made her look sick. She did get dumped by her longtime boyfriend the day before the Oscars which sort of explained how terrible she looked. I think Diane is still with Josh though so no excuse for her! Beige can be SO unflattering if done wrong, even on women as gorgeous as Diane Kruger and Jennifer Connelly.

34. mochababe73 March 8, 2010 at 20:06 #

Heinous. What woman wants to wear a dress that makes her look like a cream puff in the middle? Not even the model looks thin in this dress, and we know how much Karl loves skinny models.

Another Chanel let down.

35. Thomas Monks March 9, 2010 at 00:27 #

I loved this gown when I saw it on the runway and I love it on Diane, she looks stunning

36. masquerade March 9, 2010 at 00:59 #

I actually think this was one of the best looks on the red carpet last night. I think the dress really suited her, and though it wasn’t a surprise at all, she looks gorgeous. I’m really sad she didn’t make it to the

37. masquerade March 9, 2010 at 01:01 #

I actually think this was one of the best looks on the red carpet last night. I think the dress really suited her, and though it wasn’t a surprise at all, she looks gorgeous. I’m really soorry she didn’t make it to the best dressed list.

38. Jen March 9, 2010 at 03:12 #

I have to disagree. I quite like this, (and really hate the yellow Chanel worn by SJP.) Maybe not love, but it’s fresh and unusual.

SJP just looks crazy, overtanned and shapeless. The silver embellishments look like something an alien princess might wear meeting Captain Kirk.

39. Lu March 9, 2010 at 20:13 #

Diane looked great. I love this gown. Everyone else was boring, had something else going on that I hated, or was trying too hard.

40. Jess March 10, 2010 at 21:04 #

No way, I love everything about this dress. The delicacy of the look, the intricate and incredibly complex detailing, the old-fashioned feminine color scheme. It was beautiful, my favorite look of the night.

I wasn’t surprised to see this came from Chanel at all, and I’m so glad that Diane Kruger’s always at least one person out there who’s got the guts to try to pull this off.

41. whitestroke March 10, 2010 at 22:09 #

I didn’t think it was THAT bad. She looked really beautiful. But I was disappointed by her choice. I thought it was predictable, by someone who is often unpredictable. I feel like I’ve seen that dress a thousand times before, and it’s like I was never impressed with it to begin with. SJP’s choice was way more interesting, even though I’m no fan of Chanel to begin with.